Is this a good choice

You don't say what price you can get that unit for, however, I would look at the Garmin line of GPSrs.

In these forums, there have been many stories about Magellan's poor customer service, should you need it. I have a friend who gave up on two different Magellans and bought a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx . . .

The Garmin Legend is a good, inexpensive choice. For a color unit, the Garmin Venture Cx is an excellent choice at about $180.00.

The maps are extra, but you can wait to get them. You don't need the maps for Geocaching, they just make getting to a cache located in an unfamiliar area much, much easier. :D

I'm new to geocaching and am wondering if the MAGELLAN EXPLORIST 400 is a good choice. It seems fairly inexpensive for a beginner, but are there any glaring cons? Thank you...Mike

Im new too, but i like the options that the 400 has. TigerGPS seems to have a nice bundle for that unit for $230. Im thinking about it myself.

400 bundle

I have a eXplorist 500, color and holds SD card. It goes for around $200 and maps are extra. I really like this unit and as for the 400, it is a greyscale which is ok. I just rather color.

I have noticed that there is a eXplorist 500 and an se version. The SE version states "The eXplorist 500LE does not include a Li-ion battery or AC adapter". Does this mean you can not use a Li-ion battery, or is it an option that you can buy and use? Is no Li-ion battery a problem?

Thank you for all the replies.

Mike