Potential Problem Cachers

Potential Problem Cachers:

Every area has them. Folks who’s noses are a tad too long and who think their way of thinking about your cache is the right way. Sure you don’t have explicit permission for that cache on the edge of the golf course by the river on that trail that people in your town have used for river access since your great grandfather broke ground on the original town site. Along comes Earnie Eagle Beak who emails you and asks if you have Explicit Permission. You tell him the truth and say “Not exactly, I have adequate permission” Earnie replies with a lecture about how you are harming caching. You get a bad feeling.

Sure enough Earnie Eagle Beak has called the Golf Course Manager who hating all those float tubers who get out at that spot and moon old golfing prudes, calls his budy the Mayor. The Mayor tells the parks department to pull the cache. The parks department follows their marching orders even though they don’t own the land. Meanwhile the greenway folks who maintain the path that runs nearby call and give you a heads up that your cache is being taken so you call the parks department so you can go get it. Mr Parks Manager yells at you for being a dumbass but winks at you on your way out. You take your cache and walk over to the Public Works Director and talk shop. When he finds out what went on he rolls his eyes but his boss is the Mayor. Being curious about caching the Public Works director agrees to go out for a trial run.

Next week you have hooked another person on caching and go to a meeting on a local project. The Mayor, Mr. Parks Department, the Public Works Director and the Greenway people are all there. You do your business, solve some problems and everyone is happy. On that note you mention that it was your cache that the Golf Course called about and the Mayor having heard about caching now and being pretty progressive as well as politically savvy says, why don’t you put it back a bit closer to the greenway. Then I can tell Mr Golf Manager it’s on the greenway lands and away from the golf course. You get your cache, they get people on the path, the golf course gets their way and I get re-elected. Naturally you do that.

Next week, Earnie Eagle Beak who misses nothing emails you and says “I see your cache is back, do you have explicit permission now? To which you say “Well not exactly…but I have adequate permission”

I hate when that happens. Some cachers just make things so complex.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Another scenario:

The Evil Mutant Space Aliens have loaded Lite Brites with a mixture of Super Secret Ninja Virus & Chemical X. They hide these weapons of death in major cities across the globe, and threaten to detonate them if Rosie O'Donnell makes any more blathering political references. 4.2 seconds after issuing the threat, Rosie babbles some more nonsense, and the general population, (those not wearing tin foil hats), gets terminated. The Mayor of Dothan Alabama is the only surviving politician on the planet, (thanx to his foil hat), and he contacts the aliens on his secret squirrel shoe phone, asking them, "Did you guys have adequate or explicit permission to hide those Lite Brites?"

The biggest problem cachers that I have seen are the pompous (expletive deleted) that think that they can go where they want and do what, regardless of how it effects others around them.

Also the fools with over the top post counts who think that there two-bit opinion matters more than anybody elses.

It's a wonder that there is room in these forums at all with the giant egos around here.

Also the fools with over the top post counts who think that there two-bit opinion matters more than anybody elses.

It's a wonder that there is room in these forums at all with the giant egos around here.

Could you please define over the top poster, fools and giant egos?

El Diablo

The biggest problem cachers that I have seen are the pompous (expletive deleted) that think that they can go where they want and do what, regardless of how it effects others around them.

Post envy? :laughing::laughing:

Did you come to the forums to read your own opinion over and over again or to consider the opinions of others on subjects that interest you?

Edited by Snoogans

Then the other side of the coin,

You go after a new or fairly new cache and are stopped and questioned by the landowner who had no idea it was placed on their property or what the h*** it is.

PP

BTW The purple tie is where the Mayor hides his foil hat.

... Rosie babbles some more nonsense...

She's a cacher? Man, I hate when that happens!

Couldn't be. She has never thought anything through. :laughing:

We over the top posting fools have been around long enough to have read the guideline about playing nice in the forums and not calling people names.

However, too often we break that rule in the heat of posting, as you seem to have done with your two-bit opinion.

Welcome to the forums, you'll fit right in!

We over the top posting fools have been around long enough to have read the guideline about playing nice in the forums and not calling people names.

However, too often we break that rule in the heat of posting, as you seem to have done with your two-bit opinion.

I'm done with these forums.

I won't let a bunch of people with an over-inflated sense of self importance tarnish my enjoyment of geocaching in general.

I came here to have civil discourse about a hobby that I enjoy, not to get involved in full scale flame wars.

Out

So was that a hypothetical story or a real story?

Anyway, I have seen a fair number of people in caching who seem to want to police the game in their local (or even not so local) area and who leave a path of many logs and emails about how various caches are bad for the game. They tend to annoy most of the other area cachers, but I think in most cases they don't realize that they do so and have good intentions. Often I have found that they are newer to the game and pretty excited about it. In that excitement, they don't necessarily stop and think about the full consequences of their actions or think about the most appropriate and tactful way to express their concerns. In many cases they are not aware of the full area regulations or lack of them. For example, I have seen a person complain repeatedly that people should get explicit permission from a park that long ago said that people did not need to do so.

Of course other times, they are absolutely right about their concerns. The hope then is that they consider who to express those concerns to, and when, where, and how to do so instead of just running off and stiring up trouble that could be avoided.

Most of the annoyances I have seen could have been amicably solved if the person doing the complaining was a little more discrete and used a bit more tact.

In his defense, I don't know if I'd call this a personal attack. It was pretty generic.

It's sad to see mikeslomka leave. We'll miss him.

:laughing:

In his defense, I don't know if I'd call this a personal attack. It was pretty generic.

I wouldn't call it a personal attack either. :laughing:

Could you please define over the top poster, fools and giant egos?

El Diablo

I heard once that anyone who has over 65 posts in any given forum falls into this category.

You guys crack me up.

I'm more-or-less a spectator in these forums, and sometimes the show is grand. i must say i have never met people who can make faster, or more determined enemies just by saying a few words and attaching a little frog with his tongue out! people take this way too seriously!! what was the original intent of this thread anyway??

top con

Personally I haven't seen much in the way of flaming in these forums. What passes for flaming here is really mild stuff. I used to be a gamer (3.5 years of my life wasted before discovering geocaching!) and the game forums are filled with massive flames. I mainly haunted the tech forums (yeah, I had a crazy amounts of posts there) rather than the general game forums. The tech forums were pretty civil places where folks asked and answered technical game and hardware related questions. The general forums were filled with vitriolic personal attacks and replies. It was crazy. Be glad that these forums are pretty gentle and quite well moderated.

Then the other side of the coin,

You go after a new or fairly new cache and are stopped and questioned by the landowner who had no idea it was placed on their property or what the h*** it is. ...

Been there, done that, wasn't fun, but they knew what caching was when it was over and were thinking giving it a try even though I did have to contact the cache owner about pulling the cache. It all worked out in the end. When I called her back to let her know that the situation was resolved she was utterly shocked. She thought I was a fly by night kinda guy and she would never hear from me again.

Score one for the home team.

...who think that there two-bit opinion matters ...

Everybody’s two bit opinion matters, even yours.

Here is the truth behind that post as explained to Keystone who is bright enough to see a connection and smart enough to know the people involved and ask.

You and others in that thread inspired me to create a topic on how trying to do good can cause harm as much as anything else.

I didn't have to go out of my own back yard though to create the content. I do get emails every now and then questioning some aspect of my hides or my logs. So far they have been content to question my judgment, but when one finally makes that call to their buddy... there you go the hidden parts behind the post.

You were part of my muse but that’s where it stopped. Earnie Eagle Beak is too myopic to be you. I credited you with more brains than Earnie.

I wouldn't call it a personal attack either. :laughing:
Me either. If I had an over-the-top post count perhaps I'd feel differently.

I won't let a bunch of people with an over-inflated sense of self importance tarnish my enjoyment of geocaching in general.

I came here to have civil discourse about a hobby that I enjoy, not to get involved in full scale flame wars.

Out

Wait a minute, am I witness to a GeoCide?

Someone should make a GeoCide geocoin.

Out

Ouch! Who poured maple syrup in his panties?

Out

He'd been sour for about a week after getting talked down on a different thread. :rolleyes:

Out

Now there's a visual.. wearing syrup soaked panties into a flame war. Caramelized what????

everyone whoi IS anyone knows you should never waste maple syrup.

What, are you from Vermont or something? :)

As far as problem cachers goes, I'd say anyone who does anything to hurt the game of geocaching is problem cacher.

You might be a problem cacher if:

You hurt nature

You hurt other's property

You hurt others

Hrm... that started off as a Jeff Foxworthy-ish list, but it turned out much more serious. Oh well... :wub:

If I recall, you ARE from VT, right Flask?

Edited by Too Tall John

You guys crack me up.

I'm more-or-less a spectator in these forums, and sometimes the show is grand. i must say i have never met people who can make faster, or more determined enemies just by saying a few words and attaching a little frog with his tongue out! people take this way too seriously!! what was the original intent of this thread anyway??

top con

I'm with you on this one, Top Con!

:wub::huh::wub::)

Every area has them. Folks who’s noses are a tad too long and who think their way of thinking about your cache is the right way.

<snip>

Next week, Earnie Eagle Beak who misses nothing emails you and says “I see your cache is back, do you have explicit permission now? To which you say “Well not exactly…but I have adequate permission”

I hate when that happens. Some cachers just make things so complex.

I hate to break in here and sort of get back on topic, but when I got the notice about this cache getting Archived, I wondered if someone decided to be the cache police.

I really enjoyed the cache and was sad to see it go . . . :)

I would like to know who "reported" it and why . . . ? irked.gif

Hrm... that started off as a Jeff Foxworthy-ish list, but it turned out much more serious. Oh well... :)

You Might Be A Geocider If.... :wub:

That's it!

I'm done!

It's comments like that that really make my blood boil!

If that's the way you want to be, then fine!

You can take these forums and...

Oh, wait...

That was kinda funny...

:wub:

Hrm... that started off as a Jeff Foxworthy-ish list, but it turned out much more serious. Oh well... :)

You Might Be A Geocider If.... :wub:

That's it!

I'm done!

It's comments like that that really make my blood boil!

If that's the way you want to be, then fine!

You can take these forums and...

Oh, wait...

That was kinda funny...

:wub:

Tanks!

107436_3200.jpg

I find this insulting. I keep my self-importance inflated to the manufacturer's suggested level of 32psi.

But do you adjust it according to the weather and forum conditions? :D

I find this insulting. I keep my self-importance inflated to the manufacturer's suggested level of 32psi.

But do you adjust it according to the weather and forum conditions? :D

According to the guys on Car Talk, the difference in pressure in a 10 degree range is minimal. If you're getting flamed, however, the fire could increase the temp/pressure enough to be a problem.

I would like to know who "reported" it and why?

Judging from the logs it seemed to be well received. The archiving notice alluded to burying and/or defacing property. In the cache description, it says "BLM". Is that Bureau of Land Management? One of the logs mentions a pipe stuck in the ground. Was that the hide technique? If so, is that a good idea on a BLM property? Didn't we lose caching privileges in National Parks cuz of something like this? I haven't been to the cache you mentioned, and the NPS ban was way before my time, so I'm just guessing here.

I never thought I would have a reason to post in this thread until yesterday! :D

I took the time to go through all the motions, follow all the rules, and create my first Earthcache Prime Desert Woodland Preserve. The cache lasted less than one day, because a cacher who dislikes me, decided to SBA it.

For the longest time, I disliked Earthcaches. I decided to be more openminded, and try it for myself, only to have a local cacher ruin my effort.

I would like to know who "reported" it and why?

Judging from the logs it seemed to be well received. The archiving notice alluded to burying and/or defacing property. In the cache description, it says "BLM". Is that Bureau of Land Management? One of the logs mentions a pipe stuck in the ground. Was that the hide technique? If so, is that a good idea on a BLM property? Didn't we lose caching privileges in National Parks cuz of something like this? I haven't been to the cache you mentioned, and the NPS ban was way before my time, so I'm just guessing here.

The cache was well-hidden and made no impact on the rocky area around it . . . an area that is open to cattle grazing which defaces the land worse than this little cache did. :D

I think someone found it and decided to "turn it in," but I don't know . . .

I have found several buried caches, some of them five-gallon buckets and although I know that is against the guidelines, I would never inform a Reviewer or Groundspeak employee about them . . .

I took the time to go through all the motions, follow all the rules, and create my first Earthcache Prime Desert Woodland Preserve. The cache lasted less than one day, because a cacher who dislikes me, decided to SBA it.

For the longest time, I disliked Earthcaches. I decided to be more openminded, and try it for myself, only to have a local cacher ruin my effort.

This looks like a great cache. It also looks like the approver made a mistake. Mistaking botanical details for geological details is like mixing up cats and dogs. If this place is better included in Waymarking, then perhaps the virtual cache should also be archived. The thing about this is that there is not a good connection between geocaching and Waymarking. I think one spends time doing one or the other. It seems to me that every location has unique geological qualities. Even when it is just sand. Who’s to judge significance or importance? Did you ever just think of changing some of your criteria to geological details? This way you can satisfy the criteria for an earth cache. :D

I have found several buried caches, some of them five-gallon buckets and although I know that is against the guidelines, I would never inform a Reviewer or Groundspeak employee about them . . .

Great attitude. These illegal caches endanger our sport. Let's make sure we look the other way when we see them.

This looks like a great cache. It also looks like the approver made a mistake. Mistaking botanical details for geological details is like mixing up cats and dogs. If this place is better included in Waymarking, then perhaps the virtual cache should also be archived. The thing about this is that there is not a good connection between geocaching and Waymarking. I think one spends time doing one or the other. It seems to me that every location has unique geological qualities. Even when it is just sand. Who’s to judge significance or importance? Did you ever just think of changing some of your criteria to geological details? This way you can satisfy the criteria for an earth cache. :D

My problem was that the cache was approved while I was at work (for 16 hours), and I was unable to add pictures of the geological features, or add the more detailed geological narrative.

Edited by Kit Fox

................. and the Mayor having heard about caching now and being pretty progressive as well as politically savvy says, why don’t you put it back a bit closer to the greenway. Then I can tell Mr Golf Manager it’s on the greenway lands and away from the golf course. You get your cache, they get people on the path, the golf course gets their way and I get re-elected. Naturally you do that.

Proper response........ "Yeah, Earnie. Mayor xxx told me I should put it back there. Has he given you permission for any of your caches?"

3 viewpoints on this post.

1. Part one refers to those who think "No Trespassing" signs don't apply to them anymore than the Groudspeak guideline referring to getting property owner permission.

2. Part two, it isn't nice to call someone a fool.

3. If those referred to in part two are in the forums, we won't have to put up with them on the trails. :anicute:

Happy caching, y'all.

Great attitude. These illegal caches endanger our sport. Let's make sure we look the other way when we see them.

Agreed. If that cache was on BLM property, it could've ended caching all together on those properties. Land managers check into GCdotCom fairly regularly to see what impact caching has had on the community. In that particular case, they would've seen oodles of cachers logging about how great the cache was, even though it was an obvious guidelines violation. That land manager would undoubtedly remember all those who turned a blind eye the next time someone told them how "brave & honest" geocachers were. Considering the potential negative impact this cache could've had on our game, it's probably best that it's gone.

Agreed. If that cache was on BLM property, it could've ended caching all together on those properties. Land managers check into GCdotCom fairly regularly to see what impact caching has had on the community. In that particular case, they would've seen oodles of cachers logging about how great the cache was, even though it was an obvious guidelines violation. That land manager would undoubtedly remember all those who turned a blind eye the next time someone told them how "brave & honest" geocachers were. Considering the potential negative impact this cache could've had on our game, it's probably best that it's gone.

I found a 5-Gallon bucket buried one time but it was on the hider's land. So I figured an exception was given. But in the case of parks, rangers are often very strict. There are desert parks out here that they don't even permit cachers to pile up rocks. Digging a hole would really freak them out. But as far as burying caches most of us in California have found fake irrigation sprinklers and fake irrigation drains. Those are buried. I think many of us have found PVC pipes in the ground with a smaller PVC cache inside. Those are buried. However, there are so many exceptions made, how are we supposed to know if permission and an exception wasn't given for these caches? Exceptions are nice but they sure can muddy the water.... Edited by TrailGators