What do you do with your coins?

rasj & Stacey

A few days ago, I was cleaning out the garage, and I came across some scrap wood that was left over from a previous project. I was about to toss out the wood, because they were fairly small pieces and I didn't see a use for them at the time.

For some reason, at that very moment, I thought of a TV interview I saw with Mr. Loggerhead a while back. In the background, was a nice display cabinet with what appeared to be a truck load of geocoins inside. So I swiped the wood across the table saw a few times, and splashed on some stain and polyurethane. The stain matches my bookcase pretty good, so i stuck a few coins in there to see how it would look. I think they look kind of neat in there, all lined up like soldiers on review. It makes me want to buy some larger pieces of wood, and make some nice ones for a permanant display.

So how many folks in here display their coins, and how do you display them? Inquiring minds want to know!

Here's a couple of shots at the "prototypes" please excuse the camera phone pics, and the shoddy craftsmanship. <_<

2.jpg

3.jpg

I just keep them in a small box and look at them every couple days or so but I only have 5 coins so far and don't know what I would do if I had more. I think I will display them though in a similar way as you (but maybe in a stepped display) in my little corner of the house where the computer is and my library and such once I get a few more coins added.

I see your Tombstone Justice coin, you don't really want that one do you? <_<

Nice display. Right now mine just sit in a rubbermaid container.

I like that Tombstone coin alot too, but will have to remain a dream coin for me. Wouldn't mind even just getting the icon at least if I could ever find one. I have only ever seen one coin in the wild other then the 2 coins I set free. I dunno where all these coins go to but they aren't where I go geocaching thats for sure.

Edited by Jay Mills

I see your Tombstone Justice coin, you don't really want that one do you? <_<

Nice display. Right now mine just sit in a rubbermaid container.

I think I'm going to keep it. :unsure: It's te second geocoin that I ever owned, and it also represents one mf my favorite movies. Besides, it's activated. When I started buying coins, I was so excited that I immediately activated them upon arrival just to see the cool icon. Needless to say, I no longer do that. :P

I love this activity, using modern technology, finding items no other person would even dream of going out of the way to locate, and collecting coins which are creations of art work only cachers can truely appreciate.

Here is my storage and display case I started using as well as taking to events or gatherings.

Slippery_1's Coin Box Bug

First event it's going to is this weekend.

Oh ya this should make it a lot easier now going through Airport customs now.

Edited by slippery_1

I have one of the three ring binders with pages from trading card collections. One geocoin per 'card' slot, so 9 coins per page. It gets really heavy, and I cannot even appreciate them most of the time.

But definitely before I can make any kind of display for my geocoins, I have to make one for my wife's cameo collection, which she started well before I even dreamed of caching let alone geocoins. <_<

So how many folks in here display their coins, and how do you display them? Inquiring minds want to know!

I stuff mine away in a box only to be seen when I move :unsure: (I had this posted in another thread so I thought I would shareit here).

DSC_1330.jpg

<_< holy smokes. i have yet to find a way to display my increasingly growing coin collection thanks to castle man getting hooked

Where did you get those coin holders and coin pages, Damenance?

Where did you get those coin holders and coin pages, Damenance?

Most of ours are in zipper binders...bought at Office Max. I bought our pages from somewhere online, but I cannot remember where...

I bought the binders at Walmart and the pages and flips from The Caching Place. You can buy the pages and flips from any coin shop or as mentioned there are many places on the net as well. JP's Corner comes to mind when I think of a good place online, I believe this is the store I have used in the past ( I think they changed the layout of their webpage, so I do not recognize it.)

At some point (shortly after starting collecting) I started to get coins quicker that I could purchase binders. I had to make a decision on weather to purchase binders or more coins, you can see the decision I made. So currently I have resorted to the box method for means of displaying.

Edited by Damenace

DSC_1330.jpg

I bought a binder on sale for $3.50 at a office store not bad I think since it was $15.00. I also got the card pages for the coins. Only prob I have is they don't stay in the pages. Any help with that. I see white paper or cardboard in yours does that help any? Besides sliding out the pages bend over. I need help with this project. Or should I just forget the binder and put them back in the ammo box?

I stapled the coin flips closed, the real problem I had was that the plastic sleeves where not durable enough to withstand the weight involved, some of my slots are torn.

The real problem with displaying coins is you acquire so many in such a short amount of time that any method you choose can be very expensive. These display cases are really cool, I bought a few of them. Again expensive if you are trying to diplays all your coins. Mine turned into a shot glass rack (another hobby not worth mentioning).

What do I do with coins? I try to release them!

The others sit around waiting for me to do something with them

coin%20storage.jpg

I have another storage box or two somewhere. :P

<_< ROFLMAO :unsure: . I had the top of a dresser that looked like that when I was trying to recycle envelopes. Ditched those efforts and bought new, much easier to organize.

I stuff mine away in a box only to be seen when I move <_< (I had this posted in another thread so I thought I would shareit here).

DSC_1330.jpg

WHOA!!!!! I Think I Pee'd Myself Alittle! My collectin woudln't even fill half a page lol. Very Nice! I wanna be like you when I grow up.

I keep mine in coin pages inside 3-ring binders. To hold the coins in the coin pages, I bought some foam sheets and cut them into squares the size of each holder. I then cute a hole (or the shape of the coin) and put the coin in the middle. It works really well - the only ones that I sometimes have to slip back into place are the really thick coins (UOTrackers and Magic 8 Ball).

White.jpg

Black.jpg

I keep mine in coin pages inside 3-ring binders. To hold the coins in the coin pages, I bought some foam sheets and cut them into squares the size of each holder. I then cute a hole (or the shape of the coin) and put the coin in the middle. It works really well - the only ones that I sometimes have to slip back into place are the really thick coins (UOTrackers and Magic 8 Ball).

White.jpg

Black.jpg

Very Kewl I wanna see more like this. More, I Say More!

White.jpg

Black.jpg

I like the foam look, my problem is spending the money on all the supplies to do 900+ coins :laughing: . How many binders and pages would that be?

I like the foam look, my problem is spending the money on all the supplies to do 900+ coins :laughing: . How many binders and pages would that be?

Wow! Dennis - that certainly would be a HUGE amount of work!!!

I actually started with the same coin flips you have, but I read about the foam sheets in another thread and thought I'd give that a try. When I started doing that, I only had about 70 coins, so it wasn't too much work! Now I just set them up as I receive them.

By the way, I have a bunch of new coin flips which I've never used, if you like, I can send them to you.

Edited by The 4 F's

coin%20storage.jpg

I have another storage box or two somewhere. ;)

Thank God! I'm not the only one!! :)

:P;):P

I've got two binders full, a pile of envelopes like this, and 2 of those 3 drawer plastic storage systems that have drawers to hold a 500 sheet pack of printer paper (Only 1 empty drawer left! ;) )

One day I'm gonna get around to getting serious about organizing them. B);)

A few weeks ago I got to wondering about when a coin I had ordered was going to arrive. :P

A few days later I got my Geoswag Coin & Pin Club shipment. When I opened the drawer to drop it in, there was the coin I had ordered. :laughing: I didn't even remember getting it! B)

Now that's bad!! :laughing:<_<

D-man B)

Currently in 3 boxes - one for keeps, one for trades and one for coins waiting to be activated and released. We had thought about the coin pages and had tried sticky tape to hold the slot closed. But I missed the touchy feely of the coins themselves (sorry!!).. I like the idea of the foam to hold the coins in place - think we've thrown the coin pages out now - oh well.

Sue

What I really wanna know is how you have this coin:

2.jpg

:laughing: As far as I know and when I go to Crakes site, these coins are still in Preorder Reservation mode. How do you have one??? <_< I am anxiously awaiting these ones going on sale.

CF30

I got them from the CSA (Crake secret agent) :laughing:

J/K you can buy them from his site now. They are in stock. Try Here

My coins are in zipper binders, about 13 of them to be exact. Most pages are the 20-up 2x2, but I have some of the 16-up sheets from the caching place and the 9-up baseball card sheets. All of the smaller coins are in the cardboard flips. I started with the foam, but it will take awhile to finish due to the expense and time involved.

What I really wanna know is how you have this coin:

*SNIP* The Midnight Rose coin circled...*SNIP*

:laughing: As far as I know and when I go to Crakes site, these coins are still in Preorder Reservation mode. How do you have one??? <_< I am anxiously awaiting these ones going on sale.

CF30

Ah, Crowesfeat...LOL...I got the whole set of Roses sitting before me also!

Crake had a presale a ways back...you could pay for them then...I think it was a month or so ago...I received mine last week...Thursday, I believe.

Here's my skimpy collection...with the Three Roses...just for you, Crowesfeat! :laughing:

HPIM2299.jpg

EDIT:: Hey Fox & Hound, show this post to the better half :laughing:

OK OK,, I have to admit I am way behind the game in placing my coins in proper binders. I started with a few 3 ring binders, did not like the way they worked out so I started to to place them all in Tupperware bins for the moment :laughing: Glad to see I'm not alone ;)

Plans are to get zippered binders proper page sleves and foam to use for coin cutouts per shape and place in categories , Personal , State, Event, ETC, Have lots of work to do, the influx of coins will make this a continuous chore ahead.

This is where I am at now <_< soon to change, This weekend to a coin shop local, and to wally mart for some zipper binders. Glenn

coinbins.jpg

Edited by glennk721

EDIT:: Hey Fox & Hound, show this post to the better half B)

OK OK,, I have to admit I am way behind the game in placing my coins in proper binders. I started with a few 3 ring binders, did not like the way they worked out so I started to to place them all in Tupperware bins for the moment :P Glad to see I'm not alone B)

Plans are to get zippered binders proper page sleves and foam to use for coin cutouts per shape and place in categories , Personal , State, Event, ETC, Have lots of work to do, the influx of coins will make this a continuous chore ahead.

This is where I am at now B) soon to change, This weekend to a coin shop local, and to wally mart for some zipper binders. Glenn

coinbins.jpg

Send them up here to me in Wisconsin I would be thrilled to sort them all for ya B) They would be as safe with me as they would be in the hands of Jesus. :P Would be great to fondle so many coins and see them up close but ya gotta let me log the discoverys on them. Boy would that be a list. :P

Ok, there's no way I'm putting my self-imposed-disaster (office) on here, but I just remembered to take a shot while take a pic of a traveler a moment ago before setting it free this weekend. Here's the display that is far from complete, but I'm quickly running out of space and still have about 10 new ones to set out B)

Awesome! I love it. I have been sitting here drooling on my keyboard over all of the coins pictured in this post. I can safely say that I want about half of the ones I've seen so far. I only have about 150 coins, so my collection is fairly small. I wouldn't know what to do If I had as many coins as some of you. I can only imagine what they all weigh. :P