garmin 60csx problems

hello. iv just had the 60csx 3weeks and ive just about sussed everything it does apart from im having problems with the route finding, if i choose 2 waypoints and calculate a route between them both, using roads, then fastest route, then it starts calculating and the percentage bar moves up to 100%. nearly every other time i calculate a route between 2 places my gps screen fades out and shuts off and i have to restart the gps, it may do this 3 times before it finally calculates the route, but occasionally it works fine all the time, im using the topo gb v2 map. is it a software glitch? or is my gps faulty?, its just that ive searched the net and not seen a similar problem on there, its very frustrating turning the dadgum thing back on all the time when im trying to do routes, batteries are good, the screen seems to fade out slowly which is different to when you just turn the unit off, im using latest firmware update 3.20 can anyone help me, thankyou

Edited by The Hoff

hello. iv just had the 60csx 3weeks and ive just about sussed everything it does apart from im having problems with the route finding, if i choose 2 waypoints and calculate a route between them both, using roads, then fastest route, then it starts calculating and the percentage bar moves up to 100%. nearly every other time i calculate a route between 2 places my gps screen fades out and shuts off and i have to restart the gps, it may do this 3 times before it finally calculates the route, but occasionally it works fine all the time, im using the topo gb v2 map. is it a software glitch? or is my gps faulty?, its just that ive searched the net and not seen a similar problem on there, its very frustrating turning the dadgum thing back on all the time when im trying to do routes, batteries are good, the screen seems to fade out slowly which is different to when you just turn the unit off, im using latest firmware update 3.20 can anyone help me, thankyou

Does it only shut off when you're calculating a route, never any other time?

I've read here that using the 60csx on a map boundary can cause it to shut off, because it experiences an error and dies. Maybe you're just "lucky" enough to live near one such boundary?

Lithium batteries are also known to cause power downs when they're brand new -- too much juice initially.

You mention calculating a route by road - fastest route - using Topo maps.

The Topos do not support autorouting by road. I sometimes forget to switch back to CS from the Topos and the unit will sometimes get stuck trying to calculate a route. I don't ever remember the unit just shutting down.

Make sure you have City Navigator or similar auto-route compatable maps to calculate road routes.

You mention calculating a route by road - fastest route - using Topo maps.

The Topos do not support autorouting by road. I sometimes forget to switch back to CS from the Topos and the unit will sometimes get stuck trying to calculate a route. I don't ever remember the unit just shutting down.

Make sure you have City Navigator or similar auto-route compatable maps to calculate road routes.

You can route by Topo. I've forgotten to turn on CN, and accidentally routed by the Topo maps. It actually got me there, but by a very inefficient route, since it didn't know about the newer roads.

must be faulty unit, i resit memory card and calculated a route and it worked, then i deleted the route and created same route again, i repeated this 5 times and thought problem was solved but on the 6th attempt my gps died and switched off during the calculation, full batteries too?????????

hya mike, gps on and not using demo, glad i met sum1 with similar problem, wot have u done about it? i supose its not affecting you really if it doesnt do it when gps is on, its 1 in every 4 times its doing it with me, but still annoying after paying £400 with topo

Edited by The Hoff

hya mike, gps on and not using demo, glad i met sum1 with similar problem, wot have u done about it? i supose its not affecting you really if it doesnt do it when gps is on, its 1 in every 4 times its doing it with me, but still annoying after paying £400 with topo

BTW I am also having the same shutdown while routing problem. I am running 3.30 but I haven't found a solution yet.

The latest 60csx software version is 3.3. I don't know if this will help your specific problem but it may be worth a try. Best of Luck - Topotracker

I bought my 60CSx with Topo GB last August when I think the firmware was version 2.9 or 3.0. The problem I had was the unit greying out to off when I was autorouting. Always in the same place. And on a join in the map tiles! The next firmware update (3.0 or 3.1) specifically mentioned this problem as one of the things that was 'cured'. I haven't had a problem since.

Maybe the problem has crept back in with newer versions of the firmware? Is the location it is happening on a join in the tiles? It's probably worth a hard reset of the unit and then a re-load of the firmware. Let us know how it goes!

With the lithium batteries thing: I have found that in the setup screen you can tell it you are using lithium ion batters and it does fine. I use the engergizer lithium batteries and it lasts forever. Your best bet would be to call garmin about it though.

Just for the record, the usual AA "Lithium" batteries, like the Energizer e2 you can get at W*Mart, are NOT Lithium Ion. They have a Lithium / Iron Disulfide chemistry and are disposable batteries, as opposed to the Lithium Iodine ones that are rechargeable.

Due to the difference in cell voltage, there isn't any single LiIon 1.5V AA battery I know of. I think I have seen packs that within limits can be used instead of 2 AA's, but I can't find them online right now.

Jan