GSAK vs EasyGPS

GrateBear

EasyGPS is a simple way to send waypoints to your GPS. You can change some of the waypoint data, but it is very limited in this respect. Its good for beginners, or people who just want a quick and easy way to transfer waypoints to their GPS. I used EasyGPS for nearly 5 years and was very happy with it.

GSAK is a powerful app that allows you to build databases of caches and manipulate the data in numerous ways. Its more for advanced users who want a robust app to manage their waypoints. I've been using it for a few months now and have just barely scratched the surface of what it can do.

Edited by briansnat

EasyGPS is just that, an Easy way to transfer waypoints to your GPSr.

GSAK is a super-powerful database program with which you can slice and dice and filter your cache data any way you want. From GSAK you can send the waypoints to your GPSr, giving the waypoints a "smart name" that also tells you the Type and Size of the cache as well as the Difficulty and Terrain. It will also put the hint on your GPSr, if it will accept the text.

From GSAK you can Export in the correct format for your mapping program and in the correct format for your PDA so you can cache "Paperless."

Check out this little tutorial for some of the rudimentary things the program can do. :laughing:

I looked at EasyGPS but thought it doesn't support the free LOC files from geocaching.com. Does EasyGPS support sending LOC files to your GPS? Or importing them into its own DB and sending them to the GPS?

GSAK does support the LOC files, and that's what I use.

Edited by chuckr30

I looked at EasyGPS but thought it doesn't support the free LOC files from geocaching.com. Does EasyGPS support sending LOC files to your GPS? Or importing them into its own DB and sending them to the GPS?

GSAK does support the LOC files, and that's what I use.

EasyGPS does support Loc files. I have just started caching and EasyGPS is what I use ( but I use the gpx from pocket queries now that I can get them) along with CACHEmate to send to my PALM. We are having a lot of fun as both are extremely simple.

I have a Garmin 60CSx and two Foretrex 101s. One of the nice features of GSAK is the "Smartname". I have a collection of settings setup for 14 character names for the 60CSx and download to the GPSr. With a simple mouse click have it load another predefined collection of settings and make a new set of 6 character names for Foretrex and also setup GSAK for serial instead of USB. GSAK is very flexible. I briefly looked at EasyGPS but decided I liked the feature set of GSAK. There is also great support from the developer.