Finds vs. Posts

Most of the time people like to say "if you have more posts than finds..." then they finish with some disparaging comment.

But the other day it occurred to me that the top cachers actually have more finds than the top posters. That's amazing. I can whip out a post in less time than it takes to find a lamp post micro. Even if the top finders did nothing but lamp post micro's it's an impressive feat. Most of them find everything making it that much harder to stay ahead of the posts. B)

Damned Impressive.

"if you have more posts than finds..." then they finish with some sparaging comment."

I agree with you, it is "damned impressive". You actually have to live your life to cache to get that many Finds so the top Finders usually have no posts, or maybe a dozen. Top finders often have to be coached through their first few posts and most of them never get really good at writing posts because they don't have time, they are too busy caching.

That standard you cited is just more upchuck from the "Ministry of Silly Standards", that is my opinion anyway. If you can help another geocacher by posting and you have fun posting then worrying about some silly standard is just well....silly.

People who make the disparaging remarks are just incrementing their post counts anyway, everyone knows about that cheap trick.

The only reason to make such a remark would be to increment their post count.

The simplest solution is to sneer back and tell them that what they just said isn't a real post, works every time.

The only reason to make such a remark would be to increment their post count.

The simplest solution is to sneer back and tell them that what they just said isn't a real post, works every time.

What's impressive is that you could probably find a way to "Find" this thread twice. The thing is, forums posts are a true reflection of how many threads a person has "Posted" to. Sometime you may disagree with a post, but at least it reflects the counts fairly and accurately.

I'm sure if there were a way to artificially increase forum posts, some people would do it (and claim that it's how they play the forum game). As far as I know, there isn't a way.

[Thread Posts + 1, my work here is done]

***EDIT***

I just edited my post and changed some very critical issues in the original post. I think it changed enough that my edit should count as an additional forum post.

Edited by ReadyOrNot

I can understand numbers when it comes to cache finds, but it really doesn't make much since to post in the forums to boost your post count. The reason someone should post on the forums is to help others and make a contrubution to the topic at hand. If we post just to increase our post numbers, then our contrubutions are going to become useless and a lot less thought out. I will say though, the top posters as of right now all do a great job to contributing factual information so my stand on posting to increase your numbers might be a bunch of hogwash.

Most of the time people like to say "if you have more posts than finds..." then they finish with some disparaging comment.

But the other day it occurred to me that the top cachers actually have more finds than the top posters. That's amazing. I can whip out a post in less time than it takes to find a lamp post micro. Even if the top finders did nothing but lamp post micro's it's an impressive feat. Most of them find everything making it that much harder to stay ahead of the posts. :)

Damned Impressive.

Okay, now I'll quote it and leave it there.

You are right. I am amazed that cachers can rack up these kinds of numbers. The numbers boggle my mind.

So should we start the Did Not Post = Posted It debate? :)

Sure, if you say it in the Off topic forum it really doesn't count as being said. Most geocachers who mistakenly wander into the forums enter as Guests and never even see an avatar or a sig line let alone a post in the Off Topic Forum, which really isn't a post because...

Give me a second...I need to look in the Ministry of Silly Standards handbook. I will return and tell you why it really isn't a post as soon as I find/make-up the correct Silly Standard that I will apply to your posts (which by the way I don't consider to be posts). Please don't make any more "NOT REALLY A POST" posts until I return and tell you what the Minister of Silliness has decided will apply.

Eh, too many of the "top finders" have faked finds anyway, so it isn't like their numbers matter any more than someone's post count.

We could always start counting total log verbage and forum signature line length as signs of the true believers. :wub:

I guess I better post something here. I need the count, as I don't want to lose my true believer status. :):wub:

Eh, too many of the "top finders" have faked finds anyway, so it isn't like their numbers matter any more than someone's post count.

This comes up almost every time we talk about the top finders. Without naming names, even if "B" cacher has a "questionable find" rate of 25% I'm still impressed by the overall number.

Note: I don't believe that cacher "B" has a 25% questionable find rate. In fact I'd be surprised if was more than a very small portion of their find total.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

Ditto what T Crew just posted. I'd bet that a very small percentage of the total finds of the top ten finders are fakes or bogus or questionable. But that isn't what the OP wanted to discuss.

I've got a few thousand of both posts and finds, and I'll never make either top ten list, but I'm still pretty active on both sides. I prefer to keep my find count higher than my post count because that's just How I Like to Play! :)

Now what was the question?

This comes up almost every time we talk about the top finders. Without naming names, even if "B" cacher has a "questionable find" rate of 25% I'm still impressed by the overall number.

Note: I don't believe that cacher "B" has a 25% questionable find rate. In fact I'd be surprised if was more than a very small portion of their find total.

When you think about it even if B finder has a 100% questionable find rate, that's a lot of posts. :)

I came to the forums looking for a certain topic. I looked and looked for well over 30 minutes and I couldn't find it. I'm pretty sure I found the area it should have been, but it seems to have disappeared. Considering the amount of time and energy I spent, I'm going to go ahead and post to this thread. Next time I'm in the neighborhood, I'll look for the thread again though. TFTH! TN L-Sanity

I can say with certainty that every one of my posts are verifiable and were actually posted.

By the way, I think Uperdooper is the actual post leader if OT posts are counted. I gladly hand the post leader crown to her.

I can say with certainty that every one of my posts are verifiable and were actually posted.

Yeah, but how many of those were lame, micro posts? :D

On a semi-related topic, I cracked the top ten list for posts today. Woo-hoo!

I'm just glad I don't have to lift up a lamp post cover in order to post. That would take even less effort than posting! :D

Ok... everyone needs to stop posting and caching until I have had a chance to verify the authenticity of the leaders posts/caches.

At my current rate of posting/caching it shouldn't take too long:

caches: ~407 years

So everyone stop posting/caching right now, so I can officially verify the accuracy of these counts!!!

:D

I've heard that briansnat cheated to become top poster. Some of his posts were not legitimate. Sometimes he posts many times in the same thread or posts again after a thread has been moved. I've also heard that he is not one person, but a team of cachers all posting under the same name. :D

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

I've heard that briansnat cheated to become top poster. Some of his posts were not legitimate. Sometimes he posts many times in the same thread or posts again after a thread has been moved. I've also heard that he is not one person, but a team of cachers all posting under the same name. B)

He even became a mod just so he could post to archived threads.