Fighting with Magellan over Topo offer, and won.

I bought a Magellan eXplorist 500 in Canada. It came with a coupon on the box for a USA Topo 3D MapSend for $9.99 US, which is useless to a Canadian, unless you are going down to USA. So I phoned them up and explained to them if they are going to offer MapSend software to Canadians, offer a Canadian map. Why would we want to use a USA map in Canada, different country. After phoning them, e-mailing them and fighting with them, they honored the offer to me. They were going to send me a Topo Canada without 3D. SO the fight went on again. It said 3D on the box, that what I want. I settled for the Topo Canada without 3D as they said it was better than a map that would be useless. LMAO :D

The funny thing was, they mailed me the first CD and they said it will take 7 - 10 bussines days USPS. 2 weeks later and nothing. So I called them up again and they sent a replacement CD out for me. The next day the first CD came to me and 2 weeks later, the second CD came. So here I am with 2 Topo Canada and only 1 unit. So I sold one of them on e-bay for $102 with shipping. That will teach them. LMAO :D

Thanks Magellan :lol:

I guess that will teach me to be more persistent. I also complained to Magellan (via email) about the fact that I could only get the USA Topo 3D map with their offer which seemed silly for a unit sold in Canada. Almost as expected, they did not even respond to my request to exchange for the Canadaian Topo maps.

I ended out buying the USA Topo for $10.00 using the coupon, just because I might need it sometime. I haven't bought the Topo Canada yet but probably will sometime in the future.

Maybe its still worth going after them about the Canadian Topo?

Find-me

I bought a Magellan eXplorist 500 in Canada. It came with a coupon on the box for a USA Topo 3D MapSend for $9.99 US, which is useless to a Canadian, unless you are going down to USA. So I phoned them up and explained to them if they are going to offer MapSend software to Canadians, offer a Canadian map. Why would we want to use a USA map in Canada, different country. After phoning them, e-mailing them and fighting with them, they honored the offer to me. They were going to send me a Topo Canada without 3D. SO the fight went on again. It said 3D on the box, that what I want. I settled for the Topo Canada without 3D as they said it was better than a map that would be useless. LMAO :D

The funny thing was, they mailed me the first CD and they said it will take 7 - 10 bussines days USPS. 2 weeks later and nothing. So I called them up again and they sent a replacement CD out for me. The next day the first CD came to me and 2 weeks later, the second CD came. So here I am with 2 Topo Canada and only 1 unit. So I sold one of them on e-bay for $102 with shipping. That will teach them. LMAO :D

Thanks Magellan :lol:

You are probably the first and most definately now the last person who will ever win that battle. I guess you really taught them a lesson.

10 business days is 2 weeks...

You literally stole a copy of the software!!!

I guess two wrongs make a right in your case

Someone should forward this post to Magellan, maybe they could collect their $102...with shipping.

Hey, if you find my wallet on the street someday just mail it back to me without the cash. It sounds like you're that kind of person.

Good for you!

I dont get the negitave responces.

I too had to fight to get the Canadian Topo software, in reality the offer was totally unfair. The sticker on the box did NOT say "not available in Canada" and/or "limited time offer". After purchasing the product and going online I found the details. If the offer is not available don't put the sticker on the box for units ment to send to Canada. The product was sold in Canada with a sticker inside the battery compartment stating the product was made for shipment to Canada so why not offer the Canadian Topo maps? I have no use for US topo maps, I paid in Canadian dollars, from a Canadian retailer (Canadian Tire actually) for use in Canada!!!!! If Magellan sent two copies of the software, the problem falls on their shipping department. How many other Canadians didn't get the offer? Maybe if Magellan did the right thing to start with they wouldn't of had any problems!!!!

Good for you!

I also don't get the negative responses from the above members, Magellan is aware that their products are sold in countries other than the USA and should accommodate the offer made in the country that their products is sold in ,.....or not advertise the mapping offer as a sales gimmick in countries other than USA,.......it is that simple!!!

The OP is a disreputable thief, full of excuses and rationalizations.

The folks here saying "what's the problem?" either lack reading comprehension skills, or need to recalibrate their moral compass.

Let's look at the facts again, please:

At every step of the way, Magellan went above and beyond what could/should be expected in customer support. They extended/ammended a US-based offer to make a Canadian customer happy, and they shipped a REPLACEMENT product when the original shipment was only a day or so overdue from the original shipping estimate.

And what does the customer do? He complains that Magellan packages their product and special offers for the US market without considering Canada. Because he bullied them about a package being "late" (by a day? normal ground shipping?) he gets an extra copy of the product. Then he complains that he didn't get the product he expected (regular Topo instead of Topo 3D). But he got two copies (one by mistake that he instigated). He turns around and sells the extra, and comes here to BOAST about it.

If he was my customer - I'd have offered to return all of his money, and maybe offered some helpful advice like "Don't let the door hit you on the butt on your way out." Smiling politely, of course.

I think Magellan handled it much better than I would have. Kudos to the big M.

Edited by lee_rimar

The Fact that anyone wants to “be nasty enough to get the moderator to lock down this thread” shows a real misunderstanding of what the forum is all about. Please check out the following…

Groundspeak Forum Guidelines:

“While most people are courteous and polite; there are some individuals that choose to behave in a disrespectful and irresponsible manner.”

“Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.”

It would be a perfect world if we all agreed and were of the same mind set, but since this is not a perfect world it would at least be a better world if anyone who wanted to “be nasty enough to get the moderator to lock down this thread” instead got kicked off this site!!

Again congratulations on winning your fight with Magellan and I hope you enjoy your winnings, the topo program is a great benefit to caching and I would suggest looking at the “MapSend Lite Beta” program on the Magellan website as it will add the 3-D to your topo program.

...and what part of selling a second copy erroneously received as not being theft don't you get?

I agree that the second copy should have probably been sent back to Magellan,....

But! ...While you may consider it theft, this individual obviously felt that it was just compensation for his dually purchased item that was incomplete. He was subjected to the frustration of trying to make his purchase whole as represented by the manufacture and also compounded by loss of full function of his newly purchased GPS for 2 weeks or longer. Its Tit-for-Tat the way I see it.

Edited by stutzismydog

What part of " I bought a Magellan eXplorist 500 in Canada" don't you get ???

It came with a coupon on the box for a USA Topo 3D MapSend for $9.99

Now, I'm no maggy fan, but come on! You bought a GPS that isn't supposed to come with maps. The company offers you a discount on one of their other products and you complain that it's not the one you want? They didn't HAVE to give you any coupons at all, and they certainly didn't have to extend the offer to other products to suit YOUR tastes. If USA Topo 3D MapSend isn't useful to you, don't buy it.

Do you walk into the supermarket with a coupon for milk and then demand they give you the same discount on juice because you're lactose intolerant?

As far as the OP goes.... theft plain and simple.

Edited by Mopar

...and what part of selling a second copy erroneously received as not being theft don't you get?

I agree that the second copy should have probably been sent back to Magellan,....

But! ...While you may consider it theft, this individual obviously felt that it was just compensation for his dually purchased item that was incomplete. He was subjected to the frustration of trying to make his purchase whole as represented by the manufacture and also compounded by loss of full function of his newly purchased GPS for 2 weeks or longer. Its Tit-for-Tat the way I see it.

The only thing the manufacturer represented was a GPS and a coupon to purchase a product he didn't want at a discount. He had exactly what the manufacturer represented from day 1 when he walked out of the store with the box.

The Fact that anyone wants to 'be nasty enough to get the moderator to lock down this thread' shows a real misunderstanding of what the forum is all about...
Okay, you got me on a curmudgeonly, poor choice of words.

I've edited my earlier post to eliminate the specific words that seemed to offend you. But I stand by the rest of it. I'll make it even simpler:

The OP did a bad thing.

Anyone who thinks he did a good thing is just as corrupt.

Boasting about it here (or even simply defending it) either means he doesn't know the difference between right and wrong - or that he DOES know the difference while trying to rationalize it away. Anyone who has raised children is probably familiar with both kinds of behaviour.

I'm just expressing my opinion: A thief is a thief -- and anyone who supports a thief is just as bad.

Not trying to be nasty there -- but there's no way to say that nicely.

Edited by lee_rimar

The OP is a disreputable thief, full of excuses and rationalizations.

The folks here saying "what's the problem?" either lack reading comprehension skills, or need to recalibrate their moral compass.

That oughta get the flames going, but let's look at the facts again please:

At every step of the way, Magellan went above and beyond what could/should be expected in customer support. They extended/ammended a US-based offer to make a Canadian customer happy, and they shipped a REPLACEMENT product when the original shipment was only a day or so overdue from the original shipping estimate.

And what does the customer do? He complains that Magellan packages their product and special offers for the US market without considering Canada. Because he bullied them about a package being "late" (by a day? normal ground shipping?) he gets an extra copy of the product. Then he complains that he didn't get the product he expected (regular Topo instead of Topo 3D). But he got two copies (one by mistake that he instigated). He turns around and sells the extra, and comes here to BOAST about it.

If he was my customer - I'd have offered to return all of his money, and maybe offered some helpful advice like "Don't let the door hit you on the butt on your way out." Smiling politely, of course.

I think Magellan handled it much better than I would have. Kudos to the big M.

I agree 100%!!!

...Do you walk into the supermarket with a coupon for milk and then demand they give you the same discount on juice because you're lactose intolerant?
Excellent!

You succinctly nailed a point I wanted to make in my original post, but couldn't figure out the right way to say it. Besides, I was still sputtering in moral indignation too much to focus on such a simple and practical point :rolleyes:

I, to have had some unfavorable experiences with Magellan regarding this offer or lack there of for the Canadian consumer.Just the other day I called Mageelan in California and spoke to a very helpful gentleman (I won't mention his name here) that explained the Canada topo 3D issue to me. We both decided that the software that I am presently using is fine and that I can view the 3D detail using the Mapsend lite software,Still don't have a physical copy of Canada topo 3D in my mitts but for the inconvenience and miss understanding this un-named gentleman sends me the Direct route North America CD,(I didn't ask for anything).I spoke to him on Monday and the software arrived at my door on Tuesday via FedEx.Now I'm not going to pass judgment on anyone but a little respect and patience goes a long long way. poor decisions cause poor reactions. :rolleyes:

What I don't understand is the fact that ALL of the major North American companies, many of which manufacturer goods in Canada, give deeper discounts to Americans on products made in Canada. Take oil for example. We produce and ship a large amount of it south of the border and you pay $2.50-$3.00/gallon, meanwhile us as producers are paying, once converted, $3.50-$4.50/gallon. What gives? (the general reply is taxes, but that only makes up for $0.20-0.30 of the difference)

Another expamle - Toyotas Corolla made in Canada sold inthe US for +/-$17,000 fully loaded sport, same car in Canada $26,000. This is taking conversions into account as well. Figure that one out, more shipping and border fees to go to the US yet we get hosed?

These are just a few of the major inequalities us as Canadians face. Maybe I should sue for discrimination....

Edited by Dragonmaster13

What I don't understand is the fact that ALL of the major North American companies, many of which manufacturer goods in Canada, give deeper discounts to Americans on products made in Canada. Take oil for example. We produce and ship a large amount of it south of the border and you pay $2.50-$3.00/gallon, meanwhile us as producers are paying, once converted, $3.50-$4.50/gallon. What gives? (the general reply is taxes, but that only makes up for $0.20-0.30 of the difference)

Another expamle - Toyotas Corolla made in Canada sold inthe US for +/-$17,000 fully loaded sport, same car in Canada $26,000. This is taking conversions into account as well. Figure that one out, more shipping and border fees to go to the US yet we get hosed?

These are just a few of the major inequalities us as Canadians face. Maybe I should sue for discrimination....

???

I, as an American, am ashamed. I had no idea our neighbors to the North were so oppressed (hosed).

Someone should notify Amnesty International...

Amend the Canadian constitution to give all citizens the right to steal to make up for the price of gas and the ridiculous difference in the cost of fully loaded Toyota Corollas!!!

Hunt down the hosers!!!

That's a childish attitude and does nothing for a legal defense for bad behavior. I have yet to see any court agree with tit-for-tat. It's still theft and it should have been brought to the company's attention. What happens next is up to the company. After that, if the company decided the individual could keep it for his trouble (which Magellan is famous for), then his selling it on E-bay would have been okay.

A skunk by any other name or description still puts out the same stink.

Sue for what? Being born in the wrong country??? You'll have to blame your parents for that.

In the meantime, all products coming to the USA from Canada also face the same fate of fees and taxes. So there's no discrimination to point at. Now you're just trying to stir the pot with poiltics. Get over it.

Actually i did call back Magellan and told them that I did recieved my first CD and I asked if I had to return it. They said it was a replacement warranty CD and I did not have to return it. I guess I should of added this with my original post as alot of people thinks I'm a theft. No I'm not. The package could have been lost in the mail so they sent me a second one. Many here also thinks I am boosting. Well, sucks to be you. I am letting Canadians know that it can be done and and how I got mine. If people want to stir the pot, then go ahead if it turns you on. Sorry about forgetting some detail that was off topic. The moroal of this post was getting a Canada Topo CD from a Magellan USA Topo CD coupon. And it's my right to sell it on E-Bay as it's MINE. Just because somebody tried doing this and didn't succeed, don't go starting war over it. And its on record so Magellan can't sue me. LOL

The "Moral High-Ground" is a slippery slope...

Any of you stone tossers ever "borrow" software? Is all of your music legal? Have you ever photo copied a book without the author's permission?

My most recent Microsoft software came with a faulty CD... I contacted Microsoft and they expedited a new CD to me. To my surprise, they included a new license key with the CD... is it mine to sell? Microsoft obviously knew what they were doing when they sent it out.

Will I sell it? No not my thing... however, if I buy a second PC I suspect I will install it and I'm sure I'll still be able to sleep at night.

Actually i did call back Magellan and told them that I did recieved my first CD and I asked if I had to return it. They said it was a replacement warranty CD and I did not have to return it. I guess I should of added this with my original post as alot of people thinks I'm a theft. No I'm not. The package could have been lost in the mail so they sent me a second one. Many here also thinks I am boosting. Well, sucks to be you. I am letting Canadians know that it can be done and and how I got mine. If people want to stir the pot, then go ahead if it turns you on. Sorry about forgetting some detail that was off topic. The moroal of this post was getting a Canada Topo CD from a Magellan USA Topo CD coupon. And it's my right to sell it on E-Bay as it's MINE. Just because somebody tried doing this and didn't succeed, don't go starting war over it. And its on record so Magellan can't sue me. LOL

Well with the added detail here, I would delete my posts if I could. Good for you at doing the right thing.

The "Moral High-Ground" is a slippery slope...

Any of you stone tossers ever "borrow" software? Is all of your music legal? Have you ever photo copied a book without the author's permission?

My most recent Microsoft software came with a faulty CD... I contacted Microsoft and they expedited a new CD to me. To my surprise, they included a new license key with the CD... is it mine to sell? Microsoft obviously knew what they were doing when they sent it out.

Will I sell it? No not my thing... however, if I buy a second PC I suspect I will install it and I'm sure I'll still be able to sleep at night.

Photo copying a book is allowed by copyright law for research purposes as long as the research is not done for profit. Even though it is courteous to ask in these situations, you don't need the author's permission as long as you cite the source.

I can copy all my music all I want so long as it is for my personal use.

"Borrowing" software for more than one PC is legal so long as you can guarantee that only one license is being used at any given time and that it is allowed by the EULA. Ever read those? Some EULA's allow the dual installation of the software on a desktop and a laptop unless the EULA usage is specified by seat or similar wording. For the dual installation, people get caught on that "slippery slope" when it's being used at the same time on both devices.

Caveat emptor: With my above examples, there are exceptions.

However, you have missed the point of the slapdown the OP received. The OP inadvertently lead folks to believe he was bragging in this thread about the thievery. You can expect to get slapped down in these forjums for that. This isn't the first time that has happened. The OP discovered his detail error and posted his correction just above you to fix what he started.

One other point I need to make. I will take fast exception when anybody tells me I shouldn't voice my moral indignation at the braggery of the theft.

Edited by TotemLake

The US is one of if not THE largest consumer in the world...Everyone wants to sell to us so they, at times, give the Us a better deal. As far as gas..maybe we are better at negotiating prices.

The US is one of if not THE largest consumer in the world...Everyone wants to sell to us so they, at times, give the Us a better deal. As far as gas..maybe we are better at negotiating prices.

What about all those drugs that we get gouged for here in the US, but sell for cheaper north of the border. And now our retirees are being criminalized for ordering drugs from Canadian drug stores that have lower prices. I guess some things ARE cheaper in Canada!

On the other side of the coin, why do Americans pay $100.00 for the same drug that Canadians and Mexicans get for $20.00? And we're talking about drugs produced here in the United States... Seems like we should be paying $20.00 and the rest of the world should be paying $100.00!

Edited by Neo_Geo

On the other side of the coin, why do Americans pay $100.00 for the same drug that Canadians and Mexicans get for $20.00? And we're talking about drugs produced here in the United States... Seems like we should be paying $20.00 and the rest of the world should be paying $100.00!

I don't know about Canada, but drugs from Mexico rarely go through any quality controls, which accounts for the low price. At least you know you are getting viagra when you purchase it in the states. You could be eating clorox if you purchase the drugs from Mexico, there's not really any way of knowing. You could probably purchase aged beef from Mexico at a huge discount, but I'm not sure that I would trust the meat to be free from bacteria. You get what you pay for... Almost always true.

you also have to realize a lot of other countries pay much higher taxes and a lot include health care as a part of that..some places do it well but most places even though the health care system is paid for by the government there are massive waiting lists for critical procedures as well as the over all quality is minimal.

and generally frivolous health care lawsuits dont happen other places like they do here. A lot of america is sue happy trying to get that quick dollar.

Edited by chandljl