n00b geocaching GPS around $250?

I have about $250 to spend on a handheld GPS unit that I'll primarily use for geocaching. I've never used a GPS before so I don't know exactly what features I want but it would be nice to have a color screen. What are my best options?

We've not been at this too long.

I bought a Magellan 500Le for $175. Has color screen, expandable memory sd card, and all the features I've needed so far. Have found 11 of the 12 caches we've looked for thus far, so I guess it's not too bad a unit.

Magellan is running a (backordered ) special on the LiIon battery and AC charger for $19.95. You will want that battery, 'cause this thing eats AAA's. I've seen them (the battery)on ebay for next to nothing.Got a car charger from Daydeals for about $10.

I note that Garman seem to be the most popular. So maybe those who have been at caching for some time can give you their reasons for why they like the gps they have. Just know mine seems to work for me, and I'm satisfied with it for now.

Jim

thanks for your input, what's the difference between the garmin ventures and vistas? It would be nice to see some kind of comparison charts, they LOOK the same, but there must be something different. I could spend all day trying to figure it out.

Hi there, I am new to the forums. I am expecting my Garmin Vista CX to arrive today! I went with the eTrex series because I have seen it recommended so often in these forums. I did find one place that will allow a side by side comparison, but I am not sure I am allowed to name a store in the forums. If you want to email me, I will tell you where to look. I got the Vista CX for $245.88 at a marine store, they were willing to price match a major department store and they offered to ship it to my house for free (ordered on Wednesday, should be here today).

Just thought I would offer my limited experience, since I was in your shoes a few days ago.