Anthus Laptop Geocoin

Anthus

I do not have a total number on the mint of coins yet. The LEs have been long, long sold out and will not be minted again. Same with the XLEs. There were 30 XLEs made and 170 LEs made. I had some late payment regulars as well as some late order regulars so I need to put one more final order in for the regulars. So, if anyone else wants a regular. Now is your last opportunity. Total mintage of all coins as it stands right now is 1500 coins.

I too have been out of town and haven't gotton back here to thank Anthus for the info (thanks!) No doubt these sparkly geodubloon threads (necessarily) often go on 'n on, and I'm wondering...

Wouldn't it be good to have some sort of a standardized note at the beginning of each new coin thread - with such info updated by the OP as things went along? i.e. coin name, size, colors, numbers minted, trackable, geonic option, ordering deadline, payment deadline, estimated shipping date, etc. No doubt things change over the life of a coin thread from start to final shipment, and sometimes delays arise, etc. But the OP can always edit the initial coin info note as things progress. Point is - leastwise the pertinent info would be all in one place at the top of the coin thread. As opposed to the present willy-nilly system of wading through pages of notes and replies to piece together the coin's key info.

Or somesuch...

I'm just wondering why some seem to be looser than others when they are opened. Otherwise, very satisfied with the quality.

We noticed the same thing. We bought two of the LE and two RE and of the four, they all seem to be a little different when opened. We also have some that don't line up 100% when they are closed.

I guess that is to be expected though, since this is the first ever hinged coin.

Wouldn't it be good to have some sort of a standardized note at the beginning of each new coin thread - with such info updated by the OP as things went along? i.e. coin name, size, colors, numbers minted, trackable, geonic option, ordering deadline, payment deadline, estimated shipping date, etc. No doubt things change over the life of a coin thread from start to final shipment, and sometimes delays arise, etc. But the OP can always edit the initial coin info note as things progress. Point is - leastwise the pertinent info would be all in one place at the top of the coin thread. As opposed to the present willy-nilly system of wading through pages of notes and replies to piece together the coin's key info.

Or somesuch...

That's a great idea. It often is difficult to determine current status,.

Sue

Or somesuch...

Although it may be a good idea is to allow the original person who opened a thread to be able to go back after 24 hours and edit the post, this would tend to leave people who follow updates on the forums via email out in the dark. I always subscribe to a thread if I'm interested in the progress of a coin or if I've pre-ordered some quantity of them. That way I get email immediately when an update is posted and I don't have to go back to the online forums interface and search for each thread I care about. Plus, editing the original post would mean a loss of historical information and "promises" from the original poster. I mean, what if you make a reservation for a coin thinking that they will be $8 and then the original poster goes and edits the first post days later to say $15. You'd be very surprised when you got your invoice.

An idea that is totally unsupported by this forums software (as far as I know) would be to allow the original poster to append 'links' to the original post that point to later, subsequent posts for updated information. Then people who are following the forums with just the online interface could quickly see where to go for the latest 'official' updated information buried deep in the middle of page 13 of the replies.

Or somesuch...

Although it may be a good idea is to allow the original person who opened a thread to be able to go back after 24 hours and edit the post, this would tend to leave people who follow updates on the forums via email out in the dark. I always subscribe to a thread if I'm interested in the progress of a coin or if I've pre-ordered some quantity of them. That way I get email immediately when an update is posted and I don't have to go back to the online forums interface and search for each thread I care about. Plus, editing the original post would mean a loss of historical information and "promises" from the original poster. I mean, what if you make a reservation for a coin thinking that they will be $8 and then the original poster goes and edits the first post days later to say $15. You'd be very surprised when you got your invoice.

An idea that is totally unsupported by this forums software (as far as I know) would be to allow the original poster to append 'links' to the original post that point to later, subsequent posts for updated information. Then people who are following the forums with just the online interface could quickly see where to go for the latest 'official' updated information buried deep in the middle of page 13 of the replies.

When you subscribe to a thread though it can just become an issue of wading through all of the emails as opposed to wading through all of the posts....Sometimes inbetween checking of my email there will be 30-40 posts! I like the idea of being able to edit the first post. Maybe make it so that when the first post is edited, an automatic reply is generated to say that it's been edited; or even with a copy of it? Maybe this discussion needs its own thread?

I'm just wondering why some seem to be looser than others when they are opened. Otherwise, very satisfied with the quality.

We noticed the same thing. We bought two of the LE and two RE and of the four, they all seem to be a little different when opened. We also have some that don't line up 100% when they are closed.

I guess that is to be expected though, since this is the first ever hinged coin.

We have noticed the difference in how some of the hinges work as well. Please remember that these coins are hand crafted at the mint and are very intricate, and as such some differences are to be expected. Being the first hinged coin probably added to the differences. These differences make the coins unique and add some character to this edition. Also, remember that if you force the laptop open to far you will bend the mechanism and affect how far it opens in the future. Overall, even with the inconsistencies, we are quite happy with the quality the mint has achieved. This was a difficult coin to produce and something that hasn’t been done before with a coin and I believe they did very well. I am still quite amazed at the high level that this hinged coin now brings to the geocoin community. Geocoins are amongst the most creative and high quality coins on the market today. I find it exciting and rewarding to be part of it and pushing the envelope at every step of the way. :ph34r:

...Anthus

Or somesuch...

When you subscribe to a thread though it can just become an issue of wading through all of the emails as opposed to wading through all of the posts....Sometimes inbetween checking of my email there will be 30-40 posts! I like the idea of being able to edit the first post. Maybe make it so that when the first post is edited, an automatic reply is generated to say that it's been edited; or even with a copy of it? Maybe this discussion needs its own thread?

I agree that this is an issue and wish there was a better solution for all. This topic should be discussed further but I too recommend in a different thread. This thread is already too long and has already had a couple side tracks.

BTW: Although we are not into coin making as our sole business (I just do it as a hobby). We are already thinking of a new system should we make another coin in the future. We hope to put in place a mechanism for reservations/orders to be tracked throughout the process (i.e. reservation/invoiced/paid/shipped). The idea is for users to be able to go to a web site and lookup their reservation/order status rather than relying on the forums/emails. Hopefully that helps eleviate some of the confusion.

Thanks....Anthus

I agree that this is an issue and wish there was a better solution for all. This topic should be discussed further but I too recommend in a different thread. This thread is already too long and has already had a couple side tracks.

BTW: Although we are not into coin making as our sole business (I just do it as a hobby). We are already thinking of a new system should we make another coin in the future. We hope to put in place a mechanism for reservations/orders to be tracked throughout the process (i.e. reservation/invoiced/paid/shipped). The idea is for users to be able to go to a web site and lookup their reservation/order status rather than relying on the forums/emails. Hopefully that helps eleviate some of the confusion.

Thanks....Anthus

Sorry to continue the off topic conversation, but just a quick comment -

One thing I will say about topic updates is that GMail is great for that - it lumps my Topic Subscription Reply Notification emails all together - almost like a thread in itself. Well - it lumps every 61 together... then starts a new one.

Received my coins several days ago. Thought I'd play a joke on my daughter telling her she could have my new laptop. I handed her the coin thinking she'd get mad and give it back to me. She looked at it a few minutes, said "cool" and went in her room with it. Glad I purchased 2 coins, cause I didn't get that one back.

ok i want a set of those this is my first time on the forum kimba showed me hers and told me about the forum now what do i do to get a set :D

Hi. Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry but all coins are sold out. Do you have a trading list?

...Anthus

I haven't received my coins yet and am wondering if I was supposed to receive a shipping notification?

I'm finishing up the 4/30 paid orders now. To be as fair as possible to everyone, orders are being shipped in the order that they were paid. I checked my db and you paid on 5/21. I'm hoping that within the next 2 weeks that all paid orders will be shipped. I've now updated my order web page to reflect the date that I'm currently shipping. Hopefully that makes it easier for everyone to check the general status of shipments.

Thanks....Anthus

5. Your money has been refunded and your order cancelled

Judging by all the responses; I guess I'm taking an unpopular opinion here when I say that I read this and my jaw dropped. Literally.

He's unhappy with the wait and expresses that so no coins for him?! Sounds like a ridiculously hasty reaction. He said he wont be doing business with you in the future, not that he wanted to cancel this order.

I agree here and really do hope that the he is allowed do pay again if he wanted.

I am looking at my post box since I paid (May 24th) and it was NOT clear to me that shipping would follow so late so I started to look through this thread today. Coins sometimes wait up to 3 weeks at the customs. I gave the guys an extra week but now I got worried. Sorry to here that some of you had bad experiences with other coins, but for me this is the first one taking so long.

It's ok for me to wait but I just didn't know about it. I never follow Coin-Threads when I buy some and I was not told to follow a special thread. I only posted here before because I was not able to send an e-mail directly to Anthus (out of unknown reasons) - I didn't even reserve the coin because of this thread - I saw the link on another site.

Therefore I'd also appreciate editing the first posting.

Something like "Edit Jun 25th: Shipping in progress for orders paid 4/30" would be nice :o

(but as a matter of fact I'll enable the email notification - I want to be sure to get the info in every case)

At least I know I can stay relaxed until autumn as my coins won't arrive before I am going on vacation <_<

Received mine, forgot to come and tell you... sorry....

Took it to an event, we were about 4-5 gathered in a circle showing coins and I had this one in my pocket from just receiving it... took it out everyone was watching, and I got the "ohhhhhhh woooowwww" effect when I opened the lid... hehehe thought that was cool and neat.

Thanks for the second batch I'm glad I got one.

CA

I haven't received my coins yet and am wondering if I was supposed to receive a shipping notification?

I'm finishing up the 4/30 paid orders now. To be as fair as possible to everyone, orders are being shipped in the order that they were paid. I checked my db and you paid on 5/21. I'm hoping that within the next 2 weeks that all paid orders will be shipped. I've now updated my order web page to reflect the date that I'm currently shipping. Hopefully that makes it easier for everyone to check the general status of shipments.

Thanks....Anthus

I wasn't sure on the dates, so I thought I better speak up just in case. Thanks, and looking forward to these!

Well I live in the US and paid May 4th and am waiting still as well, even though many of the orders were shipped over three weeks ago from the second production.

Yours was shipped yesterday.

I wasn't sure on the dates, so I thought I better speak up just in case. Thanks, and looking forward to these!

Taking yours to the PO this morning

Paid on the 23rd May - 2 days to shipping time :-)

Thanks for all the updates.

Sue

All orders paid through 5/20 have now been shipped. I'm about 1/2 way through 5/21 as that seems to be another popular date for payment. I have less than 100 orders (out of the 400) to fill now. I anticipate finishing the vast majority of these up by this weekend :D

Thanks.....Anthus

;):D:o

Thanks for all the compliments. Makes it worth all the hassel. Freel free to post pics too. Love to see Geekboy crying :D

Sorry it has taken me so long to get my eyes dried enough to be able to read the screen well enough to type this reply. :o

I have the coins my wife bought me. I am keeping one unactivated, and the other has been activated and is carried with me most of the time. The day after I got them, I took them to work and told a co-worker that my wife bought me a new laptop and called it a belated Father's Day present (from our dogs). Then I showed them the new coins. They loved 'em.

Thanks!

YAY!!!!!!! :lol: A stack of laptops and trades has just appeared from Anthus! LOVE the laptops! :lol: Especially the LE Red. ;) Now I just have to find someone to trade with to get a LE Blue :lol:

Oooh yes, and we cant forget the XLE golds.....hmmmm now what could I give Stacy as a big juicy enticement???? :P:D:lol:

Wooohooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Received my laptops this morning. That was fast, only 5 days shipping to Canada. :o

They are great specialy the RED LE

Glad they arrived so quickly -- boy that was quick for Canada. I think the Red is my favorite too. :D

+++++++++++++++++

All orders paid in May have now been shipped. I'm now working on the June paid orders.

+++++++++++++++++

Well, I guess it's my turn to bump this thread up a bit. I sat quietly by, while I watched this soap opera unfold. Ebay buyers got their coins before me, don't say anything. People had orders cancelled for speaking their mind, don't say anything. People complained about the coins not being good, crooked hinges, etc, Don't say anything. My Laptops came yesterday, so I can't get my order cancelled. Time to speak up.

The coins I received are much less than expected. I know, I'm supposed to grovel here with pride and joy, since Anthus took the first hinge design to mint. Ok, oooh, ahhhh. I'm over it. If only they had cared to make sure the coins they received were in good condition. I bought BN and Nickel designs. Out of 6, NO hinges were even close to straight. Ok, so they were handmade. Tough. Make them right. My real life laptop is straight. These aren't. :lol:

The bottom coin was very wavy on the die lines, almost making it look handmade. Also, the finish on all the BN coins was drippy, kinda like a sloppy painter. Unfortunately, that's not very easy to snap a photo of. I had one Nickel coin that was missing the plating on the upper half near the hinge. Again, can't snap it.

Now, the worst BN coin was missing plating on the front edge (photo below), and the most crooked. I took the best photos I could. I guess all my patience waiting for the coins to be repacked was just for nothing. Didn't anyone look at these coins? Ever? Guess not.

Add me to the list of unimpressed. :D

9fbee62f-8443-4c5f-93e3-41b27a877d67.jpg

bfe15ddb-14dd-4dc6-a24e-9abcdf45d804.jpg

:D

Such drama -- I expect nothing less from you, though. Read through this thread again and you will see an overwhelming number of people just delighted with their coins -- yes the coins are hand made. For the record, only one person got their order canceled so don't go making assumptions unless you know the whole story behind that one.

How do I know you didn't damage these coins? Tell you what, Pete, send all the coins back and I will most happily give you a full refund minus shipping! There is still a long waiting list for these. And with such a low number coin, I'm sure it will be snapped up in a hurry.

Again, it is ironic that a couple people seem to bash coins that don't come from the "the group" and from which they have no access to the rare editions. I've sat back and watched this group bully people for far too long with their hidden agendas.

Tell you what, Pete, send all the coins back and I will most happily give you a full refund minus shipping!

You're right. I took the plating off them myself. Shame on me. Typical response. Bow to Anthus. :laughing:

So, Pete, shall I be expending all coins to be shipped back to me?

See, what I can't get is, it's so hard to believe that someone actually doesn't like the service and goods that were received. I've bought thousands of coins, and this is a common mint error. Sloppy, plain sloppy, and easy to see. I thought that coin quality was what made the shipping process take weeks. Obviously service wasn't included in the purchase price.

And, I guess I'm part of some mystery "group", that gets upsets when they get junk coins in the mail and expects timely service and quality. Shame on me again. If you really care (since obviously you mentioned it), I've already made trades for Red and Blue. Not that difficult, so I'm not terribly concerned with rare editions.

You'll be getting the laptops back that I can't sell or trade, since I'd be embarassed to try that on other coin collectors. I'd ask for replacements, but I've upset the Geocoin Deity, so I won't even dare to travel that road.

I'm actually out caching now, borrowing wireless from a pizza place. Yes, caching, like some people actually do. So, if my responses aren't timely, I apologize.