Geocaching in the Free State

COLYN

Hi, I am going to the Free State for the Easter weekend. How do I find out if there are any caches hidden in the Free State as we would like to play the game while we are visiting the Free State.

Thanks

hendrik & Joey

Do you have MapSource? if so Just click on a map feature and right click and select find near geocaches on geocaching.com. (need v6.12.2)

If not use Geocache search on the website and select co ordinates. (S 27° 38.988 E 027° 14.106) for Bloem.

Does not seem to be very many in the area though.

Hi, I am going to the Free State for the Easter weekend. How do I find out if there are any caches hidden in the Free State as we would like to play the game while we are visiting the Free State.

Thanks

hendrik & Joey

Hi Hendrik & Joey

The easiest way to search for caches if you're a basic member is to search by coordinate:

> Go to the geocaching.com's home page and click on the 'Hide and Seek A Cache' link - hide_seek_down.gif

> This will bring up a more advanced search page

> Fill in the text boxes for the Latitude and Longitude and click 'Search'

> This will bring up all the caches sorted by distance away from the Seach location

Hope this helps

Hi COLYN

Just to put the record - or coordinates - straight; Triptrick gave the coordinates to Kroonstad. You will not find anything there, nearest cache is 60+ km north towards civilization.

Bloemfontein's coordinates is: S29 07.155 E026 13.656.

You will find five (5) caches in Bloem - the rest are in civilization. :anitongue:

Enjoy the hunt

LeonW

Hi COLYN

Just to put the record - or coordinates - straight; Triptrick gave the coordinates to Kroonstad. You will not find anything there, nearest cache is 60+ km north towards civilization.

Bloemfontein's coordinates is: S29 07.155 E026 13.656.

You will find five (5) caches in Bloem - the rest are in civilization. :huh:

Enjoy the hunt

LeonW

Can the words Bloem and Civilization be used in the same sentence? :laughing:

Sorry about the coordinate bungle

Civilization and Bloemfontein can be used in the same sentence, if you are not face to face to a resident of Bloem. Those oke's are big and can through a mean punch. :laughing: I love Bloem except for the winter, wearing a balaclava :huh: and my time in the ARMY :laughing:

Hi

The Free State is fairly big. If you submit a few towns we can be of help.

There are a number of caches around Koppies, Sasolburg, Deneysville and Parys here in the northern part.

Also indicate, more or less, the distance that you would be prepared to travel around each town.

Scary.....

1: There are more than 5 times more caches in a 100km radius of Gauteng than there are caches in the Free State.

2: I have found more caches than there are caches in the Free State.

3: Crystal Fairy has hidden more caches than there are caches in the Free State.

4: The last three caches hidden in the Free State have not been found yet, since February.

5: Nearly half of the caches in the Free State have been placed there since December. (Hello Not Blonde)

Watch out Freestate, I'm coming your way in mid-May. My sister and her husband stays there and I'm getting them into caching. We will find the few that are there together, and they are already making a list of places to place new caches. Bloem is so rich with history, it deserves a lot more caches than there are at the moment.