I need help

Rebaran

By numbers do you mean the coordinates? Are you trying to transfer cache information from the website? What make and model GPS are you using? We'll need a bit more specific information before we can help.

Yes I am trying to download the coordinates. I have a Garman Etrex legend. I have never downloaded before or went geo caching by myself. I have always went with my son, but he lives in another state. I would appreciate and information you could give me. Thank you

I used to have a Garmin Legend and its very easy to manually punch in the coordinates. Have you figured out how to do that? Or is it just the downloading off the cache page that you need help with? Have you downloaded any software off the internet to do this yet? EasyGPS is probably the software you should use.. its just like it says... its very easy once you get the GPS synced with your computer.

I suspect you want to manually enter coordinates. To do that you need to push the that says MARK, at least that is the button on my 60cx. This will enter your current coordinates. You can then edit these existing coordinates and enter the cache name etc. The only problem with this method is that sometimes I have been known to fat finger my entry. Sure makes it harder to find the caches when you are 60 or 600' off.

:D

OK, here we go. This is how to enter coordinates by hand into a Garmin Legend (Old Blue).

Turn the unit on, and push the upper right-hand button until the screen shows a menu item called Mark. Use your thumbstick (joystick) to move to that item, and then push the thumbstick straight down to select.

You'll see a screen with a little guy with a flag in the upper field. Use the thumbstick to select the second field down called Location. You should see a set of coordinates there, starting with "N". The "N" is already selected, but you shouldn't have to change it. You'll see a little calculator-like keyboard with numbers and arrows on it. The right-hand arrow at the bottom should be darkened. When you push your thumbstick straight down, you'll notice that the first number to the right of the "N" is now selected. If the coordinates of the cache you're trying to enter start with that number, push the thumbstick straight down again and again until the first number you need to change is highlighted.

To change the number you've highlighted, use the thumbstick to navigate up/down/left/right on the little calculator-like keyboard. Let's say the first number you need to change is a three to a four. With the number you want to change (3) highlighted, navigate on the keyboard to the digit you want (4), and then push the thumbstick straight down again. The three should have changed to a four. Just keep repeating this process until all your numbers match the new ones.

Here's something to keep in mind: you must use the little arrows (triangles) at the bottom of the keyboard to move the selection cursor in the Location field. If you don't navigate back down to the arrows with the thumbstick each time you want to change a number, you'll keep changing the same number over and over, which isn't all that useful.

Once you've changed all the numbers you need to change, navigate down to the bottom of the keyboard and press "OK". You've just entered a new set of coordinates! Don't worry about the Elevation, Distance, and Bearing fields at this point; they'll take care of themselves.

Now, you'll probably want to name this set of coordinates using the name or GC number of the cache you're going to look for. Use your thumbstick again to navigate up until the 001 or 002 or whatever is in the name field is highlighted, and push the thumbstick straight down again. Up pops another little keyboard. Use the thumbstick to navigate to and select each letter you want to use to name your set of coordinates. Remember that you onlly have ten spaces, so you may have to abbreviate. Once you're finished, navigate over to the OK key and push your thumbstick straight down again.

All you have to do now is hit OK at the bottom of the screen and your new set of coordinates will be entered into your unit's memory. When you're ready to go caching, hit the Find button, choose Waypoints (Caches are special waypoints), choose either Nearest or By Name - whichever you like - and your whole list of coordinates will pop up. Choose the one you want to find, and hit "Goto" at the bottom left corner of your screen. You should be in business.

I hope this wasn't too confusing. Obviously,using a software program such as EasyGPS and a data transfer cable is much faster and easier, but it's still good to know how to do this. Have fun!

OK, here we go. This is how to enter coordinates by hand into a Garmin Legend (Old Blue).

Turn the unit on, and push the upper right-hand button until the screen shows a menu item called Mark. Use your thumbstick (joystick) to move to that item, and then push the thumbstick straight down to select.

You'll see a screen with a little guy with a flag in the upper field. Use the thumbstick to select the second field down called Location. You should see a set of coordinates there, starting with "N". The "N" is already selected, but you shouldn't have to change it. You'll see a little calculator-like keyboard with numbers and arrows on it. The right-hand arrow at the bottom should be darkened. When you push your thumbstick straight down, you'll notice that the first number to the right of the "N" is now selected. If the coordinates of the cache you're trying to enter start with that number, push the thumbstick straight down again and again until the first number you need to change is highlighted.

To change the number you've highlighted, use the thumbstick to navigate up/down/left/right on the little calculator-like keyboard. Let's say the first number you need to change is a three to a four. With the number you want to change (3) highlighted, navigate on the keyboard to the digit you want (4), and then push the thumbstick straight down again. The three should have changed to a four. Just keep repeating this process until all your numbers match the new ones.

Here's something to keep in mind: you must use the little arrows (triangles) at the bottom of the keyboard to move the selection cursor in the Location field. If you don't navigate back down to the arrows with the thumbstick each time you want to change a number, you'll keep changing the same number over and over, which isn't all that useful.

Once you've changed all the numbers you need to change, navigate down to the bottom of the keyboard and press "OK". You've just entered a new set of coordinates! Don't worry about the Elevation, Distance, and Bearing fields at this point; they'll take care of themselves.

Now, you'll probably want to name this set of coordinates using the name or GC number of the cache you're going to look for. Use your thumbstick again to navigate up until the 001 or 002 or whatever is in the name field is highlighted, and push the thumbstick straight down again. Up pops another little keyboard. Use the thumbstick to navigate to and select each letter you want to use to name your set of coordinates. Remember that you onlly have ten spaces, so you may have to abbreviate. Once you're finished, navigate over to the OK key and push your thumbstick straight down again.

All you have to do now is hit OK at the bottom of the screen and your new set of coordinates will be entered into your unit's memory. When you're ready to go caching, hit the Find button, choose Waypoints (Caches are special waypoints), choose either Nearest or By Name - whichever you like - and your whole list of coordinates will pop up. Choose the one you want to find, and hit "Goto" at the bottom left corner of your screen. You should be in business.

I hope this wasn't too confusing. Obviously,using a software program such as EasyGPS and a data transfer cable is much faster and easier, but it's still good to know how to do this. Have fun!