Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
TacRat

Fox-Hunt

Hey all!!

I was just curious, how does a fox-hunt work?? I understand that you go out and look for something, but what exactly is it?? Any and all positive comments would be great!!

73's

KE5EHZ

TacRat

My understanding is that it is a small transmitter that is hidden and you go find it with special recievers and antennas.

doesnt even have to be a small transmitter, the last 1 that i participated in, the fox was a full size mobile rig running off a battery, with a live operator.

So you basically follow your receiver based on your signal strength?? If that's right, that sounds pretty good. Would you be sending out some sort of beacon (if you don't use a live operator)??

If anybody has any stories, please tell. This seems like a very interesting story!!

73's

KE5EHZ

TacRat

So you basically follow your receiver based on your signal strength?? If that's right, that sounds pretty good. Would you be sending out some sort of beacon (if you don't use a live operator)??

If anybody has any stories, please tell. This seems like a very interesting story!!

73's

KE5EHZ

TacRat

The group here in Fort Wayne Indiana uses a HT on crosslink as the fox and a live person is within eye distance from it. This way the HT can be hidden in small places verses trying to hide a vehicle.

The two times that I was the "FOX" I put the HT in a Zipplock bag and burried it under a concrete sign with the antenna sticking slightly out of the ground. It took the "Hunters" forever to locate were it was at. The second time I had a 20ft run of coax ran up a tree with a twin lead J-pole connected to it and the HT burried away from the tree. That one took about 4 hours for eveyone to find.

All you need to "Fox Hunt" is a HT, a directional antena, an attenuator( for when you get up close to the "Fox") and a good street or toppo map of the area that you are hunting in. The most important thing to remember is to have fun while doing it, because then you loose the idea behind getting together with fellow hams that are wanting to have fun like everyone else.

Hey all!!

I was just curious, how does a fox-hunt work?? I understand that you go out and look for something, but what exactly is it?? Any and all positive comments would be great!!

73's

KE5EHZ

TacRat

I used to do a lot of that back in the day (~1980); we called them Bunny Hunts, but the concept is identical to fox hunting. Finding the hidden transmitter was always a blast, considering the operator could alter the power level and the configuration of his antenna to make things a bit more challenging. The trophy for the hunt was a large stuffed rabbit, which was passed on from one winner to the next.

I really miss those hunts.

I used to do a lot of that back in the day (~1980); we called them Bunny Hunts, but the concept is identical to fox hunting. Finding the hidden transmitter was always a blast, considering the operator could alter the power level and the configuration of his antenna to make things a bit more challenging. The trophy for the hunt was a large stuffed rabbit, which was passed on from one winner to the next.

I really miss those hunts.

Indeed, my tactic when operating as the bunny is to setup equipment at a location that will guarantee weird reflections. Reflections are great for torquing up hunters <_<