New Kid on the Block, WAYUAT?

icetoad

Ma and I have been kicking this thing around and are waiting for some dye artwork. In the meantime, just wondered if yall wanted to bash it to death before we even got started:) It will sell pre-order when it starts. This one is just the first in a series of wayuats, among other ideas. And Please don't give away anything you figure out about this coin? Please? If you're dying to know, just send me a pm and I'll confirm it for you. This is not a finished work by any means. In fact, there's rumors that a lynch mob has been forming at the minters due to all the changes...

wayuatsmfront.jpgwayuatsmback.jpg

1.5 inches, don't know about finishes yet, don't know about dates yet. Just want to get beat up over the design so my self image can crash again <_<

Dude, you need to completely re-work that design. It just won't work. The art, the rose... and that toad... Who puts a toad on a geocoin? I mean sheesh guy, shape up or ship out. That's what I say. I don't get it, I don't like it and to tell you the truth... What ever you're sellin...I ain't buyin. :unsure:

ok...ok.. I'm only kidding. You asked to get beat up, right? :P:(

I think it's kind of cool actually. The "compass rose" design seems to be really popular, and I like the toad too. I don't know if they can "shade" the toad like it's pictured there, but I'm sure you'll get all that worked out soon enough. I'm not really a fan of glitter enamels, but I really like it when the glitter is used on the compass rose designs. That just makes it "pop" in my opinion.

Now, I'm not saying copy another coin either, it's just an opinion

I'll be interested in seeing the final artwork and the samples, but yeah, I would probably buy a few. <_<

Ma and I have been kicking this thing around and are waiting for some dye artwork. In the meantime, just wondered if yall wanted to bash it to death before we even got started:) It will sell pre-order when it starts. This one is just the first in a series of wayuats, among other ideas. And Please don't give away anything you figure out about this coin? Please? If you're dying to know, just send me a pm and I'll confirm it for you. This is not a finished work by any means. In fact, there's rumors that a lynch mob has been forming at the minters due to all the changes...

1.5 inches, don't know about finishes yet, don't know about dates yet. Just want to get beat up over the design so my self image can crash again :P

I like the little characters a lot and a rose is always nice. You asked for critique though so here are some things for mulling over <_<

I can see you're already running into something I hit pretty often which is the text parts trying to fit into the limited space between the 90 marks of the compass. If you move your compass points into the rose itself you'll give yourself a lot more room to play. Alternately, you can really push the envelope and move the outer ring like on the back into and overlapping the points of the rose. It will again give you more freedom while giving you a new and unusual way to display a compass rose. Your compass points can reach all the way to the edge of the coin then and it will allow for even more room for your mascott because the center space of the rose will increase with it.

Keep in mind metal while you're designing too. Silver for white, gold for yellow, nickel for black, etc. The metal is going to be there so think about it early and it can make your design really pop. Balance is tough, but it can be achieved. A good reference would be to look at the 2006 and 2007 compass rose coins. The metals are part of the coloring in the art and not just raised edges holding in color.

Last bit of advice is don't be afraid to overlap BIG. You have a really nice look already because of some of the nice overlaps of the toad over existing art. Really explore it though. See just how much you can overlap. One of the fun games designers play in school is to take the smallest part of an image and guess what the rest of it is. You'd be amazed how many people recognize a McDonald's logo from just some shiny gold next to shiny red plastic. That's an extreme, but it makes a point. Your toad could cover up as much as 80% of either side and we'd still see that you have a nice compass rose in the background.

This is all subjective to personal taste and what kind of look you're going for, but you're off on a really strong start and appear to already be taking some risks so I say keep going. You can make an awful lot of changes before it's cast, but after that it gets expensive so take your time and make sure you're really, really happy with the results. I know this is a coin I'll be watching closely though. Good job :unsure:

1.5 inches, don't know about finishes yet, don't know about dates yet. Just want to get beat up over the design so my self image can crash again :P

I like the little characters a lot and a rose is always nice. You asked for critique though so here are some things for mulling over <_<

I can see you're already running into something I hit pretty often which is the text parts trying to fit into the limited space between the 90 marks of the compass. If you move your compass points into the rose itself you'll give yourself a lot more room to play. Alternately, you can really push the envelope and move the outer ring like on the back into and overlapping the points of the rose. It will again give you more freedom while giving you a new and unusual way to display a compass rose. Your compass points can reach all the way to the edge of the coin then and it will allow for even more room for your mascott because the center space of the rose will increase with it.

Keep in mind metal while you're designing too. Silver for white, gold for yellow, nickel for black, etc. The metal is going to be there so think about it early and it can make your design really pop. Balance is tough, but it can be achieved. A good reference would be to look at the 2006 and 2007 compass rose coins. The metals are part of the coloring in the art and not just raised edges holding in color.

Last bit of advice is don't be afraid to overlap BIG. You have a really nice look already because of some of the nice overlaps of the toad over existing art. Really explore it though. See just how much you can overlap. One of the fun games designers play in school is to take the smallest part of an image and guess what the rest of it is. You'd be amazed how many people recognize a McDonald's logo from just some shiny gold next to shiny red plastic. That's an extreme, but it makes a point. Your toad could cover up as much as 80% of either side and we'd still see that you have a nice compass rose in the background.

This is all subjective to personal taste and what kind of look you're going for, but you're off on a really strong start and appear to already be taking some risks so I say keep going. You can make an awful lot of changes before it's cast, but after that it gets expensive so take your time and make sure you're really, really happy with the results. I know this is a coin I'll be watching closely though. Good job :unsure:

So this is how your designs turn out so nice??Some excellent tips from a seasoned expert!!

I love getting beat up when it's like that. Thanks, and even if I don't use the ideas this time, I most definately plan on using at least most of them at some time or other. I think my biggest problem at this point is that I can't see the finished produce, and I don't have enough experience yet to imagine it.

so, you think it's okay from an english major who can't draw a lick?

thanks for all the ideas and you can all rest assured, as she grows, you'll see.

You can definitely use different fonts. Many coins have the same basic Futura or Helvetica style, but there litterally thousands to choose from. :laughing:

I'm a sucker for Bookman Old Style. I just love the look of the serif. Gee, maybe my kids are right, maybe I was around during the 1700's:)

You can definitely use different fonts. Many coins have the same basic Futura or Helvetica style, but there litterally thousands to choose from. :laughing:

I'm a sucker for Bookman Old Style. I just love the look of the serif. Gee, maybe my kids are right, maybe I was around during the 1700's:)

Look into it more then. Bookman is available in multiple styles including a bold, semi-bold, italic, etc. It's a nice strong font for an all caps text when it's in the bold or semi-bold. :laughing:

I really like the way this one is shaping up! Cute frog!

Okay, for the record :D

Dey ain't frawgs, dey's toads. :unsure:

Frawgs ain't got dem cute warts, and da girls don't sing. :)

Boy toads ask wayuat, and da girls sing, I's here. :rolleyes:

Ha, ha! I finally figured out how to pronounce WAYUAT! :P

Edited by MommyFinder
I really like the way this one is shaping up! Cute frog!

Okay, for the record :wub:

Dey ain't frawgs, dey's toads. :)

Frawgs ain't got dem cute warts, and da girls don't sing. :wub:

Boy toads ask wayuat, and da girls sing, I's here. ;)

Ha, ha! I finally figured out how to pronounce WAYUAT! :huh:

Now I get it! I'm glad I gave you the opportunity to give your little wayuat speech. That just made the value of your coin go up! :) Now I'll have to buy 3 instead of just 2!

I love it! Any chance the girl toad can look a little more "feminine"? A little pinkish color somewhere, maybe. I can't wait to see the final coin (and own one or two!) :)

as i sit bleary eyed at the desk, photoshop loaded, forgive the obvious shaky pixels, but here's an attempt. :Dwayuatbackfem.gif

sorry Frozen Buns - preferred the female toad without all the pink stuff....

Sue

Yeah, I think I'll save her for another coin. I also think I'll wait for die artwork to come back before I look at any changes. I only hope my specs can be incorporated.

Waiting with baited breath.

I've always hated it when you eat worms.

:D

Well I have to admit I am not a pink frilly sort of person, just wanted to make sure everyone knew she was a SHE. Since Moun10girl says anything guys can do, we can do better and in style :D

I'm getting closer to the end design, but it's not quite right yet. Also can't seem to get everything I want from the minters. They just can't do what they just can't do. I'm looking into making the compass rose spikes 2 tiered. (they say they can't color 3d after all.) The boy toad will be the new size if it can. The girl toad will be larger as well. (great ideas came to me from this forum, thank you.)

I'm am strongly considering having the coin made as a cutout and would like some input into that idea. (cutout around the compass rose spikes. still a round coin.)

Motherinlaw has spoken. She says I have to do something to feminize the female toad so everybody will know she's a girl. I think I agree. Mominlaw says don't make her a frilly girl, just make sure everybody knows she's a girl. And she hated the lipstick:) said it made her look like a hussy. Maybe a bonnet? if so, what color? Little help here.

I'm on the road today and tomorrow, I'll try to put up some pictures tonight or tomorrow night.

Okay, possibly the final design. Font is bookman old style at largest size outer ring can take without distorting the coin.

compass rose is 2 D, and I am trying to get it as a 2 level design. Toad's are 3 D. added pink to feminize the girl toad. added some warts cause a toad ain't a toad without warts :huh:

I've opted for larger toads instead of cutout. Need to have some more input. Is this better, worse, no change from original design? May go to 1 5/8 instead of 1 1/2.

FINALFRONT.gifFINALBACK.gif

Edited by icetoad

Okay, possibly the final design. Font is bookman old style at largest size outer ring can take without distorting the coin.

compass rose is 2 D, and I am trying to get it as a 2 level design. Toad's are 3 D. added pink to feminize the girl toad. added some warts cause a toad ain't a toad without warts :anitongue:

I've opted for larger toads instead of cutout. Need to have some more input. Is this better, worse, no change from original design? May go to 1 5/8 instead of 1 1/2.

FINALFRONT.gifFINALBACK.gif

think I would rather lavendar and purple, still fem. without being too pink?

Edited by Frozen Buns

OK, now I am confused you have ICE TOAD HISSELF on the newest design so is he still a he on the back or now a she? thought this was 2 coins originally, did I miss something? :anitongue:

OK edited to admit I totally lost the WAYUAT in the tiny letters and kind of lost the I's Here in the dark red print, uh,

Edited by Frozen Buns

Early one of the things mentioned in design work is let some of the design blead off edge, maybe you could do that with part of the guys compass, we'd still know what it is and lettering on center section could be bigger.

I know, you must be getting tired of changes but it seems you are soooooo close, please make sure you reserve 4 for me? I know a few "toads" who cache. :anitongue:

Latest images, first shot at die art, there will be a few changes. Just wanted to update everyone. I've chosen Hogwild coins to be my supplier. And I'm glad I did. Talk about patience, they've been really patient with me and all my changes. A decent group for all of you thinking about getting coins minted, they're really helpful and will answer your questions with honesty.

I won't start a list until I get samples...but it's getting closer to being finished. Haven't decided on size yet. Finishes I'm looking at is antique gold, antique copper, antique silver, bronze, copper, or gold.

I like it.

What do YOU think so far?

IcetoadHW.jpg

Edited by icetoad