2GB SD card for Garmin 60cx - worth it?

JonB_SD

For those of you who have upgraded to 2GB microSD cards for the Garmin GPSMap 60csx, 60cx or 76csx, 86cx series - do you have any performance issues when loading it up?

My 60cx is on it's way here and after doing a bit of reading it sounds like I need to purchase the City navigator NT v8 software (another $130 - why isn't this included???) to get a GPS unit that is actually useful in turn by turn navigating similar to the units in a rental car.

If I load the whole North America NT set on the SD card - are there any performance problems noticed? Any other issues? It would be nice to load all the maps once and not worry about it no matter where I go.

Thanks!

For those of you who have upgraded to 2GB microSD cards for the Garmin GPSMap 60csx, 60cx or 76csx, 86cx series - do you have any performance issues when loading it up?

My 60cx is on it's way here and after doing a bit of reading it sounds like I need to purchase the City navigator NT v8 software (another $130 - why isn't this included???) to get a GPS unit that is actually useful in turn by turn navigating similar to the units in a rental car.

If I load the whole North America NT set on the SD card - are there any performance problems noticed? Any other issues? It would be nice to load all the maps once and not worry about it no matter where I go.

Thanks!

I have all of City Nav v8 NA and Hawaii loaded on a 60Cx with ordinary 2Gb Sandisk microSD and have not noticed any performance problems. I don't think you want NT version maps - new technology? for the x series as NT maps are compressed and meant to be used with the automotive units like the 2600/2700 and Nuvi series? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!

I have all of City Nav v8 NA and Hawaii loaded on a 60Cx with ordinary 2Gb Sandisk microSD and have not noticed any performance problems. I don't think you want NT version maps - new technology? for the x series as NT maps are compressed and meant to be used with the automotive units like the 2600/2700 and Nuvi series? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I think you need the NT version if you want to all of the US on a 1 gig card. With a 2 gig card I belive you can get away with the non NT version. If you have the 2 gig card go with what is cheaper.

Why isn't the software included? Because they'd have to charge another $100 bucks for the unit. I think it's better that they make it optional. I don't think people realize how much it costs a company to develop, maintain and support software.

I have the 2gb SanDisk card and it works like a champ. I have all the Cont. US and Hawaii loaded with CN V8 (non-NT) and a good chunk of the western states with Topo. All in all I have 1686 MB of maps loaded with something like 1700 segments.

The only change in performance I have noticed with a 2G card is it takes an extra 30-40 seconds for the unit to go through its initial diagnostics on start up before it starts acquiring signals. Other than that the card works great.

I bought the $32 Transend card from Buy.com that another poster recommended. It works just fine. It does take several hours to transfer 1.6gb of data via the USB, but considering it used to take my ol' GPS V an hour to transfer 19MB, it is a huge step forward.

Enjoy!

I just bought a SanDisk 1 GB card from Amazon for $23.00. I had ordered a 2GB card for $28 from some company on Amazon's Marketplace and the six day after they processed the order they emailed me and said they were cancelling the order. I got my money back from the order but I was annoyed that they never gave a reason for cancelling it and they are still ltrying to sell the item on Amazon. I am also annoyed that instead of having a card in a three to four days - I am going on about two weeks waiting for the second card that I ordered. So be careful if you see a really great deal. Amazon itself does sell the 2Gb card but it was around $50 and I didn't want to spend that much.

I just bought a SanDisk 1 GB card from Amazon for $23.00. I had ordered a 2GB card for $28 from some company on Amazon's Marketplace and the six day after they processed the order they emailed me and said they were cancelling the order. I got my money back from the order but I was annoyed that they never gave a reason for cancelling it and they are still ltrying to sell the item on Amazon. I am also annoyed that instead of having a card in a three to four days - I am going on about two weeks waiting for the second card that I ordered. So be careful if you see a really great deal. Amazon itself does sell the 2Gb card but it was around $50 and I didn't want to spend that much.

eBay - $32 (total cost with shipping) for a SanDisk 2 GB micro SD card.

Microcenter was selling a generic 1GB SD card for $9.99. I saw the 2GB for $19.99 and I said what the heck? I loaded all of CSV7 North America and all of 24K National Parks east and I still had gobs of space left.

I did not notice any lack of performance on my c320 whatsoever.