User Flagging System

crtrue

I don't think we'll ever see a user-submitted rating system on caches, simply because of the competition it creates between cache owners and potential for spamming makes it unhealthy to the site and the sport as a whole.

Yet, finding a few good caches in a new area is still a matter of checking each one out individually and looking for clues on the page.

Ratings don't tell much and simply cause competition -- so why not descriptive flags?

If you use the sites, think like Slashdot or Fark. A single word description or icon that a user tags the cache with (I don't know if it would be wise to limit the cacher to a single flag or multiple), similar to an attribute, but more generic and meant to describe the quality of the cache as from the point of view of the cacher.

Off the top of my head, I generally avoided negative flags, since I don't know how useful or wanted those would be. They are generally adjectives, directly inspired by Fark, giving a larger variety of mixed options and not making any one type "better" than another:

"Creative"

"Humorous"

"Frightening"

"Interesting"

"Inspiring"

"Repetitive" (Sorry, we do need one :))

"Amazing"

"Physical" (As in, weighing heavily on physically demanding, not "physical" versus "virtual")

"Mental" (As in, weighing in on the mental side)

"Life-changing" (Perhaps??...no...)

"Life-ruining" (Hopefully never needed...hehe)

"Awww" (You never know...)

I had the exact same thought... Similar to the 'tags' from slashdot.

Users can apply any tags they like to a cache.

I do forsee issues from cache owners angry about negative tags. To solve that, all tags could be hidden by default on the cache page till the user shows them by clicking something. user could select certain tags to always show, if present.

This is similar to bookmark lists, but is really closer to user-definable attributes.

"Crappy"

"Mundane"

"Awful"

"Boring"

"Overused"

"Pretentious"

"Retarded"

"BadCoords"

"Liar!!!1!"

:ph34r:

Yawn.

Pedestrian.

Blasé

Snorefest

Quaint

Tribble (as in from “the trouble with tribbles maybe spelled wrong but means ‘there are so freaking meany of these things we should round them up and kill them all).

"Crappy"

"Mundane"

"Awful"

"Boring"

"Overused"

"Pretentious"

"Retarded"

"BadCoords"

"Liar!!!1!"

:rolleyes:

Yawn.

Pedestrian.

Blasé

Snorefest

Quaint

Tribble (as in from “the trouble with tribbles maybe spelled wrong but means ‘there are so freaking meany of these things we should round them up and kill them all).

Nobody came up with DPM? :o:D

"Crappy"

"Mundane"

"Awful"

"Boring"

"Overused"

"Pretentious"

"Retarded"

"BadCoords"

"Liar!!!1!"

:(

Yawn.

Pedestrian.

Blasé

Snorefest

Quaint

Nobody came up with DPM? B)B)

did anybody say

stupid....

idioty.... (I know that is not a word...but it sounds good)