Calling all Off-Roaders!

Missinovassippiscotia

I just got myself a '00 Jeep TJ Wrangler, but the place I bought if from went off and put some silly little street tires on it. I mean seriously! who in their right mind puts street tires on a Jeep! Anyway, I'm trying to find the best place to get a good set of off road tires. I've checked with Canadian Tire, but they're pretty limited in what they have, and priced pretty high. I'd like to keep the price under 800 (mounted and balanced), but that's probably just wishful thinking. I'm looking for either a really aggressive all-terrains, or a set of long running mud terrains. When it comes to brand, I don't care as long as it's not a Goodyear or Pirelli, and it has a decent tread life.

I've been dying to go on the "doing it in a Jeep" cache series, but don't have enough confidence in the tires that are on the Jeep at the moment. Thanks for any and all suggestions!!!!

btw, this is the Missi... part of MNSS

I would suggest first Interco TrXus MT. IMO, the best off road capable, streetable tire. Next choice would be Goodyear Wrangler MT/R, which are stock on Rubicons. They are, however, more expensive and not quite as good off road.

Your desire for long wear life is not really possible unless you want a street tire. My best suggestion there is the BF Goodrich Radial All Terrain. They are not bad, but gum up quite fast in muddy conditions.

My driving is pretty well evenly split in five parts, extreme off road use, high speed gravel roads, pavement, ice covered roads and snow covered roads. I drive a Nissan Frontier Crew cab and use Goodyear Workhorse Extra Grip Radials, Load Range D which is an 8 ply rating. I have used many brands and types mostly 6 ply over the years but in general I find this to be the best combo for summer winter use and the ability to stand up to rock punctures is great, one flat in two sets which seem to give about 70k of good use. They are a little noisy on pavement but give good traction on stops and starts. Cost is a bit over $200. each installed.

I drive in the North here, in a '99 Dodge Dakota and run all year round on Yokahama Geolanders. They are a hard compound rubber, and so far they are lasting very well...logging roads, winter roads, highway and some places where there just isn't any roads...only moose tracks and now my dinky dackota's.

Like the above poster, when they start to wear they get noisey, but let out some air in them and they are good for rock terrain and climbing.

Gotta love those V8's though in these small trucks..can pull full sized trucks out where my truck keeps going through and full sized say in the bog.

On my way into a remote cache here today and blew out an axle. Seems soggy logging roads, and mud coupled with inclines and Dodge Dackota's don't mix..Spun out going up and as it caught on the drier ground bang...390 bucks tow out home...good thing for spare part trucks...should be up and running tommorrow again...I am gonna get that cache

I went with a set of Dayton Timberline MT's. So far, they have been great. We drove the Myra trail from Porters Lake to the airport without any trouble whatsoever (except for the branch that poked through the soft top, hence the duct tape :D ). Thanks for all the suggestions!

dirtyjeep.jpg

Hey Missinnova...... you gotta lose those girly bumper ends! Example attached:

BBetty.jpg

I went with a set of Dayton Timberline MT's. So far, they have been great. We drove the Myra trail from Porters Lake to the airport without any trouble whatsoever (except for the branch that poked through the soft top, hence the duct tape :D ). Thanks for all the suggestions!

Hey Missinnova...... you gotta lose those girly bumper ends! Example attached:

Do not judge lest ye be judged....All Jeeps are girly until they've been lifted. [:D]

...I've been dying to go on the "doing it in a Jeep" cache series, but don't have enough confidence in the tires that are on the Jeep at the moment. Thanks for any and all suggestions!!!!...

You have to start by looking around you and your terrain. What do you drive in?

Sand, Mud, Snow, Ice, Wet Pavement, Rocks, Dirt?

Mud Tires can be good in Sand, Mud, Snow, Rocks and Dirt.

They tend to flat out suck on Wet Pavement and Icy Roads.

All Terrains tend to do a lot better on the Wet Pavement and Icy Roads but are not so good in Mud, Vary in sand, marginal in snow, fairly good in dirt and rocks. There is a bit more variation between various AT tires than say Mud Tires.

Some Mudders come with sypes (spelled wrong?) that help on Ice and possibly on Wet Pavement.

Long Lasting and Good Grip tend to be a trade off. Snow Tires are soft, they don't wear well but stick better in snow for example.

Personally I like mudders and live with their issues on Wet Pavement and Ice. I'd get them again, but I'd go for the kinds with the sipes (still spelled wrong?) to try and pick up their performance on Ice a bit.

I had a Bronco with worn out AT's on it when I bought it. Putting the Mud Terrain tires on it was a nigt and day difference.

As an aside, i just noticed today that my sipes (yep, correct spelling there RK :) ) are packed full of worn rubber. Good thing the rainy season is over or else I'd be out there picking my truck's toenails clean...one drawback of the softer rubber I find.

for a more agressive tread there are swampers & boggers but you'll be lucky to get a year's worth of pavement out of them.

Although I'm happy with and will probably stick with procomp for now, I'd say that generally, if you can easily fit your finger (or a knuckle) between lugs then you'll have a decent all 'round tire for anything you come across.

Have to agree with Renegade. It all depends on what you plan to be driving in/through/on/over. In my neck of the woods it is mostly loose gravel, sharp shale with the odd bit of granite, and some soupy mud.

Edited by Deneye