Geocaches for Kids?

jeeptp75

You'll get some interesting posts from this as "happy meal toys" are generally frowned upon (my kids love them by the way). I don't know about downloading "kid friendly" specifically but there is an attribute available for the cache owner to put on the cache page that says kid friendly it's a head shot of a little girl with a flower in her hair. Look for regular to large caches. Micro's can be as small as the top of your pinky or maybe as big as a film cannister and therefore will have only a logbook. Inless it says it is for something specific like travel bugs your regular and up (and even small) will have "swag" (toys). Depending on the age of your kids you may want to start with 1/1 (difficulty/terrain) so they can join in on the hunt. Just some ideas, I'm sure you'll get lots of help on this one.

The more I have been reading I was realizing that alot of people probubly do frown upon the happy meal toy idea. A lot of people seem to what some type of value to there find. (I dont think people realize how valuable some happy meal toys can be in some circles) Anyway, I also enjoy the "adult friendly" finds, but I also love spending time with my 3 year old and to him the stuff of value to adults is to no value to him.

I am glad to hear that there is attribute that dictates kid friendly. I'll keep my eyes open for that and maybe just start a few myself if I cant find any.

Thanks for the info!!

You'll get some interesting posts from this as "happy meal toys" are generally frowned upon (my kids love them by the way). I don't know about downloading "kid friendly" specifically but there is an attribute available for the cache owner to put on the cache page that says kid friendly it's a head shot of a little girl with a flower in her hair. Look for regular to large caches. Micro's can be as small as the top of your pinky or maybe as big as a film cannister and therefore will have only a logbook. Inless it says it is for something specific like travel bugs your regular and up (and even small) will have "swag" (toys). Depending on the age of your kids you may want to start with 1/1 (difficulty/terrain) so they can join in on the hunt. Just some ideas, I'm sure you'll get lots of help on this one.

The more I have been reading I was realizing that alot of people probubly do frown upon the happy meal toy idea. A lot of people seem to what some type of value to there find.

Hm, interesting...value is in the eyes of the beholder. I guess I could see where Happy Meal toys are frowned on for taking up space for their value, but honestly...I don't know that much of what I see has more inherent value than a Happy Meal toy. :D

The more I have been reading I was realizing that alot of people probubly do frown upon the happy meal toy idea. A lot of people seem to what some type of value to there find.

Hm, interesting...value is in the eyes of the beholder. I guess I could see where Happy Meal toys are frowned on for taking up space for their value, but honestly...I don't know that much of what I see has more inherent value than a Happy Meal toy. :D

Its obviously used, dirty or broken McToys that are frowned on. Most people are OK with new McToys in their package.

have heard that there are geocaches just for kids to find out there. Some are full of like happy meal toys and stuff to trade? Is this true? Is there any easy way to find the waypoints for a kid specific geocache?

There is a kid friendly cache page attribute that can be searched on if you are a premium member. It looks like this kids-yes.gif.

That attribute can, but doesn't necessarily mean that the cache is filled with toys. It could mean that the cache is in an area that kids might enjoy, or simply that the cache is hidden on kid friendly terrain.

Also, the absence of that attribute doesn't mean that the cache is not kid friendly. I find that the overwhelming majority of non-micro caches have at least a few items that kids might enjoy.

Sometimes caches that are designed with kids in mind will have the word "Kids" in the name, so a keyword search on that word may also be helpful in identifying caches that kids may enjoy.

Some people will argue that nearly every cache is a kids cache. I find that to be pretty much the case. Outside of the relatively few caches that are in dangerous areas or that involved lengthy hikes or difficult terrain, most caches are appropriate for kids.

Edited by briansnat

Those are great seach ideas. Thanks for the reply. My premium membership just ran out not to long ago, its definatly time to renew that.

Thanks agian for everyone's info.

Hm, interesting...value is in the eyes of the beholder. I guess I could see where Happy Meal toys are frowned on for taking up space for their value, but honestly...I don't know that much of what I see has more inherent value than a Happy Meal toy. B)

Its obviously used, dirty or broken McToys that are frowned on. Most people are OK with new McToys in their package.

have heard that there are geocaches just for kids to find out there. Some are full of like happy meal toys and stuff to trade? Is this true? Is there any easy way to find the waypoints for a kid specific geocache?

There is a kid friendly cache page attribute that can be searched on if you are a premium member. It looks like this kids-yes.gif.

That attribute can, but doesn't necessarily mean that the cache is filled with toys. It could mean that the cache is in an area that kids might enjoy, or simply that the cache is hidden on kid friendly terrain.

Also, the absence of that attribute doesn't mean that the cache is not kid friendly. I find that the overwhelming majority of non-micro caches have at least a few items that kids might enjoy.

Sometimes caches that are designed with kids in mind will have the word "Kids" in the name, so a keyword search on that word may also be helpful in identifying caches that kids may enjoy.

Some people will argue that nearly every cache is a kids cache. I find that to be pretty much the case. Outside of the relatively few caches that are in dangerous areas or that involved lengthy hikes or difficult terrain, most caches are appropriate for kids.

The kid friendly attribute would probably be the quickest way to find kid friendly caches. I'll often try to leave stuff in caches for kids because they are usually the ones most excited about finding things in a cache.

You really have to be careful with all caches and as a parent choose wisely which caches to hunt with your kids. Not all caches are suitable for kids and some aren't even suitable for many adults because of their difficulty, location, terrain, etc. Look for the easier 1 or maybe 2 terrains and difficulty. Look for small or regular caches in family friendly areas. Most of my caches are in small city parks regularly frequented by kids and their parents. If in doubt you can always send an email to the cache owner and ask them whether the cache would be good for kids to do.

Even with the attribute there are animals, people, swift traffic and other dangers to consider. Read the logs, scope out the area, teach the kids how to safely open the cache, etc.. (Some parents will let their kids look for the cache, but won't let them touch the cache until the parents have dumped it out and checked it over.)

Lots of people love caching with their kids. It is up to the parents to see that they cache safely.

I haven't had much luck with the "kid friendly" attribute. Even the caches meant for kids don't always have that attribute attached to them. I just look for easy caches and read the descriptions, look at the logs. If you see pics of kids in the cache's gallery, then you gotta figure that kids can do it. Stuff like that. You can also look in the regional forums - there's often a list of kid-friendly caches in there.

I read the description to help me decide. There are several in my area that are definately kid caches when you read the description. Some I have read even say something like "Hand your child the GPSr and sit back while they find the cache." My daughters love when we find one like that. :D

We are also teaching our children that they can participate and just enjoy the hunt (and nature) without always taking something. Most of the caches we do they do take something, but not always.

It seems what I mostly find are Kids toys and items, which is OK, I didn't get into this to get neat stuff. There is still alot of what I would consider "junk" in the Cache's I find. We've went over this before. I still leave "kid" oriented stuff like, Colorfull Pencils, and Pirate Playing cards. I'm sure it's the kids eyes who light up when they see the stuff inside, especially if it's something they would want, and that gives me a warm feeling. Heck this whole thing is doing me good, I've lost about 5 pounds doing my almost daily little Cache walks!

Regards Sonny

From the 3 finds in your (the OP's) profile, I can't tell if you live in PA or in New York City. But assuming the latter there is a major kid-oriented (and easy-to-get-to/find while still having a nice walk in the woods) cache just north of the Bronx (can't seem to get the link to work for some reason, but look for caches in near zip 10552, it's called "Kid Kick Cache"). We adopted it (owner moved to the West Coast) and made it more kid-friendly in addition to adding a 2nd cache 1/4 mile further into the trail.

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa