yet another pda problem...

I use Memory Map on my pda to go paperless caching. From GSAK I export Mem Map and HTML files; when I want to see the details of a particular cache I simply touch the screen and up pops the log - no problem there then.

I also have my pda connected (via bluetooth) to a gps, often whilst out caching this connection crashes so I have to perform a soft reset on the pda, a bit of a pain but as all the info is still on the pda it's not the end of the world.

However, over the past two days I have found that whenever I perform a soft reset and go back into Mem Map all my icons have disapeared and I have to connect the pda back to my computer to re-download, obviously this isn't exactly possible in the middle of nowhere.

I now find myself facing the prospect of buying a couple of reams of paper to get out and about again.

Any ideas on what may be wrong and how I could fix it? I don't really want to perform a hard reset and go through all of my initial problems trying to set various programmes up again that I had when I first got the machine, but if that's what it takes...

Any help (and it has to be in very easy, baby steps) would be much appreciated.

Ta

Sorry, not got PDA to hand, but had a simliar problem once.

MM stores waypoint and suchlike in a file called userdata.mmo (OR SIMILAR!). If auto generates a backup file with a similar name userdata.bak (maybe...).

Now then, I think my backup file was corrupt and it kept restoring it after a soft reset.

I solved it by soft reseting, to make 100% sure MM wasn't running, then deleting BOTH these files and sending waypoints from the PC again.

YMMV

Sorry, not got PDA to hand, but had a simliar problem once.

MM stores waypoint and suchlike in a file called userdata.mmo (OR SIMILAR!). If auto generates a backup file with a similar name userdata.bak (maybe...).

Now then, I think my backup file was corrupt and it kept restoring it after a soft reset.

I solved it by soft reseting, to make 100% sure MM wasn't running, then deleting BOTH these files and sending waypoints from the PC again.

YMMV

Hi, tried that and the same thing still happens I'm afraid. I deleted Mem Map from the pda yesterday along with all of the maps, reloaded it all but again, no change. I wonder if it would help if I chucked it in the canal and bought a new one? B)

Hi, tried that and the same thing still happens I'm afraid. I deleted Mem Map from the pda yesterday along with all of the maps, reloaded it all but again, no change. I wonder if it would help if I chucked it in the canal and bought a new one? B)

Did you "delete" it via Active Sync or from the PDA menu?

Can make a difference.

Did you "delete" it via Active Sync or from the PDA menu?

Can make a difference.

From the pda, should it should be via Active sync?

I get the same problem and it is down to the userdata file as rutson says. The userdata file only updates when the memory map program on the PPC is closed via the menu (Menu > Exit).

When you load your waypoints into MM in the first instance, and you are happy they are showing, close the program down. This will update the userdata file, so that if and when it crashes and you do a soft reset, the overlay will still be there when you open memory map.

Tigs

I get the same problem and it is down to the userdata file as rutson says. The userdata file only updates when the memory map program on the PPC is closed via the menu (Menu > Exit).

When you load your waypoints into MM in the first instance, and you are happy they are showing, close the program down. This will update the userdata file, so that if and when it crashes and you do a soft reset, the overlay will still be there when you open memory map.

Tigs

Phew, many thanks, that seems to have done the trick. I didn't have to exit mem map before when I needed to do a soft re-set, but who cares, it seems to be working now. I'm almost as pleased as Mrs gingerbreadmen who now won't have to suffer me whinging on about how life's not fair all evening.

Once again, many thanks (and fingers crossed!).

Andy

This used to happen to me too if I shut down MM without first "unlocking" the gps from MM.

Nowadays I also export custom MM overlay files to my pda when I send GPX and everything else, so if I lose everything I can just open MM, then open whatever overlay I want using file explorer...