Good vs Bad caches

geomann1

I am curious as to what people consider good vs. bad caches. Granted different folks for different strokes, and that any serious cache placement should be appreciated.

In my opinion, good caches are:

(1) Interesting and/or pleasant location.

(2) Safe (I cache with the kids). Some cache locations invite trouble.

(3) Accurate coordinates and description! (no need to be exact, but don't be wrong).

(4) Element of creativity

(5) Difficulty comes from cleverness, not being a needle in a haystack (for example, hiding a cache in dense brush)

(6) Permission or legal access or low likelihood of problems (don't like snooping where I am not supposed to be or where others may object to my being).

(7) Some logistical info is nice, like a safe parking area.

(8) Few muggles.

My preference as far as my initial cache placements, is what I hope are well camoed, park and grabs, where the cache is right in front of you, but you may not notice it, or at least not initially.

My favorite finds are the well camoed micros, and/or larger caches involving hikes in scenic areas that I had not been to before.

Bad caches are the opposite of the above

I'm in general agreement with the suggestions above.

Also, a good quality container of whatever sort/style used, e.g., ammo can, good quality lock & lock or bison tube, etc., as opposed to an Altoids tin, low quality tupperware rip-off, badly sealing film cannister, etc.

I am curious as to what people consider good vs. bad caches. Granted different folks for different strokes, and that any serious cache placement should be appreciated.

(3) Accurate coordinates and description! (no need to be exact, but don't be wrong).

(5) Difficulty comes from cleverness, not being a needle in a haystack (for example, hiding a cache in dense brush)

(6) Permission or legal access or low likelihood of problems (don't like snooping where I am not supposed to be or where others may object to my being).

(8) Few muggles.

My preference as far as my initial cache placements, is what I hope are well camoed, park and grabs, where the cache is right in front of you, but you may not notice it, or at least not initially.

My favorite finds are the well camoed micros, and/or larger caches involving hikes in scenic areas that I had not been to before.

I reviewed some local caches I think there might be three within 100 miles that fits all that.

Although I could be wrong, it might be none.

My list stops at Fun.

That's why I started. Thats why I stay.

There are so many things that can come to gether to create fun that I really can't expand beyond that.

RK, that is very well said.

Good = fun. Makes sense. What kind of caches would be borderline or even south of the border fun to you guys?

(8) Few muggles.

I totally agree with 1-6. I don't need to know where to park (part of the challenge) and muggles don't really bother me anymore. Edited by TrailGators

This is a good list of what you think is a good cache. I would even guess that most people would agree with most of the items on the list. But there are just as many reason to cache as there are geocachers and I'm sure that there are geocachers that would disagree with each of your points.

(1) Interesting and/or pleasant location. - While this may be a bonus, for some people its about finding caches. Some may even prefer caches in the strip mall parking lot because they're easy to get to and can be done quickly.

(2) Safe (I cache with the kids). Some cache locations invite trouble. - Some don't cache with kids. They may prefer an extreme cache like a Scuba cache or one in a cave. Some even prefer caches like Vinny & Sue Team's Urban Psycho series.

(3) Accurate coordinates and description! (no need to be exact, but don't be wrong). - Since the object of geocaching is to find the cache using your GPS the coordinates should be as accurate as possible. Sometimes nearby buildings or the topology makes it hard to get good coordinates. Some may enjoy the challenge of a larger search area. Some people like liar's caches which purposefully lie about the area. Some hiders will not tell you anything about the cache hunt just to make it more difficult.

(4) Element of creativity - Not everyone can be creative. Some people are satisfied finding the same kinds of hides over and over. Some will see and copy a clever hide not realizing that it has be done so often.

(5) Difficulty comes from cleverness, not being a needle in a haystack (for example, hiding a cache in dense brush) - Some people actually enjoy finding a needle in a haystack, particularly if they have an idea of what to expect. They have a great sense of satisfaction when they finally find the cache. It's also hard to define this. If you don't find the cache it's a needle in a haystack; if you find it, it's cleverly hidden.

(6) Permission or legal access or low likelihood of problems (don't like snooping where I am not supposed to be or where others may object to my being). - Some people get a rush out of doing something that may be illegal or where they may get caught. It's a whole other topic as to whether a geocacher getting caught looking for a cache is good for geocaching or not. People will look. It's often noted that people will look for a cache at night in a park that closes at dusk.

(7) Some logistical info is nice, like a safe parking area. - Some people think that part of geocaching is navigating to the cache area using a GPS. If that also means figuring out the closest parking that is part of the challenge.

(8) Few muggles. - Many people like to practice using their stealth techniques when searching for a cache. A cache in a high muggle area is a challenge.

The best cache to hide is the kind of cache you like to find. Only you can decide what is a good cache for you. The biggest problem we have now is how to determine if a cache someone else hid is a good cache for you to find. Right now this takes a lot of research reading the cache pages, looking at the D/T, looking a logs, checking the location on a map before you go, asking other cachers in your area for recommendations. The only other recommendation is to not insist on finding every cache. If you are uncomfortable as some point in your search, just give up on this one and look for a different cache.

My list stops at Fun.

There are so many things that can come to gether to create fun that I really can't expand beyond that.

Good = fun. Makes sense. What kind of caches would be borderline or even south of the border fun to you guys?

On the good side,

Cool locations that I would not have seen without caching.

History with a cache.

A cool container or technique.

A bit of humor.

"south of the border"

Uncool locations that I wouldn't have seen without caching.

Yet another LPC, CPC, or whatever they are called this week.

Playground equipment, but I have nothing against the parks they are in.

Things can happen to move these around at any given time.

Lets say you add history to a LPC, or the whole point of a cache is to help clean up an uncool area.

I don't think humor would help a cache on playground equipment, at least not for a guy that looks like me.

The difference could be who I am with. It could be a matter of timming, a chance at FTF, or a choice between finding a LPC and watching the wife pick a new pair of shoes. :D

These are just some things that came to mind, not all inclusive. If I am having fun at the time, good. If I'm not enjoying myself, time to move to a different cache.

Hope this makes it a bit easier to understand.

This is a good list of what you think is a good cache. I would even guess that most people would agree with most of the items on the list.
Therefore a cache with most of those characteristics will be enjoyed by most people. That is a good thing! :D Keep in mind that this applies to caches with different terrain ratings. So when I say "most people" I mean most people within each terrain grouping. Most people can't do 3+ terrain caches but the people that can also appreciate a good cache. Of course, I can't remember finding any bad 3+ terrain caches. :D
This is a good list of what you think is a good cache. I would even guess that most people would agree with most of the items on the list.
Therefore a cache with most of those characteristics will be enjoyed by most people. That is a good thing!

It's not a good thing if you're one of those who disagrees with one or more items on the list.

Edited by tozainamboku
Therefore a cache with most of those characteristics will be enjoyed by most people. That is a good thing!
It's not a good thing if you're one of those who disagrees with one or more items on the list.
You said it. I was just agreeing....
Most people. Most people are happy to say they enjoyed the cache. Normally that has little or nothing to do with the aspects of the hide.

I know my enjoyment does. Take me to a crappy spot and I won't be a happy camper and the hider gets a short log. Take me to a great spot and I'll write a long appreciative log! :D
You said it. I was just agreeing....

You said that placing a cache that please the most people is a good thing. I'm just saying if only caches that pleased most people were placed, some people would not be happy. It's better to place caches that please you, then there will be caches place that please all people in approximately the correct proportions of the number of people pleased. Say that 10 times real fast. :D

Most people. Most people are happy to say they enjoyed the cache. Normally that has little or nothing to do with the aspects of the hide.

I know my enjoyment does. Take me to a crappy spot and I won't be a happy camper and the hider gets a short log. Take me to a great spot and I'll write a long appreciative log! :D

Oh, me too. I base that opinion on reading many logs of caches in 'okay' areas. Here's a couple from a lamp post cache not even in a Walmart.

"Great place for a cache"

"Great Cache"

"A GREAT after-work Cache"

Seems like they enjoyed it.

I guess I'll re-clarify my position. It seems to me that has little or nothing to do with the aspects of the hide. Just that it was hidden for them to find.

I know my enjoyment does. Take me to a crappy spot and I won't be a happy camper and the hider gets a short log. Take me to a great spot and I'll write a long appreciative log! B)

Oh, me too. I base that opinion on reading many logs of caches in 'okay' areas. Here's a couple from a lamp post cache not even in a Walmart.

"Great place for a cache"

"Great Cache"

"A GREAT after-work Cache"

Seems like they enjoyed it.

I guess I'll re-clarify my position. It seems to me that has little or nothing to do with the aspects of the hide. Just that it was hidden for them to find.

I enjoyed LPCs the first few times I found them too. They just got extremely stale for me the more I continued to find them. One aspect of good is freshness like gum. How many times can you chew the same piece of gum? So I think newbies will enjoy a lot more caches than oldbies because everything is new and fresh to them.

My list stops at Fun.

When I was a punk of 17 I had just gotten a case of beer and threw it in the back of my truck. I picked up my best friend and off we headed for adventure. I was in an unshakable good mood. As we drove by a bookstore my friend had talked about he said "Hey there's that book store". Not being too bright I whipped into the parking lot. Or I tried too anyway. I turned across oncoming traffic in front of a brank spaking new caddie. They busted up the rear quarter pannel of my truck and bent my bumper. I mangled their hood, grill, and quarter panel. There were no injuries, but the lady started to cry on the spot. The police came, I got my well deserved citation and we left to find adventure. My great mood was not shaken in the least. We went out to the party spot by the river settled into the party and I picked up a new girlfriend, my friend got blitzed, the officer never did look in the back of my truck and find the beer, and not one of them had been broken. Later we stopped at a resterant for munchies. My new lady and I had a great meal. My blitzed friend wanted to stay in the truck and not move. He crawled off and found a hole. When we finished eating we went out found that my friend was gone and we went looking for him. My lady and I got more time to walk and talk and we eventually found him in a field, in a hole. Near that hole I also found a new bumper for my truck. We loaded him up and took him home en route he threw up all over the side of my truck. I drove the bonnie lass home gave her a kiss and called it a night. She had had a good time.

It was a great night in spite of the one crappy incident. A good or bad cache has more to do with what you bring to it than the cache itself. Fun is as fun does. If I was having the opposite mood then no amount of great things happening to me could unroot me from my 'no fun' zone. Caching is more than the cache. It's the adventure you are having while you are caching.

Later every single good thing from that night went south, and the bad thing led to a positive. Go figure.

That said I tend to enjoy caches large enough for trade items. I could care less about a log book so wet or dry doesn't matter. It's a bummer if the one item I'd trade for was moldy, but that's the risk of leaving things out in the environment.

Yes, attitude has a lot to do with how much someone enjoys caching. It also can influence whether or not you think a cache is good or bad.

Many people enjoy eating at a Cracker Barrel and that’s probably why they like to hide caches there. Some people don’t like either.

Yes, attitude has a lot to do with how much someone enjoys caching. It also can influence whether or not you think a cache is good or bad.

Many people enjoy eating at a Cracker Barrel and that's probably why they like to hide caches there. Some people don't like either.

Stale gum is stale gum. I'm not sure how my attitude can change that. Should I smile while I chew it? :( Anyhow, my attitude definitely improves when I'm doing something fun. The more fun it is the better it gets. B)

Many people enjoy eating at a Cracker Barrel and that’s probably why they like to hide caches there. Some people don’t like either.

I have found that good caches are entirely dependent on where I am. On recent roadtrips, I really liked Park 'n Grabs. They took me to places I wouldn't have seen in little towns along the way. I remember some of these magnetic "Hide a Keys "fondly. B)

Back here at home, I have no interest in them . . . B)

The good caches here are those that are at the end of a nice hike where I get cool views like this one on the way to "Colour My World."

a949396e-53f5-4cd5-977f-8f85bde6e71d.jpg

:(

Edited by Miragee

I have found that good caches are entirely dependent on where I am. On recent roadtrips, I really liked Park 'n Grabs. They took me to places I wouldn't have seen in little towns along the way. I remember some of these magnetic "Hide a Keys "fondly. B)

Back here at home, I have no interest in them . . . B)

The good caches here are those that are at the end of a nice hike where I get cool views like this one on the way to "Colour My World.

a949396e-53f5-4cd5-977f-8f85bde6e71d.jpg

:(

I saw that photo Miragee! That is awesome! B) I wish I could have rolled out of bed at 5AM to make it down there to join you guys!

Many people enjoy eating at a Cracker Barrel and that's probably why they like to hide caches there. Some people don't like either.

Stale gum is stale gum. I'm not sure how my attitude can change that. Should I smile while I chew it? B) Anyhow, my attitude definitely improves when I'm doing something fun. The more fun it is the better it gets. :(

I think his point is that everyone has different attitudes toward caching and that the subjectiveness of whether a cache is good or bad, to some degree, is derived from that persons attitude.

There is a lot of truth to that...if some doesn't have quite the same attitude, or disposition, regarding caching that you or I do then they won't likely obtain our standards when placing a cache.

It's just part of the subjectiveness..., but I don't necessarily think he meant you need to change your attitude. B)

Stale gum is stale gum. I'm not sure how my attitude can change that. Should I smile while I chew it? B) Anyhow, my attitude definitely improves when I'm doing something fun. The more fun it is the better it gets. :(

I think his point is that everyone has different attitudes toward caching and that the subjectiveness of whether a cache is good or bad, to some degree, is derived from that persons attitude.

There is a lot of truth to that...if some doesn't have quite the same attitude, or disposition, regarding caching that you or I do then they won't likely obtain our standards when placing a cache.

It's just part of the subjectiveness..., but I don't necessarily think he meant you need to change your attitude. B)

Attitude has a lot to do with how much you enjoy caching. It doesn't make a cache good or bad.

I select a movie critic that tends to like movies I like. Then when they make a recommendation I have a good chance of agreeing with them. I doubt they are going to tell me that I’ll like this movie if I come with the right attitude. They are more likely to tell me how this movie is probably going to make me feel once I am there.

I could have the best day of my life while looking for a cache, and be very glad I made the effort to go look for it. But the cache still sucks.

Usually I'm just having a normal day and enjoy caches placed in nice locations and hope I'll have fun looking for them.

Edited by BlueDeuce
I select a movie critic that tends to like movies I like. Then when they make a recommendation I have a good chance of agreeing with them.
I do share kewl caches I have found with several people that enjoy the same kind of caches that I do and I get recommendations. They've never been wrong yet! I also use favorites or must-do bookmark lists. I have yet to have someone ever recommend an LPC to me, but the bottom line is there are clear differences between caching styles. Many of us enjoy visiting caches in kewl locations or finding caches hidden in kewl ways and many others like any cache that gives them a smiley. I'm not an "any cache" kind of cacher but I do really enjoy caching. B)

A good cache is one that someone placed because they wanted to, and is there for me to find when I want to look for one.

A bad cache is one that someone wanted to place, but they felt pressured into not hiding by people that thought they knew how to play this game better, and so I didn't have a cache to find on a business trip that I otherwise would have.

As I noted in my first post, one should be appreciative of anyone placing a cache with the objective of other people have safe fun. Granted, there is a place for dangerous cache's if they are clearly described as such.

That being said, In my limited caching "career" I've come across what I thought were excellant caches and some that I though were poor. As with any activity there is some objective measure of quality; I don't buy the argument that everything in life is subjective.

A good cache provides an enjoyable caching experience, which for most involves something unusual and challenging.

If some one'e idea of fun is doing 20 LPC a day in WM parking lots, more power to them, but I would suspect that most people who cache do so for the challenge.

I don't think anyone is being pressure not to do place a cache. I agree everything has its place.

They only pressure I feel is to try to come up with an idea that will challenge people and they will have a sense of accomplishment and good feeling when they sign the log book.

A good cache is one that someone placed because they wanted to, and is there for me to find when I want to look for one.

A bad cache is one that someone wanted to place, but they felt pressured into not hiding by people that thought they knew how to play this game better, and so I didn't have a cache to find on a business trip that I otherwise would have.

Honestly have you been deprived of not being able to find enough quickie caches on your business trips? Most big cities have gobs of them. Anyhow, I think the OP was looking for qualities that described caches that people enjoy more. So out of all the caches you've found what kind of caches do you enjoy the most? If you were on a deserted island and could only have one cache would it be an LPC? B)

A good cache provides an enjoyable caching experience, which for most involves something unusual and challenging.

If some one'e idea of fun is doing 20 LPC a day in WM parking lots, more power to them, but I would suspect that most people who cache do so for the challenge.

You can only guess at what most people find enjoyable. But the point is that even if there is something only a few people enjoy, they have a right to have those kinds of caches to find. If people hide the kind of cache they like to find we'll get a good mix of caches. Admitedly, this is not perfect. LPCs are cheap and easy to hide, so the people who like them tend to hide more than people who like to hide challenging caches or hiking caches. On the other hand, it takes far less time to find an LPC than a challenging hide or a hike, so it sort of works out in the end.

You can only guess at what most people find enjoyable. But the point is that even if there is something only a few people enjoy, they have a right to have those kinds of caches to find. If people hide the kind of cache they like to find we'll get a good mix of caches. Admitedly, this is not perfect. LPCs are cheap and easy to hide, so the people who like them tend to hide more than people who like to hide challenging caches or hiking caches. On the other hand, it takes far less time to find an LPC than a challenging hide or a hike, so it sort of works out in the end.

The OP wanted to know what you personally consider to be a good cache and what you consider to be a bad cache? It seems like a pretty cut and dry question. Certainly there must be caches you'll always remember just like there are caches that you really do not enjoy.....

A good cache is one that I can find.

Bingo!...That helps :(

I know my enjoyment does. Take me to a crappy spot and I won't be a happy camper and the hider gets a short log. Take me to a great spot and I'll write a long appreciative log! B)

amen!

What's too long? Would .8 miles in and .8 mile back be too long? I have a spot but that's the distance. I should note there are no caches near where I'm talking about. I think it may be too long..right? Nice spot at the end and an active atv trail in summer and fall.

What's too long? Would .8 miles in and .8 mile back be too long? I have a spot but that's the distance. I should note there are no caches near where I'm talking about. I think it may be too long..right? Nice spot at the end and an active atv trail in summer and fall.

This is not too long. Some would even say it is a short distance. If you place a nice cache and it is a good location - go for it.

edit to add a word

Edited by boda

ayep.