60CSx nav/topo map question

Had question about Garmin and software (nav vs topo maps). Use a built in car nav unit. Have a 60csx on order for foot/bike use. Should be able to just get by with the topo (cd) maps, right? Just wondering if i'm over looking something by not getting the nav software...

Had question about Garmin and software (nav vs topo maps). Use a built in car nav unit. Have a 60csx on order for foot/bike use. Should be able to just get by with the topo (cd) maps, right? Just wondering if i'm over looking something by not getting the nav software...

In the UK at least, The Topo maps provided by Garmin are routable. I don't know if the same is true in your region, but worth a check...

Edited by dthompson19

Garmin's US Topo maps (both 100K and 24K scale) are based on USGS maps, many of which were last updated in the 1970s. Most of the streets shown are not accurate and not labled. Also, only the 24K scale National park software will autoroute; the nationwide 100K scale maps lack this feature. So yes, you would be missing quite a bit by not getting the street software.

My recommendation is to find a copy of Metroguide version 4 on E-Bay cheap. It's only a few years out of date, it will autoroute (newer versions do not), and there are no lock codes to hinder installation.

Of course, the best (but most expensive) option is to get the latest version of CityNavigator.

He is asking if there is a NEED to buy street maps for the handheld when he already has street maps on the car unit. I say NO.... Street maps are mainly usefull for car navigation and the topo maps will be adeqaute on the handheld for the field navigation.