Geocaching Membership Card

deafnut

I mean if we have one then sometime poilce supect person put bomb in cache but it stuff you put or trade cache so you show your mebership card that you put geocaching card to show your reson that will america know geocaching what you think ? tell me what you think .

Edited by deafhunt

I mean if we have one then sometime poilce supect person put bomb in cache but it stuff you put or trade cache so you show your mebership card that you put geocaching card to show your reson that will america know geocaching what you think ? tell me what you think .

It would be interesting, but I think it would require a fee on the part of the member, as I doubt Groundspeak would send out free cards to every member. Now, a printable card or pamphlet from the website with a basic rundown of what said person is doing might be a nice idea.

Premium Member should get one free because it cover more stuff they need. so Premium Member should get one and it will pull more geocaching to be Premium Member so they can get Geocaching membership card.

That sounds like an interesting idea. Perhaps a card and a little pin, to boot. This might add to the membership cost, though, so I'm sure some people might object -- it might require a new level of membership, like "basic premium" and "premium with cool stuff".

If you have a thought about geocaching member card please draw and put up here and we can talk about it .

One make sure you have geocaching logo and state too this will be peremnt make sure you thing good to show so we can have own geocaching member card so we have have a peace mind from poilce or other .

The biggest problem that I see with this is that having an official geocaching identification card issued by Groundspeak implies a certain level of authorization that just not there.

There are some fantastic brochures that can be printed out and handed out when needed, there are endless sources of stickers online, and there are several different unofficial geocacher ID cards that can be purchased online as well. Pick the one that you like the best and carry those if they make you feel more comfortable. :D

The added challenge with a membership card is that it won't really help with the police. No more than showing them a membership card for the Sierra Club or the National Rifle Association, anyone can get one and its not an official document like a state or federal ID.

The brochure and the folding card do a better job explaining Geocaching and the brochure looks more professional than a membership card.

If stopped by the cops, show them your GPSr and cache sheet. Yes, this has happened to me and no problems encountered save for a few raised eyebrows!

If caches are placed with permission there should never be any problem, a good example of this is the particular problem experienced in London recently, and the eminently sensible approach of the Metropolitan Police in co-operation with the Geocaching Assn. of Great Britain.

Ironically, geocaching came to the attention of the Police because they saw two American cachers acting suspiciously B)

Reminds me of Concealed Carry badges, those won't help you get out of trouble either.

Who? Me? I didn't do anything B) But it's amazing what people will buy thinking that it will protect them from being hassled by the police. While having a "Geocaching Permit"s rather tame, having a badge to flash at the police after a defensive shooting is just plain stupid. You'd be better off with your lawyers business card laminated in your wallet.

Edited by rdaines

That was so good ... anyone want to add or add goodies for member who pay.

Deafhunt, I will make no apology for saying that I personally do not understand why you persist on asking members of the geocaching forums for freebies.

All this has done, in my opinion is to single yourself out as someone who wants a free lunch, free ride and so on.

The geocaching community in my experience is a very welcoming one to everyone. Newbies come to the sport every day from all over the world. Most probably a proportion of those folks will have some impairment or disability of some sort, or maybe life has dealt them some low blows. Whatever the circumstances, people are welcomed here.

18 months or so ago, I was one of those newbies, people were kind and helpful, although many felt as a wheelchair cacher I might get frustrated by the lack of accessible caches and so on. I wanted things to change, but quickly realised that the best way to gain any credibility as a cacher is to be a cacher.

You get what I am saying?

I have mentioned this to you on another thread but for some reason you didn't really reply!

Deafhunt, my advice to you is get out there, enjoy the hunt, impress people with your caching prowess, let your actions speak on your behalf, I guarantee you, if you are sincere, dedicated and kind, respect from within and without the geocaching community will soon follow.

As a person with a disability, I am embarassed by you constantly asking this community to give to you. Please, go find some caches, make friends with cachers in your area, be an ambassador for this sport, but do so in a way that will enable you to hold your head high with pride; earn respect not pity.

I appreciate your difficulties, but please, help me to show people that people with disabilities can and do play this game on an equal basis not as people who constantly need ...

Here's a thought I will leave you with, what have you got to give to this community?

Please give it some thought, I know whatever you put into this game, you will gain time and time again in return. You really do have all you need to get out and do some caching, a computer and a GPSr.

Now, enough, go seek, happy caching! :D

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog

That was so good ... anyone want to add or add goodies for member who pay.

Deafhunt, I will make no apology for saying that I personally do not understand why you persist on asking members of the geocaching forums for freebies.

All this has done, in my opinion is to single yourself out as someone who wants a free lunch, free ride and so on.

Would you please explain what freebie he is asking for in this thread?

The original question was, should there be a GC.com memberhship card for people who join the website so if he got stopped by the poice he would have some sort of ID. He asked for input and got some very good reccomendations. This is not the first time this has been asked and every time it does their is always anew idea.

To answer what has he given to the community,

he did. Edited by magellan315

He's deaf, typing in English and American Sign Language are two different languages.

I still dont get it. How can you type in ASL? Is there a keyboard that shows all these different signs?

If you can read english, you should be able to type in English.

Every work with someone who learned english as a second language. You'll often find that when they write it they will mis-spell words or switch the order words are in because they have to constantly remember which way to do it. English is one of the more difficult languages in the world.

(Taking the moderator hat off for a moment) I really appreciate the mention of the little folding cards available through Geocacher-U.com. These have been around for a long time (I think it was geospotter who first put them together). I always carry a few around with me for people who are interested in the game and just in case I have to explain myself to anyone in law enforcement.

Honestly, other than that and a valid ID, I can't see what else you would need.

(putting the moderator hat on)

This thread has strayed from the original topic quite a bit and I'm not really sure it's going anywhere. Maybe it would be best to go ahead and close this one down.

While I appreciate the spirit of some of the more recent comments, they probably would have been better served in private messages.

Thanks for participating,

Bret