Dark Side of the Cache

Dooley Noted

With all the compents on copyright and changes suggested for the molds. This could get to be interesting, seeing as the samples should be in hand any day now.

Do you get the molds redone or ignore the obvious and push ahead?

Actually changing to the 4 color GC spectrum would not need a recast die. :lostsignal:

Just replace certain sections with the 4 colors.

I think "the wall" side isn't that big a deal to be worried with.

If it'd used the same font as the album cover and/or the same wall background layout, maybe? :)

The spectrum DSOTM side is definately an issue though, if it were to ever be pursued. :D

D-man :D

I think "the wall" side isn't that big a deal to be worried with.

If it'd used the same font as the album cover and/or the same wall background layout, maybe? :lostsignal:

Compare the coin idea...and some images of "The Wall" hammers and tell me you don't think it's a big deal?

Coin:

dsoc-final.jpg

"The Wall" hammers:

hammers.gif

s_hamlogo.jpg

...There is no "dark side" of the Moon.

All parts of the Moon get sunlight for half a month (about 29.5 days), except for a few deep craters near the poles.

As the moon rotates once per orbit, it keep the same half facing Earth, so the far side is never seen from here, though of course satellites and the Apollo crews have seen it.

The use of the term "dark side" refers to the far side as "dark" in the sense of "unknown”, but even that meaning is no longer valid today...

You need a brush-up in lunar astrophysics :lostsignal::):D

Yes, the moon revolves once every 29.something days, exctly the same period as its orbit around the Earth. The net result is one side is always facing the sun, and one side (the dark side) is always facing away. From Earth we see the whole moon, both the daylight side and the dark side - this is how the phases of the moon happen (full moon = seeing the entire daylight side, new moon = seeing the entire dark side, half-moons seeing half-daylight and half-darkside, etc).

Shifting gears to the copyright issue...ethics aside, this may be an example of "it is better to beg forgiveness than ask permission." *IF* any of Floyd's "people" were to get wind of this coin, and *IF* that led to lawyers being involved, the likely outcome would be a cease & desist letter. Don't mint any more. It's up to the OP whether his ethics allow him to make the coin in the first place...e.g. "tribute" or "rip-off"...

Shifting gears to the copyright issue...ethics aside, this may be an example of "it is better to beg forgiveness than ask permission." *IF* any of Floyd's "people" were to get wind of this coin, and *IF* that led to lawyers being involved, the likely outcome would be a cease & desist letter. Don't mint any more. It's up to the OP whether his ethics allow him to make the coin in the first place...e.g. "tribute" or "rip-off"...

I wholeheartedly disagree...this is NOT a case where you should act without permission.

All parts of the Moon get sunlight for half a month (about 29.5 days), except for a few deep craters near the poles.

As the moon rotates once per orbit, it keep the same half facing Earth, so the far side is never seen from here, though of course satellites and the Apollo crews have seen it.

The use of the term "dark side" refers to the far side as "dark" in the sense of "unknown”, but even that meaning is no longer valid today...

Yes, the moon revolves once every 29.something days, exctly the same period as its orbit around the Earth. The net result is one side is always facing the sun, and one side (the dark side) is always facing away. From Earth we see the whole moon, both the daylight side and the dark side - this is how the phases of the moon happen (full moon = seeing the entire daylight side, new moon = seeing the entire dark side, half-moons seeing half-daylight and half-darkside, etc).

:D:D indeed! :D is more like it!

The net result of the moon revolving once per orbit is that the same side faces the EARTH, not the sun.

That's why the moon's face (the surface features) always looks the same from the Earth.

The fact that the amount of the moon which we see as lit up changes shows that all parts of the moon are lit up during a month. Of course half of the moon is lit up at any time, regardless of what we see. :D

Edited by Bunya

:D:D indeed! :D is more like it!

The net result of the moon revolving once per orbit is that the same side faces the EARTH, not the sun.

That's why the moon's face (the surface features) always looks the same from the Earth.

The fact that the amount of the moon which we see as lit up changes shows that all parts of the moon are lit up during a month. Of course half of the moon is lit up at any time, regardless of what we see. :D

Yeah, what he said.

:D

Either way, Groundspeak will not protect you here from copyright issues. They have stated before that they always leave it up to the coin designer to address any potential copyright and trademark questions.... so, you have a choice to make here.... how lucky do you feel?

Well, the samples are in hand, and the coins are being made.

The "Wall" side hammers are not a copy of the ones used in the picture someone posted - It is a pair of crossed hammers, without the red-white "yin-yang" background.

As for the idea of "rip off" versus "tribute" ... This is most definitely a tribute. It does not hurt any music sales - if anything, it gains more recognition.

I made the pyramid differently than the actual album art - The coin is a triangle with a white beam hitting the outer edge and expanding into a rainbow, like a pyramid. Very similar, but different from the album cover, which has the light going THROUGH the pyramid, in a 3-D style, giving the effect of going in the front and out the back. Also, the background on the final coins will not be solid black, but a black with blue glitter, giving an "outer-space" feel to the coin (stars in the sky) and the light skates across the front of the pyramid, visually, rather than "through" it.

Also, the coin is not being made as a "money maker" -- Yes, I will be selling coins, but for the most part, I am going to be breaking even. Laying out thousands, hoping to sell enough to just break even, and maybe have a few coins to keep for myself and/or trade.

If you are in Southern California, and are a Floyd fan, you should also see my Pink Floyd series of Geocaches which make up a nice power-trail in the mountains across from the Leo Carillo beach near Malibu. Most likely, once the coins arrive, I will be dropping one into each of these caches.

Bottom line is that I am making just one run of these coins, to share my love of the music with the geocaching world. This is not going to be a "series" -- Only a tribute to one of the best bands ever to hit the stage.

Regarding the metals.... The black nickel just did not work. Usually, BN is my favorite metal choice for a coin, but it doesn't work with the black background, even with the glitter. The words are just too hard to read, being that the metal is black, and the epoxy is black.

The coins are being made in:

Standard Edition: Nickel (silver colored)

Limited Edition: Gold

XLE: Copper

The coin is also embedded with a microchip that plays a ripped copy of "Brain Damage/Eclipse" when you touch the pyramid. (Just kidding!)

Would love to see pictures of your samples :unsure:

Also, how are you going to handle sales? Reservations or pre-orders? Is there a list we need to get on?

Thanks for realizing a fitting "tribute" to such a great band! :)

Once I have a good idea of when the coins will be finished, I will be listing them for presale on cointracking.com -- I will also be posting a note here, so stay tuned....

Would love to see pictures of your samples :unsure:

Also, how are you going to handle sales? Reservations or pre-orders? Is there a list we need to get on?

Thanks for realizing a fitting "tribute" to such a great band! :)

I'm also having trouble getting a good picture -- The sparkles do not come out well with the flash, and makes the coin look weird. I tried scanning it on a flatbed, but get the same results..... I'll post pics once I get a good shot.

This is the coin, I finally got a good photo of the sample. They will all be like this one, with the glitter. This is the Gold coin shown here:

darkside-1-sm.jpg

darkside-2-sm.jpg

The coins are in production now, and I expect to have them on-hand by May 7th.

I will be listing them up for pre-sale in about a week or so -- I don't want to list them too early, since Paypal gets antsy about pre-orders longer than 21 days....

Edited by dooley2001

Just a heads up...

The coin is now listed for presale on cointracking website

Notes on the editions:

Standard Edition: Silver Nickel w/ Glitter. 250 made, but more can be re-minted in the future.

Limited Edition: Gold w/ glitter. 100 made, no more will be minted in this edition. Will list these later on.

XLE: Copper w/ Glitter. Only 50 made, and will never be minted again. Will NOT be listed for sale at this time. I haven't decided the route I will go with the XLE, I may decide to make it available only as a set, or maybe even trade only. I can't say for sure, yet....

Just an update.... Actually, a correction:

The Standard is Nickel with Soft enamel. (Specified in the listing)

The others, LE and XLE, are actually imit. HARD enamel (I think I described them as soft)

The Standard is listed on the cointracking website

I listed 25 of the "LE" coins on the geocoinauction website, for a "test run"

Just an update.... Actually, a correction:

The Standard is Nickel with Soft enamel. (Specified in the listing)

The others, LE and XLE, are actually imit. HARD enamel (I think I described them as soft)

The Standard is listed on the cointracking website

I listed 25 of the "LE" coins on the geocoinauction website, for a "test run"

I bought one LE on that site just now...I think...did you get my order?

I paid via Google Checkout...

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Just ordered one in Nickel and I'll be keeping an eye out for the gold. Great job on these coins dooley! :)

PS - I am a big fan of copper coins and Pink Floyd, so I've also got my sites set on a trip to Leo Carillo. :D

Let me know when you are going, Tom, so I can beat you to them! :(B):D I love copper :D

The cointracking site says that sales are "paused", whatever that means. I would like to get one of each metal, if possible. Maybe I'll just e-mail you directly. We live 30 miles apart, straight line, and we still need to get a couple of your Carrillo caches, so maybe we can meet up. Nice work on this!

Just a heads up...

The coin is now listed for presale on cointracking website

Notes on the editions:

Standard Edition: Silver Nickel w/ Glitter. 250 made, but more can be re-minted in the future.

Limited Edition: Gold w/ glitter. 100 made, no more will be minted in this edition. Will list these later on.

XLE: Copper w/ Glitter. Only 50 made, and will never be minted again. Will NOT be listed for sale at this time. I haven't decided the route I will go with the XLE, I may decide to make it available only as a set, or maybe even trade only. I can't say for sure, yet....

:) Says sales are on hold

Very cool coin. Because of this coin my husband is now into caching. He thinks coins are great. Would be interested in buying 2 coins when you get them to give to my husband as a gift. He is a big fan of coins and pink floyd! I liked the earlier statement that there could be a coin for every album.

Hdmama