very ANOYING BUG with late pqs!

baelrati

The delay can be due to excessive number of PQs requested, particularly as the weekend approaches. How many of the PQs you request each day due you really plan to use? We can all help reduce the demand by only ordering those PQs we will use. My regular scheduled PQ is only for those caches nearby that I haven't gotten, I order "as needed" for road trips. Just because we can order 5 per day, doesn't mean we have to.

I have a few pqs to cover the greater area and todays query should have covered the area for tomorrows caching tour.

A bug is a bug, the pq did run the wrong day instead of Friday it was Saturday when it ran.

PQs are proioritized by the last run date. A new PQ gets pushed to the top of the queue and ones run in the past 24 hours to the bottom. Also Keep in mind that the requested rund date is at the HQ office in Washington state.

No bug persay - just a busy server.

I can usually get a new PQ within a few minutes so I can go out caching on a whim.

I order very few PQ's. I usually have them in less than 5 minutes.

This is not a bug. It is a situation where the total demand is straining the available supply. I say Thank You to Groundspeak for giving the infrequent user higher priority. Unless Groundspeak is able to dedicate more resources to PQ generation you will have to adapt. I hope they are able to satisfy you soon.

Unless we know the last time when these PQ's ran, we cannot label the described behavior as "bug" or "feature." If the PQ had never been run before, was scheduled for Friday, and did not run until Saturday, that could be a bug. If the PQ had run five days earlier and was delayed in the queue, that's how the system works.

Also pointing out there is a 9hr difference in time between Seattle, WA and Luxembourg. The PQs are run on Seattle time/date.

Interesting observation Mopar. That would be 9 hours later. So a Luxembourg cacher requests five PQ's at 8AM Friday local time (11PM Thursday Seattle time). The requests had to be checked off as THURSDAY. The PQ's are delivered 18 hours later (2AM Saturday Luxembourg, 5pm Friday Seattle). Can the Luxembourg cacher request 5 more PQ's at Noon Saturday (3AM Saturday in Seattle)? If not, the OP has a point.

Hmm, I see my description was not very precise. The bug is not that the queries ran late, if I want fast delivery I create a new pq. The bug is that the queries from Friday used up a slots from Saturday. I noticed on Saturday that Fridays pqs did not yet run, but I did not imagine that they would block me a little later from executing my new query. The queries in question were not new ones, but I run them irregularly as I need them updated (and one was 'MyFinds').

Just because we can order 5 per day, doesn't mean we have to.

Unless Groundspeak is able to dedicate more resources to PQ generation you will have to adapt.

These are the things that just make me shake my head.

Do you find that level of service acceptable with every other entity you do business with?

The example I have used in the past is the newspaper. I have a subscription to it. I pay the money and they tell me they will give me a paper everyday. I don't read it everyday but that is my business. What I do with it when I get is up to me. But they still better deliver it. I would not be happy if they would not deliver my paper because one day they ran out of ink, or the presses were just not fast enough that day, or the person delivering it just ran out of time, or the writers just could not get it together enough to type out an article.

If you really find those kinds of things acceptable I have a huge list of goods and services I can be selling to you. All at amazing prices.

Some of the pqs I scheduled for yesterday only got executed today. So far not optimal, but not really a problem. But now my pqs for today are run! This just plain sucks.

If I need a PQ for a cache run on Saturday, I usually get it to run on Thursday and then I load the GPS on Friday. This allows time for the system to be slow and my data being only 48 hours old is rarely ever a problem.

Unless Groundspeak is able to dedicate more resources to PQ generation you will have to adapt.

Do you find that level of service acceptable with every other entity you do business with?

The example I have used in the past is the newspaper. I have a subscription to it. I pay the money and they tell me they will give me a paper everyday. I don't read it everyday but that is my business. What I do with it when I get is up to me. But they still better deliver it. I would not be happy if they would not deliver my paper because one day they ran out of ink, or the presses were just not fast enough that day, or the person delivering it just ran out of time, or the writers just could not get it together enough to type out an article.

If you really find those kinds of things acceptable I have a huge list of goods and services I can be selling to you. All at amazing prices.

Exactly what I was thinking. What Groundspeak doesn't say, but implies: "You pay a membership fee that allows you up to 5 pocket queries a day, but please run far fewer than that, our resources cannot handle the maximum PQ requests several days of the week".

Edited by Ed & Julie

I don't see where anyone from Groundspeak has posted anything to this thread which would support the conclusion in the last post. To the contrary, if one uses all the pocket query tips and tricks available, it's quite possible to get five PQ's delivered reliably, every day of the week. I just did that myself in preparation for a long roadtrip.

Exactly what I was thinking. What Groundspeak doesn't say, but implies: "You pay a membership fee that allows you up to 5 pocket queries a day, but please run far fewer than that, our resources cannot handle the maximum PQ requests several days of the week".

Rather than bicker back and forth, maybe looking at this a little more creatively can come up with a solution.

I am assuming that you are running the EXACT same PQ(s) daily. Not sure why, but to each his own. This will cause the PQ(s) to drop farther and farther down the list until you will be surprised when it shows up, not when it does not. That is just the method of resource managment that has been chosen here. Not good or bad, just their choice. Put 5 geeks together to solve a problem, none of us will be able to agree on something like this.

I run my PQ's every 7 days and have no issues on speed. I get them every morning around 4 or 5 AM PST. So, based on that possiby you can set up 5 (or 7) PQ's, asking for all the same information. That way the PQ will never run more than once every 7 days.

PQ #1 Unfound caches 50 mi from home - MON

PQ #2 Unfound caches 50 mi from home - TUE

PQ #3 Unfound caches 50 mi from home - WED

etc.

You get the idea. To date, I have not had a problem. Possibly, after some time passes you may have to recreate them to get them quicker, however I am betting it would be some time before that became noticeble.

Does this possibly help?