Server sure has been doing better

mudsneaker

WAITING FOR GEOCACHING.COM for past 15 minutes. Here we go again!

Access has been kind of bad for me all week. Must be the new surge of christmas and post-christmas cachers taking hold. I know personally, I've met three cachers in the last week that were brand new to the game with less than 10 finds.

Things have gotten so bad in the last few months that I am now pleasantly surprised when the site works as it should, or close to it. Today some features worked fine while others worked very slowly or timed out in my browser.

It's gotten to the point that at least one frustrated developer has invested the time to code a solution that queus up your logs, so that you don't have to win the server lottery to get your logs done. :) We also have at least one dedicated, big-number cacher in our area that has declined to renew his premium membership given the problems.

On the other hand, I was pleased to see what seemed like an honest an informative update from Jeremy about a month ago, which helped me to decide to renew my own premium membership. I just hope the situation starts showing some real improvement before too much longer.

Edited by Nazgul

I can't get in now. Most of the time it works ok, but not for about the last hour. I have a new cache event I want to get listed. Oh well, with all the users this has, some delays are to be expected. I can wait, I really appreciate the work that is done to keep this site working and consider it a bargain at the low cost of premium membership.

We also have at least one dedicated, big-number cacher in our area that has declined to renew his premium membership given the problems.

Go place a members only cache within 1/2 mile of his home and lets see how quickly he becomes a premium member once again LMAO.

I expect the site to run slow on saturday and sunday....I plan for it. There are tons of us trying to log our caches at once. It doesn't bother me anymore. I've been reconditioned so to speak :)

I am getting VERY tired of this problem. I am a premium member and I expect my dues to go toward adding new servers or whatever is neccessary to fix this problem, and I think that we should all demand the same! I don't care if it is Saturday or Sunday... if the demand is too great, upgrade to what it takes!!

As usual, I'm not having that many problems. I think that in the past month, it's timed out on me maybe twice, and when I refreshed, it was fine.

And of course, Groundspeak is working hard to take care of the problem. It's too bad that it can't be fixed as quickly as we'd like, but it will happen as soon as they can finish it. :)

I am getting VERY tired of this problem. I am a premium member and I expect my dues to go toward adding new servers or whatever is neccessary to fix this problem, and I think that we should all demand the same! I don't care if it is Saturday or Sunday... if the demand is too great, upgrade to what it takes!!

Here is an Idea...if a Premium Member tries to log in...and the "Server Is Busy", then a Non-Premium member should be dropped off-line to make room for the Premium Member...that could be another Premium Member Benifit.

Edited by GURU4HIRE

VERY FRUSTRATING!

My phone just beeped with a text message of two new caches...BUT I CAN'T GET IN!!!!!!

How can we FTF hounds get to find anything when the site is always down.

Yes, this is VERY FRUSTRATING!

I'm ready to upgrade my premium membership to a platinum or titanium so I can use the secret Geocaching.com portal. :o

really interesting to see these replies. Its been doing fine for me and I'm on all the time. The evenings slow down of course, but in the big picture its still way better than last month.

Just logged in to check and took a extra few seconds I guess to load up, but still in and looking around. /ponder.

But I see the map STILL isnt refreshed. maybe someday the premium features I pay for will actually work huh? :o

(aside from PQs and premium only caches)

VERY FRUSTRATING!

My phone just beeped with a text message of two new caches...BUT I CAN'T GET IN!!!!!!

I'm ready to upgrade my premium membership to a platinum or titanium so I can use the secret Geocaching.com portal. <_<

Hey, I finally got on and got the cache coordinates. Less than a mile away! :rolleyes:

FTF!!!! :D

Now, I can't get in to log it! :o

Edited by michigansnorkeler

I've walked away in disgust from my PC three times in the last three days. How can anyone say the server problems are getting better?! Only seems to be getting worse for me. Maybe GC.com can move the premium members to a server all our own. I don't usually put up with this type of service for something I've paid for. Good thing I love to cache. And good for GC.com that I renewed a few weeks ago. Next time, I'm not going to pay for this when I don't have to. It's just starting to be good spring caching weather here in the PNW. They better do something fast!

Well, this thread's name is deceiving, but mntn-man locked my other thread just notifying the PTB that their servers are down and suggested I post here (to bump a thread with a name which makes the servers appear misleadingly healthy), so here's a repost:

Just FYI to the PTB:

"Server Error in '/' Application.

Server Too Busy

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server Too Busy

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Server Too Busy]

System.Web.HttpRuntime.RejectRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +146

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300 "

Well, this thread's name is deceiving, but mntn-man locked my other thread just notifying the PTB that their servers are down and suggested I post here (to bump a thread with a name which makes the servers appear misleadingly healthy), so here's a repost:

Just FYI to the PTB:

"Server Error in '/' Application.

Server Too Busy

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server Too Busy

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Server Too Busy]

System.Web.HttpRuntime.RejectRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +146

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300 "

yeah, its been really slow for hours, and for the past half an hour or so, it's been totally unusable due to this.

Here is an Idea...if a Premium Member tries to log in...and the "Server Is Busy", then a Non-Premium member should be dropped off-line to make room for the Premium Member...that could be another Premium Member Benifit.

Elitist attitudes disgust me.... and seeing that kind of attitude grow here is even worse. This isn't an exclusivity club where someone can be kicked out for not being a paying customer. If you truly want that, go to that aother service where you have to be sponsored in.

Elitist attitudes disgust me.... and seeing that kind of attitude grow here is even worse. This isn't an exclusivity club where someone can be kicked out for not being a paying customer. If you truly want that, go to that aother service where you have to be sponsored in.

Oh, I had thought they were joking. :laughing:

Mebbe needed a few of these: :anibad:B)B)B):lol::anibad:

***Elitist attitudes disgust me.... and seeing that kind of attitude grow here is even worse. This isn't an exclusivity club where someone can be kicked out for not being a paying customer. If you truly want that, go to that aother service where you have to be sponsored in.***

Wow...what a sad person you must be. Better take your meds to calm down...Hahahahahahaa

Edited by GURU4HIRE

***Elitist attitudes disgust me.... and seeing that kind of attitude grow here is even worse. This isn't an exclusivity club where someone can be kicked out for not being a paying customer. If you truly want that, go to that aother service where you have to be sponsored in.***

Wow...what a sad person you must be. Better take your meds to calm down...Hahahahahahaa

Nope, it's a sad person that suggests kicking someone off the server to allow a premium member have priorithy. Like I said, take that to the other service if you want to be that elitist. If you were kidding in your original statement... you forgot your smilies.

Edited by TotemLake

VERY FRUSTRATING!

I'm ready to upgrade my premium membership to a platinum or titanium so I can use the secret Geocaching.com portal. :sad:

Hey, I finally got on and got the cache coordinates. Less than a mile away! :(

FTF!!!! :ph34r:

Now, I can't get in to log it! :sad:

http://wap.geocaching.com It's not pretty but it works to log them.

I'm not laughing one bit.

Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

This morning at 0612 EDT the main site seems fine. Last night I was glad I didn't have a bunch of caches to log because catatonics are faster than the site was. 3-5 min to load a page if it did so at all. Not likely the ISP because everything else on the web was running just great. Of course the day here was just beautiful. If this was the case nationwide I'm sure 40 zillion folks were trying to log caches.

You'll know for sure if you do a trace route to track your connection progress. Instructions on how to use this at the DOS command box can be located here. You might be surprised how many hops it takes to get to your target. There can be a server in between you and your target that is not responding correctly and losing packets requiring multiple broadcasts of the same info.

Edited by TotemLake

** BUMP **

All right, I'd step forward.

Not such a good day concerning performance for Groundspeak.

I tried several times (well, dozens of times :ph34r::sad: ) since 11:00 MEST (now its 18:56 MEST), and NO connection at all to Groundspeak. Has it been such beautiful Sunday, that it clogs the whole Monday with logs? And no information at all from Jeremy, if there's something under construction, or just a normal maint-downtime :(:sad: .

Edited by bevema

Actually the thread was not named wrong, its the posters who are complaining that have switched it to a negative thread. When I posted this, things had/have been working pretty good overall for me compared to earlier this year when nothing was working. I timed out last night for the first time in a long time. And the speed was so slow a slug would have laughed and burned rubber in GC's face.

But that wasn't a surprise to me one bit, it was Sunday evening and thats typical. So I walked away from the computer and watched 2 movies knowing it would be easier to log today.

I still say that its doing better. I am NOT saying it runs perfectly or is fixed. Its just doing better than what it was a couple months ago.

And as far as I know, they STILL haven't updated the GC map and that torks me off in a big way, but thats for another thread.

edit to add : I have no idea why the Mntman would link to this thread for complaints. I guess its assumed that anyone discussing the server speed must be complaining. read the original post, its not negative.

Edited by mudsneaker

But that wasn't a surprise to me one bit, it was Sunday evening and thats typical. So I walked away from the computer and watched 2 movies knowing it would be easier to log today.

I still say that its doing better. I am NOT saying it runs perfectly or is fixed. Its just doing better than what it was a couple months ago.

And as far as I know, they STILL haven't updated the GC map and that torks me off in a big way, but thats for another thread.

edit to add : I have no idea why the Mntman would link to this thread for complaints. I guess its assumed that anyone discussing the server speed must be complaining. read the original post, its not negative.

So at least US-cachers are able to get through to gc.com?

Cause from Old Europe its just NIL , either a time-out or the well-known server-too-busy message.

Yep, I also followed the sign "complain-here" :sad::(

I wanted people to know that not all of us feel that it is a thing to be negative about. I like your topic because you are trying to be positive. The topic I closed was opened by someone well aware of the issues, who has been commenting on it during this time in a negative manner and simply opened a new topic to slam the site further when existing topics on the server issues were already open and not that old.

I will agree with you 100 percent in this statement:

I'll try and stay on the positive side even though I've had to retype 3 logs today after the server timed out.

Thank you Jeremy for giving us an update on what is being done to address the issues. Updates are always a good thing.

For all those of you who wonder if it's your computer or GC.com that has an issue try this- open another window and try accessing ibm.com. If ibm.com hangs, it's your computer!

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

It's a twilight zone here. I can get on GC on my Notebook, and the kid's computer, but not onmy computer??

How is this possible?

The little tab is showing "Loading" for the last two hours.

Stop the process and Refresh it.

Or go back a page and redo the process. Refreshing doesn't work for me. :)