Geocaching Enhanced

This first post will be kept up to date

10 minutes of work and you'll have a souped-up caching experience... there are many variations on this but here's my guide which is very comprehensive and a huge advantage over using Internet Explorer. All cachers should try this!!! :D:D:D

Ok... step-by-step...

Download and install Firefox

http://www.getfirefox.com

Install the Geocaching Quick Search function (very cool)

Geocaching Quick Search

Install Greasemonkey

Greasemonkey

Install Tweaks as you see fit (got about three quarters of them installed myself).

http://gmscripts.locusprime.net/

Install Southseekers "OS Maps On Cache Pages" tweak

Link to download

Install LordElphs "OS Links" tweak

Link to forum thread (first post)

Optional but recommended :

Install Adblock, Adblock Updater, PDF Downloader and Image Zoom

Install Topic Ignore Buttons

LordElph's geocaching forum tools greasemonkey script

Install OS Maps on Cache Pages

Edgemasters OS Maps on cache page

Then just browse away as you would, no further work to do again!

Edited to add : Obv its others who have done the hard work here, I've just put it all in one place :D

edited to correct link at the request of the poster

Edited by Deceangi

This is too cool! :D

I've been a firefox fan for years - never realised how much you can do with it.

I have a great - gadget-happy=geek smile on my face now :D

Thanks

BUT i have a problem with "stall Southseekers "OS Maps On Cache Pages" tweak" - i get a "config error, server not found" message where the map should be - any tips on how to make it work?

Edited by Catherine's Team

Bonnie and I have been using firefox for about 2yrs to date and I must say that its a superb browser, so configurable its unbelievable.

As PUP says it is a standalone browser so you can always fall back on IE but if you are like us, you will never use IE again.

Don't forget that Microsoft have 'dolled up' their latest version to act and look like Firefox so they must be worried :D

As its non microsoft software, it is also much safer to use....

Its perfik for geocaching and for us 'lazier of cachers' as its all there when you need it.....

If you're nervous about installing stuff on your shiney new OS, try Altiris Software Virtualisation here, free for personal use. You just 'capture' the install process into a virtual layer which can then be switched on or off on demand. It's great for stuff that insists on puting loads of things into your startup sequence or pollutes the system tray; and er, it's also good for hiding non corporate applications (like skype) when connected to the work network - but I never said that.

I'll pop in here to advertise a few of my own scripts.

I have a modified version of LordElph's OS links tweak to also link to flashearth (very cool satellite images site), and to make the boxes on the OS pages look nicer.

(forum post)

I have expanded upon the Southseekers' trig (and SP) finds with a 'Finds by placer icon' here.

Also, for the forums, LordElph's Thread ignorer

(also a post here bringing together scripts)

Edited by Edgemaster

It's one of those strange questions like why did/do people buy/use iPods, VHS tapes, MS-DOS and now IE 6, when there are far superior products around. The answer is marketing.

Once you start using Firefox you'll wonder why you ever messed around with that clucky old IE 6 - and let's not even talk about IE 7. I uninstalled it pretty sharpish.

It's simple things like the use of tabs, rather than opening a new window each time and being able to stick my very favourite bookmarks on toolbar buttons that are so user friendly.

Looking foward to checking out some of the other bits.

Great thread. Share the knowledge. :D

Fully Firefoxed and GreaseMonkeyed now! IE7 is Pants!

Well that's a bit strong... :D

At least IE7 boots up first time unlike my FF that now refuses to boot in first time. Yes I have removed all greasemonkey scripts and reinstalled too :D

Jon

They all work on Mac too :rolleyes:

I've just downloaded Firefox2 for Mac OS10.3 after my bank seems to have given up with Safari. Can you get these geocaching scripts that make it really handy for caching for a Mac version, or is it just PC only?

Greasemonkey does not install with Seamonkey, boo hoo! Oh well the Mycroft searches do.

Thanx

http://gmscripts.locusprime.net/Totals_By_Log_Type.html

TotalsByLogType.png

COOL!

Whoops... sorry... this is a British forum... I mean "BRILLIANT"! :D

Then it says:

"Greasemonkey 0.6.4 (Firefox 1.5) Compatible!"

OH. I have Firefox 2.0. :cry::cry:

And this does NOT work in Firefox 2.0.

When will these scripts be updated?

They DO work. (for me, on WinXP at least, Firefox/2.0.0.3)

It also works for me :cry:

Have you restarted FireFox after installing?

Strangely it only works on 7 digit caches for me, not a dickie bird on the old ones, am I the only one?

Have you selected "Show all logs" at the bottom of the cache page? This feature only works when all logs are visibile on the cache's webpage. Maybe the newer caches haven't been logged that much, so don't need to show all logs.

Strangely it only works on 7 digit caches for me, not a dickie bird on the old ones, am I the only one?

Have you selected "Show all logs" at the bottom of the cache page? This feature only works when all logs are visibile on the cache's webpage. Maybe the newer caches haven't been logged that much, so don't need to show all logs.

There is even an addin that does the 'Show all logs' for you.

I've never tried FF before - I am now impressed. :anitongue:

Edited by gazooks

Image Zoom is very cool, though I'm not sure yet if it's just a gimmick or not.

It's a shame that GC.com don't add some of these enhancements to their pages. In some cases it would mean they would have less of a hit on their resources. Love the OS link script. Simple, but brilliant.

http://gmscripts.locusprime.net/Totals_By_Log_Type.html

TotalsByLogType.png

COOL!

Whoops... sorry... this is a British forum... I mean "BRILLIANT"! :huh:

Then it says:

"Greasemonkey 0.6.4 (Firefox 1.5) Compatible!"

OH. I have Firefox 2.0. <_<:laughing:

And this does NOT work in Firefox 2.0.

When will these scripts be updated?

They DO work. (for me, on WinXP at least, Firefox/2.0.0.3)

It also works for me :laughing:

Have you restarted FireFox after installing?

Where on the page are these stats shown? I added the script to my GM. I am using XP with FF 2.0.0.3 and I don't see them either.

That be it, I now see there is even a script to show all logs.

I migrated to Firefox some two years ago and haven't looked back. Its just very annoying when you go to work that they insist on keeping us all on IE

Before I actually do all this ... can someone explain in simple terms what I will get when it's finished.

I don't want to seem negative, but I can see a lot of "how to" here, but no "why" ... apart from the fact that it's enhanced.

I've no doubt that it's all really good ... but what is it?

Before I actually do all this ... can someone explain in simple terms what I will get when it's finished.

I don't want to seem negative, but I can see a lot of "how to" here, but no "why" ... apart from the fact that it's enhanced.

I've no doubt that it's all really good ... but what is it?

The best one is IMHO the map replacer. This replaces the usless map on the cache page that tells you that the cache is somewhere between London and Manchester with a clip of 1:50,000 OS map complete with small red circle around the cache location. After installing the script it need no action from you at all - it happens completely automatically.

The next best is the one that turns the OS Grid reference just below the coordinates at the top of the page into a clickable link to bring up a 25,000 OS Map, this time with a little red arrow to the cache location.

Those two alone make it worth installing Greasemonkey and there are many more - like the one that puts a little X by each thread in the forum. Click on the X and the thread disappears (very useful for Congrats threads or about events 500 miles from home).

I would say that you should install Grease monkey and try them out. If you don't like them or find them useful, it's easy enough to get rid of them.

Here's my take:

The old way: users don't like the way a site works, they email the webmaster asking for improvements, who may, or may not, in the fullness of time, get around to do doing it.

The new way: users don't like the way a site works, they write a Greasemonkey script which provides the functionality and distribute to others who might like it.

If a particular enhancement doesn't meet your needs, don't install it. Take one of mine, which allows you to ignore particular forum threads by hiding them. This appeals to some as there might be a bunch of threads hovering around the top spot you aren't interested in, or pinned threads you never read. The plugin lets you make them go away.

I personally won't install the collapse blocks plugin as I don't think it would particularly enhance my use of gc.com.

So the "why" is really down to you....

Edited by lordelph

The best one is IMHO the map replacer. This replaces the usless map on the cache page that tells you that the cache is somewhere between London and Manchester with a clip of 1:50,000 OS map complete with small red circle around the cache location. After installing the script it need no action from you at all - it happens completely automatically.

The next best is the one that turns the OS Grid reference just below the coordinates at the top of the page into a clickable link to bring up a 25,000 OS Map, this time with a little red arrow to the cache location.

Cheers Just Roger. That's just what I was interested in - a clear reason "why" to do this. I'm not entirely sure I'll bother just now (I just cut n paste into streetmap :anibad: ) but at least I know what it's all about.

Ok I'll have a quick stab at why :anibad: . The scripts give you extra information when viewing cache pages, ie: the No of finds-DNF's-notes to s cache. When logging or making a note instead of a tiny box to write in meaning a longish log has to be scrolled to be proof read, you can expand the width and depth of the box.

As a reviewer and a player I use both, along with most other Greasemonkey scripts for GC [as a Mod I can't use the forum ignore script :anibad: ] I've found my workload and browsing of GC has been enhanced :lol: and I'm extremely grateful to all the authors of the scripts.

As to why the need for the scripts, GC is current a mix of Hobby code [it was started as a hobby site] and commercial code, TPTB are working to bring all the coding into commercial ones, which will ultimately allow the coding for the site to be upgraded. As there are currently regular issues with the site crashing due to the continued massive increase in membership, their priority working with outside consultants is to allow a scalability for the site which will remove these issues. As such many features are on a wish list [sorry I haven't got a clue what's actually on the list] and once the access issues have been resolved and the coding upgraded, we will see a large No of features added to the site.

Until then it's a case of patience Grasshopper and all hail Greasemonkey and the script writer acolytes :laughing:B)

As your using Streetmap, there is no need to cut and paste, there is a link on each cache page. Also there is a add on that sits in the tool bar in FF which allows you to highlight coordinates and one click takes you to Streetmap [sorry I haven't got a link but I'm sure someone will come up with it]

Great thread PUP.

I have been using Firefox for years now (Apple Mac) but never got round having a proper look at the various extensions. Having your step by step guide made it easy and I am well impressed...

Yep, totally agree. The default map only ever gave the vaguest indication where a cache was and my next move was always then to click on the Streetmap link. This gives the best of both worlds - an OS Map directly on the cache page. Excellent stuff :anibad:

I've just found another extension that looks useful (http://clipmarks.com/how-to-clip/) It enables you to clip text, images and even video from a web page and then save them for future use (rather than having to book mark the whole page).

Ta for the info. I may look into it one day when I have a bit of time. For now I'll let Occam's razor and complete laziness rule. I've just had a look at the greasemonkey site and, having written a bit of JS years ago it's quite interesting. But for now I have to go and do some decorating ... on with the overalls.

Well, I've got FF up and running, together with GM 6.07 (couldn't download 6.08), plus the map replacement script, links to OS 1:25000, links to Flash Earth, and Mapit in the bookmark bar.

It all works really well and the maps are a great improvement for my caching experience saving me loads of time and clicks to get a useful map.

Thanks for the really useful info!

Cheers

:lostsignal: