Need quick info on a backup unit to buy

I'm headed to Cabela's here in just a little bit to pick up a Lowrance iFinder Hunt. I've had this unit before and swapped it out for a Garmin 76 Cx and now I'm ready to go back!

I'd like to pick up a back-up unit for the iFinder and would like to know what to get. I'm not familiar with the entire Lowrance line, but would kind of like something where I can use the MapCreate maps that come with the iFinder. I could go with like a Garmin Legend or something, but I would prefer to have only one software.

Can anyone give me some quick info on a good back-up unit to buy?

Oh yeah...I'm getting the iFinder Hunt Plus at a steal! Cabela's says they will match prices. I used Froogle and found a Plus for $275 and their retail is $349.99. I'm excited about that!!!!

I've owned the Lowrance before and sold it to go to the 76 Cx. Now that I have the 76 I'm ready to go back! I realized I don't need the color and for what I use it for, I like the Lowrance much better. The antenna always worked better for me and I like the electronic compass on the Hunt. Not to mention it comes with the power cable and the topo software. I already have $400 in the 76 and would need to spend another $100+ for software.

I have tried both units so its not like I'm talking out of my rear orifice here. The only downfall to the Hunt is that you have to remove the back, batteries and SD card to load waypoints or maps onto the card. I decided I can live with that aspect for the benefits that the unit provides.

I'm headed to Cabela's here in just a little bit to pick up a Lowrance iFinder Hunt. I've had this unit before and swapped it out for a Garmin 76 Cx and now I'm ready to go back!

I'd like to pick up a back-up unit for the iFinder and would like to know what to get. I'm not familiar with the entire Lowrance line, but would kind of like something where I can use the MapCreate maps that come with the iFinder. I could go with like a Garmin Legend or something, but I would prefer to have only one software.

Can anyone give me some quick info on a good back-up unit to buy?

Oh yeah...I'm getting the iFinder Hunt Plus at a steal! Cabela's says they will match prices. I used Froogle and found a Plus for $275 and their retail is $349.99. I'm excited about that!!!!

I currently have five Lowrances, one hunt, one H2O, one go, and two talking Judys (iWay 100m).

For me it would be a no brainer. spend the time on ebay to get a 100m, and get full voice autorouting, full compatibility to the Hunt and the same antenna and capability for caching for maybe a lot less money. I paid $114 for the last talking Judy which of course comes with full maps for the whole country.

which of course comes with full maps for the whole country.

And will also run the 6.3 topo software in addition to the turn-by-turn software if I'm not mistaken.

The 100M seems like a pretty good recommendation to me. You might also consider an H20 that can be had for less than $150 (b/w screen, no electronic compass). If you want to go cheaper, you could probably pick up an iFinder Pro for a steal. It is comparable to the other Lowrances, but is not waterproofed to IPX7 like the Hunt.

Speaking of the topo, do you know that Lowrance has just released MapCreate 7.0 topo? It's too early for me to have ascertained all of the updates, but I do know that it has added topo details for Alaska and has enhanced lake depth and other details for the USA. I'd be surprised if it hit the Plus packages yet though.

Welcome Back!

I've owned the Lowrance before and sold it to go to the 76 Cx. Now that I have the 76 I'm ready to go back! I realized I don't need the color and for what I use it for, I like the Lowrance much better. The antenna always worked better for me and I like the electronic compass on the Hunt. Not to mention it comes with the power cable and the topo software. I already have $400 in the 76 and would need to spend another $100+ for software.

I have tried both units so its not like I'm talking out of my rear orifice here. The only downfall to the Hunt is that you have to remove the back, batteries and SD card to load waypoints or maps onto the card. I decided I can live with that aspect for the benefits that the unit provides.

LOL...I can live with that... :D

However, it's too bad you're going for a Buick of GPSr's with a Lowrance when you can get the Ferrari of GPSr's... :)

MAP60CSX.jpg

Edited by Arthur & Trillian