garmin 76csx 0r 60csx for newbie?

Simdel

I have just recently come across geocaching and need a gps unit. I've set my sights on the above two models, but am unsure which one to go for.

I'd like to choose one that won't get too outdated too soon, and one which will be sturdy and not too over technical to get to grips with.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I have just recently come across geocaching and need a gps unit. I've set my sights on the above two models, but am unsure which one to go for.

I'd like to choose one that won't get too outdated too soon, and one which will be sturdy and not too over technical to get to grips with.

The 2 units you mentioned are the same internally. The real difference is form factor. Would you rather have the buttons on top or bottom.

IIRC the differences are as follows:

1. The 76CSx comes with a larger (128mb as opposed to 64mb) microSD card. If you are planning to upgrade the card then this difference becomes moot.

2. The form factor (mentioned above).

3. The 76 floats.

The 2 units you mentioned are the same internally. The real difference is form factor. Would you rather have the buttons on top or bottom.

1. The 76CSx comes with a larger (128mb as opposed to 64mb) microSD card. If you are planning to upgrade the card then this difference becomes moot.

3. The 76 floats.

Thanks very much for the clear response. It has enabled me to make up my mind and I think I'll go for the 76csx......the floating info did it for me.

I had the same dilemma last weekend. Went to the Sportsman's show expecting to purchase a 60CSX but bought the 76 instead- glad I did. The idea of covering the screen when using the buttons is moot - it just doesnt seem to happen. The buttons are bigger, better spaced and have a nicer feel than the 60. This makes using it in the car dash mount much much easier AND easier to use with gloves on. Actually, the placing of the buttons/screen on the 76 results in holding the unit balanced while pressing the buttons.

Yes, it floats and has a slightly bigger card.

The 76 - where I bought it - was $30 cheaper and this seems to be typical.

However the most glossed over feature is the fact the 76 has backlit keys! Indispensible! Oh, keep in mind too that you need not (two handed)reach to the top of the unit for the power button to turn on the backlight like you must on the 60 series. this should make your decision obvious.

Edited by MajBach

I just went through the same dilemma. I spend more time on water than in the woods, but I really seem to need a gps more in the woods. So, I went back and forth between the 76 and 60 csx models. I ultimately chose the 60csx because it seems more intuitive to have the keys on the bottom and screen on top, and because it appears to be more rugged. I just purchased the 60 csx online from PCNation which had the best price on the net when you factor in the free 3 day Fed Ex shipping. Other members on this site have also endorsed PCNation as a good vendor.

However the most glossed over feature is the fact the 76 has backlit keys! Indispensible!

The 60SCX has that feature! :D

Try searching 'Find' with one hand!

I don't understand why you think this would be a problem. I do it all the time. Left handed or right handed.

When in use you may be restricted to one handed use.

The buttons on the top could restrict your view of the screen, while the 60CSX enables one handed use and a view of the screen at the same time!

It must just be me but I always have used my 76 series ( a S, CS, CSX ) Garmins with one hand. I hold/grip in my right hand and use my thumb to navigate the buttons without ever covering the screen.

team sidewinder

I was looking at both the 60 and the 76 when I looked to upgrade from my Legend C...the thing that turned me off of the 76 was the bulk...it was just way too big and bulky.

I know some will say that stats-wise the 76 isn't much bigger lengthwise than the 60, but one must remember, they measured the 60 from bottom to the end of the antenna...so in all reality the 60 is a decent bit more compact than the 76.

3. The 76 floats.

Thanks very much for the clear response. It has enabled me to make up my mind and I think I'll go for the 76csx......the floating info did it for me.

Floating isn't always a good thing...

For what it's worth---The guys in the know up here say the 60 is more slightly more rugged when it comes to impact and vibration and it has slightly better reception (they were talking about keeping an accurate track when the unit was under a coat to keep it warm) This might not matter in the lower 48 where you have more satelites and better angle through the atmosphere. In general they concluded the 76 better for boating and the 60 for hiking or hunting.

It must just be me but I always have used my 76 series ( a S, CS, CSX ) Garmins with one hand. I hold/grip in my right hand and use my thumb to navigate the buttons without ever covering the screen.

team sidewinder

I agree. When I see this "problem" quoted I have to wonder if the person ever actually used a 76 form GPSr. It just doesn't happen and I have quite normally sized hands.

My 76 csx should be here Thursday the 22nd from PCNation. Its my first and I wanted to get the right one.

I too did alot of research on this forum for 2 weeks between these two models. My choice came down to the fact that I needed to mount this gps on my motorcycle. The Ram mount for the 60 seems like it doesnt work well. In the Forms people have talked about having to use rubber bands to hold it in. The 76 sounds like it snaps in real good. Im sure it will be used in my car and of course CACHING! I also liked the thought of bigger buttons and on top. I have never held one or seen one in person so im only speaking on what I came up with during my research. If im wrong in anyway please correct.

Does anyone have a photo of the 60 and the 76 side by side. The pictures on Garmins site are not to scale to each other. Example: The screen sizes are the same size but in the pictures the 60 seems to be larger.

It might be helpful to somebody that cant decide on the two. Later, OC

My 76 csx should be here Thursday the 22nd from PCNation. Its my first and I wanted to get the right one.

I too did alot of research on this forum for 2 weeks between these two models. My choice came down to the fact that I needed to mount this gps on my motorcycle. The Ram mount for the 60 seems like it doesnt work well. In the Forms people have talked about having to use rubber bands to hold it in. The 76 sounds like it snaps in real good. Im sure it will be used in my car and of course CACHING! I also liked the thought of bigger buttons and on top. I have never held one or seen one in person so im only speaking on what I came up with during my research. If im wrong in anyway please correct.

Does anyone have a photo of the 60 and the 76 side by side. The pictures on Garmins site are not to scale to each other. Example: The screen sizes are the same size but in the pictures the 60 seems to be larger.

It might be helpful to somebody that cant decide on the two. Later, OC

Here is what you want

Hi,

I own a 60Csx for some time now, and I love it.

However, if I had to choose again, I would probably take the 76Csx.

The big reasons are :

-in spite of the 60Csx robust appearance, it appears to be, with its prominent antenna, much more fragile than a 76Csx. If you happen to inadvertently hook the antenna rubber stick somewhere (tough, unexpected, and unlucky movement, I agree), you may well bend this antenna and weak it, hurt it, or break it. On the contrary, the 76Csx has a really totally protected antenna. I think that I care my 60Csx more than average, with screenshield, with a Gilsson soft cover, but I have noticed that the antenna stick is becoming slightly loose, and I can't do anything against that.

-onboard of a commercial aircraft (which I use frequently), a 60Csx is MUCH more suspect than a 76Csx. People stare at your device wondering if it's a mobile phone, satellite phone, or whatever. Last month, I had to swear to an aircraft stewart that my "device" was not transmitting anything. :-(

Besides, I have had the opportunity to compare my 60Csx against my sister's 76Csx and both outdoor and in-house reception performance were very similar.

The 60Csx looks more rugged because of the lower rubber cover. But as I would put both inside a protective cover (Gilsson or other), yet it doesn't make so much difference.

If it were not for the very attractive form factor of the 60Csx, if I had to choose again, I would probably take a 76Csx.

(Hey, "60Csx of mine", don't worry, I love you !)

pyt22fr

Edited by pyt22fr

Just a couple or three notes on the 76 models.

• The buttons being on top are a non issue as they are easy to use one handedly with no screen blockage at all. (at least for most people)
  • These units do float which in most cases, is a much better quality to have than the alternative.
  • The form factor does look big at first but it really is a good size. It fits your hand well and it slides into a shirt pocket easily. I carry mine in my shirt pocket alot of the time and it keeps satellite lock pretty good in this position. One other thing i like is that it lays flat (when not using a cable) and has rubber feet on it's backside which allows me to lay it on the dash while traveling. This is not foolproof as bigger bumps or tight turns may cause it to move but it has so far kept me from having to buy a $20+ mount.

excuse me if i missed this info, (my eyes are buggy from reading these threads!) but is the GARMIN 76CSX decent for autorouting? I'll be using it on a dual sport and a sport touring bike...

was looking at the 60 till i saw this thread.... :huh:

thanks!

rich

Yes. It has the same internals (programming, hardware and such) as the 60CSx. The differences are:

1. Form--button placement, size, shape.

2. The 76 comes with a 128mb micro SD, the 60 with a 64 mb

3. The 76 floats, whereas the 60 floats, sinks or is neutrally bouyant depending on what batteries are in there.

excuse me if i missed this info, (my eyes are buggy from reading these threads!) but is the GARMIN 76CSX decent for autorouting? I'll be using it on a dual sport and a sport touring bike...

was looking at the 60 till i saw this thread.... :sad:

thanks!

rich

Rich,

I have been using a 76CSx while motorcycling and it has been great for autorouting; I also use it as a backup in the Jeep and it outperforms the Alpine unit that DimestoreChrysler installs at the factory. You will love it. :(

Autorouting? Heck yes!

My Hubby bought me a 76CSX for Christmas and followed up with City Navigatior NT for Valentine's day! Just got back today from our first trip since I recieved the 76CSx and loved it! My hubby is a big GPS naysayer. He had no desire to learn how to use it until this weekend in Seattle when he actually trusted me to use it to navigate us to the hotel and some other places in the area. ( Paper maps are NOT my strong point! )

He kind of razzed me a bit about trusting the Garmin and he was sure it was going to get us lost... :sad: . When the first attempt at using the auto-routing went flawlessly, he was impressed. He decided that it was a great thing to have in unfamiliar areas! We actually used it alot more than we planned on and my hubby spent part of the afternoon today, while I was driving, :( READING THE GARMIN MANUAL :ph34r: so he could learn how to use it!

All weekend I kept telling him The Garmin is good, the Garmin is wise, TRUST the Garmin!

Yes, it is good for autorouting!

I was looking at both the 60 and the 76 when I looked to upgrade from my Legend C...the thing that turned me off of the 76 was the bulk...it was just way too big and bulky.

I know some will say that stats-wise the 76 isn't much bigger lengthwise than the 60, but one must remember, they measured the 60 from bottom to the end of the antenna...so in all reality the 60 is a decent bit more compact than the 76.

I have to agree with you. For me it is also a bit too big. Especially that the size of the screen is almost the same.

I think both units would do the job, but I do have an issue with a unit that floats. Last fall my 60CS came loose from its mount on my belt. This was because the original button that Garmin provides had broken and I had purchased a cheap replacement at Walmart. (Bad Idea). Anyway I was able to watch it roll down the river hitting various odjects on the way, trees, rocks etc, and finally fly through the air and land in the river about 3 feet from shore. I was sure that it was gone and I was in big trouble since I didn't even know my way back to the motel without the GPS. After climibing down the hill I found that I could see my GPS still operating under water. The screen is nice and bright underwater for anyone that is interested. I reached out and snagged it with my walking stick, dried it off and it continued to work without a problem. If it had been the floating type like the 76CS or CSX I could wave goodbye to it as it floated down the river and out into the Great Lakes.

:sad:

That reminds me of dive companions who lost their underwater camera on a night dive two years ago. It floated away (up, of course, then drifted off on the current). They were lucky and found it by beachcombing their way back down the current, but IF THEY HAD PUT AN ID TAG ON THE UNIT it could have been returned to them by any kind stranger no matter where it washed up.

I would suggest for water enthusiasts to tag the unit with contact info, btw, the inside of the battery door is a good place to put a sticker as well as placing a tag on the outside. Also, tape some reflective material to the unit...if our dive buddies had done that, a quick sweep with the flashlight would have lit up the unit.

I think both units would do the job, but I do have an issue with a unit that floats. Last fall my 60CS came loose from its mount on my belt. This was because the original button that Garmin provides had broken and I had purchased a cheap replacement at Walmart. (Bad Idea). Anyway I was able to watch it roll down the river hitting various odjects on the way, trees, rocks etc, and finally fly through the air and land in the river about 3 feet from shore. I was sure that it was gone and I was in big trouble since I didn't even know my way back to the motel without the GPS. After climibing down the hill I found that I could see my GPS still operating under water. The screen is nice and bright underwater for anyone that is interested. I reached out and snagged it with my walking stick, dried it off and it continued to work without a problem. If it had been the floating type like the 76CS or CSX I could wave goodbye to it as it floated down the river and out into the Great Lakes.

:laughing:

Looks like you have two situations:

1) Floating in calm water, then grab it again. 76CSX. Not floating in a river then grab it from the edge. 60CSX

2) Not floating in deep water, and lost forever. 60CSX. Floating and find it 76CSX.

how about using a lanyard??

That reminds me of dive companions who lost their underwater camera on a night dive two years ago. It floated away (up, of course, then drifted off on the current). They were lucky and found it by beachcombing their way back down the current, but IF THEY HAD PUT AN ID TAG ON THE UNIT it could have been returned to them by any kind stranger no matter where it washed up.

I would suggest for water enthusiasts to tag the unit with contact info, btw, the inside of the battery door is a good place to put a sticker as well as placing a tag on the outside. Also, tape some reflective material to the unit...if our dive buddies had done that, a quick sweep with the flashlight would have lit up the unit.

excellent suggestions.

These models have a "Wecome Setup" in the Setup menu. This option allows the user to create a "wecome message" that is displayed evertime the GPS is turned on. As soon as I got my 60CSx I immediately put my name and mobile phone number in the welcome message.

I figure anyone who finds the GPS is likely to turn it on to see if it works.

Ken K.

Edited by kenk

When in use you may be restricted to one handed use.

The buttons on the top could restrict your view of the screen, while the 60CSX enables one handed use and a view of the screen at the same time!

For a long time, Garmin has used the buttons-on-top layout for some of their units. I've had 3 of them, including the 76C, and have never had a problem with my hand or fingers covering the screen. In fact, the buttons-above-the-screen layout is more comfortable and allows you a firmer grip on the unit even while operating the buttons with your thumb.

I have a 60CSx right now and IMO the 76 design has the better ergonomics.

GeoBC

Edited by geobc

I can use the 76 easily with one hand. Your thumb does all the button work, and the screen is not obscured.

I think of the 76CSX like a supersized IPOD. No edges to catch on anything. This is the unit I will be buying if I can find someone who will give me a "bargain" price on one.

All I am finding is the standard price of $330. No one else has anything better than that for a price, and several vendors have this price. You would think some smart retailer would through in a 1GB SDmicro card to sweeten the deal to get people to buy from them, instead of the competition.

Just got my new 60CX (I really don't need the compass or altimeter) and I'm thrilled with it. I stuffed almost the entire North American continent maps into a 1 GB card so I can go ANYWHERE without having to worry about reloading maps - a big complaint I had with my GPS3+! - and the autorouting capabilities are amazing.

Of course, being the experienced driver I am, I do object when the unit tries to route me along, say, the Cross Bronx Expressway, or the Cross Westchester (I KNOW how much construction delays hold up traffic, which the GPSr doesn't), but hey... I can take my route and let it autoroute me once I'm past the road I don't want to take.

My only concern now is what mount to get? I need to be able to put this beast on the dashboard of my Subaru Outback and on the handlebars of my BMW R65. Any suggestions? I've seen the Garmin Auto Mount and the RAM, as well as a few other on www.cyclegadgets.com. So far I'm leaning towards the RAM mount, with a Lead Weighted Rubber Coated Dashboard base for the car. Seems like the best combination, and I don't have to stick anything to the dashboard on my car.

My two penneth

They are the same unit really Just the cases and button positions are different

I use the 76CSX but had both units in the CS format

The 76CSx floats and both waterproof

My reason for the 76CSX is the shape No bulky antenna on the end Most people who use the 60CS hold the 76 upside down becuase of the buttons It was harder to find the Bike mount for the 76 in UK but I have now got the Genuine Garmin Bike mount and Bean bag car mount the 60cs mounts seemed to be in stock but that was 2 year back may be they are neck and neck now

Which ever you choose the are cracking units The Topo GB map just about fits a 1 gig card it does street level door to door on road and and then has tracks and paths for off road couple that to the Garmin site Motion based and you get some fantastic results and it will save all you tracks for you too.

So its just looks that is the differnce Enjoy which ever you get

Edited by IvorBigun