Do you remember your first Geocache?

One that's probably more for the old hands, but do you still remember the first geocache you ever found with fond affection, and is geocaching still as much fun for you today.

I do......I still remember the great thrill of finding my first geocache. "Sydney Geocache" way back in March of 2001.

It was quite a buzz then and, I'm happy to say, the sport is still just as much fun for me today.

Happy caching. :D

I'm only sneaking up on my 3 year anniversary with just over 200 finds. But if at 10 years I have somehow managed to get 1,000 finds, I could never forget #1. Certainly the rookie thrill has worn off a little. But who could ever get tired of visiting the hidden gems of nature that our fellow Geocachers have guided us to. I would be quite surprised if even the rare few who are approaching 20,000 would say much different. My first find is still active and still occasionally visited.

It was One Coul Site, a geocache hidden in a local coulee. We found a TB in the cache and it was very exciting. I remember it very well, I am sure my whole family does.

Local high find count cachers often have trouble remembering a whole day of caching. :D

The logs they write state that, when I see a log like "Don't remember any details but I am sure we had fun." it doesn't mean a cache wasn't good, to me it just means that they find a lot of caches! I have found over 500 caches and like to think I remember them all but it just isn't true, I do remember most of them.

I discovered the other day that the first cache I found is also the first cache where the first travel bug my boyfriend found went missing. Interesting coincidence considering that the cache is in Nebraska and my boyfriend was in Illinois.

Anyway, yes, I remember the cache quite fondly.

Only began caching last August, but didn't want to be observed making an arse of myself, or be the reason the cache was muggled (yes, I had been lurking in the forums while the GPSr was in the mail), I chose a secluded cemetary cache nearby called Tranquility.. Didn't know quite what I was looking for, found this one only by the odd shape in the shadows. Others I tried that day were DNF, but I was unaware at the time the hider of those is our local master of camo and innovation.

My first cache was a real treasure chest to me!

I couldn't find my first cache, after about 30 minutes of searching. I was frustrated.

I then went after a second one at a nearby Metro Park. I had NO IDEA of what to look for; I was looking around in the grass!

I was about to give up when I noticed this upright tree stump standing about 10 feet high. On one end was a pile of rocks that I completely ignored. On the other side was a hole in the bark, through which I noticed a spot of BLUE! Getting down on my hands and knees, I discovered there was a rubbermaid container in there! How to get it out? I look at the other side of the stump and removed the rock pile. Presto, I had the cache in hand. I grabbed the cache and sat under a lakeside tree to examine the contents.

This cache was in one of 13 Metroparks. The container was filled with park maps, some toys, a logbook, and a crossword puzzle! There were also coordinates to three micros in that park. Each micro had the answer to one line of the crossword puzzle. You had to visit ALL of the metroparks to complete the puzzle. What fun!

No subsequent cache gave me the same sense of accomplishment!

OH, and I broke my leg 4 weeks later searching for the final cache in that series. That was in July. My leg still hurts. It will be IMPOSSIBLE to forget the cache that led to this destiny.

Edited by michigansnorkeler

I can't remember what the name of my first find was, but it belonged to my bother-in-law and was in Massacre Rocks State park. I remember it for several reasons. First my GPS actually showed zero when I was at the cache. Something that has not happened since. Secondly because while at the cache I saw and got a picture of a hawk flying away from the site with a snake in its mouth. This was also from the days when there were actually nice trade items in the cache, something we don't see very much of these days.

:huh:

Yes with great fondness I remember my first cache, it was "Nambi Pambi" Monroe falls riverside cache GC78C5. It was a long hike to GZ, and I remember thinking will I be able to spot it. As I turned off the bike and hike path into the woods, my heart was racing. The closer I got I was amazed at the Unatural Pile of Sticks and there it was. I remember giving a laugh in happyness! It was so quiet and the river was very pretty there, also a train passes as I was there. Amazing feelings as I walked on to the next of 192 finds in the almost 4 years that I've been obsesed!!

Been taken to some cool places, wierd hides, unfound hides BUT never a dull moment.

And never a moment that I don't think about the thrill I had that first day (found three all very different).

Thanks to all who place so that I may find...

:anicute:

:huh: September 8, 2001 by GIDEON-X (343 found)

Hey, Found the Cache 09/08/2001 0650 Hours

This was sort of my first time out on a cache hunt, fairly new to the GPS thing ---- like you said if one was familar with the area it would be easy --- true, I lived at the Laguna dadgum RV place for a year and biked the area --- keep up the good work and hide some more. I took the simm key ring, and put in two small trim / utility knives. Stay Well, Enjoy, xmowers@att.net (Robert)

Didn't really remember (Had to look it up).........@ 71 it's hard to recall what I did last week........ :anicute:

Our first cache was less than a week ago, but I'm sure that we'll always remember it. It had all the makings of a "good" cache... it required a hike through some beautiful countryside in a park near our home that we hadn't even known existed prior to our search. It was an easy enough find that my 9 year old could be the one to discover it and it contained toys.

It was such a fun beginning that we have become extremely addicted to this activity!! :)

I'm coming up on my 5th anniversary here in a month. :D

My first caching experience was with a couple other families, and we went out for a whirlwind caching day to do all three of the caches in our area, whoo hoo! :) It was a fantastic day. My first one was, "Confluence Cache". My second was, "Valley View". I'm happy to say that I later adopted the second one. So, I guess I'd have to say that the first still active cache that I ever went to, I own now. :):D

I've only been caching since mid Jan. my first cache was a webcam cache. then 3 days later went for two caches Stumped

and PG Nature Found PG Nature but didn't find Stumped until the end of the month. since then 36 finds and one hide can't wait to look for more I have a few uncompleted caches that are buried under 4 feet of snow that I'll have to wait a month to try again but it's all fun.

Strangely enough, my first cache was a lampost micro in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I LOVED it! It was so much fun to be sneaky and stuff just to find it. I had never known those lamposts were made like that so it was a real feeling of accomplishment. I still kinda like that kind of hide, but it must be mostly nostalgia.

I remember it like it was yesterday, of course it was only about 10 months and 240 caches ago. My brother was up from Arkansas on vacation and saw my GPS and told me about Geocaching and asked if we could give it a try. I kinda blew it off and we never made an attempt but about a week after he left I started really researching it and found that there were three of them not far away. My first find was Screaming Red Tails which is still to this day one of the better camoed container I have ever seen and I have no idea how I found it. The rest of the story as they say "Is History".

Hayndog

December 13, 2004 - Western Scrub Jay (GCE396) One reason I specifically remember this cache is that the day was my 30th anniversary and I found it during lunch with a co-worker. I joke about going to lunch on my anniversary with a female that wasn't my wife.

The lady that introduced me to caching currently has a total of 45 finds and no hides. Me? I currently have 1617 finds and 42 hides. I'm not obsessed! I'm not! I'm not! I'm not!

My first was on June 30th 2001. I borrowed an old GPS from a friend that couldn't keep a lock in a wide open field with clear skies. I tore up an acre of woods looking for the cache.

I remember the feeling when I finally found it. It was like belonging to a secrect society. To find a container hidden in the woods that hundreds of people went by everyday unknowing that it was there, was a unique feeling.

Of course back then there were only 3 within 50 miles.

El Diablo

February 12, 2002. It was "Big Pyle of Cache." Fed Ex dropped the new eTrex Venture off at the front door and my daughter and I were out the side door in less than 2 minutes. I punched in the coordinates while I drove.

The cache turned out to be a big box filled with really cool stuff under an historic covered bridge in a small roadside park. I had high hopes of returning to it on my 1 year anniversary, but late in 2002 a trucker had a heart attack on that bridge and died. Shortly after that the cache turned up missing. I have a feeling the police found it during their investigation.

There's a micro there now.

Bret

Mine was a most cleverly placed cache, of a small tube (no bigger than a cigarette filter), in a deep crevace in a rock. I'll never forget the feeling I had when I finally spotted the little devil. I unrolled that scroll log and signed my handle. I was a proud man. I remember it like it was yesterday. Well, it was just over a month ago...Feb. 18th.

I fondly remember our first find. When we had done a search of caches in our area, we saw "Gambo Gunpowder Mill Gambit" We knew right where this was, as we live not far away and had walked the trails near it many times. We didn't even have a GPSr, but were able to find the cache from the description and just by knowing the structure.

We were hooked right away! El Diablo hit the nail on the head, with the description of feeling like belonging to a secret society. We had walked by that cache location several times before, only now we were in on the secret it hid! I just remember being in awe. We went on to find a couple more caches that morning, and then bought our GPSr that afternoon! :ph34r:

I remember, both the first one I found and the first one I (sort of) placed. Bitter cold winter day, and my husband (NotThePainter) and I chose to do one by the Charles River -- yikes! But the thrill of finding it (especially as we were about to give up) was terrific, and I get that same frisson now when I first catch sight of a hidden cache.

I was consulting for Rational Software (now part of IBM) in Lexington (Mass.) and found the lovely little spot that became NotThePainter's "Bridge Over the River Something" cache. There was a thrill in that, too: finding a wonderful place and then sharing it with the geocaching world. It's one of the most magical parts of geocaching, to me: being able to experience a place that someone else thought was beautiful, or important, or touching in some way.

Jeannette

"Open Your Heart with Geocaching"

www.JeannetteCezanne.com

I picked the first one we went after because of the personal significance of the site. It was on the grounds of the church where my husband and I got married.

Once upon a time an old antibellum mansion stood there. It was various things over the years, a hospital, a sanitorium, an orphanage, the youth annex to that church until it burned to the ground one night several years ago. The cache is hidden in what used to be the front yard, now overgrown, and as well as I knew the area, it still took me two tries to find it. We hadn't thought about the whole "swag" thing, being VERY green to the sport, but we were in need of a compass (the one on my GPSr was annoying to use) and there was one in the container, so my husband scavenged his van and found a nice mini-light to trade and we took the compass which we still use on our caching adventures often as not.

The first time I searched for it the family went alone. The second time, when we found it, my sunday school class went with us and you've never seen a bunch of teenagers get hooked on a sport so quickly. Nowdays we typically bring caching clothes and a list of caches to church with us at least once a month and go out after sunday school class until time for youth group. We've just returned from a mission trip in MS where in addition to doing our missions projects we 1)turned on another family that hadn't even heard of geocaching and got to witness their first find and 2)placed our first cache (which is waiting for approval as I'm typing this). I'm trying to figure out if there's a rule against having a membership as a team as well as the three of us who have individual memberships. Anyone know?

We found ours way back in June, 06, less than a mile from home. It turned out to be a lamp post micro, but it was about 20 feet up the post! It took us two trips before my wife looked up the post and suggested that I get up there and get it. We've been hooked ever since!

One that's probably more for the old hands, but do you still remember the first geocache you ever found with fond affection, and is geocaching still as much fun for you today.

I do......I still remember the great thrill of finding my first geocache. "Sydney Geocache" way back in March of 2001.

It was quite a buzz then and, I'm happy to say, the sport is still just as much fun for me today.

Happy caching. :o

I remember my first cache, like the rest I didnt want to make an idiot out of myself. and didnt really know what to expect. But I havent looked back since. Geocaching has taken my wife and myself to places we would have missed otherwise, even those on our own doorstep.

I have logged the name and date of my first ever find on my profile.

Yes - remember it well, I now have the pleasure and distinct honor of maintaining it myself as the owner faded away after a year or so. It was the only cache with 70 miles of here back then. Good thing it was around or I might not have got started with caching when i did. Olive Tree Cache.

After a year of this, it's way beyond fun and responsible for getting us to a lot of new places. First cache - a micro by my house in the "Joe Spaz" series in Fremont. I think I walked into the tree that held the micro while fiddling with the GPS. :o

Second one was Tired of the Fremont Drive-by Micro's? That pretty much says it all. Hiking up, scrambling around and crawling up a slope to a cache - now that's FUN!

My first find was the Quana Parker Cache on March 22, 2002 - almost 5 years ago. I learned about geocaching from a news story that featured Web-ling, who then lived in the Dallas area. I decided I should probably find one of his caches first so I drove about 20 miles to Fort Worth and hunted for 20 minutes. The cache is still active and has been on my watch list almost since day one.

If you haven't found many, its not hard to remember the first one. It was pretty throughly muggled (didn't know what that meant then), so I didn't know if I had found it, or what I had found, or what I should have done. But I found a log and some tupperware and some stuff all over the ground.

SO I logged it as a find. Don't tell Criminal. :D:o

Its since been archived. I'm trying to contact the owner to adopt it.

If you haven't found many, its not hard to remember the first one. It was pretty throughly muggled (didn't know what that meant then), so I didn't know if I had found it, or what I had found, or what I should have done. But I found a log and some tupperware and some stuff all over the ground.

SO I logged it as a find. Don't tell Criminal. :D:D

Its since been archived. I'm trying to contact the owner to adopt it.

That's a find! :D

We are just coming up on our 1st Anniversary of geocaching, April 9th, and we hope to hit 200 by then, we are at 179 right now.

We will never forget our first cache find, it was hidden by a local legend, thank you Lava, and ever since then anytime we do a Lava cache it is a challenge. We actually went out to find our first on April 2nd, but no luck, another lengend in our area was kind enough to give us a hint, hey when caching with kids you gotta find something or they get bored quickly, since that first find we were hooked and our kids enjoyed it enough not to grumble when Mom and Dad's answer to "What are we doing today?" is usually "Geocaching", they grab their hydration packs and hiking poles and off we go.

We have yet to hide a cache, I blame that on Lava, because his cache was so devious, he has my husband determined to hide one that Lava won't be able to find, well almost a year later and he still hasn't come up with one.

We were just talking about this today on the way to hide a cache! I asked my two boys what their favorite find was and they both agreed it was the first one we found. We all agreed that it was nothing particulary spectacular, a peanut jar barely hidden under 2 or three sticks, but it was our initiation into geocaching and I am really glad that person hid it! I keep waiting for one of our caches to be someone's first find but it has yet to happen...

Someone just found one of mine today as their first find. I wish it had been a different one from the waterproof match container hanging from a fence in a nice neighborhood park, but who knows. Maybe there was just enough excitement and intrigue that they will be hooked . . . :anitongue:

Yes, I do!! And I am one of the original geocachers!! It was when I was married and we were looking for info on our old Magellan and came across geocaching website in early Feb 2001. The first one we did was: Old Tyme in Felton, Ca. I think this is a goner now though. And now I enjoy geocaching, do it on occasion now, You can get burned out from it.