Postal Rates changing again!

Not So Lost Puppies

Changes on the way for shipping costs!!!

Changes to start on May 14th, 2007. (though some changes may be delayed)

New releases:

http://www.usps.com/communications/newsroom/welcome.htm

http://www.usps.com/communications/newsroo...07/pr07_023.htm

Proposed (some accepted) rates for first class.

http://www.usps.com/ratecase/fcm_single_piece_presorted.htm

first class letter 1oz rates will increase to .41 May 3, 2006. with reduction in additional oz rates of .20

different initial ounce rates for flats and parcels.

Do our coin bubble mailers count as letters, flats, or parcels? it didn't matter before as after the first ounce it was the same rate, now it will matter.

Edited by Not So Lost Puppies

Changes on the way for shipping costs!!!

Changes to start on May 14th, 2007. (though some changes may be delayed)

New releases:

http://www.usps.com/communications/newsroom/welcome.htm

http://www.usps.com/communications/newsroo...07/pr07_023.htm

Proposed (some accepted) rates for first class.

first class letter 1oz rates will increase to .41 May 3, 2006. with reduction in additional oz rates of .20

different initial ounce rates for flats and parcels.

Do our coin bubble mailers count as letters, flats, or parcels? it didn't matter before as after the first ounce it was the same rate, now it will matter.

well this is gonna be fun....

:o yeah I wonder if the bubble mailers would be considered letters or parcels....

:o yeah I wonder if the bubble mailers would be considered letters or parcels....

The small-mid-sized bubble mailers are considered flats. Boxes and other larger bubble envelopes are considered parcels.

Not at our post office. A flat would be a magazine or something similar. The mailers we use are actually called slugs, and they come in our parcel hampers or off the slug rack. Neither of which is considered a flat. Pittsburgh is the first place to start using a flat sorting machine. If it can't go through the machine it isn't a flat, and our mailers will be ripped open in these.

I think it is going to be a different story depending on where you go for awhile, then it will all be sorted out. It will be interesting.

Why can't they make up their mind on what they want postage to be. Geez I just bought two rolls of stamps and I will now have to go out and buy some 2 cent stamps. GAHHH B):(

I feel your pain but now in Canada we have stamps that keep their value forever. You buy them today and when the letter rate goes up, they are still good fo sending a letter. Rates go up again, they are still good. Too bad they can't be used on anything but letters, but it's better than nothing - sort of. Now if they could just figure out how to get a package from the USA to here in less than 3 weeks...

Why can't they make up their mind on what they want postage to be. Geez I just bought two rolls of stamps and I will now have to go out and buy some 2 cent stamps. GAHHH B)B)

I feel your pain but now in Canada we have stamps that keep their value forever. You buy them today and when the letter rate goes up, they are still good fo sending a letter. Rates go up again, they are still good. Too bad they can't be used on anything but letters, but it's better than nothing - sort of. Now if they could just figure out how to get a package from the USA to here in less than 3 weeks...

we have forever stamps as well, but it just seem silly to go up to the post office and say.... excuse me, can I please have 100 rolls of stamps please :(

Why can't they make up their mind on what they want postage to be. Geez I just bought two rolls of stamps and I will now have to go out and buy some 2 cent stamps. GAHHH :(B)

we have forever stamps as well, but it just seem silly to go up to the post office and say.... excuse me, can I please have 100 rolls of stamps please B)

Yes, we will have 'forever' stamps, but I read that they will not be available in bulk packaging (such as 100 count rolls) and only available for standard 1oz letters.

And I had also bought a batch of 87 and 63 cent stamps for coin trades. so that will require some odd value stamps to go along with them.

Yes, we will have 'forever' stamps, but I read that they will not be available in bulk packaging (such as 100 count rolls) and only available for standard 1oz letters.

And I had also bought a batch of 87 and 63 cent stamps for coin trades. so that will require some odd value stamps to go along with them.

Well, I certainly hit submit too early there, didn't I ?!?!

Anyway, What I meant to add here is that I hope that the 'makeup' stamps are at least an interesting design.

Also, now I'm glad that I didn't splurge for one of those digital scales that gives you the postage -- mine just does weight, so until they mandate a change to the law of gravity, then I'm good. Poorer, but good.

AND ---

based on the table here:

I think that we should engage in more multi-coin trades now. Postage is actually going to get cheaper for 'flats' above 7 oz. :rolleyes:

yeah but... as discussed in earlier threads.... we're not sure if bubble mailers are considered to be 'flats'.... I use 2 bubble wraps when I send coins out so I might have to think of anotehr way..... we'll have to see....

yeah but... as discussed in earlier threads.... we're not sure if bubble mailers are considered to be 'flats'.... I use 2 bubble wraps when I send coins out so I might have to think of anotehr way..... we'll have to see....

Bubble mailers are typically thicker than 1/4" which makes them fall into the non-machinable category. According to the link in one of the above posts, all non-machinable mail will pay the rate for flats. The P.O. has essentially applied the non-machinable surcharge to all non-machinable items - regardless of weight.

Bubble mailers are typically thicker than 1/4" which makes them fall into the non-machinable category. According to the link in one of the above posts, all non-machinable mail will pay the rate for flats. The P.O. has essentially applied the non-machinable surcharge to all non-machinable items - regardless of weight.

gotcha. thanks for the clarification!

Got this information off of the usps website. Since it is saying that envelopes can't even be over 3.5 ounces, that would mean that anything that weighs 3.5 ounces or more will be considered a flat.

I am assuming from that language that even bubble mailiers that don't weigh more than 3.5 ounces will be considered flats.

Info from usps website below:

Will large envelopes weighing 1 ounce or less continue to be subject to a nonmachinable surcharge?

No, since large envelopes now have their own price structure (flats prices); the nonmachinable surcharge no longer applies.

Why do all the prices for letters only go up to 3.5 ounces?

With pricing by shape, the maximum weight for letters is now 3.5 ounces. Letters weighing more than 3.5 ounces would be subject to the flats prices (the prices for large envelopes). The maximum weight for large envelopes and packages remains 13 ounces.

Edited by Eric K