We Want Spring! We Want Spring! We Want Spring!

So, after a nice, pleasant teaser week in which most of the snow melted away, temperatures reached the jacket range, and caches were once again becoming more accessible, we in New England and the Northeast get socked with another 12 to 15" of snow with more expected tonight. ;)

*sigh*

Today's "PC and Pixel" hit a little close to home for me. Cabin Fever has officially set in. The additions are mine. :huh: My insane wife was happy to get more snow. "I Love SNOW!!!" she exclaimed. Grrrr. I love snow too .... IN NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER!!!! I'm ready for hiking weather to show up again.

407ff5bb-09a6-4554-82a0-d0ac59035c8f.jpg

I know .... I know .... :anicute:

WMC

I agree!

Last week I was talking a walk at lunch, enjoying the 60+ degree weather, and thinking of how fun the weekend cache trip I'm planning will be next month. Today I finished snowblowing 6" of the white stuff off my driveway, I'm sitting inside rather than doing anything outside, and I'm wondering whether the caches I'm hoping to hunt on the cache trip will be thawed out by then.

Winter is not my favorite season, and snow is not my favorite form of precipitation.

Out caching today in the bright sunshine and 20º temps...

Felt sorry for the Nor'easters in our sport...

It's thirty degrees warmer here today than 48 hours ago...

It's nearly forty degrees warmer in Fairbanks today than 48 hours ago...

Don't worry - Spring starts on Tuesday!

Really!!! Both of my calendars say so!

I feel just the opposite. Give me a couple feet of snow and I'm happy.

Yeah I used to love it too. Then I became a mailman. The freezing rain/ice storm yesterday then 3-4" of snow on top of it today turned 7 hours of street time into 10 1/2. I fell more than I ever have caching. Bring back the 50 degree days of last week.

Tornado season is starting down here. I don't mind caching in the storms, but as soon as you pop the ammo can open, all the goodies get sucked out and end up three counties over. And what ever you do, do not hold a treking pole straight up in the air, unless you wanna glow like a brand new light bulb. And I've never seen bigger rain drops than down here. It's like being assaulted with water balloons. And you better have an armored personnel carrier, when the hail starts. We've had recorded hail as big as grapefruits. They'll go right through the roof, take out the cat, and basically ruin your millenium. Frankly, I'm not sure what I'm doing down here in the first place. Oh wait! Yeah...I'm a stormtracker for Emergency Management. Snow....ya, I could handle some snow.

Picture248.jpg

X

Edited by X-isle

I thought I better post again and say that I really shouldn't joke about snow. I remember that couple in Oregon out on a family outting and got caught in a snow storm. The husband took off on foot to find help, and didn't make it. So I can see how snow can dampen plans. I was raised in upstate New York, so I'm no stranger to 15 foot drifts and buried parking lots. I'm just a little short with Mass because of their idiot politicians. But severe winter weather is nothing to sneeze at. And that much snow is not only inconvenient, but dangerous. And winters up there can be soooo long. Spring is always welcome in the north east.

I'm more than ready for spring!

I was a good sport regarding caching in the snow. We've actively cached most of the winter, trudging through knee deep snow to get to the caches. We even bushwacked through thigh deep snow. A quarter mile, thigh deep bushwack is more tiring than a 5 mile hike, uphill on dry ground anyday. Luckily for the dog, she was light enough to walk on top without falling through that time! Which brings me to the main reason I want it to melt now. The snow is turning to deep slush. I don't mind subjecting myself to it from time to time, but for a dog with 8 inch legs? :ph34r:

I want to wear shorts and sports sandals again! Heck, I'd settle for jeans and a sweatshirt! I want to walk without feeling like I'm walking in slippery sand. I want to be able to search for a cache without seeing telltale footprints. (Of course, come summer I'll be on a particularily difficult hide and I'll be lamenting the "good old days" of winter footprints! :( ) I want to feel gentle breezes on my skin... breezes that don't bite off noses and fingers. I want to smell the good earth... not feel my nose hair freeze and stiffen after inhaling a deep breath.

C'mon spring!!!

(Mosquitos, blackflies, and poison ivy, however, can stay dormant!)

:ph34r:

Yes, even Missouri has suffered inconsistant weather. I place 4 caches yesterday in near freezing temps with snow. Lucky for me there was not enough for foot prints to be left behind.

And I had my best day of caching evar! Snowing and a cold west wind, but the Marvin count was extremely low, and it seemed that folks just didn't want to be out in it. Of course I could (should) have watched a bunch of great basketball games, but instead I slogged around MO logging 21 successful caches. :ph34r:

I'm not a numbers guy usually, but my caching has been so thin this winter, that I had a serious need to hunt.

goto next closest cache, find, log, repeat...

I loved the late snowfall. The wife and I did a 5 mile snowshoe hike yesterday to place a cache. We tried on Sat but after about 30 minutes of "postholeing" through knee deep snow we abandoned it and came back the next day with snowshoes.

The only thing that bothers me about it, is that it means the opening of our soccer fields for practice gets pushed back a week or more. I'm itching to get the team outdoors.