A Penny for a trade?

UOTrackers

OK bear with me, this might be a crazy question. Paypal has a wonderful feature I use quite often with ebay. It's a mailing/shipping payment option where I can go in and tell it how much the package weighs, where it's going and how I want it shipped, then it spits out the label and has a sort of tracking to it. But so far, and I might be wrong, it looks like I can only do this for things I receive paypal payments for. I was thinking back to Christmas when some vendors sold coins for a penny in order to use Paypal and their shipment things.

So my question is, do you think it's crazy to have someone pay a penny through paypal when trading in order to use this system?

I don't mind if people say yeah it's crazy, I sorta think it is, I jsut don't know any other way. It's so easy to track through paypal what has and hasn't been shipped and see if it's arrived.

Please toss out your ideas!

Thanks

I always ship through paypal for trades. Just use their multi order shipping tool, it doesn't have to be for a paypal order.

Teach me how to use it!!!! I also love that I can just drop those packages into the mailbox, it's much easier than having to grab them and Bella and go to the Post office then stand in line!

I always ship through paypal for trades. Just use their multi order shipping tool, it doesn't have to be for a paypal order.

Really??? I never knew..... :D

So do you type all the name/address info in?

I just cut and paste the names and addresses from email.

Well that would work for that part, but it wouldn't keep track of what you have and have not sent so much. For example, when a payment comes in , it says next to the name "complete shipping label" or something like that, so I can easily scan that page and see who I have missed. It's automatic because it is a received payment.

hmmm. Well for anyone else, would you pay a penny? (I'll put it back in the envelope with your trade!)

Teach me how to use it!!!! I also love that I can just drop those packages into the mailbox, it's much easier than having to grab them and Bella and go to the Post office then stand in line!

If you log into paypal and go to the auction tools tab, at the bottom of that page is a link for Multi order shipping. You can put in as many address as you want then pay and print them all at once.

Really??? I never knew..... :D

So do you type all the name/address info in?

I just cut and paste the names and addresses from email.

Well that would work for that part, but it wouldn't keep track of what you have and have not sent so much. For example, when a payment comes in , it says next to the name "complete shipping label" or something like that, so I can easily scan that page and see who I have missed. It's automatic because it is a received payment.

hmmm. Well for anyone else, would you pay a penny? (I'll put it back in the envelope with your trade!)

It has a history tab that shows you who you made a label for by date. It also emails you that you made a label for so and so and has tracking.

Search the forums for I think someone tried to do this a little over a year ago. When PayPal caught on, they put a stop to it -- if I recall correctly. I think it's a great idea if it were permitted.

...Anthus

So, then the question is "is it permitted" ?

I cannot find any restriction on use of multi-order shipping to manually create labels. Let me know if I missed something here:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cm..._home&flow=

Can someone please explain in detail what is trying to be accomplished here? It is my understanding that you Paypal a penny to someone then they Paypal a penny back. You would have to do this every time you trade correct?

If this was to work the way that I think it would work this would be cheaper than using Stamps,com because there would be no additional fee to pay thorugh Paypal other than the initial penny.

Edited by Damenace

Your not crazy, I have done this it just makes life SO easy !! did not try to do like coreyandjoey will have to check this out, Just have either sent a penny for a trade coming to me, or asked a trader to send a penny to me to be able to spit out a shipping label for me to send trade out ! Drop in the mail box and done, also D/C is .15 cents at the P/O its 60 cents, so add tracking on package as well cheep :D , Glenn

Can someone please explain in detail what is trying to be accomplished here? It is my understanding that you Paypal a penny to someone then they Paypal a penny back. You would have to do this every time you trade correct?

If this was to work the way that I think it would work this would be cheaper than using Stamps,com because there would be no additional fee to pay thorugh Paypal other than the initial penny.

Ah, so that's what that funky email I got today was!

OK, so when you receive a payment through paypal, it automatically assumes (I think) that it is for some goods, so next to the name of the payee is the option to print a shipping label. So you go through that (For US ones, I haven't figured out international yet), and it allows you to customize your shipment, for the example of most geocoins, you would choose first class mail, thick/padded envelope then the weight (I use a kitchen scale and round up for safety). It automatically adds on a sort of confirmation for .14. Then it brings you to a page where you can print the label! Tape that sucker to the package then toss it into the closest mailbox! With the .01 payment it's just (IMO) easier to see what you have sitting in your "inventory", what needs a label printed and you can also check the delivery confirmation.

I hope that explains it well enough. What CoreyandJoey said is that you don't have to have a payment in order to use the system, for me it just seems easier because it's all right in front of you each time your log into paypal.

Interesting Thread, I just put a deposit on my new Personal Coin (details to follow soon)

Just checked Paypal Multi order shipping is only good for domestic Shipment based in the US so a shipper from Canada (Like me is unable to take advantage of the system :D ) I like the penny Idea as Hope to be doing some of trading when my coin is complete sometime in May.

Interesting Thread, I just put a deposit on my new Personal Coin (details to follow soon)

Just checked Paypal Multi order shipping is only good for domestic Shipment based in the US so a shipper from Canada (Like me is unable to take advantage of the system :D ) I like the penny Idea as Hope to be doing some of trading when my coin is complete sometime in May.

Yea, it doesn't let you do international shipments. Slighty OT, but is there a way to do international shipments online without having to go to the post office?

For UK based folks the Royal Mail web site allows printing shipping labels and customs forms for international postage as well as for domestic. Couldn't be without it now, as mentioned it is _so_ much easier that having to go off to the post office each time. However if you need tracking although you can prepare everything beforehand, the shipping and tracking labels, you still have to head off to the PO for proof of postage which is fair.

Sue

It is not good to use PayPal to ship Internationally in any form.

The postage is far more expensive and you still have to hand the package to a cleark you can not drop it in the box.

FYI - I am going to start using the penny trade system. So if you trade with us I will be asking for a penny and sending you a penny back.

Hooray....my trading life just got easier! :D

If you log into paypal and go to the auction tools tab, at the bottom of that page is a link for Multi order shipping. You can put in as many address as you want then pay and print them all at once.

Oh wow! I definitely have to check this out. Sounds extremely convenient!

The Multi Order tool also lets you import pending shipments from Paypal and Ebay. So if you go the penny trade route, you can still use this and do all the orders at once instead of label by label.

We did it too....and it was far easier than any other shipping method. Even easier than using the PayPal MultiShip tool! No addresses to type or copy/paste.

So until I get a Dymo printer I will ask to do all trades this way. :cry:

Thanks for the help! And the Trade :D

Edited by wyohunter

It is not good to use PayPal to ship Internationally in any form.

The postage is far more expensive and you still have to hand the package to a cleark you can not drop it in the box.

FYI - I am going to start using the penny trade system. So if you trade with us I will be asking for a penny and sending you a penny back.

Hooray....my trading life just got easier! :D

So how will you/did you explain it to the trade person? I know not all of them have read this thread, so it might sound odd to ask. Tell us how you did it!

Now I have done 2 penny trades and working on a 3rd.

Here is what I have said:

PayPal Penny Trade Details -- You send me a PayPal for a penny and I send you one for a penny. Then we use the PayPal shipping to send the coins. We get delivery confirmation for only 14 cents and no need to fill out addresses or stand in the Post Office line you can drop PayPal shipments in the Post Office mailboxes. Makes life easier.

PayPal Penny Trade Details -- You send me a PayPal for a penny and I send you one for a penny. Then we use the PayPal shipping to send the coins. We get delivery confirmation for only 14 cents and no need to fill out addresses or stand in the Post Office line you can drop PayPal shipments in the Post Office mailboxes. Makes life easier.

Well you just sold me! LOL

There is a new Paypal feature that may interest you. Please go to THIS POST and click on the link titles "Paypal Multi Ship". They have created a way to ship without having to send a penny. I have not tried this feature so feel free to report how it works once you have tried it :sad: .

I do not like the PayPal multi-ship. :ph34r:

You still have to type in the address or copy/paste each part. Now if the multi-ship had where you could just copy/paste the entire address in one field then that would be better. But instead you have to go back and forth to get the first name....then last name......then street....then city.....then state....then zip code...on and on and on......:(

For a penny it is well worth not having to do that.....maybe I am lazy or more likely just a too busy Mom. :sad:

I do not like the PayPal multi-ship. :ph34r:

You still have to type in the address or copy/paste each part. Now if the multi-ship had where you could just copy/paste the entire address in one field then that would be better. But instead you have to go back and forth to get the first name....then last name......then street....then city.....then state....then zip code...on and on and on......:(

For a penny it is well worth not having to do that.....maybe I am lazy or more likely just a too busy Mom. :sad:

True dat. But, with the penny trade system, you can still use the multiship tool. If you have multiple trades pending in Paypal, then the import tool will import your shipment info from Paypal (and Ebay). Of course, if you just have one trade pending, than it's much easier to just click the print label button.

Okay, I've used PayPal to pay for postage and print the mailing labels a couple of times now. It's worked out great! Just a couple of questions:

(1) PayPal's instructions say not to tape over the delivery confirmation barcode. I can understand that because the barcode reader the mail delivery person uses might not be able to read through the reflectiveness of the clear packing tape. Unless they think you might tape over it with opaque tape?

(2) Can you tape over (with clear packing tape) the postage glyph or will this keep the postal systems from being able to read it?

(3) So far I've been stuffing a small crumpled up piece of paper in the bubble mailers to make them at least 3/4 of an inch thick. Is this really necessary? It sure makes carrying around a stack of them much more awkward.

Just trying to streamline this where I can now.