throwing down a challenge

I'm throwing a challenge to everyone that reads this post to hide a cache within the the next 7 days. starting 3-14-07 and ending midnight 3-21-07. it can be any size but if you make it a micro please make it interesting not just a LPC. I don't want to start a lame micro spew

you don't have to limit yourself to 1 cache. if you want you can do it like betting at poker...example: I hide 1 you hide 2. you saw my 1 and raise me 1. now I need to match it or raise it or fold. who wants to answer the challenge. I think this could be fun

I want to see how many of you will answer this. I hope all that read this does. I figured this is a good way to get more people to hide a few new caches.

I agree with Sbell...challenging a newbie into hiding a cache that he/she has no idea how to (A) hide (:laughing: maintain, how can that be helpful to our sport?? If that newbie (or even old salt for that matter) decides to place one in a sensitive location because they didn't read or follow the guidelines for placement, we could actually get a black-eye for their effort!

It's best to leave hiding caches to those that are READY to do so, I applaud your enthusiasm, but without those caches actually being QUALITY caches, what good comes (unless maybe the remote chance that someone could learn from the mistakes that are probably going to come from some of these "misguided" hides). OF COURSE...not all caches will be bad or problem hides, but the risk is there that one of those hides could end up under a mailbox, bridge near a post office or other sensitive location, on railroad tracks etc.

That said, I'm going out to close down some of my older caches...some were placed "pre-maturely" and I learned a LOT from those (thankfully, none were of the "black-eye" type), but the learning process cost some good vegetation, the ruins of a few rock piles that shouldn't have been disturbed as they were and some pristine lands were trampled that could have been treated better...our hides have effect on the environment and we need to pay close attention to those types of problems.

Sorry, I've got cache maintenance planned instead.

not everyone will accept this challenge but for the ones that do can only help geocaching

You may need to resume your intake of medication.

:laughing:<_<:laughing:

You do have to like what the OP is trying to do though. And he did say he didn't want "bad caches".

But I'm not holding my breath of anything. ;)

A Great cache should not be rushed - I would challenge people not to rush into an uninteresting lame Cache just meet the deadline of this challenge. Quality caches are more important! Quality trade items. Take me somewhere interesting. Somewhere muggles are not a problem. And Thank you so much! I love this sport.

Any cache hidden in sensetive areas is a BAD cache!! A cache under a bridge, near railroad tracks, near government buildings etc...is a bad cache. A cache placed without permission is a bad cache (most times)....a cache placed in a bad container (pipe bomb anyone) is a BAD cache...there are many examples!

Any cache hidden in sensetive areas is a BAD cache!! A cache under a bridge, near railroad tracks, near government buildings etc...is a bad cache. A cache placed without permission is a bad cache (most times)....a cache placed in a bad container (pipe bomb anyone) is a BAD cache...there are many examples!
What if the cache had explicit approval. How about if I place a cache that looks exactly like a nuclear warhead and I place it inside the local police station? Would that be bad? What if the CoP said it was OK?

BTW, what does a pipe bomb look like? Is it just a cylindrical item? Sort of like a stick? What if the item is camoed to look like a stick? What if it's hidden in the middle of the woods? or up a tree? or in the mayor's office?

Let's talk about bridges. When I was a kid, we lived on a beautiful piece of property in western NY. We had woods and apple orchards and a pond with a little creek leading to it. I remember that the creek had a little bridge over it made out of railroad ties. There was a huge snapping turtle under that bridge. What if I had a cache nearby? What if it was a tiny bridge going over our tiny road? What if it was placed by the Highway department next to a highway bridge?

Let's talk about railroad tracks. What if the tracks aren't active? What if there is a fence between the cache and the nearby active railroad tracks? What if you owned the railroad?

Who determines if a location is sensitive? Heck, I can be a little sensitive, at times. I still can find caches (on occasion).

Finally, let's talk about permission...

I hid one on the way home yesterday before I read this challenge thread. Does that count? :laughing:

It isn't published yet but I did submit it last night while I was watching TV.

I even got explicit permission. I thought it was a location that was OK for assumed adaquate permission, but while I was placing it, one of the property management sales VP's approaced me> He was hoping I was a prospect looking at the property. He knew a little bit about geocaching, and after we discussed my potential future interest in the property, gave his OK for the cache placement. :laughing:

slightly OT- it's actually a pretty good location for a restaurant-anyone out there wanna invest in me? <_<

Seriously sbell??? Are you really asking that question for a response or were you being FUNNY??? (I hope being funny) I guess maybe all one needs to do is READ the guidelines to answer most of those "questions".

Seriously though, if you're silly enough to place a container that hints of a bomb (I'll spell it out to you so you don't need to ask those funny questions...a PIPE-LIKE container with wires or a timer...the words "bomb" or anything of that nature BUT not limited to that type) you should be banned from caching and possibly tossed in the clink for awhile...we need that kind of black-eye like a hole in the head!

Luckily, we have reviewers to stop MOST of those cache examples you used (although I like the little bridge idea...as long as it were on private property )...I think we all understand that a cache hidden on, by or under a BRIDGE isn't going to get published, railroad tracks are off limits regardless of a fence (to a certain distance I believe) even if not in use (unless the tracks are removed and the area is designated public I think was what one of the mods stated a while back). And I'm not 100% sure, but if a cop were to OK such a cache as you mentioned, wouldn't our reviewers also have to give it their stamp of approval??? I don't think reviewers would allow that (wouldn't that be against the rules of hiding?????)...governemet buildings are off limits...right???

Also...if a CoP said the warhead in the police station WERE OK, I'd be asking for the guy's (or gal's) head on a platter, we NEED someone that silly working as the head of our police force all right!!! As with most ANYTHING in life, one should use COMMON SENSE!!!

I guess I must have lost you by not adding that caches should follow the rules and guidelines???? :rolleyes:

No, he said he didn't want lame micro spew...big difference from a bad cache!

Ok... yeah..... I just didn't want to turn this into a "micro spew rant" thread. :unsure:

I agree that cachers should give back to the community...but when they are ready to! Placing a cache has an effect on our sport...either good or bad...we don't need bad publicity from a bad hide!

What if the cache had explicit approval. How about if I place a cache that looks exactly like a nuclear warhead and I place it inside the local police station? Would that be bad? What if the CoP said it was OK?

BTW, what does a pipe bomb look like? Is it just a cylindrical item? Sort of like a stick? What if the item is camoed to look like a stick? What if it's hidden in the middle of the woods? or up a tree? or in the mayor's office?

Let's talk about bridges. When I was a kid, we lived on a beautiful piece of property in western NY. We had woods and apple orchards and a pond with a little creek leading to it. I remember that the creek had a little bridge over it made out of railroad ties. There was a huge snapping turtle under that bridge. What if I had a cache nearby? What if it was a tiny bridge going over our tiny road? What if it was placed by the Highway department next to a highway bridge?

Let's talk about railroad tracks. What if the tracks aren't active? What if there is a fence between the cache and the nearby active railroad tracks? What if you owned the railroad?

Who determines if a location is sensitive? Heck, I can be a little sensitive, at times. I still can find caches (on occasion).

Finally, let's talk about permission...

This what I was trying to aviod. :rolleyes:

To the OP: Sorry if my on topic comment drove this thread OFF TOPIC.

You didn't Totem...the OT was to hide caches, we're simply pointing out the problems with that!! You see, to hide a cache, one should KNOW how to best handle the situation!! While it is true that ANYONE can place a cache, should they??? If you're heading out to place a cache just because someone challenged you to, will that cache be well planned??? Will you maintain it?? Will it be hidden so as NOT to cause more trouble than the joys of it being found??? Will it be safe for EVERYONE to find (or at least have the warnings in place if it's an extreme cache) or will someone end up with missing digits or worse????

It isn't just as simple as grabbing a container and hiding it in a spot...or at least it shouldn't be!! Planning and thought need to be brought into this, some understanding of the area...and maybe even a PERMIT!!!

You didn't Totem...the OT was to hide caches, we're simply pointing out the problems with that!! You see, to hide a cache, one should KNOW how to best handle the situation!! While it is true that ANYONE can place a cache, should they??? If you're heading out to place a cache just because someone challenged you to, will that cache be well planned??? Will you maintain it?? Will it be hidden so as NOT to cause more trouble than the joys of it being found??? Will it be safe for EVERYONE to find (or at least have the warnings in place if it's an extreme cache) or will someone end up with missing digits or worse????

It isn't just as simple as grabbing a container and hiding it in a spot...or at least it shouldn't be!! Planning and thought need to be brought into this, some understanding of the area...and maybe even a PERMIT!!!

Trust me, I understand that. I'll be one of the first to defend proper cache placement. I just didn't want this to become a rant thread. As long as they are nice/good/proper/whatever you want say, anything that puts out more caches is good with me.

I'll shut up before I get it started again. :rolleyes:

Seriously sbell??? Are you really asking that question for a response or were you being FUNNY??? (I hope being funny) I guess maybe all one needs to do is READ the guidelines to answer most of those "questions".

Seriously though, if you're silly enough to place a container that hints of a bomb (I'll spell it out to you so you don't need to ask those funny questions...a PIPE-LIKE container with wires or a timer...the words "bomb" or anything of that nature BUT not limited to that type) you should be banned from caching and possibly tossed in the clink for awhile...we need that kind of black-eye like a hole in the head!

Luckily, we have reviewers to stop MOST of those cache examples you used (although I like the little bridge idea...as long as it were on private property )...I think we all understand that a cache hidden on, by or under a BRIDGE isn't going to get published, railroad tracks are off limits regardless of a fence (to a certain distance I believe) even if not in use (unless the tracks are removed and the area is designated public I think was what one of the mods stated a while back). And I'm not 100% sure, but if a cop were to OK such a cache as you mentioned, wouldn't our reviewers also have to give it their stamp of approval??? I don't think reviewers would allow that (wouldn't that be against the rules of hiding?????)...governemet buildings are off limits...right???

Also...if a CoP said the warhead in the police station WERE OK, I'd be asking for the guy's (or gal's) head on a platter, we NEED someone that silly working as the head of our police force all right!!! As with most ANYTHING in life, one should use COMMON SENSE!!!

I guess I must have lost you by not adding that caches should follow the rules and guidelines???? :rolleyes:

I was somewhat serious with my post. Also, I believe that every one of my examples would be approved by most reviewers under the current guidelines. Edited to add that I would likely have to submit evidence of the explicit permission and put very clear notes on my cache pages. Edited by sbell111

As soon as I gather up all those micros I placed in cemeteries, I'll hide another...besides, I have a great TT container that the great man sent me himself!!! I have an event coming up in May (camp/cache event...GC10ZVM...Lazy Hayes Days), I plan to hide another 10 or so caches to go with the dozen or more that I already have in place at that State Park!!!

TT...Tommy Trojan!!! Although I'm sure you're a great man (you are a man right???) I meant Tommy!!

He sent me one of his large ammo boxes that was called Gen Patton or something!! It was in front of The Patton Museum I believe!!

If you want to send a container though, I'd be happy to put it to good use!!! :rolleyes:

If my general pissiness at this idea did not bleed through well enough in my earlier post, I choose to take this opportunity to say that I frown on most "challenges" in general as being moronic tools for the propagation of the lowest common denominator of behaviors to the lower echelons of the masses, aka the lumpen proletariat; in other words, to those people who already have a problem thinking for themselves and steering their lives in a sane and coherent manner. And, I see this current "challenge" as no exception to that generalization. We already have more than enough caches out there already in almost all parts of the USA, and worse, we have a massive surplus of mindless moronic caches out there, including many of those which have been labeled as "lame urban micros" or as "micro spew", and I feel that the LAST thing which we REALLY need is for someone to pop their head up and encourage other cachers to emplace a new geocache simply for the sake of emplacing a geocache in response to a "challenge". Wow! How fun! Let's encourage people who could not emplace a good cache if their lives depended upon it to go out and emplace a lame cache! Wow! That would be much akin to issuing a "challenge" to the major TV networks to come up with a few more mindless moronic TV serials for weekday evening fare. sigh!

Late postscript: A geo-friend who noticed this post just contacted me to tell me that when she first saw the "challenge" posted by the OP, it reminded her of nothing more than the mindless and destructive behaviours moronic frat boys in college (and the local mountain bikers, most of whom seem to be hell-bent on becoming alcoholics) who, upon hitting the bars at night, issue a "challenge" to each other to drink as much alcohol and ingest as many drugs as possible between that hour and midnight. You know what? I agree with her 150%! My first gut reaction upon hearing an announcement of ANY challenge is: "Oh no! Is this one more example of the lowest commeon denominator of thought, feeling and behavior trying to propagate itself in human society again?"

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Truly...I wish someone would take up the cache hiding torch around here, I have found almost all that I will do (I'm no puzzle lover though). My caching has gone WAY down since I've stopped spending fortunes for gas just to get to an area with a few caches to find! I've done my part, now maybe someone will give me something to find as well!!!

To those who look down on challenges, I would suggest studying a little organizational behavior. Those who have, the leaders in the field, will agree that any organization can be strengthened if challenges are given as part of a tean effort to accomplish something. I believe that is what this challenge is - an oppurtunity to get a few more caches out there for the benefit of the community. That is of course, assuming that the caches themselves are designed to be benefitial, and that all of the nay-sayers and negative attitudes do not cut the good intention off at the knees.

a bad attitude spreads like a plague - and has about the same effect.

Well WJFC....that's all fine and good, an office full of trained employees ARE better motivated at a challenge (they are all TRAINED and know what is expected of them), telling the forums to go hide a bunch of caches is a bit different. Telling a mass group to go out and do something that some have never tried before is more likely to hinder the caching world rather than help. Bad publicity from a well intended challenge isn't a good thing!

I'd challenge you to something a bit more like...attend at least 5 events, find at least a 3/3 cache, find 50 LPCs (after that, you'll be good and tired of them), do a 5+ mile cache, find 50 urban caches (not LPCs), find 50 wilderness caches, attend at least 2 CITO events and THEN place a hide! IF I were to challenge someone that is. That way, you'd at least have a bit of an idea as to what caches are going to work and what would be a problem...but even that won't really do it!

edit to add: hey...I don't meet these requirements. I haven't been to a single CITO yet! And I'll be jiggered if I'm doing 50 LPCs....

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Not everyone on this forum lives in USA.

I think a good location gets you to stop and see something new and interesting that you would not have known about otherwise.

My first find was a micro and it wasn't dumb or boring.

It took me to a park in my town that used to be something before it was a park. There was a monument and stopped and read up on some of our towns history. There was no space for anything other than a micro.

Compare that to my third find which was not a micro but was just hidden in a tree in a park with no interesting features. I was glad of the find and did have to look hard to find it but you can't say it is automaticly the better because it wasn't a micro and the other was.

I would love to take up your challenge but know I am not ready to yet.

When I have found a place that I think worth stoping to see I will probably get someone local with experince to help me place my first one.

I agree with Sbell...challenging a newbie into hiding a cache that he/she has no idea how to (A) hide (:unsure: maintain, how can that be helpful to our sport?? If that newbie (or even old salt for that matter) decides to place one in a sensitive location because they didn't read or follow the guidelines for placement, we could actually get a black-eye for their effort!

It's best to leave hiding caches to those that are READY to do so, I applaud your enthusiasm, but without those caches actually being QUALITY caches, what good comes (unless maybe the remote chance that someone could learn from the mistakes that are probably going to come from some of these "misguided" hides). OF COURSE...not all caches will be bad or problem hides, but the risk is there that one of those hides could end up under a mailbox, bridge near a post office or other sensitive location, on railroad tracks etc.

That said, I'm going out to close down some of my older caches...some were placed "pre-maturely" and I learned a LOT from those (thankfully, none were of the "black-eye" type), but the learning process cost some good vegetation, the ruins of a few rock piles that shouldn't have been disturbed as they were and some pristine lands were trampled that could have been treated better...our hides have effect on the environment and we need to pay close attention to those types of problems.

YEAAAAAAA!!!! someone agrees with me :rolleyes::P:) Some time ago I challenged folks to place a cache that was better than one of their current caches then achive the lesser one. Basically got boooed off the stage, but I still feel that better caches, not more caches will improve the caching experience.

Rockin, first i think you might be giving "an office full of trained employees" a little too much credit - but that is a side note.

The real issue here is that Sneaky Pete presented a challenge; a mature group would have said things like "That is a great idea, but let us add the stipulation that the cache must meet a high level of quality and ......etc." thus adding the challenge and making a good experience for all involved.

Instead we get comments like: "You may need to resume your intake of medication" which, by the way, is much more socially irresponsible then placing a bad cache.

I published one a week ago, and another about one week before that, and 2 more the week before that. The night cache took quite awhile to get all finished. And I have another in the works so likely won't get anything out this week. B)

I ran out of prepared containers but have another 9 more in the works. Stocking swag and painting now.

OH, I may get a CITO event published this week, would that count? Just recieved clearance from the parks dept this morning. :P