Preview: Is it from future?

Sepp & Berta

Last Sunday evening i had a vision of a coin, which comes from the future. I began to work on my idea and this the result: Coin from Future / Futurecoin (i'm not sure about the name, do you have good ideas?)

futurecoin_frontside.jpgfuturecoin_backside.jpg

I hope you like it...

estimated features:

Diameter: 38mm (longest side)

Thickness: 3 mm

two-tone metal (gold and silver), silk finish (like brushed steel)

yes, icon

trackable (of course!)

The amount depends on your feedback ;-)

Greetings from bavaria,

Sepp & Berta

Interesting look ... sort of 50's industrial with a futuristic flair. The World's Fair style globe and triangular Trek shape work well together.

I'm not sure what it costs, but a message on the three edges (sides) of the coin would be cool.

Words like "Quest" and "Portal" come to my mind for a theme in choosing a name.

Edited by tom4props

Interesting design, and the "Star Trek" lettering still has a futuristic look, despite that it's from the 60s. My concern about this is that there is no obvious connection to geocaching. Granted that a lot of geocoins (including some of my favorites) have no direct connection to geocaching, this one seems to have even less than many of those do. Why does this particular design signify the future of geocaching? I see nothing in the design that is directly connected to the hobby. Perhaps if you can make some "predictions", much as a science fiction author might, about what an ammo can or a GPSr in the 22nd century might look like... just a thought. I really think you need a stronger link; I can guarantee that others will say the same thing, and some won't be nearly as nice about it as I'm trying to be. Please take this as constructive criticism.

Hmmm.. you're right. There is no direct connection. My intention was that the coins looks like a geocoin from the future. Thus the futuristic and minimalistic design - a high tech product maybe with technical features. It could be a communicator with a screen in the middle or it could be a stylish and expensive geocaching device. Maybe we should call it iCoin :anitongue:

Hmm, on the back you could take the 'Trackable at Geocaching.com" text, make it a bit smaller, and wrap it around the gold circle in the center. That'd free up some room at the top for artwork or text related to geocaching.

However, I *do* like the clean looks of the coin, so not adding a lot of extra clutter is key to keeping the look. Expecially if you can keep the front the way it is.

Interesting design, and the "Star Trek" lettering still has a futuristic look, despite that it's from the 60s. My concern about this is that there is no obvious connection to geocaching. Granted that a lot of geocoins (including some of my favorites) have no direct connection to geocaching, this one seems to have even less than many of those do. Why does this particular design signify the future of geocaching? I see nothing in the design that is directly connected to the hobby. Perhaps if you can make some "predictions", much as a science fiction author might, about what an ammo can or a GPSr in the 22nd century might look like... just a thought. I really think you need a stronger link; I can guarantee that others will say the same thing, and some won't be nearly as nice about it as I'm trying to be. Please take this as constructive criticism.

Once again, well said.

If it is the future, would the chip have a GPS transmitter in it. So it would be tracked worldwide?

Front:

GEOCACHING

The logo modified slightly for a futuristic look

Back:

11205-225-225.jpg

Coin done in copper

With "Trackable at geocaching.com and the world PCXXXX" etched on edge of coin.

just an idea :huh:

Edited by Atwell Family

Nice, clean coin. I REALLY like it! what about the whole blue center being a cut-out, then filled with translucent blue with the gold globe sandwiched inbetween the resin layers... visible hologram-like from both sides... kinda like the dragonfly here:

http://www.aetoys.com/geocoins.htm

maybe rim the blue center with a gold ring...

this has sooo many way cool possibilities... just don't give up on the clean, minimalistic style. In this case, less is probably more.

I kinda like this coin. If it gets made please remember me. I will take a few of these.

Edit to add: About the whole non-caching related coin prob with some cachers. If you add a box type area for engraving and have cachers choose on the first run to have their caching nick added and make it personal to each buyer. Up until a date then after that just sell the coin as is or for future runs the cacher can have it engraved somewhere themself. Just a thought.

Edited by GeoSmurfz

Last Sunday evening i had a vision of a coin, which comes from the future. I began to work on my idea and this the result: Coin from Future / Futurecoin (i'm not sure about the name, do you have good ideas?)

I hope you like it...

estimated features:

yes, icon

trackable (of course!)

Greetings from bavaria,

Sepp & Berta

Great looking coin, plain but yet has a great look to it. Hope the cost will be just as great. Would love to see this one in my collection.

I hope you like it...

estimated features:

yes, icon

trackable (of course!)

Greetings from bavaria,

Sepp & Berta

love it just as it is.

don't see why every geocoin has to have the same "caching" theme. its a trackable coin, not a cache. and this trackable coin looks great!

I think that there would be a lot of interest in this coin. The current volume of posts are an indication.

Please remember me for a set of these coins, including any Limited Editions that you may produce.

It resemble to me a GeoPortal to caching on Earth. Beautiful clean design - put the distracting lettering on the sides. Have the front and back encased in translucent epoxy to give it even more depth.

Good luck

LeonW

:D

Edited by LeonW

don't see why every geocoin has to have the same "caching" theme. its a trackable coin, not a cache. and this trackable coin looks great!

This might just sound silly, but because this is Geocaching? I know a real stretch huh. How dare people want Geo with their coins? :D As usual. People will make anything as long as there is someone to buy it, and more power to them. But you really should jump off the bandwagon of beating up on the people who have a different view than yours or wish coins were more caching related than cashing related.

I actually like the coin design. I think it could use a few alterations, including the one Atwell Family suggested, and the wire frame satellite idea sounds nice. I think it should have some futuristic looking Geocaching text though. Perhaps "SEEK" "HIDE" "????" along the three sides? Something to do with the purpose or methods used in geocaching. If the tracking circle was inset on the back and the globe was raised on the front, it would be a neat effect. The center "sphere" would be raised out of the coin effectively. Perhaps some simplistic shapes could be combined on the back to create a border on either side for the Geocaching logo and other associated logos. I like that the coin doesn't have a geocacher name on it. I know personal coins are meant to be neat and spread a persons name, but I find it usually drives me away from an otherwise awesome looking coin because the name is written in big letters, and usually isn't something that makes sense, so it kind of sticks out.

It definitely has potential. I'll look forward to the end result!

-Hybridgeek

This might just sound silly, but because this is Geocaching? I know a real stretch huh. How dare people want Geo with their coins? :D As usual. People will make anything as long as there is someone to buy it, and more power to them. But you really should jump off the bandwagon of beating up on the people who have a different view than yours or wish coins were more caching related than cashing related.

Your response to this thread is a personal attack against me and my opinion of this coin? way to go. sorry i didn't know i was on a bandwagon. maybe you should jump off the bandwagon of beating up on the people who have a different view than yours or wish geocoins were just coins that can be moved and tracked on this website. I think the OP is looking for some constructive criticism so why waste your typing fingers insulting me? lets try to stay on topic here and talk about this coin. If it doesn't have enough Geo on the coin for you, speak up! I happen think its a beautiful coin as is, with a very original idea. I think if you add much more it might lose its clean simple look. I'd be interested in buying a few.

Don't take me wrong, I love the coin. I also like the idea of all the text on the edges. maybe only leave the tracking number in the center on the back.

I think this is one of the better looking coins that's being worked on in a long time. Hope this one is made either trackable or non-trackable. I'd take one either way.

Your response to this thread is a personal attack against me and my opinion of this coin? way to go. sorry i didn't know i was on a bandwagon. maybe you should jump off the bandwagon of beating up on the people who have a different view than yours or wish geocoins were just coins that can be moved and tracked on this website. I think the OP is looking for some constructive criticism so why waste your typing fingers insulting me?

Not a waste of time at all. Was trying to explain the very simple reason of why people like their coin to be caching related since you obviously couldn't find the connection alot of us are having. Seems kind of in your face to me, but then again I get Mr. Obvious. I will be more careful when responding to your posts. I didn't realize anything and everything said could be twisted into a personal attack. My skin is thicker than that.

As for the coin, I have no clue what it is about or for. Simply stating "Geocaching Fuiture" on a piece of metal with no other tie in or giving us something to have a feeling with seems like nothing but a commercial venture with a half thought out idea. If it would be a personal coin I would say nothing since a personal coin could be about anything, but hopefully about the cacher themself. This to me is just about nothing. It tells me nothing. I have been waiting to hear something solid about it, but honestly there seems to be little about it.

I think the "trackable..."phrase and/or a little GC.com logo is plenty. We already know were all interested in geocaching, nothing wrong with sharing personal interest and personalities through custom designed coins. When I finally get a coin out there, I want it to be about sharing my interest with whoever finds it in a cache and be able to share its journey through the tracking system.

Nice coin. I would add wire frame satelites on front, put the tracking number and all the text on the sides and add the Geocaching logo in the middle of the gold circle on the back. That way when someone picks it up and they don't recognise the geocaching logo they will only discover what it is by looking on the sides. Then it will realy look like something from the future! If you could press a button and have it play a bit of Philip Glass that would be ideal :)

Just so you know, this thread was from April, 2007. I don't think this coin was ever made.

That doesn't mean there can't be interest now, but Sepp and Berta would have to still want to make it, if it wasn't made yet.

The coin was made and sold out. Might want to look at one of the coin trading site for it.