At-home postage options

Snowwolf75

I've had a stamps.com account for a while so I can have the simplicity of printing stamps at home and not futzing with the post office (which usually isn't open after I get home from work). Unfortunately, I've come to the realization that the monthly fee isn't really worth it, especially when I might be printing 5-8 stamps in a month.

So, I'm looking for alternatives... Ideally it would be something that wouldn't charge a monthly fee. I'd be cool with a surcharge onto postage I purchase, just so I don't have to visit the P.O.

As long as this is up here, it won't hurt to mention that postage rates will be changing in May. 41¢ for one ounce First Class, but the extra ounces will cost less than they do now, so postage for geocoins will actually drop a little :-) There will also be a "forever stamp" which will cost 41¢ and will be good for one ounce First Class forever, or until the Universe collapses :rolleyes: The cost of it will rise when the postage rises, but ones sold before that will still be good, for the new rate, without adding more stamps. An excellent idea!

I've had a stamps.com account for a while so I can have the simplicity of printing stamps at home and not futzing with the post office (which usually isn't open after I get home from work). Unfortunately, I've come to the realization that the monthly fee isn't really worth it, especially when I might be printing 5-8 stamps in a month.

So, I'm looking for alternatives... Ideally it would be something that wouldn't charge a monthly fee. I'd be cool with a surcharge onto postage I purchase, just so I don't have to visit the P.O.

If you are only sending 5-8 packages out a month then paying for stamps.com is a waste. We use stamps.com but we ship hundreds of packages a month so for us it makes sense. I would buy some stamps or use paypal to ship that way you can still get the delivery confirmation cheaper. If you use the multi shipment tool on paypal you can send a package without receiving a payment.

Jake

If you are only sending 5-8 packages out a month then paying for stamps.com is a waste. We use stamps.com but we ship hundreds of packages a month so for us it makes sense. I would buy some stamps or use paypal to ship that way you can still get the delivery confirmation cheaper. If you use the multi shipment tool on paypal you can send a package without receiving a payment.

Jake

It has been mentioned that you need to send and receive in order to capture a persons address, you mention above that if you use the multi shipment tool you can send without receiving anything. Would you care to explain how to do this?

Jake

It has been mentioned that you need to send and receive in order to capture a persons address, you mention above that if you use the multi shipment tool you can send without receiving anything. Would you care to explain how to do this?

you beat me to it.

Edited by coreynjoey

Jake

you beat me to it.

Alright it is getting easier and easier to ship from home domestically but what is the solution for International?

I have been dying to pick up a Dymo Labeler, does anyone know where I can get a good deal?

Edited by Damenace

I post packages the old fashioned way (sort of). I periodically buy old stamps on ebay at 85-90% of face value and use them for postage. It can be tough to find space on a small mailer for snough stamps, but the net result is that I haven't given the P.O. much money in the last few years. And, people generally enjoy seeing the old stamps.

If I'm in a phase where I'm selling tokens, it can be a a bit time consuming. But it isn't thant much harder than printing and applying a label.

not futzing with the post office (which usually isn't open after I get home from work).

Another option might be to tell your local post office to "get with the times." :D Ours has a kiosk in the lobby that's open 24/7 that you can ship packages of most sizes and weights. You just put the package on the scale, and it weighs it. You tell it it's not bigger than 16" (or something like that). You give it the zip code it's going to (there is even an Int'l option), and then you can pay w/ a credit card, and it spits out a stamp for the right postage. It's EXCELLENT! You can even buy delivery confirmation, etc. The only limitation I've found is that the box has to be smaller than 16" square or something like that. So it's definitely not a problem for geocoins. Anyway, I think it's great! Every post office should have one. I don't know how people got through Christmas before this thing. I just go at 9:00 at night and there's never anyone there, so I mail my stuff and go. No more waiting in line for 20+ minutes. You might suggest your local PO get one.

not futzing with the post office (which usually isn't open after I get home from work).

Another option might be to tell your local post office to "get with the times." :D Ours has a kiosk in the lobby that's open 24/7 that you can ship packages of most sizes and weights. You just put the package on the scale, and it weighs it. You tell it it's not bigger than 16" (or something like that). You give it the zip code it's going to (there is even an Int'l option), and then you can pay w/ a credit card, and it spits out a stamp for the right postage. It's EXCELLENT! You can even buy delivery confirmation, etc. The only limitation I've found is that the box has to be smaller than 16" square or something like that. So it's definitely not a problem for geocoins. Anyway, I think it's great! Every post office should have one. I don't know how people got through Christmas before this thing. I just go at 9:00 at night and there's never anyone there, so I mail my stuff and go. No more waiting in line for 20+ minutes. You might suggest your local PO get one.

These are called APC or Automated Postal Centers. I just moved to a smaller city and when I met my Post Man I aksed him if there was an APC in the post office, he had no clue what I was talking about. I visited the local PO and much to my disapointment they do not have one. I feel lost with out it. This was the best way for shipping international, you could visit after hours and never have to deal with a counter worker. Works great!!!

These are called APC or Automated Postal Centers. I just moved to a smaller city and when I met my Post Man I aksed him if there was an APC in the post office, he had no clue what I was talking about. I visited the local PO and much to my disapointment they do not have one. I feel lost with out it. This was the best way for shipping international, you could visit after hours and never have to deal with a counter worker. Works great!!!

Oh cool. Our PO has one, but I always thought it was just for domestic shipments.

Alright after a few minutes of researching it appears as if I found what is being talked about. It appears as if it is a new feature. A feature that I will be trying out!!!

Paypal Multi Ship

Sweet! I followed the link and muddled my way thru the process... I did it, I did it, I did it! :cry:

Works like a charm...well it works like a charm when you don't have popup blocker turned on. :D

I will be using that form of shipping from now on, 14 cent delivery confirmation...hecka cool.

thanks y'all

Pepper

Another option might be to tell your local post office to "get with the times." :cry: Ours has a kiosk in the lobby that's open 24/7 that you can ship packages of most sizes and weights. You just put the package on the scale, and it weighs it. You tell it it's not bigger than 16" (or something like that). You give it the zip code it's going to (there is even an Int'l option), and then you can pay w/ a credit card, and it spits out a stamp for the right postage. It's EXCELLENT! You can even buy delivery confirmation, etc. The only limitation I've found is that the box has to be smaller than 16" square or something like that. So it's definitely not a problem for geocoins. Anyway, I think it's great! Every post office should have one. I don't know how people got through Christmas before this thing. I just go at 9:00 at night and there's never anyone there, so I mail my stuff and go. No more waiting in line for 20+ minutes. You might suggest your local PO get one.

We live in the same area as the original poster, and the local post office does have one of these in the lobby and it WAS so nice and convienent to use 24 hrs a day. But unfortunately due to vandalism, they now have the lobby closed after 6pm. :D Why do people have to ruin things for everyone!

We have one of those in a 24-hour lobby at our post office. It worked great until the end of last year when an update was applied so it won't accept your first package if it costs less than $1.00 to mail! :D I asked the folks at the counter about it and they think it's pretty dumb that it now operates that way.

Now that I know about the PayPal Multi-Ship option, I'll be trying that out. It'll save me a trip to the post office too (at least for domestic packages).

Edited by Ferreter5

We have an APC and I never knew it did international shipments...I have to check that out COOL! We can not use ours for most coin packages it only does postage of $1.00 or more. :D

~tasia~ the best advice is to test weigh several packages and then go down to the PO and have them weigh them also then you will know if you scale is good to use.

Edited by ParentsofSAM

Don't forget that when you use paypal for shipping you have to make sure your mailer is thick enough to qualify for the delivery confirmation. I think it needs to be 3/4" thick (at its thickest point) otherwise the receiver may get a postage due bill for Priority mail rate!

When I've used paypal, I've taken an old bubble mailer and wrapped it around the coins once, then put in another bubble mailer (size 0 so the paypal label fits), that gets it thick enough.

For most shipments lately though I just bought some 24, 63, 87 cent stamps.

also to the person mentioning the rate change... I don't think our coin mailings will qualify for the lower 1st ounce rate because they are not machinable. they will likely fall under either the Flats or the Parcel rates, which won't be too much different from our current rates for a couple coins.

Thanks for all the opinions/info. I'll definitely be looking into the paypal shipping possibility in the near future. The P.O.s local to me do have APCs, but the recent $1 minimum sucks - even if I had a dozen packages to send, it wouldn't let me if the per-package price was under $1. I do have a digital scale at home (purchased through my stamps.com account), so that's one of the good things I got out of it. :}

I just keep a bunch of 24, 63, and 87 cent stamp handy. I have a cheap but good digital scale and just put what postage I need on them and am good to go. Old Fashion but it works.

Team Sand Dollar

This is what I do most of the time as well. except last time I went to buy stamps they were out of 63, so I've been using 87 on most envelopes.

BTW: Post office is upping prices AGAIN. come may.

Thanks for all the opinions/info. I'll definitely be looking into the paypal shipping possibility in the near future. The P.O.s local to me do have APCs, but the recent $1 minimum sucks - even if I had a dozen packages to send, it wouldn't let me if the per-package price was under $1. I do have a digital scale at home (purchased through my stamps.com account), so that's one of the good things I got out of it. :}

I bought a digital scale at my local wal-mart for $20 works well, only bad thing if you can even say that is it has a 3lb maximum, but has been more than adequate so far.

Edited by Nero

Say, what size labels does PayPal generate? And, is there an Avery template that matches it?

I was thinking to make things even easier I could possibly print the labels from PayPal on to peel-and-stick white labels instead of printing onto plain paper and then taping them on.

Say, what size labels does PayPal generate? And, is there an Avery template that matches it?

I was thinking to make things even easier I could possibly print the labels from PayPal on to peel-and-stick white labels instead of printing onto plain paper and then taping them on.

labeluniverse.com

LUCLICKSLW10