Cache back pack or waist pack

scaw

What sort of caching bag or pack do you use or carry?

The reason i ask is i had one of those that goes around the waist which had everything in it for me. I kept my gps in the watter bottle holder and a spare box with swaps and the like in the main compartment. The thing is the clasp had broken so i need something new, not keen on backpacks but have used one in the past.

So what do you all use?

I carry this TB11C5A with me, it holds wet weather gear, small stove and food, my hammock for a good rest. first aid and personal hygiene stuff and of course GEOCACHING PACK. I can add pouches or remove some depending on the adventure. Unlike most of you I dont have a car so the bus is my usual mode of transport and my well worn feet.

Depends on the caching mission. If I am out for the hunt and maybe it's a numbers day, then I have a smallish bag which attachs to my belt. This holds: stamp; date stamp; geocoins; small swaps; pens; small torch; and a multi tool.

If it's a multi cache but not necessarily for the numbers, there may be a bigger chance that on the spot maintenance may be required. In this instance I'll take both the belt bag and a back pack.

If I am doing cache maintenance, then usually just the back pack.

I tend to find that getting things out of the back pack is a pain and the belt bag simplifies this.

I have a knotted red hanky with white spots which I tie at the end of a stick and put over my shoulder. You see, the classic cartoon of the 50's can teach us practical techniques :anitongue:

I also have pockets in my combats for casual caching trips, and a rucksack for longer trips which might need more equipment or snacks and drinks.

I have a camera bag, called a Lowepro Slingshot, which is quite clever because you can swivel it round to your front and access everything from the side without having to take it off. I put my geoaching stuff in there too, it's got a strap that goes around your front to stop it slipping. Good for when clambering over rocks!

Also, because it's a camera bag, it's got separate protective compartments, which is great for the GPSr. It wasn't cheap though.

Yeah little daysaks are a bummer. I hate having to take it off at every cache which is why I'll be looking into getting some ex-army webbing. Instead of an easy reach hand grenade, i'd be going for an easy reach camera, pen, or anything else. Also I believe the webbing would make carrying my camelbak much easier than wrapping it around a daysak.

Aye Aye

I normally wear combat trousers with loads of pockets; that way I can carry most the stuff I need for short walks in seperate pockets.

For a longer walk I take a rucksack, that way I can carry drinks and food with me. I do have a "waist pack" but that has my headtorch and battery pack in it, so that only comes out at night :anitongue:

If I had a waist, I'd wear a waist pack, but I tried it, and owing to my sphericity, the strap has to be so tight, I can't get into the pockets.

So we use shoulder bags, the tracpac (about £10), which has lots of separate areas, some of which are zipped (for must-not-lose stuff). Plus I usually carry a rucksack for the things that are too big to go in the shoulder bag, but which I don't need much (rope, multitool, headlights, spare batteries, torches, extra sweater, hard drives).

In addition, at this time of year, I'm wearing a combat smock, which has nice big pockets for gloves, hat, pencils and a ferw other things I want close by.

I can really recommend the Tracpac

http://www.meanandgreen.com/army/Tracpac/L...g/710/1079.html

Blimey... I just bung stuff I think I might need into my little day sack and off I go.

I just take pens, pencils, paper (for emergency log books) a micro, anti bacs hand gel, bottle of water, palm, trusty caching notebook and my GPS. I'm a simple girl, and thjat's how I cache!!

I just couldn't bring myself to wear a 'bum-bag'. I look a big enough pratt without that!! For normal caching trips I use a modest sized 'Eurohike' back pack. That contains my waterproofs, spare batteries, first aid kit, Leatherman Wave, water, food (sometimes), camera (see below) and anything else I think I may need for that particular outing.

When I go off into the boonies (Scottish Highlands, Brecon Beacons, Pennines or the Moorlands of the English North East, I use a larger rucksack that contains all the above plus full survival and emergency stuff that I wouldn't normally carry.

Having just spent all my 'birthday money' on a new camera that weighs in at a hefty 2Kg with lens, I may have to re-think it a bit and get a bigger backpack for normal use :anibad:

Blimey... I just bung stuff I think I might need into my little day sack and off I go.

I just take pens, pencils, paper (for emergency log books) a micro, anti bacs hand gel, bottle of water, palm, trusty caching notebook and my GPS. I'm a simple girl, and thjat's how I cache!!

I might have a Lowepro Slingshot, but do I carry pens in it? No I do not :anibad:

If I'm out for a days walking I take a daysack, but that's mainly for food, drink, clothing etc.

On a normal geocaching trip it's camera and GPSr on the belt (with lanyard) and the rest (PDA, laminated memory map, pencil, TB's, phone, batteries) in cargo pants (argh Americanism!) or coat pockets. Keys are normally in a zip up or buttoned pocket. Calling cards in camera case. PDA is in a wallet, so I don't need to carry a seperate one.

I very rarely trade, so that makes it easier.

Travel light, move fast. :anibad:

I might have a Lowepro Slingshot, but do I carry pens in it? No I do not :laughing:

ROFLMAO :anibad:

I mostly use a waist pack (2-3litres) for routes less than 4hrs which will hold :-

2lt Platypus hydration + food

digital camera

gps

mp3 player

binoculars

batteries

pda

map

fleece/waterproof

I use a back pack for all day'rs but I'm not keen on them as my back ends up soaking and I seem to always take more than I need

Use a waist pack, just make sure the belt is wide enough, can be tight enough, that the pack doesn't work its way down you bumcheeks!

I use either waist pack with an additional flap at the back to fix to your belt, or a decent cycling waist pack (the webbing is a lot wider around the waist/back area, and has additional short straps at the back)

Only drawback of a waist pack is your trousers fall down... <_<

G

I use a waist pack, and have just bought another for my Insignificant Other, so he doesn't fill mine up with his waterproof, and leave no room for the chocolate (v. important survival equipment, that is!), cache swaps/TBs, dog leads, water bottles, pencil, pda, mobile, money, car keys etc. In summer he does favour the "waistcoat of many pockets" approach, but the long search of all the pockets can be tedious!

The trousers falling down is a definate problem! Luckily I cache in remote areas, or there would have been complaints- no-one needs to see that! I christen it Cacher's Bum. It's worst with low waist jeans I think, or maybe it's more to do with my shape :lostsignal:

I use a waist pack because i prefer them to backpacks as i have really small shoulders and the straps dont stay on............. i have been searching for waist packs but cant find any goodish ones i also looked at the slingshot but the 100 one

I find that you can't beat a camouflaged sedan chair, not only is everything carried for you but if you get to a difficult spot you can send one of the flunkies out to retrieve the cache. Never be without it myself, especially the new all terrain four leg drive version - luxury! :)

:lostsignal::D:D

A step up from the Flintstones mobile :D

I find a shopping trolley to be particularly useful, easily available, waterproof and virtually unbreakable :D

I use a waist pack because i prefer them to backpacks as i have really small shoulders and the straps dont stay on............. i have been searching for waist packs but cant find any goodish ones i also looked at the slingshot but the 100 one

Saw some decent ones in TKMaxx the other weekend, less than a tenner and they looked quite good. Must dig out the one I already own and start using it!