This starting to annoy me

<RANT Mode - ON>

I have been noting with surprised interest recently, how many times cachers are logging the same cache, over and over again - legitimately!

In particular: Ye Ole Survey Monuments GC45CC

I just find it to be a way to boost the numbers without actually 'caching'. I understand that they are different places and different monuments but ......

</RANT>

Well I guess it is a grandfathered cache, and looks rather interesting. I don't see any problem with it as long as it keeps on the move; preferably over the whole country.

Surely, whether folks log it more than once is up to them, they have probably put the effort in to seek it in different places.

I think it is an interesting concept, and no, I haven't logged it ... yet! But I just might if I happen to be in close proximity and the terrain is suitable.

It's a novelty in this varied game of ours, breathe deeply and move on! :)

...I just find it to be a way to boost the numbers without actually 'caching'. I understand that they are different places and different monuments but ......

</RANT>

[/size][/font][/size][/font][/b]

Have you logged the cache yourself? :)

It works a lot like a virtual cache but one that moves about. I've only logged it once, when it was at a trigpoint close to another cache I was doing.

You have to visit each location to get info from it before you can log it (same as a virual) - so you are actually "caching" and having to visit the location. You can't just do it from an armchair :blink::(

On a similar note, I adopted a cache recently and relocated it.

Would it be legitimate to relog this ?

What is cache etiquette on this ?

If you've already logged it before you adopted it - I would say that would be fine and people wouldn't have any argument. :)

To log a find on the cache after you've adopted it, regardless whether you have moved it or not would probably be viewed unfavourably :blink: (unless you hadn't found it before the adoption)

Edited by Nediam

We've logged the YOSM cache several times as this is the whole idea of the cache - there is even a scoreboard encouraging you to do so (or there was last time I looked).

In each case we've taken time to go and find the trigpoint in question and have posted photos of us at the trigpoint to prove our visit.

It's nothing to do with boosting numbers or anything like that - it's everything to do with logging the cache in the way it was intended and playing the game in a way that suits us :).

This is the only cache that I know of where you are supposed to log it multiple times.

edited to add that I could count on two hands the number of times we've logged the YOSM cache - if we were after numbers then we could easily find 10+ caches to log which would take a lot less time than it did to visit the handful of trigpoints we've logged for the YOSM cache :blink:

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

I decided to log it just once, when there was a benchmark to be found that was quite close to me. It was my choice to log it once, and it's no skin off my nose if others log it 10, 20 or even 100 times. It's their stats, not mine :)

I decided to log it just once, when there was a benchmark to be found that was quite close to me. It was my choice to log it once, and it's no skin off my nose if others log it 10, 20 or even 100 times. It's their stats, not mine :)

I agree.... I only logged YOSM once and have no plans to log it again.

This is because I just don't get as much satisfaction out of a virtual type cache as I do a traditional. But everyone plays the game differently so I have no problem if people want to log it 1 time or 100.

I've logged it a couple of times. Different places, a grandfathered cache which specifically encourges multi-finds -but not at the same location- I really don't see what the problem with it is. If you don't like it, don't log it (and I was with you when you found it, and you seemed happy enough at the time :):blink: )

With this cache although you are logging multiple finds you cannot log the same survey monument more than once. Having logged this one more than most it is not about numbers if you want numbers there are far easier ways of boosting your finds than travelling many miles to log this one.

I travel quite a lot with my job and for me this cache gives something different to do when out and about with work and as a bonus the views you get from the trig points are some of the best in the country.

Andy

I've logged it a couple of times. Different places, a grandfathered cache which specifically encourges multi-finds -but not at the same location- I really don't see what the problem with it is. If you don't like it, don't log it (and I was with you when you found it, and you seemed happy enough at the time :):blink: )

One GC waypoint number, one find, one log! No intention of logging it again.

<RANT Mode - ON>

I have been noting with surprised interest recently, how many times cachers are logging the same cache, over and over again - legitimately!

I just find it to be a way to boost the numbers without actually 'caching'. I understand that they are different places and different monuments but ......

</RANT>

For one who hasn't logged it what do I have to do? do I wait until the additional waypoint is near me or can I log any trig point on it?

I wondered that too before we first did the cache so emailed the cache owner. The reply I got was

"John

There are 209 that can be logged. If you download the GPX file that will give you the list that can be found. They can be found at any time. I add new one to the page and the older ones end up in the GPX file.

Brian"

For one who hasn't logged it what do I have to do? do I wait until the additional waypoint is near me or can I log any trig point on it?

Never logged a virtual or a locationless or a webcam or an earthcache. If you look at some of the older really high numbers cachers (us ones mainly) they had an encyclopedic knowledge of all the locationless and semi locationless virtual caches.

At least we dont have problems like this USA event cache where every temporary event only cache entitled attendees to log additional found its on the event just scroll down the page to see what i mean :)

I take it is is your new mantra, or maybe one that applies to others and not yourself?

You've logged GCPQDW, GCRK67, GCR1NR & GC7A5A twice each.

Your log for GCRK67:

As I was returning to the car, I received a txt from Alibags saying that the cache had been replaced with a DIFFERENT container.

I realised that I had found the original. Phoned Ali who gave me the info on the new cache and asked me to retrieve the old one. So a while later I returned to look for the new one. (especially as I have permission to log it TWICE).

Great hide, easily found. Log signed. Took pet name holder. left 40p.

TFTC

Oss!

Your don't appear too upset at being able to log it TWICE then.

Point is, everyone plays the game their own way, the setter has given explicit permission for multiple logs on YOSM, so they are entitled to do so.

<RANT Mode - ON>

</RANT>

I have logged this cache a couple of times, and the name says it all, Ye Ole Survey Monuments , they are not just trig points. If I remember of the couple I found one was a height datum, another was a stud. If I remember the OS website had the relevant information for the 'Monuments'.

Some of those found are quite intriguing and go back to the early days of OS. :)

I have logged YOSM once when it was close to my home town. I wouldn't go out of my way to log it again, but if it appeared on my doorstep I'd have no issues with it.

Jon

I agree with Jon. I have logged it three times. I would not make a special trip to log it, but if I am near one of the waypoints then I will have no probs with logging it again. It takes more effort to log this than it does to fall out of the car and log a drive by. I fail to see why Sensei is ranting.

Hmmm, how does that square with your logging this cache twice, when invited to do so by me? (March 20th 2006). I am more than happy that you got an extra smilie for helping me out there, but it does not seem to correspond to your most recent ranty stance on the subject :blink:

oh, just seen Rutsons note after posting this. Just to re-iterate, I am HAPPY that Lester logged my cache twice, I have no problems with it at all. You have to watch out for evil stats junkies on here, Lester!!! I worry about your blood pressure with all this ranting :(:):)

Edited by Alibags

Hmmm, how does that square with your logging this cache twice, when invited to do so by me? (March 20th 2006). I am more than happy that you got an extra smilie for helping me out there, but it does not seem to correspond to your most recent ranty stance on the subject :)

My sentiments exactly Ali, see my post above ^^^^^^

oh, just seen Rutsons note after posting this. Just to re-iterate, I am HAPPY that Lester logged my cache twice, I have no problems with it at all. You have to watch out for evil stats junkies on here, Lester!!!

Just as outforthehunt is happy ;-)

Oh yeah, and evil is a bit harsh :-$

I wondered that too before we first did the cache so emailed the cache owner. The reply I got was

"John

There are 209 that can be logged. If you download the GPX file that will give you the list that can be found. They can be found at any time. I add new one to the page and the older ones end up in the GPX file.

Brian"

I tried downloading the GPX file, but did not find the list mentioned. Opening it in GSAK didn't do anything and opening it in Notepad didn't reveal a list either. Any help gratefully received.

Edited by walkergeoff

At least we dont have problems like this USA event cache where every temporary event only cache entitled attendees to log additional found its on the event just scroll down the page to see what i mean :)

Well, I guess it gets round the "You have to leave them there for 3 months minimum" rule [:blink:][:(][:)]

I've been thinking about this thread most of the day and I think I've come to the conclusion that everyone else has. We all play the game our own way. This is an unusual cache in itself because like the Bolas Heathens said, actually it's harder to do than most other virtuals.

Personally, I have enough to do, trying to find the time get traditionals and wondering when the camping season starts without getting worked up about this.

I have never said that someone should not log a cache twice - despite the so called mantra I appear to have been stuck with now.

the instances quoted wer all done with explicit permission from the setters as they had been moved and the wishes of the placer complied with. My gripe is seeing this cache logged many times over and over by the same cacher.

As I said in the OP it is my personal view and has nothing whatsoever to do with the way anybody wishes to play the game. It's amazing how little leeway you lot give to anyone who may disagree with your views.

My post was purely a personal rant and not a finger pointing witch hunt which most of you seem to love to do on this forum at the first opportunity which arises.

I didn't ask for a mud slinging competition, nor did I ask for anyone to justify what they do, just opinions on whether you agree that by logging this cache 10, 20 or more times is a good way to boost your numbers and shows a fair representation to your stats.

I can see why, now, the reason that some Newbies, lurkers and others refrain from posting to the forum.

Me: thick skinned and don't really care. Maybe I should change...

I can see why, now, the reason that some Newbies, lurkers and others refrain from posting to the forum.

Agreed :laughing:

Me: thick skinned and don't really care. Maybe I should change...

Disagree :laughing:

Idea for a new game! Get a sock puppet account and try and log all the YOSM thingies and nothing else on it. First one to get the lot - could have a whole new stats league on this one.

........ just opinions on whether you agree that by logging this cache 10, 20 or more times is a good way to boost your numbers and shows a fair representation to your stats.

OK, here's my opinion ;):laughing:

I do not agree that it's a good way to boost your number count. The reason for my opinion is that you have to visit loads of places spread throughout the country to be able to log it lots of times.

A much easier way to boost your numbers would be to visit an area with a large number of caches in, such as Oxford, London, Newcastle etc. Or you could do one of the caching series like the ones situated along canals and long distance routes.

I don't think anyone is logging this cache loads of times to boost their numbers, I think they are doing it because they like visiting all the different types of survey points. :laughing:<_<;)

With regards the stats, yes I think it's a fair representation. B)

For the record, none of my posts on this thread have been intended to be digs at you or written with the intention of "having a go" at you. ;) You gave us your opinion and I've given you mine. B);)

We cool? :P

I have never logged this one but I have always wanted to. I like visiting trig points (thats how I got into geocaching). However all the nearby YOSM are rivets and bolts and try as I might I cant bring myself to go and find a little bit of metal and log it as a cache.

However all the nearby YOSM are rivets and bolts and try as I might I cant bring myself to go and find a little bit of metal and log it as a cache.

Actually, if you have a look, that's not the case. The nearest one to you (Hordern Stoops), is a surface block, but the next 3 nearest (Mellor, Windy Bank amd Naze Point) are all trig pillars.

P. S. To all the 'Cache Police' out there:

We've logged the YOSM cache 17 times, and have visited 17 different locations and found 17 different items in order to do that. I still don't see the 'moral' difference between doing that and logging the same tupperware box again because it's moved.

And if you come on the forum ranting, don't complain if others reply on the same thread with the opposite opinion. Maybe next time add the phrase 'Please only reply if you agree with me'.

T

From the cache page:

The cache can be logged from previous postings. Check out the Download link below

TU Rutson, a case of RTFM for me :laughing:

I just downloaded the .CSV file into MM and all these new 'caches' have appeared :laughing:

Mysteriously though... not the one I actually did log (Staple Hill, Chobham Common)?

Jon

<RANT Mode - ON>

</RANT>

Although I am not a newbie; I am most definetly not a lurker or other. :laughing:

I have visited other virtual caches where you need to i) answer a question; or ii) take a photo. This process is no different to when I have visited the various YOSM locations so far i.e. I either i) answer a question; or ii) take a photo. So when you say that I have not been actually caching - please point out the difference between visiting a YOSM virtual cache site and another virtual cache site.