.tpo to .gpx

mike909

I'm trying to convert .tpo files (such as those found on mapxchange ) to .gpx? I tried gpsbabel and it errors out saying

TPO: this file format only supports tracks, not waypoints or routes.

this article speaks about it being possible, but with the assistance of another program (ozi explorer).

Use this command with gpsbabel 1.3.x:

gpsbabel.exe -p "" -t -i tpo3 -f "file.tpo" -o gpx -F "file.gpx"

You can change option tpo3 for tpo2.

Cypherman

C:\gpsbabel 133>gpsbabel.exe -p "" -t -i tpo2 -f "Cabin.tpo" -o gpx -F "testoutp

ut.gpx"

TPO: The input file does not look like a valid .TPO file.

Maybe natl. geographic changed their .tpo format or something. Tried tpo3 as well.

Edited by mike909
C:\gpsbabel 133>gpsbabel.exe -p "" -t -i tpo2 -f "Cabin.tpo" -o gpx -F "testoutp

ut.gpx"

TPO: The input file does not look like a valid .TPO file.

Maybe natl. geographic changed their .tpo format or something. Tried tpo3 as well.

Can you Send me your file please. I check that

email: cypherman1 (AT) gmail dot com

Cypherman

UPDATE:

Cypherman has confirmed the issue and contacted gpsbabel folks:

quote]This appears to be an older (pre-3.0) file containing waypoints. We

never successfully reverse engineered that format.

That's unfortunate, because localhikes.com uses the .tpo format too and they are a great resource for hikes.

Thanks for tryinig Cypherman...I appreciate your effort.

Maybe I'l try to get my hands on an older version of TOPO!

Mike

What you need is to find someone with the NEWER version of TOPO. When it tries to open the older version file, it will convert the older tpo files to the newer version .......then GPS Babel will convert that (the newer version tpo file) to GPX.

I just tried the whole procedure and the conversion from old tpo to GPX works fine.

I viewed the gpx file in Expert GPS.

I don't have the Nevada state series TOPO to verify the results on a map but if you'll identify just a couple of ones you need converted , and send me your e-mail, I'll convert them and send you a couple of GPX files to try.

What you need is to find someone with the NEWER version of TOPO. When it tries to open the older version file, it will convert the older tpo files to the newer version .......then GPS Babel will convert that (the newer version tpo file) to GPX.

I just tried the whole procedure and the conversion from old tpo to GPX works fine.

I viewed the gpx file in Expert GPS.

I don't have the Nevada state series TOPO to verify the results on a map but if you'll identify just a couple of ones you need converted , and send me your e-mail, I'll convert them and send you a couple of GPX files to try.

If someone has V4.2.2 of TOPO! they can convert the .tpo file to .gpx without going through any intermediate software. TOPO! can output a .gpx file. Handheld menu/export (to GPS or .txt) Wizard.

Edited by Klatch

Everything you said makes sense, but how did you convert old tpo to gpx and how many different versions of topo are there? 1, 2 & 3? old being 1 and new being 3?

All the ones I'm trying to convert are from LocalHiles.com and TopoXchange

Active versions (now) are v3 and v4. I used v4.2.7.......

I selected one of the files in Colorado since that's the state series I have. (I used Molas Pass)

I downloaded the file from Topo x change, opened it in TOPO (V4.2.7)( it gave me a message that the file was created by an earlier version and must be converted)

It was converted to new version. I viewed it in TOPO and then I saved it (new version)

I opened GPSBabel, selected the newly saved (tpo) file, and converted it to GPX

I then opened the GPX file with Expert GPS and all data looked fine.

If someone has V4.2.2 of TOPO! they can convert the .tpo file to .gpx without going through any intermediate software. TOPO! can output a .gpx file. Handheld menu/export (to GPS or .txt) Wizard.

Klatch,

If you will try your own suggestion, you will find that it will not work......

TOPO will only export SOME data ( Waypoints and Routes) as a GPX file. The files that the OP references (at least most, I haven't checked ALL) don't have any Waypoints or Routes, only Tracks and Notes. TOPO will not export Tracks, as GPX.

Newest TOPO will IMPORT Tracks (and udder stuff) FROM GPX but not export.

Klatch,

If you will try your own suggestion, you will find that it will not work......

TOPO will only export SOME data ( Waypoints and Routes) as a GPX file. The files that the OP references (at least most, I haven't checked ALL) don't have any Waypoints or Routes, only Tracks and Notes. TOPO will not export Tracks, as GPX.

Newest TOPO will IMPORT Tracks (and udder stuff) FROM GPX but not export.

You are correct, but my reply was is in reference to the discussion related to the original post:

I'm trying to convert .tpo files (such as those found on mapxchange ) to .gpx? I tried gpsbabel and it errors out saying: TPO: this file format only supports tracks, not waypoints or routes.

It is true, if the file only contains tracks, the .gpx file will be empty. If the track is first converted to a route in TOPO and then the file is converted to .gpx the route can be used to construct a route in MapSource.

Edited by Klatch

The OP's post was about MapXchange files , and if you open some of those, they are mostly tracks.

Yes, you can convert tracks to routes and export that way, but you lose a lot of accuracy (trackpoints) doing that.

V 5 TOPO will contain many new changes, a couple of which are supposed to be a much different way of handling Tracks and more compatibility with GPX.

The OP's post was about MapXchange files , and if you open some of those, they are mostly tracks.

Yes, you can convert tracks to routes and export that way, but you lose a lot of accuracy (trackpoints) doing that.

V 5 TOPO will contain many new changes, a couple of which are supposed to be a much different way of handling Tracks and more compatibility with GPX.

When is V5 coming out?

But won't a lot of the accuracy be lost, when converting from track to 'route' as you said?

Well, yes. How much do you need? You can tell TOPO to use lots of waypoints and come pretty close. The GPSBabel method IS more accurate. I don't use ExpertGPS, I have GPSBabel output a .gdb file and open it in MapSource. I really wasn't trying to stir anything up, just pointing out there is an alternative was to get it done.