Etrex Vista C Problem

Well to start i own a Garmin Etrex Vista C

And well i have started having problems with it,

since about 2 weeks ago,

whats the problem you say

well i turn the unit on ( with fresh battery's)

and it boots up just fine and goes to the satellite page i turn on the backlight

but after about 30 seconds to 1 min the darn thing shuts down all by its self!!

almost like it crashed or something,,it only happends when i turn the back light on,,, I have reseted the unit updated the software on the unit and it does the same thing,,

its really annoying to say the least

my GPS is useless at night due to this problem!!

and i am wondering if any one out there has had the same problem and might be able to help me out of this jam....

Edited by Charles Iverson

I've had the same exact problem with my Vista C. I thought at first it was the infamous loose battery connector syndrome but eliminated that possibility buy putting a small piece of rubber behind the contacts to make a tighter fit but this didn't solve the problem. Watch your battery meter very closely and if it's like mine, you will see the level drop suddenly before it shuts down. I have had mine replaced by Garmin twice for the same reason. The one I have now seems to work fine. I would definitely try to get them to replace it because it will only get worse.

I've had the same exact problem with my Vista C. I thought at first it was the infamous loose battery connector syndrome but eliminated that possibility buy putting a small piece of rubber behind the contacts to make a tighter fit but this didn't solve the problem. Watch your battery meter very closely and if it's like mine, you will see the level drop suddenly before it shuts down. I have had mine replaced by Garmin twice for the same reason. The one I have now seems to work fine. I would definitely try to get them to replace it because it will only get worse.

wow yeah its to the getting worse stage,, :ph34r:

i will look in to them replacing/ repairing it it and i will let you guys know

any one else have any ideas?

:(:ph34r:

Double-double check your batteries. I know you probably already did.

I has some rechargables that showed full charge on the charger. But put them in my Legend C, and the same behavior you described.

Bought brand new 2500mA and it has not happened since.

Send it back to Garmin. For various mechanical problems, I've have all three of my etrexeseses REPLACED by those wonderful folks at garmin at no cost.

Jelly

is that with out the $150.00 repair fee?????

dna1990 Posted Mar 19 2007, 07:13 PM

Double-double check your batteries. I know you probably already did.

I has some rechargables that showed full charge on the charger. But put them in my Legend C, and the same behavior you described.

Bought brand new 2500mA and it has not happened since.

yeah i tryed that,,and just now it did it when it was pluged in to my laptop,,

i am contacting GAMIN!!!

any one else have any advice??

or have problems of there own with there Etrex vista c???

Edited by Charles Iverson

Well to start i own a Garmin Etrex Vista C

And well i have started having problems with it,

since about 2 weeks ago,

whats the problem you say

well i turn the unit on ( with fresh battery's)

and it boots up just fine and goes to the satellite page i turn on the backlight

but after about 30 seconds to 1 min the darn thing shuts down all by its self!!

almost like it crashed or something,,it only happends when i turn the back light on,,, I have reseted the unit updated the software on the unit and it does the same thing,,

its really annoying to say the least

my GPS is useless at night due to this problem!!

and i am wondering if any one out there has had the same problem and might be able to help me out of this jam....

I also had this happen with my garmin vista (BW). It seem the battery connection were too loose. I streached the battery springs and seem to fix it. I got rid of it when the joy stick died. Good Luck

a