Help! My new Garmin Etrex Freezing up!

Can anyone help me? I just bought a Garmin Etrex Legend Cx today and when I am entering coordinates manually, the unit freezes up. I can not turn it off or on or anything. I searched manual and website for help to reset it. This has happened 3 times this evening. I take the batteries out, put them back in, repeat several times, and magically the unit decides to turn back on. I don't know how to fix the problem and I don't know what I am doing that is causing it to freeze. Any suggestions?

What kind of batteries are you using? Does this happen when the GPSr is connected to external power (USB cable to computer)?

Garmin has an excellent reputation for customer service, however, if it is brand new, you should be able to return it to the merchant if the problem continues.

What kind of batteries are you using? Does this happen when the GPSr is connected to external power (USB cable to computer)?

Garmin has an excellent reputation for customer service, however, if it is brand new, you should be able to return it to the merchant if the problem continues.

I just got it yesterday afternoon. By the time it happened, Garmin's helpline was closed. The GPS was only hooked to the computer to dowload the maps yesterday, so I don't know if it happens then. It runs on AA's. I did change thebatteries out. I was using rechargeable ones, but I will switch to non-rechargeable and see if that helps. If it keeps happening, I am going to return it to Best Buy, but I thought I'd at least wait until Monday to see what Garmin suppport says. However, it's now Saturday morning and I am anxious to try and use my birthday present to go geocaching for the first time. It's my first GPS, and I didn't know if this was a common problem or what! I was hoping someone could give me aheads up or something.

I use the Energizer 15-minute rechargeables and have been using them for more than a year. They work very well, especially the newer 2500 mA ones.

There is even a setting for NiMH or Alkaline batteries in your GPSr.

I did have bad luck with off-brand rechargeables.

If the GPSr is doing that with fresh Alkaline batteries, I would take it back to Best Buy and get a different GPSr that works, out of the box. No reason to waste a whole weekend when you can be out caching. :anitongue: