Raiding your own cache.

Well, my opinion is that it isn't "raiding" your own cache! Saying that makes me think that some underhanded action would have to occur...trading evenly from my or any cache is far from underhanded. Nothing shady about it at all!!

I agree with Sbell and the Capt. on the owning of the caches...if my cache gets muggled and the container stolen, are you going to replace it for me exactly as I had it??? No, you expect I should right??

Again your twisting my words. I said you can do what ever you want with your cache. I was just saying that I'm not putting them out so I can find them and take coins from them. I'm not saying that people should not respect that you put time and money into placing that cache. Just that I put caches out for others to enjoy.

Edited by Tweedledum & Tweedledee

Again your twisting my words. I said you can do what ever you want with your cache. I was just saying that I'm not putting them out so I can find them and take coins from them. I'm not saying that people should not respect that you put time and money into placing that cache. Just that I put caches out for others to enjoy.

And the owners of the TB/coin have put it out for others to enjoy. So why not a cache owner? Finding the TB/coin IS the sport to some (there is one local cacher who's whole fun is the TB's, so much so I was tempted to let him know I was bringing a bunch into the area from up north). They aren't "finding caches" they are "finding travelers" - a somewhat different sport.

You say we can do what we want with our caches and that you have no interest in TB's - so why are you using such negative language ("raiding" and such) when discussing it? Your tone comes across as "this is a BAD thing & shouldn't be done" but some of your words are different - which should we believe? If you just wanted to share your opinion, fine, you have done so. You don't have to beat people about the head with multiple repetitions when they don't share it.

I raided my cache today. Finally rid of the snow I went out to check on the cache and drop off a TB someone had given me. I opened it up and checked on the condition of the log. Not bad for being under two feet of snow. There was the small car I had put in there and a beaded necklace someone had left and an acorn. Last year some one had left some silver earrings in the cache and took nothing. I was excited to have such a nice trade item in my cache, but nobody took them and they remained in the cache right through to winter. Had someone traded an acorn for the earrings? Oh well, I tossed the acorn away. I had hated to see the earrings just sit in the cache and maybe end up tarnished. I hoped, at least, that someone was getting good use out of them. I put the cache back in its hidey hole and started to go when it occurred to me to just take a quick look around on the ground because some cachers aren't too careful. Sure enough there buried under some leaf litter were the earrings. This is not the first time I've found things that were in the cache littered on the ground. PEOPLE, PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU LOOK THROUGH A CACHE NOT TO LOSE ANYHING. I pocketed the earrings and I'm going to give them to my sister-in -law. The earrings are apples and she's a teacher. I don't feel bad about this. People had their chance to find the earrings. I try to have nice things and this is the way they treat the cache? Anybody think I'm wrong for doing that? I will probably put a couple small items in the cache the next time I'm around.

And the owners of the TB/coin have put it out for others to enjoy. So why not a cache owner? Finding the TB/coin IS the sport to some (there is one local cacher who's whole fun is the TB's, so much so I was tempted to let him know I was bringing a bunch into the area from up north). They aren't "finding caches" they are "finding travelers" - a somewhat different sport.

You say we can do what we want with our caches and that you have no interest in TB's - so why are you using such negative language ("raiding" and such) when discussing it? Your tone comes across as "this is a BAD thing & shouldn't be done" but some of your words are different - which should we believe? If you just wanted to share your opinion, fine, you have done so. You don't have to beat people about the head with multiple repetitions when they don't share it.

The only things that I have gone on about is when people didn't understand the situation. I wanted to make it clear that the scenarios that I am talking about are when cache owners were trying to beat other cachers to their own caches so they could obtain rare coins. I never told anyone that their opinion is wrong; I just wanted to make sure that people knew what the situation was. As for my usage of the word "raid" that is my opinion of what people are doing.

When you think of it, shouldn't it be the coin owners that should be taking offense to people running out to their own caches to grab a coin when nobody else even had a chance? Even that summary sentence lacks any clarity. Don't coin owners want their coins moved rapidly and frequently, no matter who moves them(as long as they move them quickly and don't steal them). I am both a cache owner and have over 90 coins out there in other people's caches. I too collect coin icons and can't see where people should get bent out of shape because I drop what I'm doing to run out to grab a coin out of my own cache, especially when it's these very people who don't see the point in geocoins, don't want to get involved but love complaining about things that have no bearing on their own lives. Should I rather wait till someone else gets it in a few days and then wait another two to three weeks to find they've dropped it 100s of km away and I'll never see that coin come through my town again? As a coin owner, if you're planning on moving my coins quickly, run out as fast as you can to grab my coins, if they're in your own cache or someone else's, WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE???? Maybe some people should use their time geocaching instead of pouting here in the forums. :huh:

Edited by Micra Man

I just recieved an Email from a TB owner last week asking me to check one of my caches to see if thier TB was still in it.The OP would want me to email the owner and tell them I can not because its not right to FIND my own cache.I suppose if I cant FIND my own cache then I dont have to maintain it.That would be FINDing my own cache again.I did check the cache and the TB was not there.I let the owner know.I have a TB that has been in a cache for almost a year.I emailed the owner of the cache a couple monthes ago to check the TB and possibly move it.No response yet.Maybe he dosnt think that it is permissable as the OP thinks.Just my own oppinion

Search the Geocaching.com pages for "rules" on finding caches/trackables will give you a limited number of guidelines and not much in the way of specific rules. I venture to say there is a good reason for this. Your 'local cachers' are not breaking any rules and if anything, it shows they are very active in playing the game. That is a good thing. The one thing to always remember, Geocaching IS JUST A GAME.

I just recieved an Email from a TB owner last week asking me to check one of my caches to see if thier TB was still in it.The OP would want me to email the owner and tell them I can not because its not right to FIND my own cache.I suppose if I cant FIND my own cache then I dont have to maintain it.That would be FINDing my own cache again.I did check the cache and the TB was not there.I let the owner know.I have a TB that has been in a cache for almost a year.I emailed the owner of the cache a couple monthes ago to check the TB and possibly move it.No response yet.Maybe he dosnt think that it is permissable as the OP thinks.Just my own oppinion

I have said many, many times. I understand that it makes a lot of sense to move TB in your own cache if they have sat idle for a couple of weeks or more. But don't understand why owners would rush out to beat other players to their own cache to beat them to getting to a rare coin. Now that I look back on a couple of the logs I have noticed that some of the instances that I am talking about were for non trackable coins. Like the Easter Bunny Coins. I was never saying that TB's should not be moved as much as possible, just that I didn't seem to think it was right that owners were beating other cachers to their own caches for particular items.

Are you sure you weren't beat out of a coin??

If the coins had been in another nearby cache that I'm watching (and I watch many many caches since I used to collect TBs), would that be any different? I'd still have the same email notification and the same "advantage" that you seem to think was there! I'd guess that most cachers who've been around for awhile (or own a cache, or knows someone that owns a cache) KNOWS that a notice will go to the owner...if they didn't want us to get the prize, they can always drop off the unactivated coin without noting it in the cache...right?

FAIR TRADE! It wasn't as if we go out and just clean out our caches (although we can if we so choose)...ever stop and think that sometimes others drop things in our caches for US? I've seen this on the coin forums very recently with the Easter Egg coin. I've had this happen a few times as well (mostly with TBs, but I did get a very nice surprise recently!!)!

If this STILL bothers you, how about if, next time a coin comes my way, I'll ride my mountain bike to the cache (many are a fair distance from home)...will that even the playing field for you? Would that be more "work" to make us worthy of the same prize that ANYONE is able to get?

Are you sure you weren't beat out of a coin??

If the coins had been in another nearby cache that I'm watching (and I watch many many caches since I used to collect TBs), would that be any different? I'd still have the same email notification and the same "advantage" that you seem to think was there! I'd guess that most cachers who've been around for awhile (or own a cache, or knows someone that owns a cache) KNOWS that a notice will go to the owner...if they didn't want us to get the prize, they can always drop off the unactivated coin without noting it in the cache...right?

FAIR TRADE! It wasn't as if we go out and just clean out our caches (although we can if we so choose)...ever stop and think that sometimes others drop things in our caches for US? I've seen this on the coin forums very recently with the Easter Egg coin. I've had this happen a few times as well (mostly with TBs, but I did get a very nice surprise recently!!)!

If this STILL bothers you, how about if, next time a coin comes my way, I'll ride my mountain bike to the cache (many are a fair distance from home)...will that even the playing field for you? Would that be more "work" to make us worthy of the same prize that ANYONE is able to get?

No, I wasn't beat to a coin.

Maybe the coin owner did want the owner of the cache to have the coin. I don't know. Nothing in the logs made me think so.

If you want to ride your bike to your cache, go for it! Have fun!

I think the point of thid thread has been completely lost in hypothetical situations as there are plenty of valid reasons to go visit your own cache ... I think that is not the point in question ... I think that the OP said something like "raiding your own cache sucks" and a bunch of people twisted it until I had to go back to the original post to even figure out what it was about and so therefore I have written a giant run on sentence to point out the absudity of the continuation of this conversation. Muwahahaha.

Chris

You are right about this being talked to death though....I doubt any minds will be changed here!

Thats exactly the problem with the attitudes of the people in these forums. You hit the nail on the head for once with this comment. Everyone on here is trying to change others opinions. All I wanted to was people to leave their own opinons and not twist mine around. So, for once I am in complete agreence with you!

when your opinion is painting others actions in a tasteless manner as saying we are "raiding our own caches", your opinion is being judgemental...you can be opinionated without the strong wordings! I took most exception to that alone!

I'd say a better way to pose this question would be "what is your opinion of visiting your own cache?"! THEN you can get opinions without the angst!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

You are right about this being talked to death though....I doubt any minds will be changed here!

Thats exactly the problem with the attitudes of the people in these forums. You hit the nail on the head for once with this comment. Everyone on here is trying to change others opinions. All I wanted to was people to leave their own opinons and not twist mine around. So, for once I am in complete agreence with you!

Oh, boo-hoo...

Sounds like someone had his eye on a rare coin like the Easter Bunny/GSA/Geocoin Fairy and got beat in getting it.

As a cache owner I have every right getting anything I dang well please from my own caches.

No one on these forums has a bad attitude except you. There are countless reasons why cache owners can and should visit their own caches, yet you think no one should have that right.

The OP can be summed up with two words: sour grapes.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

My opinion, to state it as clearly as possible, is that there is nothing wrong with the owner of a cache retrieving a coin, a TB, or anything else from the cache for any reason, at any time, period.

This obviously doesn't mesh with your opinion. There HAS been discussion on both sides of the topic, and you have received some support, but so far, most people still don't have a problem with it.

As far as trying to change someones mind about a topic, that's kind of the point behind posting. You just haven't posted anything that compels me to change my mind yet. :blink:

I "raided" one of my caches yesterday to get a signature item. :blink: I left some other items in trade for it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the cache owner retrieving anything from their own cache. Its my cache . . . I can even retrieve the whole container if I want to . . . :o

And Archive it as soon as I get to a computer.

Oh, boo-hoo...

Sounds like someone had his eye on a rare coin like the Easter Bunny/GSA/Geocoin Fairy and got beat in getting it.

As a cache owner I have every right getting anything I dang well please from my own caches.

No one on these forums has a bad attitude except you. There are countless reasons why cache owners can and should visit their own caches, yet you think no one should have that right.

I find myself repeating myself way too much. I wasn't beat to a coin. I don't think I have a bad attitude, but again I guess that's open to interpretation. My point was simply to get peoples opinon of cache owners beating other cachers (not me) to caches to get rare items that sometimes may have been trackables, sometimes not. The point wasn't that I don't want trackable to move. The point wasn't that I don't like cache owners going to their own caches. The point wasn't that I don't think cache owners don't have to right to remove or add itmes or completly remove the cache. Just that I thought it was odd that they were trying to beat other cachers for items that they wanted. I know that was a lot of "my point wasn't..." but that is what people are twisting my words around. I really really don't want to change anyones opinion of what to do with their own caches. I just wanted to know if others thought it was odd.

Oh, boo-hoo...

I find myself repeating myself way too much. I wasn't beat to a coin. I don't think I have a bad attitude, but again I guess that's open to interpretation. My point was simply to get peoples opinon of cache owners beating other cachers (not me) to caches to get rare items that sometimes may have been trackables, sometimes not. The point wasn't that I don't want trackable to move. The point wasn't that I don't like cache owners going to their own caches. The point wasn't that I don't think cache owners don't have to right to remove or add itmes or completly remove the cache. Just that I thought it was odd that they were trying to beat other cachers for items that they wanted. I know that was a lot of "my point wasn't..." but that is what people are twisting my words around. I really really don't want to change anyones opinion of what to do with their own caches. I just wanted to know if others thought it was odd.

This is a forum. Discussion will happen. Obviously this is something few if anyone has a problem with, or has much of an opinion on. No one is twisting words.

Ok try this, you're sitting at home one evening when you get an e-mail. It's a log from one of your caches into which somebody says they just dropped a jeep. You check the site and sure enough it's there all right and nobody except you has a watch on the cache. What are you gonna do ?

1. Leave it alone, it's none of your business

2. Immediatley pay a visit and "discover" it

3. Immediately pay a vist and retrieve it.

4. Phone the local FTF/TB hound and tell them about it.

Jeeps are extremely rare in the UK so when it happened to me I went for option 3 and then put it in another cache the following day. Since then the "discover it" option has been invented so these days I would do that instead. Leave it alone, never.

For me, I don't care who finds the coin, the owner of the cache or the next cacher.

Now having said that, this is why; First, here where I am located, as far as I can tell, I'm the only person to buy coins and release them here in my town for the time being. There are a few cachers here who like to find and move coins that they have previously found in other caches.

I have noticed that TB's only get moved by very few in my area and they sit in caches for months on end, so do coins but not quite as long as TB's. So, as long as someone rushes to get the coin, I'm happy.

I placed 2 coins about 3 months ago in small town Montana. They are still sitting there. The reason I brought them up there was because there is one person in this small town who places most of the caches and it was my way of saying thank you. Well they rushed right out and "discovered" one of the coins but it's still waiting to be moved. I even emailed the cache owner letting them know that I hoped they would pick up the coin and get it moving but they never moved it and that's ok. Next time I'm up there and if the coins are still there, I'm picking them back up and moving them to where people will get the opportunity to see them.

If it gets moving, I'm happy!

Edited by tsunrisebey
My point was simply to get peoples opinon of cache owners beating other cachers (not me) to caches to get rare items that sometimes may have been trackables, sometimes not.

Personally I think your postings have had a definite twist, they are leading questions. You say things like: raid their own caches, supposed to be for the people that worked hard to come find a cache, just swing by and snatch up, rare items.

I say traveling coins and bugs are meant to move and can be moved by anyone, cache owner or otherwise.

Do you disagree with that? Or is it only when it's rare or maybe only when it's hard working cachers?

I'm getting ready to place a few caches myself. I tentatively have to agree with Muddy Chris and the OP. When I place them, it is for others pleasure. Otherwise, why do it? For my own pleasure? I have lots of other hides I can go and find for my own pleasure. I also understand Rockin Roddy's view in that anyone can read the latest postings and get there faster if the "race is on". Personally, (and I fervantly believe that it ALL is a personal consideration, and should continue to be that) I plan on only visiting my cacnes if I get a maintanance request or lots of DNFs or bugs in it with no visits for a few weeks. Only my 2cs worth. My glee will be reading the posting of others that have enjoyed my cleverness. Now.... let's gitter done!

There are lots of games within the overall geocaching game. Some of them appeal more to some geocachers than others. For instance, the FTF game is not my drug of choice. A quick check of my stats will quickly reveal which games I DO like to play most. (psst. In case you don't wanna check, I'm in the top 50 TB finders on this site. Shhhhh.)

Some folks don't GET how others can enjoy the game differently than they do, because they have a high opinion of themselves and wish to look down upon others without like values. They tend to make posts seeking others of their ilk to agree with them and validate their high opinion.

I'm certain the OP was happy to see the post calling owners who visit their own caches to pick up travelers, "SHADY." Can I be "Slim Shady?" <_<

I've had a few exchanges with people like this in the last four years on my own caches and the exchanges are always one-sided, narrow minded, and sometimes quite creepy from their end.

The good news is that folks who have control issues like these tend to either burn out quickly and fade away, (I keep tabs) or geocide to unwittingly provide entertainment for the rest of us. I have seen a case or two where a person like this eased up from their judge's bench, took their blinders off, and learned to enjoy the game on its own merits, but it's a rare thing.

I'm sorry the OP missed out on a coin they were seeking. Maybe they'll be more lucky on the next hunt. <_<

Edited by Snoogans

I'm certain the OP was happy to see the post calling owners who visit their own caches to pick up travelers, "SHADY." Can I be "Slim Shady?" <_<

Yes, you can be slim shady. And I didn't call anyone shady, I said I thought it was a shady practice ... go do it if you wish, I don't really care. I said I'm not gonna.

*cue singing (and possibly dancing)<and likely caching ... when the sun comes up>*

You play it your way

I'll play it mine

Then we'll go have breakfast

Your shoe is untied

(that was an aweful song ... sorry)

Chris

My point was simply to get peoples opinon of cache owners beating other cachers (not me) to caches to get rare items that sometimes may have been trackables, sometimes not. I just wanted to know if others thought it was odd.

My opinion is that it's just fine. If I leave something nice in a cache that I really like, it's to encourage others to try the cache OR to reward the cache owner for his efforts. Either way it's fine with me.

I think this is a legitemate question. If you had done a search, I think you'd have found that it's been asked before and most people don't find it odd.

There are lots of games within the overall geocaching game. Some of them appeal more to some geocachers than others. For instance, the FTF game is not my drug of choice. A quick check of my stats will quickly reveal which games I DO like to play most. (psst. In case you don't wanna check, I'm in the top 50 TB finders on this site. Shhhhh.)

Some folks don't GET how others can enjoy the game differently than they do, because they have a high opinion of themselves and wish to look down upon others without like values. They tend to make posts seeking others of their ilk to agree with them and validate their high opinion.

I'm certain the OP was happy to see the post calling owners who visit their own caches to pick up travelers, "SHADY." Can I be "Slim Shady?" :lostsignal:

I've had a few exchanges with people like this in the last four years on my own caches and the exchanges are always one-sided, narrow minded, and sometimes quite creepy from their end.

The good news is that folks who have control issues like these tend to either burn out quickly and fade away, (I keep tabs) or geocide to unwittingly provide entertainment for the rest of us. I have seen a case or two where a person like this eased up from their judge's bench, took their blinders off, and learned to enjoy the game on its own merits, but it's a rare thing.

I'm sorry the OP missed out on a coin they were seeking. Maybe they'll be more lucky on the next hunt. :)

For about the fifth time now, I wasn't beat to a coin. While looking at some local caches I noticed that the scenario of cache owners beating other cachers to their own cache to get rare (most times) nontrackable coins that others had left. Note that the addition of most times because I went back to look at the logs and most of the coins had been non trackable coins.

I'm not judging anyone and have made it clear that I respect the opinions of any side to this that you wish to take. The only thing that I have tried to stress in my posting is that some of the other postings did not seem to apply to the scenario that I was trying to discuss.

I think its great that people find many different ways to enjoy Geocaching! I know that the way I see geocaching might differ from other cachers and that's okay. I also have enjoyed seeing posting that have disagreed with me. But, posting like yours I don't find okay. I really feel like I am being attacked when I read your post and I don't think that's fair. In fact I find that less fair then people getting items from their own caches.

I'm certain the OP was happy to see the post calling owners who visit their own caches to pick up travelers, "SHADY." Can I be "Slim Shady?" :lostsignal:

I'm sorry the OP missed out on a coin they were seeking. Maybe they'll be more lucky on the next hunt. :)

For about the fifth time now, I wasn't beat to a coin. While looking at some local caches I noticed that the scenario of cache owners beating other cachers to their own cache to get rare (most times) nontrackable coins that others had left. Note that the addition of most times because I went back to look at the logs and most of the coins had been non trackable coins.

I'm not judging anyone and have made it clear that I respect the opinions of any side to this that you wish to take. The only thing that I have tried to stress in my posting is that some of the other postings did not seem to apply to the scenario that I was trying to discuss.

I think its great that people find many different ways to enjoy Geocaching! I know that the way I see geocaching might differ from other cachers and that's okay. I also have enjoyed seeing posting that have disagreed with me. But, posting like yours I don't find okay. I really feel like I am being attacked when I read your post and I don't think that's fair. In fact I find that less fair then people getting items from their own caches.

Me thinks thou doth protestith too much. :D BTW- Everything isn't about YOU.

I'm guilty of pushin' your button about being beat out of a coin. I did read the thread and I wondered if you would restate it again and you DID. :D I'm like a kid in that way. I see a shiny button and I just have to PUSH IT. :D My bad on that. Sorry.

I stand behind every word in the rest of my post. I wasn't attacking you, but relaying my experiences from 4 years of geocaching and cache ownership. I DO revisit MY OWN caches and caches I have already found to pick-up trackables and I HAVE gotten about 4 nastygrams from creepy interested parties on trackables that didn't belong to them. One even made a rude comment on my cache page about one of my revisits to pick up a TB they had left, which I threatened to delete until they retracted their rude entry.

Your OP and subsequent posts are provocative to people like me and I felt compelled to speak my mind. If you can't take the opposite side of the coin, then maybe you should consider a different approach than starting a thread in an open forum.

If the truth hurts then maybe you should reflect upon your position. If it's pointy at the end, has a handle, and would be good for digging.....ummmm, it's probably a spade. :D

Edited by Snoogans

Me thinks thou doth protestith too much. :D BTW- Everything isn't about YOU.

I'm guilty of pushin' your button about being beat out of a coin. I did read the thread and I wondered if you would restate it again and you DID. :D I'm like a kid in that way. I see a shiny button and I just have to PUSH IT. :D My bad on that. Sorry.

I stand behind every word in the rest of my post. I wasn't attacking you, but relaying my experiences from 4 years of geocaching and cache ownership. I DO revisit MY OWN caches and caches I have already found to pick-up trackables and I HAVE gotten about 4 nastygrams from creepy interested parties on trackables that didn't belong to them. One even made a rude comment on my cache page about one of my revisits to pick up a TB they had left, which I threatened to delete until they retracted their rude entry.

Your OP and subsequent posts are provocative to people like me and I felt compelled to speak my mind. If you can't take the opposite side of the coin, then maybe you should consider a different approach than starting a thread in an open forum.

If the truth hurts then maybe you should reflect upon your position. If it's pointy at the end, has a handle, and would be good for digging.....ummmm, it's probably a spade. :D

I respect your opinion and did not attack it like you did me, nor will I. And as stated this was never about not moving trackables. Yes, sometimes trackables were the item in question, but that wasn't my point. My point was that they were beat others to their own caches and I didn't see much sport in doing so. If you don't see a problem in that then that is fine, but all I have asked is that you don't twist my words, or take your frustration about someone that made some comments on your cache page (that wasn't me either).

Me thinks that this is part of the reason that geocaching introduced the "discover" functionality. I am of the same opinion that it is a little unfortunate that cache owners come in and raid their caches so they can get a cool icon. That being said, we have hidden many caches near our home and if we see a cool coin pop up, we will run out to take a look at it. We too think that coins and bugs attract cachers and why would we want to remove it from a cache of ours we want to see get activity.

Me thinks that this is part of the reason that geocaching introduced the "discover" functionality. I am of the same opinion that it is a little unfortunate that cache owners come in and raid their caches so they can get a cool icon. That being said, we have hidden many caches near our home and if we see a cool coin pop up, we will run out to take a look at it. We too think that coins and bugs attract cachers and why would we want to remove it from a cache of ours we want to see get activity.

I agree, some people are only interested in getting an icon. It's that whole 'you moved a coin before I got to log the icon' thing I have a problem with.

Correction, I don't have the problem with them being moved. Other people do.

I have a problem with people complaining about other people moving travelers.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Ding, ding, DING. I feel so validated. :lostsignal:

It's when people have control issues with trackables that don't belong to them that it starts getting creepy for me. That's obsessive behavior.

Of course you also have the option of logging it out and back into the same cache even without the Discover option, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes you can, but I think the OP is complaining about the owner raiding their own cache to get an icon.

I can see his point, but on the flip side an owner should be entitled to some advantages as well if they want. :lostsignal:

Ding, ding, DING. I feel so validated. :lostsignal:

It's when people have control issues with trackables that don't belong to them that it starts getting creepy for me. That's obsessive behavior.

All your trackables are belong to us! :)

My point was simply to get peoples opinon of cache owners beating other cachers (not me) to caches to get rare items that sometimes may have been trackables, sometimes not.

(Twisting removed)

I say traveling coins and bugs are meant to move and can be moved by anyone, cache owner or otherwise.

Do you disagree with that?

(Twisting removed)

Do you disagree with that?

I don't disagree at all! But as I have pointed out the point I was trying to get at was not that the items were trackables, because most of the time they were not. In actuality they were non trackable rare coins. I thought that seemed wrong, but I am not saying that it IS wrong, just that I thought it seemed odd.

Early in my "caching career" the first travel bug I ever retrieved was from a cache I had already found. I felt little shady doing it that way, but I had so much fun moving my first travel bug it was worth it me. Now that I have more experience I have refined the game for myself into what is the most fun.

I have to admit I find it a tiny bit "unsportsmanlike" for cache owners or people who have already found a cache to go back to get trade items, trackables, anything. The reason for this is that the fun part of caching FOR ME is finding the caches. So now, when I get the urge to grab a bug or coin I look for a cache I haven't found and try to beat everyone else to it. That fact that cache owners and previous finders are free to grab stuff too just makes it a little more challenging.

On the other hand my brother, who I introduced to geocaching, has an addiction to travel bugs and will snag one anywhere, anytime. Since he gets so much enjoyment out of that aspect of the game all I can do is give him grief like only a family member can! (He is also an unashamed numbers whore! [:lostsignal:] )

It all boils down to refining what you think is fun about caching and having fun with it! (and dragging your family members out by the ear to enjoy an occasional multi-cache that might actually take some effort!)

I still have to argue that any cache is fair game and I don't care who owns it...period!

For you to insinuate that I am doing something sneaky, underhanded, wrong or odd only means that you think we don't have the right to partake in the same goodies that is fair game to every other cacher. Somehow, the cache owner is not "worthy" to visit their own cache because he knows where it's at and that's just not sporty of us!

I say too bad! If the person leaving the item doesn't want the owner to know about it, they can NOT list it in the log!

edit to remove snide remark!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I still have to argue that any cache is fair game and I don't care who owns it...period!

For you to insinuate that I am doing something sneaky, underhanded, wrong or odd only means that you think we don't have the right to partake in the same goodies that is fair game to every other cacher. Somehow, the cache owner is not "worthy" to visit their own cache because he knows where it's at and that's just not sporty of us!

I say too bad! If the person leaving the item doesn't want the owner to know about it, they can NOT list it in the log!

edit to remove snide remark!

Your right I think it is sneaky, underhanded, wrong, and odd. But, that doesn't mean that that I think that others shouldn't have the right to partake in anything they want to do. This posting is just a prime example of how people, especially you, are twisting my words.

What people need to do is separate travelers from finding caches. They are not about finding caches. They are about being found in caches, being moved from cache to cache. Foremost they are about their missions.

They are not about being a reward for the cacher who made their way to a cache. They are the reward to the cacher who helped it move through the caching world.

If it’s about icons, well then I really don’t care if you missed it. And I really don’t have any sympathy about how someone cheated you from an icon. And I’d probably be annoyed to hear your complaints, especially if all you wanted to do was Discover it.