Mini-Contest: da Vinci Coin Challenge part 1

Redwing_dave

GSKS60105_durer_renaissance_beer_stein.jpg

Now that's a nice mug! I bet Leonardo would be envious. (actually I think if you look closely at the Last Supper, I think one of the apostles is holding that exact mug :o )

Yes, the contest is still on, so as Frivlas mentioned, please refrain from posting links yet. There will be plenty of time to share links and discuss what we've all learned and found after the contest officially ends. I have received another correct answer, which puts J2D2 in 8th place (or first runner-up, however you want to look at it). How bout another Hoorah for J2.

I don't know an exact time when I will officially draw this contest to a close, but it will likely be in the next day or two. Why you ask? Because, hopefully in the next few days I will have photos of the coin proofs that I can post (then again, you never know with mints :blink: ). Once I post those proofs, the REAL contest begins, so I'd like to have this one wrapped up. Also, when I post the proofs, I think it might be a good idea to be able to explain why the heck I've got a picture of a THERMOS on the back of the Vitruvian Man Coin. :(

Thanks again for all your participation everyone. I was skeptical about this contest in the beginning, but now I couldn't be happier that I went through with it. And I have all of you to thank for it. :P

GSKS60105_durer_renaissance_beer_stein.jpg

Now that's a nice mug! I bet Leonardo would be envious. (actually I think if you look closely at the Last Supper, I think one of the apostles is holding that exact mug :o )

Yes, the contest is still on, so as Frivlas mentioned, please refrain from posting links yet. There will be plenty of time to share links and discuss what we've all learned and found after the contest officially ends. I have received another correct answer, which puts J2D2 in 8th place (or first runner-up, however you want to look at it). How bout another Hoorah for J2.

I don't know an exact time when I will officially draw this contest to a close, but it will likely be in the next day or two. Why you ask? Because, hopefully in the next few days I will have photos of the coin proofs that I can post (then again, you never know with mints :blink: ). Once I post those proofs, the REAL contest begins, so I'd like to have this one wrapped up. Also, when I post the proofs, I think it might be a good idea to be able to explain why the heck I've got a picture of a THERMOS on the back of the Vitruvian Man Coin. :(

Thanks again for all your participation everyone. I was skeptical about this contest in the beginning, but now I couldn't be happier that I went through with it. And I have all of you to thank for it. :P

Congrats to all the winers and kudos to all those who've tried. Can't wait to see the coin...

I haven't had any more winners in the last bit. I have however gotten a FLOOD of emails from people who found the full sketch that the mysterious thermos-like picture was taken from (congratulations on that discovery). I don't have time to respond to each of these emails in kind, right now, so instead, I'll address them here.

This is the full sketch (ta-da):

daVinciSketch.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have any sage words of advice on figuring out what this is without giving it away. This definitely is one of da Vinci's more obscure sketches. It's not very easy to find the sketch online, but if you do, chances are it won't make mention anything about what the sketch is of. That's part of the reason I thought this was a good contest (if everyone answered it in the first 5 minutes, what fun would that be?). At least one person looked at the full sketch, and based on the design made a guess at what it was, and happened to be correct (multiple others did the same thing and weren't so lucky). Others have stumbled across one of the few websites out there that actually show the picture and tell what it is. Somebody went to the local bookstore and flipped through every da Vinci book they had until (s)he found the sketch with a description. I know at least a few people found the full sketch without a description, and then while reading somewhere else about Leonardo, read about the item in question(without the sketch), and put 2-and-2 together. If you can read tiny-Italian in reverse, you might even be able to figure it out that way. :huh:

So, if you emailed me a picture of the sketch. Thanks. Sorry I couldn't get back to each of you individually. If you still have the energy and desire, maybe one of the above methods will help. Maybe I even left an obscure hint or two in this very forum (you never know....I'm a very wordy person, so good luck if you decide to use that strategy :) ).

I also haven't heard much about whether people care if there is a drawing for an 8th coin. I thought I would at least hear from the person in 8th place, but who knows. Let me know if there's anyone out there that's interested. No proofs yet, so I'd guess we have at least another day before I close the door on this contest.

signing off,

Dave

Edited by Redwing_dave

This is the full sketch (ta-da):

daVinciSketch.jpg

If you can read tiny-Italian in reverse, you might even be able to figure it out that way. :)

While doing my research, I read about this method of writting, he usually did it to distract from those that might of tried to steal one of his ideas. On that page it actually gave examples of writting and how to decipher it. Of course I have looked at so many links that they are all purple and I could never find it now.

Will you be posting links at a later date so we all have the opportunity to read about this object?

While doing my research, I read about this method of writting, he usually did it to distract from those that might of tried to steal one of his ideas. On that page it actually gave examples of writting and how to decipher it. Of course I have looked at so many links that they are all purple and I could never find it now.

Will you be posting links at a later date so we all have the opportunity to read about this object?

When you said they were all purple I thought it was because I messed up your eyesight by making you stare at the computer so long. :)

After the contest is closed, this will become an open information forum. I will post what I know about the object, with some links, and I'd also like feedback from those that solved the puzzle. Some of them stumbled across some links that contained information that I was not familiar with. I hope everyone will share, because I think there are some really neat things to learn from each other.

I plan to have the Mega-contest (I'm not sure what the real name will be) be entirely in an open forum format (i.e. post whatever you find along the way, so that everybody learns something). In other words, in that contest there will be no need to keep answers secret. The clincher on that contest though is that I only plan to release one set of XLE coins to the person/people who solve the Grand puzzle (or come closest in the time-frame allowed).

Somebody went to the local bookstore and flipped through every da Vinci book they had until (s)he found the sketch with a description.

Hehe that would be my better half and I. Had lots of fun on this task, it was almost like trying to find a geocache. The excitement of finding it was about the same way when we find a cache. Thanks again Redwing_Dave

Storm180

Somebody went to the local bookstore and flipped through every da Vinci book they had until (s)he found the sketch with a description.

Hehe that would be my better half and I. Had lots of fun on this task, it was almost like trying to find a geocache. The excitement of finding it was about the same way when we find a cache. Thanks again Redwing_Dave

Storm180

Thank YOU for being such a great participant. I loved hearing about you and your better half flipping through all the books. All of the contestants ROCK, regardless of whether you've submitted a correct response yet or not! I'm just glad you'd take on the challenge.

Okay, I know that I've got another thread for stuff like this, but I couldn't restrain myself. I just got a pic of one of my proofs back. You guys just get to see the front side (read my other forum thread "sneak peak davinci coins" (or something like that) if you don't know what this is. The back of this coin turned out GREAT too, but I can't show you that just yet without exposing too much of the "da Vinci Challenge"

ARAGOProof1.jpg

I know its rather simplistic, but that's the idea...an exact replica! Just had to share my excitement.

Hey Dave - your enthusiasm was infectious! One can see how much this project means to you and that makes the set even better and the contests that much more fun!

BTW - that is one sweet design. Can't wait till you unveil more. This is like the blockbuster of the summer. A trailer here, a sneak peak there. Loving it. <_<

When will the challenge start?

Sorry for the delay, and the lack of posts lately. I got side tracked with a bunch of things at work, and more importantly there was a problem with one of the dies, so the coins are delayed a bit. :cry: I've been working with the mint to figure things out. I won't be able to start the "Challenge" until I get a sample pic with the new die, so it will be a few days yet. Gotta run right now, but I will post soon to announce the final outcomes of the mini-contest, and post info on the mystery-thermos.

-RD

When will the challenge start?

Sorry for the delay, and the lack of posts lately. I got side tracked with a bunch of things at work, and more importantly there was a problem with one of the dies, so the coins are delayed a bit. :cry: I've been working with the mint to figure things out. I won't be able to start the "Challenge" until I get a sample pic with the new die, so it will be a few days yet. Gotta run right now, but I will post soon to announce the final outcomes of the mini-contest, and post info on the mystery-thermos.

-RD

Thanks for the update. ;)

More pics coming soon, I promise. Still waiting on that die (shouldn't be long now). Maybe I'll share another teaser in the meantime, since two of the coins are ready to mint?

I've been so busy with things that I never formally concluded the mini-contest, so I hereby conclude the contest. :laughing: We ended up with 8 right answers. We originally had 7 places, but I opened it up to voting, to decide whether to have a random drawing for the runners-up, for an additional LE set. As fate would have it, I got one vote from J2D2 (the first and only runner-up) in favor of the random drawing. Since there was only one entry in the random part, J2 randomly falls into 8th place, with the option to purchase an LE set.

Tomorrow I will announce what the drawing is (I'm to tired tonight), but I wanted to share this announcement with all of you, just in case you were watching here for updates:

At one point I mentioned that I would be selling the da Vinci Coin set at the same time I sold the Original Stash Anniversary coins so people could save money on S/H. Unfortunately there was a problem with one of the dies for the da Vinci coin set, so it was delayed a couple weeks. In order to make sure that the Original Stash Anniversary coins make it out to the coin collectors of the world before the anniversary on May 3rd, I had to separate the two sales (the Stash coins go on sale tomorrow). More info on the Original Stash Coins is available HERE. Never fear however, the da Vinci coins are still on track to be spectacular, we just have to wait a couple more weeks to get our hands on them. :anitongue: I apologize for this inconvenience. I really hoped to be able to sell both at the same time, but things don't always work according to plan. Stay tuned for updates.

Until tomorrow.

-RD

GPX Navigators had a good question that I thought I would address here in case any of you have a similar question. They were wondering whether to buy Original Stash coins from the link posted in the forums or directly through me.

If you want Original Stash coins, purchase them through the link in that thread. That link will take you to my minters, who handle all of the sales for me, because I enjoy dreaming up the coins and creating the designs more than I like setting up sales and stuffing 1000 envelopes ;o)

The standard edition da Vinci coins will also be available through the same site (I'll provide a link when the time comes). For those 8 cachers/teams that placed in the da Vinci mini-contest, qualifying for an LE set, I will send you an invoice directly. The LE sets of the da Vinci coins will only come directly from me, they will not be for sale on any sites (I can handle stuffing 8 envelopes...that's more my speed). Hopefully this all makes sense.

Its only 5 AM here, so I'll post more when the cobwebs clear from my brain.

Thanks,

-RD

Okay, I've ignored you all for way too long. Sorry about that. :o I got caught up in minting details, Original Stash Coins, oh yeah, and a little thing called life. :o

So here's the story. The "Thermos" is actually a device designed for minting coins known as a "Screw Press" (very appropriate to put on a geocoin I thought). This exact design was not actually made until the 20th century when IBM funded a project to recreate a working model of da Vinci's coin mint. However, the concept that da Vinci introduced in this sketch was put into practice during the 1500s using the basic components of his idea. At the time da Vinci designed this mint, he was working under a commission for the Roman (Papal) mint. Prior to this time, coins were essentially chunks of metal that were hammered/pressed with a die to impress a design on both sides of the coin. The problem with this process is that it left the coins with unrefined edges, not unlike this image of an ancient Knight Templar Seal (which incidentally will be portrayed on the front of one of the coins in the da Vinci set if I didn't already mention that):

templar1.jpg

Some coins had even more of an unrefined edge than is portrayed above, but I thought I'd stick with the theme. <_< Anyway, since the coins had an unrefined (aka unmilled) edge, it was common practice at the time for people to "clip" coins. When people clipped coins, they'd remove a shaving or chunk from the edge of the coin, and when they had enough of these clippings, they would melt them down for resale. It was hard to catch "clippers" because the coins already had an uneven edge, so the changes rendered from a single clipping were generally not noticeable. Over time however, the coins would gradually dwindle down to nothing because of the clippings being removed.

In response to this problem da Vinci devised the Screw Press, which would apply pressure to a coin and simultaneously strike the impression and trim the edges of the coin. This produced a coin with a "Milled" edge. The milled edge made it much more difficult to clip coins, because the physical appearance of the coin was noticeably changed even by a small clipping. Here's what a milled edge looks like:

bronze-knights.jpg

Okay, I admit, this is a teaser. This is the actual proof of the front of the Knights Templar Geocoin. I thought it was time to shake things up a bit, since this thread had been resting for so long.

Anyway, that's the story of Leonardo's Screw Press. It's hard to say what our beloved Geocoins would be like today if da Vinci had not come up with this idea, but we definitely have him to thank.

So, now you've seen 2 out of 6 of the coin-faces in the series. It shouldn't be long now until I reveal the entire set and start the "da Vinci Coin Challenge." Stay tuned.

Also, a lot of you found some very interesting tidbits that you shared with me during this mini-contest. I would encourage you all to share what you found, especially if you have some good internet links, or any thoughts you have in general.

Sorry for the hiatus. Take Care. -RD :unsure:

"Okay, I've ignored you all for way too long. Sorry about that. I got caught up in minting details, Original Stash Coins, oh yeah, and a little thing called life. "

That last item... "a little thing called life" Wow, what can I say, I guess we all need one but sometimes it's hard to come by <_<

I just came back from Europe. And I made it a point to see all the things from the da vinci code. What an experience. If you ever get a chance go check it out for yourself, do it. I am planning on going back next year. Now I really want a set of these coins. Put me down for 2 sets.

Update:

Sorry it's been awhile. I spent a week on the road for work, and have been battling a sinus infection. I finally had a chance to approve the proof of the Vitruvian Man coin today. :blink: The other two coins are already minted, and awaiting shipment to the U.S. We should have the coins in-hand in about 2 or 3 weeks, at which point the sale will begin, and the "da Vinci Challenge" will begin (I'm waiting to have all the coins in hand so that I can get good pics of them). Stay tuned.

Now I'm off to Goblin Valley for a few days, so if you have any questions, it may take me a bit to get back to you. Thanks for you patience.

I've seen all the proofs now, and let me be the first to say: THIS IS GOING TO BE GOOD!!!!

The wait is almost over! The da Vinci Coins will go on sale sometime during the week of 5/21 (exact date and time TBA). TheCachingPlace is putting up a website for me with the rules and details of the "da Vinci Challenge" (your way to get your hands on one of ten XLE antique copper da Vinci Coin sets by decrypting the coins). As soon as that website is up an running, I'll post the link, but I couldn't wait to post the coin proofs, so here they are:

FRONTS:

daVinci-fronts.jpg

Backs:

daVinci-backs.jpg

Ponder these for awhile, and stay tuned for the official start of the "da Vinci Challenge" and ordering information for the da Vinci Coins!

Just a few updates:

1-The "da Vinci Challenge" has begun. Information can be found HERE if you are interested in playing.

2-The "da Vinci Challenge Geocoins" will go on sale on Thursday, May 24th @ 9:00 AM Mountain Daylight Time. HERE is the link to the sale (try not to break thecachingplace's server come thursday morning :cry: ).

3-I will be posting a list of the Winners of this Mini-Contest here shortly. If you are one of the winners, and would like to purchase the LE set at the winning price, please send an email to Leonardo at daVinciCoins@hotmail.com. Please include your caching name, and the words "Mini-Contest Winner" in the subject to help Leonardo keep these emails separate from the "Challenge" emails. In the body of your email, please provide Leonardo with your real name and mailing address, as well as the email address you would like him to send your paypal invoice to (Frivlas can bypass the paypal info :) ). If you prefer to pay by a method other than paypal, please indicate that in your message to Leonardo. He is happy to take other methods of payment. Leonardo will send out paypal invoices once he has confirmation that the coins have arrived on the N. American continent. I will help him out by mailing the coins to you shortly thereafter.

Please note - the regular edition coins are being sold through thecachingplace.com. They are not selling or mailing the LE coins, so please address questions about LE coins to myself of Leonardo personally.

Thanks again for playing everyone! You were all great!! Good luck in the Challenge.

-RD

Here are the final standings and prices (including U.S. S/H...add $3 for internation S/H) for the winners of the mini-contest. The winners will receive a 3-coin set of antique silver limited edition "da Vinci Challenge Coins." Please follow the instructions in post #72 to arrange payment (where necessary), and to give Leonardo your mailing address. Unfortunately Leonardo had a mishap with his email account, and all of the emails he had from this contest were erased, so even if you already sent your address, please go through the motions one more time.

And the Winners are:

1st - Frivlas = FREE

2nd - coreynjoey = $12

3rd - Storm180 = $15

4th - QuigleyJones = $18

5th - Vaudesir = $21

6th - Wigoweb = $24

7th - GPX Navigators = $27

8th - J2D2 = $30

Congratulations one final time! Now get out there and solve the CHALLENGE!

-RD

Edited by Redwing_dave

Here are the final standings and prices (including U.S. S/H...add $3 for internation S/H) for the winners of the mini-contest. The winners will receive a 3-coin set of antique silver limited edition "da Vinci Challenge Coins." Please follow the instructions in post #72 to arrange payment (where necessary), and to give Leonardo your mailing address. Unfortunately Leonardo had a mishap with his email account, and all of the emails he had from this contest were erased, so even if you already sent your address, please go through the motions one more time.

And the Winners are:

1st - Frivlas = FREE

2nd - coreynjoey = $12

3rd - Storm180 = $15

4th - QuigleyJones = $18

5th - Vaudesir = $21

6th - Wigoweb = $24

7th - GPX Navigators = $27

8th - J2D2 = $30

Congratulations one final time! Now get out there and solve the CHALLENGE!

-RD

Bumping, just in case some of you were off having a ball at GW5 (I wish I could have gone; maybe next year California's not too far away :D ). I have only received the needed information from 3 of the winners. I received confirmation from thecachingplace that the coins are in hand. I'll be picking the LE and XLE coins up from them tomorrow, so I will probably start invoicing soon.

Also, if you missed the sale on the da Vinci Challenge Coins, there are about 40 sets left, and once they're gone, they're gone. Here's the link if you're interested.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

-RD

Sorry for the delay folks. I haven't forgotten about you, I've just bitten off more than I can chew lately. Leonardo has been sleeping on the job (at his age I guess that's acceptable) and hasn't been keeping up with his email. Paypal invoices will go out in the next couple days. Once again, sorry for the delay.

-RD

Will there be a re-minting of the coin?

It's 3 coins, and he said that once they were gone, they are gone, so assume no.

I have no plans to remint the coin set. To be honest, I haven't thought much about it though. If there were a huge demand in the future for more of these coins, I may re-issue a limited run, but like I said, I haven't really thought about it. In all likelihood, there will not be a reminting of the coins. I don't feel that I can take a concrete stand at this point, but I will say the following:

1-Any reminting of the set will not occur in the near future if it takes place at all.

2-If reminting were to occur, it would be a relatively small scale (<100 coin sets).

3-LE and XLE silver and copper coins were limited to 25 and 10 coin sets each, and to keep them LIMITED, they will NEVER be minted again. Releasing more of these would seriously devalue them, and people have, and are working hard at the puzzles to get them, and I commend that effort.

Having said all this, I seriously doubt that I will ever remint the coins, but I'd hate to make a liar of myself if my perspective were to change in the future.

Hope this is clear enough..... :blink:

Thank YOU Dave! :D

We got our LE set yesterday and they are gorgeous. The AS just is a fantastic choice for these coins. Really appreciate the opportunity to have been able to get one.

Maybe staring at 2 sets of these coins will help one solve the real puzzle. :unsure::D Or maybe not. :D

Thanks again!

Edited by GPX Navigators

I'm off to Alaska until July 17th. All coins have been mailed, except Vaudesir and Quigley Jones. I made contact with Vaudesir, and will send coins out when I get back from Alaska. Haven't heard from Quigley yet, but coins are still reserved until I can make contact.

If any of you haven't received your coins yet (besides Vaudesir or Quigley), please let me know, cause they should all be there by now.

Thanks,

-RD