I'm back! Now with a Garmin

MajBach

Guess who's back? It’s certainly been awhile. I joined Groundspeak back when there only 1200 or so members. Back then I owned (and still do) a Lowrance GM100. Still a great unit but cannot compare to the functionality in today’s units. Two days ago I purchased a 76 CSX. I so badly wanted a Lowrance H20 C but when I compared them objectively, I decided on the 76. Part of the reason was due to the software I already have for that unit which I would have had to purchase for Lowrance. Nevertheless, there am still I few features on the Lowrance I will miss with the Garmin and a few new features I need some help with.

One thing about Lowrance was the customizable pages. It has 10 pages that are fully customizable, unlike the Garmin, which has limitations on what you can do with each page. For example, I typically set up three pages I would switch back and forth on my

GM100: one with two maps but with different zoom levels and orientations (2 maps, split screen) and then two more pages similar with specific data for each page, comparable to the trip computer page on the Garmin. Garmin has only one trip computer page where as Lowrance has 10 – if you wanted them. No biggie I suppose, I can learn to live without them. What I will not be able to live without however is the ‘event’ markers available on Lowrance. These were basically waypoint without any info or names attached to them; although you could navigate to them. I typically used them when I was in my boat and passed near a rock lets say. I would just drop an icon of a skull at that spot. The same for boat launches or gas stations. I wasn’t aware Garmin lacked this functionality until I had already purchased the unit. I DO NOT want to use my existing event markers on my Lowrance as waypoints on my Garmin. As it is, I will run out of waypoints on the Garmin shortly. However, I have been reading a little on these on the custom POIs on the Garmin. Can this functionality be used in place of the events markers on my GM100? If so, how does it affect memory?

A few more questions if you do not mind.

Waypoints: are they stored on the unit or in the micro SD card? If I switch cards, can I switch to a new set of waypoints?

POIs: the same question as above but for POIs

How much memory does the 76 CSX have (internal). Just enough to fill all its waypoints, routes and track data?

Is there a way of determining how much memory is left internally AND how much is left on the SD card?

Finally, is there a way, when on the map screen, to turn of the coordinate readout of the cursor that pops up when I am using the cursor to scroll?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I learn to use this unit but that’s it for now.

THANKS A HEAP!

MajBach

Waypoints: are they stored on the unit or in the micro SD card? If I switch cards, can I switch to a new set of waypoints?

POIs: the same question as above but for POIs

How much memory does the 76 CSX have (internal). Just enough to fill all its waypoints, routes and track data?

Is there a way of determining how much memory is left internally AND how much is left on the SD card?

Finally, is there a way, when on the map screen, to turn of the coordinate readout of the cursor that pops up when I am using the cursor to scroll?

Almost all of these are answered in the FAQs pinned at the top of the group, specifically at http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/garmin/xseries/g76csx/

But the brief rehash is: internal, no, card, yes, yes, yes, and "I don't think so".