60 Csx caching compatible

hayndog

I'm trying to decide which unit to upgrade to and have narrowed the choices down to the Explorist 500 or the GPSmap 60 Csx.

The feature I really like about the Explorist is the caching software that comes with the unit and I can't find any literature anywhere indicating the 60 Csx has similar software.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct and if so why would I spend the extra $100.00 or so to buy the 60 Csx.

The only concern I have with the Explorist is that there seems to be a large number of people reporting problems with the units and subsequent problems with tech support.

Thanks,

Hayndog

I am having trouble understanding what you're asking...

Can the 60 CSx be used for geocaching as-is? Yes. Does its basic software on the unit allow you to use it caching? Yes.

Is the CSx worth the extra money? YES...it's pretty much the best unit on the market.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

The question I was asking is this. Magellan Explorist series GPS units come with a program called Geocache Manager. The Program isn't great but gives enough info that you could go paperless and Palm Pilotless if you wanted to. I want to know if the Garmin GPSMap 60 Csx has a similar program installed with the package, is it easy to use and easy to load information in to?

While I'm asking questions again, what makes the 60 Csx and or the 60 Cs "the best unit on the market"? The Explorist series is much cheaper and appears to be much more ergonomically friendly, they are smaller, and a ton of people appear to have them.

I don't like the idea of the big antenae sticking up out of the 60 Csx.

Hayndog

The 60CSx is the best on the market, but if you don't like the antenna sticking out of the case, check out the Garmin Venture Cx or the Vista Cx. They don't have the super-sensitive chip of the 60CSx, but they are excellent units and can auto-route you with the City Navigator maps installed.

Because of horror stories I have heard about Magellan service, and poor reliability and durability of the units, I would stay away from Magellan.

Edited by Miragee

Hayndog

I might be wrong, but I thought the advantage of the antenna is that the unit can pick up a signal pretty much regardless of the way you are holding it; I thought the antenna was effectively four different facing antennas arranged in a square, where as the more 'ergonomic' devices have one flat antenna integrated above or below the display.

I can't comment on whether the 60C(s)x units are the best, but they are very good and I'm very happy with mine. I've had several types of GPS units over the years, and the both the 60CSx and 60Cx are the quickest to aquire, most solid to retain and robust to use.

The caching software is basic on the unit - essentially you can classify one type of waypoint as a 'Geocache' and then the unit will allow you to 'find' and 'locate next nearest' etc. It's not great and on it's own does not provide enough information to go paperless.

I used GSAK to manage my Geocaches on the PC, and take advatage of it's ability to re-map the geocaches to a set of custom icons on the GPS unit so you can see if caches are traditional, multi etc. This makes the unit more useful, but I still take a PDA with GPX sonar on for more information.

The 60CSx is the best on the market, but if you don't like the antenna sticking out of the case, check out the Garmin Venture Cx or the Vista Cx. They don't have the super-sensitive chip of the 60CSx, but they are excellent units and can auto-route you with the City Navigator maps installed.

Because of horror stories I have heard about Magellan service, and poor reliability and durability of the units, I would stay away from Magellan.

Thats exactly the kind of information I needed to hear, thank you very much.

The question I was asking is this. Magellan Explorist series GPS units come with a program called Geocache Manager. The Program isn't great but gives enough info that you could go paperless and Palm Pilotless if you wanted to.

I have an Explorist 500 - and in no way shape or form is the geocache manager good enough that you can go paperless or palm pilotless.

I can and do use it to do regular caches when I'm traveling around the state - and you can read some of the hint, sometimes. However, it gives you very little info on the cache itself, and is no help for a mystery/puzzle cache, nor any cache that you need more than a waypoint to find.

While I have no experience with the Garmin geocache software, painting the Explorist as a paperless geocaching unit is very misleading.

The question I was asking is this. Magellan Explorist series GPS units come with a program called Geocache Manager. The Program isn't great but gives enough info that you could go paperless and Palm Pilotless if you wanted to. I want to know if the Garmin GPSMap 60 Csx has a similar program installed with the package, is it easy to use and easy to load information in to?

While I'm asking questions again, what makes the 60 Csx and or the 60 Cs "the best unit on the market"? The Explorist series is much cheaper and appears to be much more ergonomically friendly, they are smaller, and a ton of people appear to have them.

Hayndog

Garmin doesn't need an extra program. MapSource already has the ability to read and write both GPX and LOC files, so no additional program is needed.

Thank you to everyone for the great advice, it sounds like the 60 Cx or CSX is the way to go and I think I'll do just that. I have a friend who just purchased an Explorist 210 and compared to my Etrex the geocache manager seemed pretty useful so I guess it's all a perspective thing. I've been caching for about 9 months +/- with a $99.00 Etrex and when you see a unit like an Explorist 210 it's like comparing a Chevette to a Corvette.

I was at my first cache event recently and noticed a lot of 60 CSX unit's and realized there was probably a reason for that.

Hayndog

The same can be said about Garmin :laughing: To be honest I have both Garmin and Magellan and have had zero problems with either one (although the sportrak map whoops the 60cs in the woods). Same goes for their service. I called Magellans support a few weeks ago for a battery holder and they were nothing but fast, friendly and helpful.

Thank you to everyone for the great advice, it sounds like the 60 Cx or CSX is the way to go and I think I'll do just that. I have a friend who just purchased an Explorist 210 and compared to my Etrex the geocache manager seemed pretty useful so I guess it's all a perspective thing. I've been caching for about 9 months +/- with a $99.00 Etrex and when you see a unit like an Explorist 210 it's like comparing a Chevette to a Corvette.

I was at my first cache event recently and noticed a lot of 60 CSX unit's and realized there was probably a reason for that.

Hayndog

60CSx = Lamborghini :laughing:

Edited by Prime Suspect
The same can be said about Garmin :laughing: To be honest I have both Garmin and Magellan and have had zero problems with either one (although the sportrak map whoops the 60cs in the woods). Same goes for their service. I called Magellans support a few weeks ago for a battery holder and they were nothing but fast, friendly and helpful.

Judging from what people post here, your experiences are the exception, rather than the rule...in general, Garmin's support and service whoops Magellan's...

60CSx = Lamborghini :laughing:

Dang straight... <_<

Judging from what people post here, your experiences are the exception, rather than the rule...in general, Garmin's support and service whoops Magellan's...

After 3 phone calls to them and no problems then I would say that most people here are exaggerating a bit when it comes to the customer service problems. As far as who makes the better unit is a toss up. Both make good units and both have a track record for units breaking. Its the same old Chevy v Ford argument B)

After 3 phone calls to them and no problems then I would say that most people here are exaggerating a bit when it comes to the customer service problems. As far as who makes the better unit is a toss up. Both make good units and both have a track record for units breaking. Its the same old Chevy v Ford argument :P

Well, I dunno...it's good that you have had great experiences. Everyone should be able to get this from a company. However, if you read the forums, many people...many different people...have had less-than-stellar experiences. I think that is telling...surely, all these people aren't exaggerating. B)