Dark Side of the Cache

Dooley Noted

This coin is being minted right now for samples, which I should have in my hands in a few days, at which point I will be deciding on metals... Any suggestions on metals and preferences?

The coin will be 1.75 inches in diameter, and the "Limited Edition" will probably have a glitter coating on the side with the prism.

dsoc-final.jpg

Once I have the metals selected, and the final minting process is underway, I will be offering them up for pre-sale.

Each coin is trackable, and will have its own icon (Still working on the icon, should be a small prism/pyramid)

Black Nickel is great how about antique copper for the wall side? I like the design. Will you be trading coins?

The metals I'm getting samples of are as follows:

gold

Nickel

gold imitation hard (With Glitter)

nickel imitation hard

copper (With Glitter)

black nickel (With Glitter)

This will give me an in-hand feel of which ones seem to work best, but I'm quite inclined for the Black Nickel to be the "LE" edition with glitter.

LOL, I knew this was a Pink Floyd theme just by reading the title. Guess for those who know the music certain things jump into mind quickly!

Passing on the coin, though. Maybe as a personal coin it would work, but not as a commercial coin for me.

Did remind me to bust out that CD, though - thanks.

LOL, I knew this was a Pink Floyd theme just by reading the title. Guess for those who know the music certain things jump into mind quickly!

Passing on the coin, though. Maybe as a personal coin it would work, but not as a commercial coin for me.

Are you going to add your moniker to make it a personal coin?

BN seems overwelming but not sure it will really work with the black PMS on the back. If it's not to late I would do the letters on the back as recessed and filled with gold and then the BN will work, not even sure about that, looking a second time with all the other gold lines. Gold is definately my vote.

Edited by Atwell Family

Maybe for an LE version, instead of using black enamel as a fill in color, reverse it so the black area is now all raised metal! Then use a polished black nickel finish.

Echoing an earlier post, maybe you really have two coins here, one for each album. I know all the Pink Floyd fans would go for that! :D

To paraphrase: "Careful with that glitter, Eugene."

Seriously, I'll "run like hell" if they're overdone with that. Glitter may scream the 70's, but it's so not Floyd. The ONLY exception would be that wicked arse black fleck that's on IDTimberwolf's new oval coin. That's much more subtle and not at all gaudy with respect to the subject.

Just my opinion. Feel free to let the pigs fly.

Are you going to add your moniker to make it a personal coin?

Nope, it will be minted as-is. I like personal coins, but I don't need my name on the coin. Just desigining and releasing it is enough for me :-D

To paraphrase: "Careful with that glitter, Eugene."

Seriously, I'll "run like hell" if they're overdone with that. Glitter may scream the 70's, but it's so not Floyd. The ONLY exception would be that wicked arse black fleck that's on IDTimberwolf's new oval coin. That's much more subtle and not at all gaudy with respect to the subject.

Just my opinion. Feel free to let the pigs fly.

Well, I am floating on the wall regarding the glitter. I have some of the samples coming with the glitter, so I can get an idea of how it looks in person, with the coin in hand. I may wind up hating it and not wanting to even hear the word glitter again :-D

I agree, too much glitter would take away, but done right, such as a black glitter that you mention, could make a LE edition stand out.

I love the idea...I think it looks great!

However, I must ask about possible copyright issues with the prism on one side as it is used on the "Dark Side of the Moon" album. On the other side, I know the crossed hammers are prominent in both the album and movie "The Wall"...

However, I must ask about possible copyright issues with the prism on one side as it is used on the "Dark Side of the Moon" album. On the other side, I know the crossed hammers are prominent in both the album and movie "The Wall"...

I was having the same thoughts . . . Pink Floyd jumps out big time as seen by the many references. :D

That being said, I like the design and think black nickel and silver would be nice IMHO.

Edited by Jay Mills

Ditto those concerns here as well. :D

IF you make them, I'm definately in for a couple though. :D

Dark Side of the Moon was my very first album purchased way back in '78 once I realized what Rock-n-Roll was in Jr High. (I was raised on Country :D Lord help me!!)

It was also my very first 8-Track, my very first Cassette, my very first CD, & now my very first mp3 ripped to go on my new iPod!! :D

A bit of trivia for Dark Side of the Moon...

When the album is played simultaneously with the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz, numerous images from the film appear to synchronize with the music and lyrics.

I've actually done this and it's true. :D

smoke.gifAt least I remember it that way! smoke.gif

:anitongue::anibad:

WAAAAY Back in the high school days!!

:D:D

D-man B)

Edited by gridlox

A bit of trivia for Dark Side of the Moon...

When the album is played simultaneously with the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz, numerous images from the film appear to synchronize with the music and lyrics.

D-man :anitongue:

If you think that one is cool check out this list of synchronizations, I had no clue!! The only other one I heard about was The Wall and Alice in Wonderland.

Pink Floyd Movie Synchronizations

I've come on to this topic a bit late, but you’ve just got to understand – we pedants just can’t help it, so here goes: :blink:

There is no "dark side" of the Moon.

All parts of the Moon get sunlight for half a month (about 29.5 days), except for a few deep craters near the poles.

As the moon rotates once per orbit, it keep the same half facing Earth, so the far side is never seen from here, though of course satellites and the Apollo crews have seen it.

The use of the term "dark side" refers to the far side as "dark" in the sense of "unknown”, but even that meaning is no longer valid today!

The spectrum on the coin appears to have six colours, as did the one of the Pink Floyd album cover.

The spectrum is conventionally allocated seven colours (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet), though there is some argument about why Newton did this.

There is some evidence he originally only identified five colours, but made it up to seven because of the analogy with seven notes in the major scale, permitting all sorts of synaesthetic analogies.

So one way to avoid some copyright concerns would be to have a seven colour spectrum! :o

I just got word that the samples were shipped, so I should have them by the end of the week or early next week.

Once I have selected the metals, ad have an idea of when the final coins will arrive, I will be offering some up for pre-sale through coitracking.com

Have you addressed copyright concerns?

Well.. it is an issue - while for geocoins it may seem trivial, I know as an artist I would be a little more than slightly upset if someone used my art and was making a profit.

Theres no reason not to make things your own - it doesnt take alot of work to create an 'inspired' design. Nothing wrong with taking an inspiration, or an image and making it your own to put on a coin, but, I think the issues come when you take artwork, or images and use them exactly as they are.

Its just a concern particularly with popular images or characters. Often, these get people in quite an uproar when used without permission.

Not that I personally am offended, but its always a concern, and I would hate to see a fellow geocoinicker in trouble for using a copyrighted image, or character without permission!

Just something people should always consider when designing a coin.

I've come on to this topic a bit late, but you’ve just got to understand – we pedants just can’t help it, so here goes: :)

There is no "dark side" of the Moon.

All parts of the Moon get sunlight for half a month (about 29.5 days), except for a few deep craters near the poles.

As the moon rotates once per orbit, it keep the same half facing Earth, so the far side is never seen from here, though of course satellites and the Apollo crews have seen it.

The use of the term "dark side" refers to the far side as "dark" in the sense of "unknown”, but even that meaning is no longer valid today!

The spectrum on the coin appears to have six colours, as did the one of the Pink Floyd album cover.

The spectrum is conventionally allocated seven colours (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet), though there is some argument about why Newton did this.

There is some evidence he originally only identified five colours, but made it up to seven because of the analogy with seven notes in the major scale, permitting all sorts of synaesthetic analogies.

So one way to avoid some copyright concerns would be to have a seven colour spectrum! :(

Wow, Bunya- I loved the lesson on the moon. I think I may have know that information at one time in my life, but old age has taken its toll on my brain. It's always nice to have a refresher course and it is always nice to learn new things. THANKS! :huh:

I love the idea...I think it looks great!

Not to be a downer again, but this is another situation where Id be concerned about copyrights - I still see shirts with that logo at Hot Topic, and I think I'd change it a bit before manufacturing a coin for sale with it.

(Ducks from objects being thrown!)

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't want to mess with the lawyers behind the band - I bet they're well financed.

But then, maybe it means what it means when Darth Vader says it. :) (only joking, of course :huh: !!)

I wouldn't want anybody being sued either. It just seems we have to be careful in what ever we do nowadays.

If it was me... I'd change the spectrum to 4 colors. The four colors used in the Geocaching.com logo. :lostsignal:

That way, if a copywrite issue were to come up, it could be presented as a "Parody Coin" of the PF art.

D-man :D

And that way, [The four colors used in the Geocaching.com }one could say that it IS related to geocaching :) !