Some child (additional) waypoints missing in pocket queries

churinga

When getting a pocket query by email, this contains 2 files - a main waypoint file and a child waypoint file, containing (almost) all child or additional waypoints.

why almost?

it looks like only those waypoints which have public coordinates are included.

this may be a problem!

take e.g. the cache GC10K2Y.

this cache has 6 additional waypoints, numbered 01-06.

waypoint 01 is parking coords and has public coords. this waypoint is contained in the child waypoint file.

waypoints 02-06 have no public coords, but have the 'questions to answer' attached.

these waypoints are not contained in the child waypoint file, but the text, attached to them is also missing in the main waypoint file, i.e. if i base on pocket queries, i have no chance to solve this cache, as i do not get the questions to answer.

i think there are two possible ways for Groundspeak to solve this.

- also child waypoints without coords are included into the child waypoint file

- text, attached to waypoints, is also included into the main cache description

i hope that groundspeakers read this and provide a quick solution for this problem.

The reason that child waypoints were put into a GPX file was so that they could easily uploaded into a GPS. Without coordinates, there is no reason that these waypoints without coordinates are included in the GPX file.

It should be up to the cache owner to ensure that the cache descirption contains the necessary information to solve the cache.

i agree that it makes not a lot of sense, to get waypoints without coords as individual child waypoints.

but nevertheless, i think such waypoint data should be included in the main cache description of a pocket query, in the way i see it on the online html page.

how can i get an official statement from Groundspeak about this?

i think if Groundspeak is not willing to do any changes to pocket queries, this should be written in the rules for additional waypoints, as users of pocket queries won't get the full cache description, the way it is today.

but nevertheless, i think such waypoint data should be included in the main cache description of a pocket query, in the way i see it on the online html page.

how can i get an official statement from Groundspeak about this?

I very much agree. This has been an ongoing problem for over half a year now:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry2507423

Edited by roolku

The reason that child waypoints were put into a GPX file was so that they could easily uploaded into a GPS. Without coordinates, there is no reason that these waypoints without coordinates are included in the GPX file.

It should be up to the cache owner to ensure that the cache descirption contains the necessary information to solve the cache.

The cache page indicated and many others do contain the information needed.

Its Groundspeak who are not sending it in the PQ or explaining that the information needs to be in the MAIN description and not in the additional waypoint section.

Either way it is a recurring issue on many caches and to add insult to injury caches will not be approved if they dont use the additional waypoints .

CMON Groundspeak include the additional waypoint text in the main description field of the GPX file.

The cache page indicated and many others do contain the information needed.

Its Groundspeak who are not sending it in the PQ or explaining that the information needs to be in the MAIN description and not in the additional waypoint section.

Either way it is a recurring issue on many caches and to add insult to injury caches will not be approved if they dont use the additional waypoints .

CMON Groundspeak include the additional waypoint text in the main description field of the GPX file.

If there are coordinates required for additional waypoints, and those coordinates are not public (ie. they are hidden coords, but the waypoint is visible publicly) then one solution is to fill in the associated cache's posted coordinates for all hidden-child-waypoints. I would love this!

In the field, I am always adding a new waypoint for multi-caches as I find each stage. If all of the child waypoints were already there in my GPS, I could just go edit them as needed, and I would never hit that dreaded 'Waypoint memory full!" message..... at least not in the field.