Anthus Laptop Geocoin

Anthus

Low blow to the rest off us in Wy...You would think we where use to hearing about that coin,but we are not.Very sore topic..we had nothing to do with that coin. :o

I know all of you weren't involved but it just blows my mind to hear complaints about this coin when Anthus has been keeping everyone updated through this thread promptly and has told everyone she has been busy. I just got my coins thursday after hearing lots of people getting their's. I wasn't worried because of the updates being given. So to hear someone complain and say they won't buy from Anthus again because of long delay is rediculous in my opinion considering Anthus has answered all concerns here and I'm sure privately as well.

I guess this coming from someone from WY just rubbed me wrong. I'm sorry for that. I apologize. I know who was and was not involved in the other incident. Enough of this......back on topic......

Just wanted to let everybody know what kind of people created this coin. I recently complained about it having been 6 weeks since I paid for 2 laptop coins. I still don't have my coins nor do I have any idea when I might get them. To me that is unacceptable behavior by a coin seller. Apparently Anthus did not like my comments so they refunded my money today. At the very least, this is unethical. At the most it is illegal. My money was good enough as long as I had no complaints but once they read a comment they don't llike, I get my money back. Where is the interest this money could have earned while they had it in their account rather than mine? Lots of questions here but I will complain to GC for this unethical treatment.

Low blow to the rest off us in Wy...You would think we where use to hearing about that coin,but we are not.Very sore topic..we had nothing to do with that coin. :o

I know all of you weren't involved but it just blows my mind to hear complaints about this coin when Anthus has been keeping everyone updated through this thread promptly and has told everyone she has been busy. I just got my coins thursday after hearing lots of people getting their's. I wasn't worried because of the updates being given. So to hear someone complain and say they won't buy from Anthus again because of long delay is rediculous in my opinion considering Anthus has answered all concerns here and I'm sure privately as well.

I guess this coming from someone from WY just rubbed me wrong. I'm sorry for that. I apologize. I know who was and was not involved in the other incident. Enough of this......back on topic......

Suggest you take a deep breath and have a think about this. Coins cost a large amount of money to produced (this one in particular) and the mint certainly ain't doing it for love!! Some people have to money to out lay to the mint up front and can afford to get the coins in hand before selling them. Most people cannot afford to do this, hence need to at the very least, partially fund this via pre-orders. I very much doubt that Anthus , as you have suggested, sitting on a huge pile of eveyones money getting rich off the interest.

Most people - yourself included I suspect, and me definitely - flocked to this coin because of the amazing and unique design, and once proofs were sighted, the beauty of it. Anthus was very upfront about how it was being produced, and has been fast to advise people of delays.

Me? I'm just sitting here patiently, half a world away, knowing I have some coins coming... quietly hoping before not too long I will have them in hand. And really, really hoping I am near the top for the waiting list and that I might have a chance at getting some LE laptops - but knowing that reality won't deal me that card.

Edited out mistake.

Edited by keewee01

I also paid on April 28, 2007 but have received no word as to when I might receive my coins. I love the coin but this delay is unacceptable. Money should not be taken that far in advance of the shipping of coins. I will not be buying coins from Anthus in the future!

You said that the delay in shipping your coin was unacceptable. And that you would not buy coins from us in the future. This sounded to me like you were unhappy with your order. We immediately refunded your money in response. We don’t want anyone to be unhappy, and will gladly issue a refund to anyone that wants one.

As for not receiving a word on when you might receive your coins, this thread is one of the most active threads for many, many weeks. It is almost always on the first page. I constantly post updates here and answer everyone questions promptly. I cannot force anyone to read the posts, I can only post them.

Just wanted to let everybody know what kind of people created this coin. I recently complained about it having been 6 weeks since I paid for 2 laptop coins. I still don't have my coins nor do I have any idea when I might get them. To me that is unacceptable behavior by a coin seller. Apparently Anthus did not like my comments so they refunded my money today. At the very least, this is unethical. At the most it is illegal. My money was good enough as long as I had no complaints but once they read a comment they don't llike, I get my money back. Where is the interest this money could have earned while they had it in their account rather than mine? Lots of questions here but I will complain to GC for this unethical treatment.

So, let me get this right… refunding your order was unethical and possibly illegal? I do not see the logic in this one. And as for the comment about “what kind of people created this coin”; We are the kind of people who want happy purchasers, and when one complains that he is not happy, immediately refunded his money. Oh my! How dare we promptly refund money? We must be stopped! :smile:

Maybe what you really wanted with your original complaint was for us to bump you up in line, and ship your order immediately. This would have been unfair to everyone who was waiting patiently for their order to be completed in the order that they paid. And now that you have your money back, you want interest?

We understand that there is a frustration in not getting your order as fast as you’d like, believe me; we share the feelings with you. This project was intended to be limited to around 250 – 500 coins. But, the demand was so high that we gave in and opened it up to more orders so everyone that wanted one had a chance at one. This means much more work for us in getting them prepared and shipped out to all of you. We are happy to do it though. Your demand for our coins is very flattering, and this response is exactly why we are “into” geocoins. This is not a business for us; we simply love geocoins, especially designing them. The reward is in hearing how everyone loves the coin. Don’t get me wrong, we aren’t losing money on this coin; we just can’t afford to do that. But we also are not getting rich from your orders. It is more important to us that people like the coins we make. And from most of the responses we have read, it sounds to me like it was a success.

You can’t please all the people all the time though… If you feel we treated you unfairly you are welcome to send us a personal message, or feel free to contact Groundspeak. We will try to find a solution that makes you happy as long as it is fair to the others who are waiting patiently (and not so patiently) in line.

And as always, anyone who is not happy with their order is welcome to email us, or send a PM and we’ll do what we can to remedy the situation.

...Anthus

You can complain about the delay (all of us who loved the coins wanted them as soon as we could get them - a function of outstanding design) but I don't think you can complain about the communication. We've had very regular updates throughout.

As an aside, if you have an issue with someone you may want to address that person in a non-public way. Putting a negative post up for all to see (especially against a well-respected cacher) is not going to help the situation. Actually, for this very coin I had some concerns about the insurance cost so I emailed Anthus - she emailed right back and allayed my concerns. Stepping off the soapbox now...

As far as interest goes, let's say you bought a couple sets, have an average interest rate at the bank, carry the one, over two months that works out to roughly $0.08 of interest. Don't spend it all in one place...

I agree - you have kept us updated all the way. I'm sat here patiently in the UK waiting for my turn to come along... There are other coins I've purchased that I've had no feedback from at all - but with this one you have let us know just what was happening from day 1 and that from my part is much appreciated.

Thanks

Sue

So just on another topic relating to this coin, what where the final number of these minted? In other words how many where minted?

Please see post #623

I also paid on April 28, 2007 but have received no word as to when I might receive my coins. I love the coin but this delay is unacceptable. Money should not be taken that far in advance of the shipping of coins. I will not be buying coins from Anthus in the future!

1. Read the forums; updates posted here constantly so no excuse on the status of the coins

2. This was a preorder as was all my coins I sold for the past 1 1/2 years

3. Over 400 orders to ship out totalling about 1500 coins

4. Complicated coin that did take longer to produce than normal coin

5. Your money has been refunded and your order cancelled

If they had an LE in their order I would like it. Please e-mail me via profile if it is available.

I would like a LE also, but I guess there's already a long waitinglist for those...

I'm sorry. His order was placed after all the LEs were sold out. So, he didn't have any LEs. Just one BN and one N.

Does this mean my laptops will be on their way as well? :smile:

I checked the database and you paid on 5/22. I'm shipping out in the order that payment was received to be as fair as possible. There are about 100 orders in front of you yet.

So far about 260 of the around 400 orders have been shipped totaling about 836 coins. Our largest shipment of a single coin design to date. :smile:

...Anthus

A few of my thoughts on this whole thing...

I first saw this thread AFTER the coins sold out :lol: . However, reservations were re-opened, which allowed me to reserve some :smile: . I really appreciate the ability to purchase my coins!

Yes, I did pay for the coins back in April, however, I knew there'd a delay in receipt of the coins. Anthus, your communication throughout this whole process has been excellent!

And finally, my coins arrived today :smile: . In my humble opinion, they were well worth the wait!

Thanks Anthus for a very unique and beautiful coin! I hope to be able to turn loose of one, but it's going to be a challenge prying it out of my fist!

I opened my mailbox in anticipation today and it was warranted. My laptops came in today and as I opened them, I received a bonus surprise - right in my hands I held coin number 072!!!! How sweet is that - thanx a truckload Anthus - great coins and a wonderful surprise - WOOT!!!

Stacy,

I just received my laptop geocoins this morning. They are beautiful, too beautiful to set them out in caches. I am planning on giving them to my grandchildren and keeping one for myself. Thanks for producing this unique coin. It was well worth the wait.

I don't know how much profit you made on this coin but you earned every penny. They are worth much more than we paid. And for you to have to put up with the griping, you deserve a lot more.

Thanks again. I am looking forward to your next coin.

Although my coins haven't as yet been able to make it half a world away (as Keewee mentioned), I am more than happy with the way Anthus has kept us all up to date on the status of the coins. If the laptop is anything like her previous coins - I am going to be thrilled with them.

Thanks for all the hard work, creativity and communication Anthus :smile:

Oh wow; oh wow; oh WOW! Got our coin today and it is great! Most definitely worth the wait. I had myself confused because I didn't get a shipping notice and I thought maybe I'd been overlooked. However, the more I think about it, I'll bet the shipping notice is sitting in Mr. Car54's in-box 'cause his e-mail addy is the one we use for paypal. Anyway, WAY cool coin!

Thanks!

Mrs. Car54

Judging by all the responses; I guess I'm taking an unpopular opinion here when I say that I read this and my jaw dropped. Literally.

He's unhappy with the wait and expresses that so no coins for him?! Sounds like a ridiculously hasty reaction. He said he wont be doing business with you in the future, not that he wanted to cancel this order.

The delay was agonizing and I can understand where his frustration was coming from. Granted, I wouldn't post something like he did in a public forum, but I don't think it was right to just go ahead and cancel his order.

That being said, i DO appreciate that you were willing to mint so many more than you planned on, and I do appreciate all of the extra effort that you needed to put into it in order to get it done; but please understand that all of our frustrations were b/c we were so excited about the coin. The excitement made the wait all the more painful.

Yes, you checked in and kept us informed; but I would like to point out that I did misinterpret your post on June 4th:

1. The first batch of orders with regulars were shipped today

I didn't realize batch meant your first trip to the post office; but rather I thought it meant that the first batch of orders; as in everything before they sold out the first time. This would have put me in the "second batch" After a long wait, I was excited again.

In the days to follow when people were posting their shipping notices i thought "ooh is this the second batch?" but it took two weeks beyond that to get a shipping notice. Two weeks of checking my email and this thread constantly hoping that my coin was on the way. Yes, I figured out before that, that it was not on the way, but my hopes had risen (and then crashed back down again).

No, I'm not complaining; and I've been doing my best to not complain all along because I'm sure that this project was more work than I can even imagine; but I am trying to defend the complaints b/c they aren't completely unwarranted.

Now I'll retreat back into the shadows and think about ordering some of dorkfishes piranha coins.

Edited by ThirstyMick

:smile::lol::lol:

Thanks for all the compliments. Makes it worth all the hassel. Freel free to post pics too. Love to see Geekboy crying :D

Paypal automatically sends a notice when the shipper is made. So, it uses whatever email you have listed with them. I'm not shipping international orders with Paypal for the only option is GPM. I've been taking them to the post office. I wanted to print the international postage with my new Dymo but I guess that the only international rate is for 1oz. :smile:

Checking the thread can't be too hard as you CAN watch it AND it was right on the front page most of the time for all to follow! Knowing the date you ordered likely would have narrowed down when your order would be taken care of (covered quite well in the thread).

Unwarranted?? Why not? Stacy has been straight up and kept you up to date from the get go. Even while working and dealing with every day life, she has dealt with this business-like operation (which would have sent me hiding somewhere...I'd have had to hire a crew) VERY professional-like!

Since there wasn't an LE ordered, I'm sure another order could be worked out (as Stacy did mention??).

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Shipping Update

As mentioned previously, all trades have been shipped (both USA and international)

All orders that were paid through 4/29 are now shipped (both USA and international)

I've started in on the 4/30 paid orders

If you paid on or before 4/29 and haven't received a shipping notice, please check your paypal account to see if the status has been updated there. If it hasn't, please email me. It's best to email me as that is easiest way to keep track of things.

As a reminder, I'm shipping orders in the order that they were paid in order to be as fair as possible.

I still owe some international invoices to some folks. I also received a few new orders that I owe invoices to. Please be patient for I'm still trying to get caught up with the paid orders before I send any new invoices out.

Thanks....Anthus

Judging by all the responses; I guess I'm taking an unpopular opinion here when I say that I read this and my jaw dropped. Literally.

He's unhappy with the wait and expresses that so no coins for him?! Sounds like a ridiculously hasty reaction. He said he wont be doing business with you in the future, not that he wanted to cancel this order.

Yeah that was pretty immature.

Careful what you say!

Hope you have your coins already Mick - they're sure to be cancelled now if not.

Shipping Update

As mentioned previously, all trades have been shipped (both USA and international)

All orders that were paid through 4/29 are now shipped (both USA and international)

If you paid on or before 4/29 and haven't received a shipping notice, please check your paypal account to see if the status has been updated there. If it hasn't, please email me. It's best to email me as that is easiest way to keep track of things ...

Thanks ... Anthus

Anyone have any idea how long it's supposed to take the Post Office to update the information on a tracking number? Apparently my shipment information was submitted on the 16th to the Post Office, but that's all the info given. Does that mean it's still sitting at Stacy's house waiting to be picked up? Or is it lost in some bureaucratic quagmire in a back room at the Post Office?

Sometimes I wonder about these things ... like when it takes stuff from TX to CA two days, but from CA to TX it takes SIX (they know how to make me nervous!). I didn't realize Post Office shipments had an ''upstream'' and ''downstream''!! :D:D:unsure:

Candy

Anyone have any idea how long it's supposed to take the Post Office to update the information on a tracking number? Apparently my shipment information was submitted on the 16th to the Post Office, but that's all the info given. Does that mean it's still sitting at Stacy's house waiting to be picked up? Or is it lost in some bureaucratic quagmire in a back room at the Post Office?

Candy

The typical service added to coin shipments when you pay with PayPal is Delivery Confirmation. The agent at Post Office the other day told me that this means that the only thing that they guarantee to be updated on a tracking # is the day & time that the package was delivered. Other updates may be posted to the package, but they are not guaranteed to be listed there. And at my PO, they don't even scan the packages in if they are received at the PO with electronic printed shipping labels (via PayPal).

And I know what you mean by waiting for things to be delivered. One time it took 2 weeks to get a single micro coin delivered from the Florida to NC. :unsure:

You know the worst part of this is that I can't take all this out and start playing with it (or trading them) until the whole insurance thing is straightened out. The package has to stay together - as received - until I get some official acceptance of the insurance claim. So, I'll just throw in another :unsure: here.

On the plus side, they do look awesome. And if I had the black nickel variety, I'd even take a pic beside their big brothers - my Thinkpads. Ok, I give in.... :D

Thank you for suggesting/requiring insurance, Anthus!

To file a claim you MUST have the White and Blue receipt that Stacy would have, make sure they regisiter it if tehy mail it to you. They can file the claim from the senders end with the receipts as long as you have filed it on your end and give them the claim number. PO is usually pretty quick in the long run at getting you a receipt for lost goods. YWho ever ends up filling will need a receipt showing "TOTAL" for items sent.

WOO HOOO, mine came in... Oh but now I need to send them to Fox-and-the-Hound as I promised them for his birthday. Knew I should have ordered extras :unsure: But I sure do wish I could see the look on his face when he opens these. They will go soooo will with the lap top he got for his Christmas present. :D Wish I had a mom like me LOL

Shipping Update

If you paid on or before 4/29 and haven't received a shipping notice, please check your paypal account to see if the status has been updated there. If it hasn't, please email me. It's best to email me as that is easiest way to keep track of things ...

Thanks ... Anthus

Sometimes I wonder about these things ... like when it takes stuff from TX to CA two days, but from CA to TX it takes SIX (they know how to make me nervous!). I didn't realize Post Office shipments had an ''upstream'' and ''downstream''!! B):angry:B)

Candy

I don't think they are getting updated. I got an email from someone yesterday about their order. I went in to see if the shipping was updated and it didn't even say that the PO got it -- the buyer had already received the package.

I had a trade coming to me from CA to PA. The cacher sent it the same day that he sent on the Germany. The one made it to Germany before mine made it to PA. B)

If there is anyone out there with an LE laptop that's up for a trade, please email me! I'm Jonesing for one of those color lids!!

Thanks,

Candy

Send me a link to your trading list and I'll take a look when I get a break.

Were all of the laptops shipped insured mail or just the larger orders? Mine should be here today and I wanted to hang around to sign for them if necessary. My regular and an LE trade left Greensboro and should be delivered today I think

I believe only orders with 4 or more coins had the option for insurance.

paid 23rd May - means they're still on the wait list. Off to get another coffee - or lots.

Sue

Me too, ordered 8th April, paid when requested 23rd May, really looking forward to receiving these coins, they look superb. B)

I'm currently on the 4/30 payments and am processing them as quickly as possible. You paid on 5/23. I'm sorry for the delay. I am working through the shipments as quickly as possible.

Just wanted to say that I'm so impressed at having seen my order in person. Excellently done!

Though I'm curious... since the price of the coin was about par for its size, were the hinges and special die setup really cheap, or did you just soak the cost of it?

We tried to keep the cost of the coin down as much as possible so that everyone had the opportunity to purchase them. I did have to pay for 4 dies -- normal coins only have 2 dies. I also had to pay extra for the hinges and extra for the hinge assembly. Luckily for me, I got it right the first time with my design and didn't have to pay for extra sets of dies until it worked out right. There was a mistake on one die with the first set of samples but that error was a mint error and not a design error so I didn't have to pay for the die remake. These things helped keep the cost down.

Got 2/3 of my laptops yesterday. Shipped in 2 packages on the same day but only one showed up. 2 coins in the one delivered, 1 coin in that yet to be delivered package though.

Ok. I'm confused on this one. You should have only received one package with 3 coins in it. I did ship a lot of packages over the last few weeks. Can you please email me. I have a few questions that may help sort out things.

....Anthus

Sometimes I wonder about these things ... like when it takes stuff from TX to CA two days, but from CA to TX it takes SIX (they know how to make me nervous!). I didn't realize Post Office shipments had an ''upstream'' and ''downstream''!! :blink::blink::laughing:

Candy

I don't think they are getting updated. I got an email from someone yesterday about their order. I went in to see if the shipping was updated and it didn't even say that the PO got it -- the buyer had already received the package.

I had a trade coming to me from CA to PA. The cacher sent it the same day that he sent on the Germany. The one made it to Germany before mine made it to PA. :blink:

I worked at the post office for a couple of years, and can tell you a little about how it shoud (and how it actually does) work.

When I ship coins, I use the little green Delivery Confirmation stickers, and hand carry the packages to the clerk at the counter. They scan the packages right then and there. That's really the only way to guarantee they'll get scanned for pick-up.

When you print the Delivery Confirmation through PayPal and put them in your mailbox to be picked up, or just drop off a load at the post office, that will generate the message that the post office has been "informed" that they will be receiving a package. The packages are SUPPOSED to be scanned at the time they are received by the postman, or dropped off at the post office. But, some post offices don't push their carriers to do it. For each package, the postman has to scan it, push a couple of buttons, then manually enter the destination zip code into the scanner, and push a couple more buttons. It's a pain in the butt, I know, I did it hundreds of times. If you put these in your mailbox, you might try writing a little note to your mailman asking them to make sure they scan the Delivery Confirmations for your packages (as a little reminder that they're supposed to do that).

When the package is received at a central processing center, and finally at your local post office, it is supposed to be scanned again. This usually happens the day before the package is delivered to you. My post office in Palm Bay is good about this. When I'm watching out for a package, I almost always see when it has been received at the post office, and it is always delivered the next day.

Finally, the postman is supposed to scan the package before putting it in your mailbox.

The delay you read about is because the scanners are picked up in the morning, used all day long, then put back on their bases at the end of the day, and that's when the information is transmitted to their main computers. So you won't actually see that the package has been delivered until hours after it has actually been delivered. If the mailman doesn't scan it before putting it in your mailbox, it will never show up as being delivered.

Hope this helps!

Let me add another side note here.... I've experienced this first hand at the Post office counter. If the PayPal mailing label has any kind of packing tape placed over the barcode portion of the label, it is possible or even likely that the scanner will not read the barcode. The extra reflective coating confuses the barcode scanner.

In that case, I've seen that the only recourse for the Postal worker is to enter the long tracking # by hand ... not something that I expect many hurried delivery people will do in the field.

So, follow the directions on the PayPal printed mailing label sheet -- do not put any tape over top of the barcode section. It really does affect the tracking ability!

Let me add another side note here.... I've experienced this first hand at the Post office counter. If the PayPal mailing label has any kind of packing tape placed over the barcode portion of the label, it is possible or even likely that the scanner will not read the barcode. The extra reflective coating confuses the barcode scanner.

In that case, I've seen that the only recourse for the Postal worker is to enter the long tracking # by hand ... not something that I expect many hurried delivery people will do in the field.

So, follow the directions on the PayPal printed mailing label sheet -- do not put any tape over top of the barcode section. It really does affect the tracking ability!

Very good point. If you want to tape down the label, tape it along the edges, and even over the address if you want. But don't cover the barcode!