Five gallon buckets

Like a tree trunk.....

There are 2 I have done. One is simply painted green but its hide location makes that sufficient. Can't see it from most angles with 10 feet. The other was disguised as a bush with a combo of fake greenery, painting and real bush parts. Hidden among a row of similar bushes in a shady area along a pathway.

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Link

Ok find a hole that looks about the size of the bucket and stick it in it. Kick some dirt and leaves around it am blamo! A well hidden cache! Rules, rules... meant to be broken..... just have some fun with geocaching!

I did this cache once that used a bucket as the container. It was a short ways into the woods up a dirt road, it’s a TB cache. To make a true challenge out of it the owner placed about 10 more buckets scattered about the general area. Some full size with the bottoms cut out, some cut in half or more to look like they had been buried. The true cache turned out to be set into a large hollowed stump covered up with bark and leaves. It was not all that hard to find, but I got a chuckle having to go around looking at all the other ‘decoys’.

I wish I took a picture of the latest bucket I put out. I have a buddy who makes vehicle decals and he gave me some scraps - every color of the rainbow, and then some, went onto the bucket. Hide it far enough off the trail and it will be fine.

I've got 3 in the wild, one painted (not doing well, paint is flaking off), one marked with a sharpie (starting to fade) and the other with the decals is doing fine.

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Link

Ok find a hole that looks about the size of the bucket and stick it in it. Kick some dirt and leaves around it am blamo! A well hidden cache! Rules, rules... meant to be broken..... just have some fun with geocaching!

Why is it that I repeatedly think that I sense the presence of a troll whenever I read posts from a certain new poster?

:D

Link

Why is it that I repeatedly think that I sense the presence of a troll whenever I read posts from a certain new poster?

:D

That wasn't very nice.

I did this cache once that used a bucket as the container. It was a short ways into the woods up a dirt road, it’s a TB cache. To make a true challenge out of it the owner placed about 10 more buckets scattered about the general area. Some full size with the bottoms cut out, some cut in half or more to look like they had been buried. The true cache turned out to be set into a large hollowed stump covered up with bark and leaves. It was not all that hard to find, but I got a chuckle having to go around looking at all the other ‘decoys’.

That is a fun cache. We looked through all the decoys as well. We got a real kick out of that one. Just goes to show that proper scouting can make for a very interesting cache placement.

Step 1 - Dig a hole in the ground 2 inches less deep than bucket is tall.

Step 2 - Put bucket in hole.

Step 3 - Put leaves on bucket.

Done!

:anitongue:

That wasn't very nice.

What you were suggesting wasn't very nice. And some rules are there to protect geocaching as a whole. If land managers suddenly started finding 5 gal buckets buried on their property, it'd give geocaching a very bad name, as well as a greatly reduced number of places to hide caches when they ban it from their property.

Vinny & Sue Team were suggesting that perhaps you realized this & were looking to stir the pot, or troll for a flame war.

Maybe you didn't realize that this was an important rule to follow, but it is.

Step 1 - Dig a hole in the ground 2 inches less deep than bucket is tall.

Step 2 - Put bucket in hole.

Step 3 - Put leaves on bucket.

Done!

:anitongue:

That wasn't very nice.

What you were suggesting wasn't very nice. And some rules are there to protect geocaching as a whole. If land managers suddenly started finding 5 gal buckets buried on their property, it'd give geocaching a very bad name, as well as a greatly reduced number of places to hide caches when they ban it from their property.

Vinny & Sue Team were suggesting that perhaps you realized this & were looking to stir the pot, or troll for a flame war.

Maybe you didn't realize that this was an important rule to follow, but it is.

Thank you Too Tall John -- I feel that you explained that very well. And, unfortunately, the flippant and repeated remarks about burying buckets despite the prohibition against doing so is hardly the first troll-like statement uttered by the account holder in question on these forums. I personally find such trolling drivel very tiring. Yes, it is true that such comments may simply be due to general lack of intelligence or lack of maturity, or to some kind of anti-social disorder, but the troll hypothesis so far best fits these behaviors by my reckoning.

to bring this thread back to topic...PEOPLE....

anyways, try using the foam insulation that comes in a can. you know, the stuff that sprays out and then expands to like 20 times...used for around door jambs and windows, and what not. then once that dries, paint it camo colored like a tree trunk. if it's done right, you almost can't tell its not a stump unless of course you are standing right over it. but unkeen observers prolly won't spot one like that.

my couple cents

t.c.

anyways, try using the foam insulation that comes in a can. you know, the stuff that sprays out and then expands to like 20 times...used for around door jambs and windows, and what not. then once that dries, paint it camo colored like a tree trunk. if it's done right, you almost can't tell its not a stump unless of course you are standing right over it. but unkeen observers prolly won't spot one like that.

my couple cents

t.c.

Just curious how long that will last in typical Indiana weather.

I found one once that was hidden in a tree. The hider took a rope and climbed a very tall tree and hung it over a branch. The 5-gal bucket was tied to one end and hoisted up there (must have been at least 50' up there), the other end of the rope was a good 100' away tied to a 2 x 4 "spool" and wedged between 2 other trees. A magnificent hide! Loved it!

my couple cents

t.c.

Just curious how long that will last in typical Indiana weather.

I've never used the stuff in this situation, but I have used it to seal cracks & seams outside in Maine, where it did quite nicely. It's pretty tough stuff, I'd imagine it'd hold up pretty well. If you use a decent paint to seal it, probably even better. Check in the Cool Cache Containers thread, there are a few people who have done "rocks" this way, they will have more insight into the weatherability for this application.

Edited by Too Tall John

It would depend on the location.I have a few large containers.1 is a 3 gallon water jug(white & orange)just sitting by a tree(no cammo).Its far enough from any road or trail that it wont be seen.Another is a 3 gallon bucket at the top of a mtn.Not cammoed but placed behind a large fallen tree and covered with branches from the tree.Another is a 5 gallon bucket painted the same as a film container just 20 feet off the road but in a small grove of trees.I put the containers far enough into the woods that I dont wory about being muggled.If by chance a hunter stumbles upon them I dont think they will bother them thinking its just trash left by loggers.