Windows Vista & Magellan Topo 3D USA problem

I just received my new laptop with Windows Vista operating system. I have been loading all the necessary software on it and am stymied that the operating system refused to load Mapsend Topo 3D USA. It gets about 15% through the first disk and comes back with an error -2 [can't install drivers]. Has anyone else tried to load the software on Vista yet?

Edited by Trail Buzzards

I received my new Windows Vista laptop just this past Monday, and ran into the same problem when attempting to install MapSend Topo 3D USA. I just got off the phone with Magellan support. Apparently the software is not compatible with Windows Vista (driver issue). The gentleman I spoke with said that they would update the Magellan site (MagellanGPS.com) when the drivers are available.

This is disspointing. Luckily, my XP desktop is still up and running, and I can get the maps from there. Unfortunately, I was hoping to be able to take the laptop camping with me, to have more access to Geocaching information (including the mapping software).

Hopefully the issue will be resolved soon.

Teri

I just received my new laptop with Windows Vista operating system. I have been loading all the necessary software on it and am stymied that the operating system refused to load Mapsend Topo 3D USA. It gets about 15% through the first disk and comes back with an error -2 [can't install drivers]. Has anyone else tried to load the software on Vista yet?

I had the same problem and I called Magellan and they couldn't help me. If anybody have a solution I will be very interested to know.

I was able to install the software on Vista with help from this thread. However, after I run it, I was not able to upload a map to my GPS. When I launch Magellan Conversion Manager, it tells me that it cannot find a memory card or my eXplorist, which is connected via USB cable.

Anyone have any thoughts?

well i can confirm that if you install with xp compatibility it will install just fine then you can just run the

program as usual. i installed version 1.00 and all was fine. :anicute:

Cable running down the back, not pointing towards the top?

Computer 'ON', eXplorist 'OFF', connect cable to eXplorist, plug cable into computer, turn on eXplorist.

EXplorist opens in communication mode, select 'File Transfer', it'll give the choice of 'Unit', or 'SD Card',

pick one, when the computer chimes, it's found it, roll with it. . . . Your procedure may be different

but that's how it works on mine. Mac/Parallels/XP sp2.

Norm

Ooops! wrong quotee, this was directed towards Geocaching Photographer

Edited by RRLover

What you need to do is take the laptop back to where you bought and ASK them to uninstall Vista and replace with XP.

If they won't comply, DEMAND a refund.

This is an issue with Magellan's software/drivers not working properly with windows vista, Vistas not the issue(this time). Most PC places aren't going to give you a free copy of XP because you dislike windows vista or some piece of software you run no longer works. Even if you pay for a copy of XP the other issue is allot of new PC's are shipping with hardware that doesn't have drivers for xp, so you are stuck with vista.

I am really surprised that it's been almost a year since this thread started and even longer since windows vista was released and Magellan hasn't fixed this issue. I guess it makes sense to Magellan to leave existing customers behind and just make newer products(triton) that are Windows Vista compatible.

What you need to do is take the laptop back to where you bought and ASK them to uninstall Vista and replace with XP.

If they won't comply, DEMAND a refund.

This is an issue with Magellan's software/drivers not working properly with windows vista, Vistas not the issue(this time). Most PC places aren't going to give you a free copy of XP because you dislike windows vista or some piece of software you run no longer works. Even if you pay for a copy of XP the other issue is allot of new PC's are shipping with hardware that doesn't have drivers for xp, so you are stuck with vista.

I am really surprised that it's been almost a year since this thread started and even longer since windows vista was released and Magellan hasn't fixed this issue. I guess it makes sense to Magellan to leave existing customers behind and just make newer products(triton) that are Windows Vista compatible.

Actually, there is more to it than that. People with Vista laptops are also having trouble with their DeLorme Topo 7 software. IM(not so)HO, it is unreasonable for half a dozen GPS concerns to update to compensate for laptops with weak GPUs and overbloated Vista OSs. So, if it were me, I'd take the thing back for a refund. If I buy a new refrigerator from Circuit City and a day later it has no ice cubes - it goes back! What is so difficult to understand about an inferior product?

Did I ever tell you about the Yugo that I never bought? :laughing:

Actually, there is more to it than that. People with Vista laptops are also having trouble with their DeLorme Topo 7 software. IM(not so)HO, it is unreasonable for half a dozen GPS concerns to update to compensate for laptops with weak GPUs and overbloated Vista OSs. So, if it were me, I'd take the thing back for a refund. If I buy a new refrigerator from Circuit City and a day later it has no ice cubes - it goes back! What is so difficult to understand about an inferior product?

Again this is NOT a windows vista issue, but an issue with Magellan dropping the ball. My garmin GPS software and USB drivers didn't work when windows vista came out, but within a few months garmin had supplied an update that fixed both issues. Delorme topo 7 works fine with windows vista, so I'm really not sure what your getting at with your example.

When windows XP came out it also driver/software compatibility issues, I remember it took HP 6months to release a driver for our office printer. If anything is an inferior product here I would say its the gps & software that hasn't been supported by the manufacture. Everyone knows when a new OS is released that it usually requires updated software and drivers, it's always been this way.

Again this is NOT a windows vista issue, but an issue with Magellan dropping the ball. My garmin GPS software and USB drivers didn't work when windows vista came out, but within a few months garmin had supplied an update that fixed both issues. Delorme topo 7 works fine with windows vista, so I'm really not sure what your getting at with your example.

When windows XP came out it also driver/software compatibility issues, I remember it took HP 6months to release a driver for our office printer. If anything is an inferior product here I would say its the gps & software that hasn't been supported by the manufacture. Everyone knows when a new OS is released that it usually requires updated software and drivers, it's always been this way.

My most sincere, deep and humble apologies for not giving full understanding and sensitivity to the predicament at hand.

In the future, I'll be more considerate and if the shoe doesn't fit, I'll wear it anyway.

The Program compatibility wizard, using XP sp2, worked like a champ. Installed and ran with NO issues. I even ran the 'patch' (MapSendNoCDPatch) so I don't need disc 3 everytime I want to use.

Thanks to those who have contributed to this thread.

Magellan has a faq on how to install MapSend Topo 3D on a Vista machine, using the XP compatibility mode:

http://www.magellangps.com/support/faqdeta...amp;prodid=1044

You may want to give it a try.

Clement

i have a magellan explorist 210. I installed the program mapsend topo 3d using compatibility mode which by the way works flawlessly takes quite a while for all three disk's to load when you use a full install. After having the software installed I conected my gps to my pc in file transfer mode. then i selected the region of the map i wanted to send and named it selected it in the list and selected to upload to gps from the drop down menu under regions. For the explorist 210 you do not have to use the extra conversion software just select the sd card option. It wants the unit serial number it can be found in the units menu under about. then put it back in file transfer mode select the drive that pops up and click finished.