4th Annual Shropshire Cache Event... In Jeopardy!

HazelS

Hello All...

Lynn from Team Maddie is still poorly, and as far as we know, unable to take on the organisation of the Annual Shrops event.

As most people know, Shrops is THE event of the year, and last year was a bumper year.

Now that the Great Redmondo's have confirmed that they have not been approached to take over the organisation of this, it seems that we are in danger of losing the event from our calendars for this year.

Traditionally this is the 1st weekend after August Bank holiday weekend, although many people choose to arrive earlier, from the Wed onwards to make a good long weekend of it.

Would there be any merit in trying to organise something? we surely cannot lose this event from our calendars!

I'm happy to look at campsites and all that, and lots of people have said they can give a hand where they can... anyone else willing to pitch in and help? :rolleyes:

I believe another shropshire cacher is taking up the riegns.

He does not visit the forums these days so i have emailed him about this thread.

Oh that's great Lynn!!!

Thanks...

Maybe you could keep us informed? I know from Geochat that there are lots of people willing to help out....

I believe another shropshire cacher is taking up the riegns.

He does not visit the forums these days so i have emailed him about this thread.

Oh that's great Lynn!!!

Thanks...

Maybe you could keep us informed? I know from Geochat that there are lots of people willing to help out....

Its Mark BTW :rolleyes:

Were not doing any events this year but were contacted about this at the end of last year as we look after the geoevent website. We will help out as much as we are able.

Sorry to hear Lynn is still poorly we may try to pop across and see her when we go out that way next

Hi Everyone,

Lynn and I are sorry but we have been very inactive on the Geocaching front; pretty much since last years Shrops event. It was only the weekend following this that Lynn came down with a serious chest infection which still plagues her along with her other ongoing medical problems.

We have discussed the issue of this years Shrops event at some length. Last years event was advertised as hopefully being somewhat of a transition with the event starting to move around the country. We had ear-marked a campsite in Dorset (not known for it's strong winds) for this years event and Lynn had started to make moves toward it's organisation even before last years event took place. She had approached a few people about helping to organise this with positive results. (Thanks:) However, the issues with Lynn's health pushed it all onto a back-burner.

It's really nice to hear folks talking so encouragingly about Shrops even after last years event nearly got blown all the way to Scandinavia! But, frustrating for Lynn as it is, she feels that to take on another event of this magnitude would probably be too much for her in her present condition. Hopefully, by the summer she will be much better and capable but there are no guarantees so to plan on this basis would be folly.

We are aware, as Mark says, of another event being organised in this part of the world by another Geocacher but I believe that this will be held more towards the middle of summer and we know little more about this at the moment.

Lynn and I would love to see someone else take the reigns for this years event and would offer as much support and help as we could. Lynn is more than happy to take a back-seat role and share with the new organisers, the lessons learned from previous events and the plans and ideas that she had. The intended title was to be 'Shrops - The Quest Continues'. Basically the same theme as last years but, as always, striving to reach the elusive 'Mega Event' status.

So, if someone wishes to step up to the plate please do and please accept our willingness to assist as much as we can.

Best Regards,

Martin & Lynn

I'm happy to help out, but:

a) my own camping event comes 1st,

:rolleyes: my house renovations start in 6 weeks and

c) I've just been promoted,

so although I can help out as much as I can, I can't take over per se.

However, I would give as much time as I could to this - especially as I had already promised Lynn this before last years shrops.

I've had a load of texts from cachers this afternoon all saying they'd be happy to help out, but I really cannot be the one to coordinate this... as much as I'd love to - I couldn't see it out til the end.

So...

Very very very willing to help all I can, but I cannot take over!!

You know where to find me when and if you need help!

I was one of the people asked by Lynn to help out with this year's Shrops, and I know there are others who frequent this forum who were also asked. I believe there were a few of us, as Lynn was setting up a committee in the hope that this year's Shrops would become a mega event. No doubt the other people who were asked will see this thread when they return from work or over the next couple of days when they visit the forum. I am more than happy to take on a bigger role in this, although it would be really good to have at least two or three more people involved to help out. It would be good if we could follow tradition and keep to the first weekend in September. If someone else has already started to get this off the ground, then that is great and my offer to help still stands. I've got another camping event in the planning stage for July, but as I don't have work commitments, it won't be a problem to take on this extra role. :rolleyes:

:P Lynn ... sorry to hear that you are still so poorly, love and hugs to you. Let's hope you will be well enough for next year's Shrops :rolleyes:

Liane

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

We think the event should stay in the same week as it has always been. It has always falled nicely for us, and I am sure for the other family cachers that have the little ones, in regard to go a couple of extra days, before school returns, always enables us able to travel wherever. (I know this is not the case throughout the UK)

We are truly sorry Lynn is so unwell, and feel, in responce to their post, that they are happy to carry on the tradition, and have to say, that it was their Shrops events, that we made so many good friends from across the whole of the UK, that we would have never met otherwise.

Like Hazel, we have work commitments, myself (Nat) especially so, BUT would and will, if we can help out wherever.... and the commitee thing sounds good, where several cachers get a role, and that would be their task if you like.

I think no one really knows the planning that goes into these camp over events, unless you have done one yourself, its not the same of lets go to the pub.... etc, there is a lot of worrying, over campsite rules, kid friendlyness, doggies, are groups allowed, and having to accomodate the day visitors, and a hundred other things.

Hard work for sure.

Give us a shout if even we can do the smallest of things to get it back this year, and we can take the pressure off Lynn, and she can enjoy the event, instead of having the worry!

well said everyone... Thanks!!

Like I said - I'll do all I can to help in the time I have available...

I was also expecting to do some work for lynn on shrops, so not liek I didn't know I'd have to spend some time doing it.

Lynn... We ALL miss you - especially in chat... I really hope you'll feel much better soon, and that you come back to events with your very special morning coffee pot!!!

xxxxx

Hi,

I wish you a speedy recovery Lynn.

It would be very sad to lose the Shrops do.

After the winds took our tent away we have now bought a new one mainly for this event. A large 8 berth just for Kev and myself, I like plenty of space lol. Ive also booked a fortnight off work so we can have our proper holiday for the year whilst we are down there.

I wish I could help, I am an activitie organiser after all. But unless I lose my job I cant see how I would have the time. Im trying to sort a camping do out in Edale and wondering what ive let myself in for lol.

I hope this gets sorted and if I can help please ask me. Ill do my best. The most important thing is that Lynn gets well and dosnt worry about the event wether its on or not.

Yorkypuddingxxxx

Hi,

I wish you a speedy recovery Lynn.

It would be very sad to lose the Shrops do.

After the winds took our tent away we have now bought a new one mainly for this event. A large 8 berth just for Kev and myself, I like plenty of space lol. Ive also booked a fortnight off work so we can have our proper holiday for the year whilst we are down there.

I wish I could help, I am an activitie organiser after all. But unless I lose my job I cant see how I would have the time. Im trying to sort a camping do out in Edale and wondering what ive let myself in for lol.

I hope this gets sorted and if I can help please ask me. Ill do my best. The most important thing is that Lynn gets well and dosnt worry about the event wether its on or not.

Yorkypuddingxxxx

Count me in as well!! Shrops last year was our first event and will always be the best.

I wont be able to take on the whole thing, as I work full time now, but can pitch in where/if needed. Hope its still in or near Shrops :)

Get well soon Lynn!! It wouldnt be the same without you.

Thought it might be a good thing to bring this thread back up again ....

Is anyone in contact with Lynn or Martin? I've heard from Mark&Lynn that the person they thought was going to be involved, isn't, so Shropshire is still without a master at the helm. Unless anyone has a burning desire to step up and take it on, or unless Lynn/Martin have any objections, then I would like to start the ball rolling.

The first thing to sort is the location for this year. I seem to remember something being said about holding the event near Corfe Castle this year but as to whether or not a site was sourced I do not know. I think perhaps it would be good to have the event back in Shropshire this year, or somewhere close, so that possibly Team Maddie could attend, even if as day visitors. I'm not sure how possible that is given Lynn's poor health, but it would seem a fitting gesture. Feedback on this suggestion, and any other ideas people have, would be gratefully received. Liane :shocked:

Good Idea Liane...

I do know that a certain caching team (not me) were planning a caching event camping stylee on shrops weekend but I don't know if they're any further ahead with that.

They DO Live close enough to shrops to have it there..... BUT.... I suggested to them they have it in their neck of the woods and call it "THe NOT shrops event"

PM me in MSN liane, I'll tell you the details