Tetanus

Not had me tetanus done for years, and thought it best to pre-empt a problem by getting jabbed for it. Well, seeing as I'm sticking my hands in thorny, mucky places (and caching, too :D ) it seems just as well.

So, walked up to the desk at the local surgery and said "Can I have a tetanus please" - 1 week later (today) I got the jab.

Walked in, sat down, lifted me shirt arm up and couldn't even feel the jab and I am now jabbed for tetanus, diptheria and polio... one pinprick did all 3, well easy! 30 seconds in the nurses office (and she were well fit, too :anitongue: )

Don't put it off like I did :anibad:

Edited by PopUpPirate

Tetanus is one that if you go to A+E for certain things, they will just give it to you automatically IIRC. I had one done at about the correct 10 yr interval, and then turned down one in A+E, after needing face sewn back together by a short sighted nurse, following an unplanned deviation from the road whilst cycling 'briskly'.

Then when working in Holland had to go to South America jungle for 3 months, so needed the entire tetley teabag experience. The 3 way DPT one gave me a bad reaction, apparently because the 10 years for the previous tetanus can mean anything from 5 to 15 years.

Still - I got DPT, Typhoid, Hep-A/B, and Yellow Fever (but declined Malaria tabs, which are next to useless, and make diagnosis a PITA) all for free :anibad: (the jabs that is :anitongue: )

Edited by andy_the_rocketeer

Tetanus can be a problem, but more worrying is that Hepatitis B could be caught far easier off thorny bush or scratchy scrub.

I Orienteered for several years at regional and national level, and The British Orienteering Federation forbid partaking without your legs being covered. They recommend vaccination for Polio, Tetanus and Diphtheria at 10 yearly intervals, but take the Hepatitis risk really seriously. This was due to several cases where orienteers died in the late 1960's and 70's

You can be vaccinated against Hepatitis B, but I would rather avoid catching it, than using vaccination, as Hepatitis B is far deadlier than HIV, as it is far more resilient once on a cold surface.

Pippa

Mines booked for next Tuesday....by coincidence... as I'm off for a week working in Hong Kong and I need the 'full range'.

My appointment is with 'Nurse Christine'.... conjours up all sorts of images.

I hope to get some time for a quick cache....well you never know. I'll certainly have a fully loaded GPS and PDA with me.

SNIP

I am now jabbed for tetanus, diptheria and polio... one pinprick did all 3, well easy! 30 seconds in the nurses office (and she were well fit, too :huh: )

What you had was a pre-school booster :laughing:

I had one last week when Tinkerbell had hers. Tinkerbell was braver than I was but I didnt cry :laughing:

Walked in, sat down, lifted me shirt arm up and couldn't even feel the jab and I am now jabbed for tetanus, diptheria and polio... one pinprick did all 3, well easy! 30 seconds in the nurses office (and she were well fit, too :huh: )

You got a jab for polio? Hermmm I thought they stopped that yrs ago and now give it orally??

Edited by LollyBob

Walked in, sat down, lifted me shirt arm up and couldn't even feel the jab and I am now jabbed for tetanus, diptheria and polio... one pinprick did all 3, well easy! 30 seconds in the nurses office (and she were well fit, too :huh: )

You got a jab for polio? Hermmm I thought they stopped that yrs ago and now give it orally??

I thought you were immune if you periodically ate a sugar cube :laughing:

im allergic to the tetanus injection <_< 20 years ao had a violent reaction to it :angry:

Same here :( , I had to have a course of steroids :anitongue: , ruined my olympic ambitions :P

me too and i had to take valium for a short while also all this and didnt realise i was pregnant at the time

Yes, you get immunised for all three - tetanus, diptheria and polio. Apart from the three childhood jabs, I've had at least two or three extra. It all depends on whether the wound may have been contaminated (and what with!).

Yes, you get immunised for all three - tetanus, diptheria and polio. Apart from the three childhood jabs, I've had at least two or three extra. It all depends on whether the wound may have been contaminated (and what with!).

They give mums the polio too when their babies are immunised, they found that polio was on the increase and that was due to the contents of babies nappies after they had been immunised.

They stopped giving the polio by injection because of the scar it left people with.

Do You really need it!

Check with your GP surgery first

More Info

So out caching up Gloucester way in a quarry area full of fossils..... Mrs B is writing the cache log and I am smacking stones together to get at a fossil and decided to put my thumb in between two rocks as I brought them together..... Yup.. needed tetanus that time!

Chris

A bit like 'bricking' a camel, that B)B)